PG Music Home
Posted By: RnAM Strange Delight (Jazz category contest entry) - 09/28/16 09:32 PM

My third contest submission in the jazz category has remained virtually unnoticed.
For those who didn't get a chance to listen, and would like to ;-) here it is:

Strange Delight

Further specifics about the song can be found in the original post here

Thanks for listening, and feel free to comment.

Rob
"But now you're feeling unsure
Could this possibly lead to something more
You remember times you turned away
From every inviting gaze
But how strange this feeling of being together

Lay it down just play it wise
Love all over you
Whatever you'll find
It's such a strange delight"

A strange delight, indeed, Rob... Well penned - a very interesting lyric. I enjoyed your "theatrical" vocal (especially like what you did on "delight...."

The guitar solo is really nice!

I understand that the horns are part of the style you used, but I thought they distracted from the song/lyric - they "pulled my ear away".

You are one heck of a writer. And so very prolific!

fj
Very cool vocal Rob. Loved the lyric
Rob,

This is very different from your usual presentation. I like it! It's great how BIAB can unlock the doors that lead to diverse genres. Like floyd, I was captivated by your singing of "delight". Very cool work!

All the best,
Noel
Thank you Floyd!

About the horns, yes they were part of style, thought I'd leave them in.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the jazz soloist. Haven't used it before, nor heard. This one's probably also very usable in standard pop solos.

Thanks again,
Rob
Rob
Really interesting song - great vocal. I agree it has quite a theatrical feel to it (picked up some Neil Diamond like timbre in the vocal as well).

Nicely done.

Peter
Hi, Rob !:))

I also liked this tune and
performance very much !
Seems there is a jazz soul
in most songwriters ? (:))

Cheers
Dani
Hi Rob,

Cool song, vocal and guitar solo!

Your vocal was reminiscent of Neil Diamond and worked very well. What a range you have too!

Nice one!

Cheers
Rec
Rob,

flipping heck! your vocal gymnastics on delight!

you are one hell of a composer and performer

Alyn
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Very cool vocal Rob. Loved the lyric

Thank you Scott!
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Rob,

This is very different from your usual presentation. I like it! It's great how BIAB can unlock the doors that lead to diverse genres. Like floyd, I was captivated by your singing of "delight". Very cool work!

All the best,
Noel

Thank you Noel!

Yes, that "delight" part took some work ;-)

Rob
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Rob
Really interesting song - great vocal. I agree it has quite a theatrical feel to it (picked up some Neil Diamond like timbre in the vocal as well).

Nicely done.

Peter

Thank you Peter!
Neil Diamond, yes you could be right ;-)

Rob
Rob this is fantastic. I really like the rhythm guitar as it glues everything together. Your vocal is great as are the lyrics. All of this mixed to perfection!

Two thumbs up

As usual, Rob prepared to work to the very edge of everything, working his musical genius
Like a chef putting together something new, the utilization of different instruments here on its own is a delight , all blended within some very interesting lyrics, it’s the cherry on the top.

Paddy G
Rob, Great vocal. You're right that guitar solo would be very useful in a pop song. I enjoyed it. Tom
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Rob !:))

I also liked this tune and
performance very much !
Seems there is a jazz soul
in most songwriters ? (:))

Cheers
Dani

Thank you Dani!
You are definitely right, with band in a box even I can be a jazz singer ;-)

Rob
Originally Posted By: receder
Hi Rob,

Cool song, vocal and guitar solo!

Your vocal was reminiscent of Neil Diamond and worked very well. What a range you have too!

Nice one!

Cheers
Rec

Thanks Receder!
Definitely cool to be compared to Neil Diamond's Sound. I have to say those high-pitched parts took some work ;-)

Rob
Excellent tones in this song. Great guitar. Good job!!
Originally Posted By: gibson
Rob,

Alyn

Thank you Alyn!
Your comments are much appreciated.

Rob
Rob,

Alyn

Well, that about covers it!

You are one multifaceted artist. The write, production and vocals on this production are quite the outlier from a lot of your productions but, man, does it all every work. Excellent. And thanks for introducing that guitar RT solo...lot of possibilities there!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Rob,

Alyn

Well, that about covers it!

You are one multifaceted artist. The write, production and vocals on this production are quite the outlier from a lot of your productions but, man, does it all every work. Excellent. And thanks for introducing that guitar RT solo...lot of possibilities there!

J&B

Thanks guys! As always appreciated!
Yes, this particular soloist offers lots of possibilities for all kinds of styles.
I had never tried it before, but will definitely try it again in more songs.

Rob
Extremely creative and well done!! You never fall into generic chord progressions but your music always works very well-not easy to achieve! Vocals are superb-even better than your normal great vocals. Very high quality production in every way!! Take care. Greg
Rob, this is outstanding! Your vocals always amaze me. I agree that there is a bit of a Neil Diamond vibe in this. You nailed the vocals. So good, and so versatile.

Steve
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Extremely creative and well done!! You never fall into generic chord progressions but your music always works very well-not easy to achieve! Vocals are superb-even better than your normal great vocals. Very high quality production in every way!! Take care. Greg

Rob, this expresses my feelings as well, and yet, as a jazz buff who is always looking for that little something extra, I feel that I must add more.

I was particularly impressed with the care you took in seeking out and exploring the sub-dominant tonalities lying within the stolen chords borrowed from adjacent key signatures.

While I suspected you would throw a cadential subdominant chord followed by a tonic chord in places just to produce a plagal nod to conventional resolution, you did not and I congratulate you for it! Not content to just add a Maj7 and say “Hey that’s Jazz, let’s call it a day” you carefully took the time to construct a melodic chord progression with the serpentine but confident grace of a Thelonius Monk, while still allowing for devilish atonal comparisons to the verbal nuances of the lyric sounds themselves.

But you didn’t stop there! Reveling in the cornucopia image to which the song’s key imagery was aligned, you added the extra to the extra by choosing notes that might seem random at times, had they not come from the rich tonal basket of post-modern jazz, thus allowing you to be not only in sync with the art form, but ahead of it at the same time.

To me, the jazz was jazzy man, and I totally dig it.

My good friend the jazz critic at the Times says to say “hi” and did you receive the bottle of Veuve Cliquot he sent a few weeks ago along with the Monet etchings.

We have to jam sometime.
Hi Rob Meulman, Nice work on this song! - The progression is quite nice, especially with those horns its a good touch! Well done!
Thank you Greg!

Such a positive comment, I'm flattered ;-)

Thank you Steve, much appreciated!
I'm doing my best to be versatile, it's actually not very hard with such a beautiful program :-)

David,

Man, what an analysis of my song and what a music knowledge you have! I didn't know I could write like that ;-)
Just kidding, your comment is really appreciated!
My theoretical knowledge of music is next to none. I play guitar and a little bit of keyboard. And I usually try to avoid Jazzy chords ;-)
But in this case I wanted to merge a jazz song into the contest. Actually I created this in just one evening. Came very naturally.
The song's concept itself was based on Leonard Cohen's later work (tried to emulate his 'smokey' voice). Oops, I'm a smoker myself.....

"My good friend the jazz critic at the Times says to say “hi” and did you receive the bottle of Veuve Cliquot he sent a few weeks ago along with the Monet etchings."

No I didn't, but he probably doesn't have my address ;-)

Yes, let's do a duo song sometime.

Rob
Hi

couldn't make a word out you were saying headphones were popping .

can you repost it .?
Sure, let's do it man!!

I guess the short version of my post is that you were REALLY unconventional with this, and that is what jazz is all about!!

So, yeah, let's do something together sometime!!

smile
Hm, almost missed this one. Very good Rob. Yep some Neil Diamond sound going on there (although it sounds that you can go higher than him)Great song all around.

Mike B.
I'm going to wrap this one up, don't want to clutter up the forum.

Thank you Steve, Joe and Mike. Comments are well appreciated!

Colly, I cannot reproduce your problem with the track......

Rob
© PG Music Forums