PG Music Home
Hello, my musical family. Here's a song that hit me first thing in the morning. I woke up with the beginning of the chorus in my head. Went to BIAB, and pulled up the vintage rock with the electric 12 string. Typed in a few chords, and when the music played, it was in the same key that it entered my subconsciousness it---WEIRD!!, but COOL!! Anyway, this song would have sounded a lot more contemporary on the radio in 1966. What can a say? That's my era of musical awakening. Hope you enjoy. Comments always encouraged. Your feedback is most of what inspires me to write. Take care. Greg

Can’t get it through my heart

I called you Ruby Tuesday, cause you changed with each new day
Ever new, exciting, we were gliding on our way
Exploring each new color from the palate of your love
I felt the light come shining down from heaven up above

Then suddenly, it seemed everything was wrong
Then one morning, you destroyed my favorite song

You said “Get it through your head, now baby”
“We had our time; It’s over”
We were not forever; Didn’t you get that from the start?
And your words were clear as crystal
So I got it through my head
But still, I just can’t get it through my heart

I’ve never been that lucky when it came down to romance
From the time that I first saw you, never thought I had a chance
I couldn’t have been more flattered when you lured me with your smile
Visions of euphoria, and walking down the aisle

In one heartbeat, the signal changed from green to red
My heart stopped when you looked at me and said

You said…

Who needs this heartache?
Love is so absurd
You made my heart break
In six or seven words

You said….

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/cant-get-it-thru-my-heart
Greg this is my all time favorite of yours, to date that is!

I like everything about this one, the vocal, lyrics, backing tracks and mix. Your harmonies during the chorus were perfect, Beach Boy, Grass Roots' style. The 12 string make it sound a little like the Byrds. Actually any number of groups from that era could have sang this one.

This is a keeper.
Greg,

Cool opening with that ringing 12-string and lines that grab the attention:

the whole song captures the sound of the great musical era you lean towards, so to heck with contemporary!
I always enjoy your vocals- reminds me of Don Henley.
Another very good song.

Robert
Greg,
That was a truly fantastic arrangement.
Beautiful harmonies - great tune, excellent lyric, nice choice of backing RT's (could quote many bands Beach Boys, Monkees, Byrds etc).
A brilliant effort.

Peter
This is really strange, I had almost the same chord progression and melody playing in my head when I woke up this morning, but haven't started my BIAB yet. This has to be a current hit on the dream radio station wink And probably I don't have to try to replicate it because you have made it into such a lovely pop song having kind of 60's and 80's mixed together nicely. Great lyrics and beautiful singing as always.

Janne
Quote:

yeh, that says it all!!

Was it really 4.20 cos it went so fast and needed an immediate 2nd play.

Beautiful vocals and harmonies
marvelous!

really enjoyed that

Alyn
The moment I heard those words "Ruby Tuesday" I knew you had a hit!

Just kidding! But seriously Greg. I don't think anyone can say where this song came from. The only thing that matters is that it's not gone.

Ok, I'll stop!!! smile Greg, I really loved this production and your vocal is outstanding. Perhaps the best vocal I have heard from you yet. Really top notch.

Cheers!
Beautiful song, beautiful lyric. Well done Greg

Greg, you've never posted a song that we didn't think was a great listen and this one does not disappoint. In fact we feel that vocal arrangement and execution is amongst your absolute best -- good company smile

Mario mentioned the Byrds and the BB. Sort of like the Beach Boys meet the Byrds and then Don Henley drops by!

Your production well showcases the lyric and the vocals. This is a super addition to our SC playlist!

J&B
Simply beautiful! This reminds me of my all-time favorite of yours 'how love is supposed to feel'.
A very nice 70's feel to it, captures that emotion very well.
Definitely one of your best!

Rob
Greg,

You are SUCH a fine writer! In a just world, you would be a star (or, at the very least, RICH!).

Your productions get tighter with each new offering. Your vocals - which have always been strong - get more and more "in the pocket".

But the real star here is MELODY. It sometimes seems a "lost art". You continually hit the mark - in spades. This has all the earmarks of those great AM hits in the golden era of AM radio - when "catchy was king"... The Turtles! The Grass Roots! Tommy James and the Shondells..."Red Rubber Ball", "Green Tambourine"... Pure Ear Candy.

Awesome.

smile

fj
Really took me back to that era...the mix is perfect for that vibe.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Greg this is my all time favorite of yours, to date that is!

I like everything about this one, the vocal, lyrics, backing tracks and mix. Your harmonies during the chorus were perfect, Beach Boy, Grass Roots' style. The 12 string make it sound a little like the Byrds. Actually any number of groups from that era could have sang this one.

This is a keeper.

Thanks so much for the incredibly kind words Mario! I do love the oldies with the sweet harmonies. It's fun to play around with vocal arrangements. I'm glad to see (and hear) you around so often! Take care. Greg
Hi Greg,

Everyone is right, this is a great song.
I love the 12 string guitar, and the chugging electric. Plus your vocals and harmonies sound brilliant. Probably my favourite song on here at the moment.

Congrats!
Rec
Great song! Those are the best days, when you wake up and it's like all the work has already been done for you smile The 12-string is really wonderful, but my favourite bit has gotta be the vocal melody in the chorus. This wouldn't sound out of place in a John Hughes film (and I mean that in the very best of ways).
Hello, Greg

This song is very pleasant.
Simple but strong Intro.
It sounds like 60's American Pops.
The start of the bridge reminds me of Beach Boys.
Your vocal and chorus are perfect.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Greg,

You surpass yourself with every new posting, this one has no year stamp on it, it is timeless
Would have sounded great, and fitted in way back, will still sound great anytime forward.
It’s just a great song, well sung, with excellent lyrics, and great harmonies

Paddy G
Greg, You can't get it through your heart, but I can't get it out of my head. Maybe you were reading Brian Wilson's new book or you had a musical flashback because I hear his influence at the start of every chorus. What an outstanding melody and vocal performance. Well written lyrics and a good production. I was working on some new stuff a few days ago and listened to this several times. It messed me up so bad I had to go for a walk. Didn't help, it was completely stuck in my head. So I temporarily abandoned my projects and went and watched baseball. Excellent song, downright beautiful! Tom
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Greg,

Cool opening with that ringing 12-string and lines that grab the attention:

the whole song captures the sound of the great musical era you lean towards, so to heck with contemporary!
I always enjoy your vocals- reminds me of Don Henley.
Another very good song.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Your words are much appreciated! It's been really nice hearing the stuff you bring to the forum-really interesting and deep songs! Take care. Greg
Sorry, I meant to comment on this last night but SC just quit on me - kaput - wouldn't play nothing - it's back fine today....

Greg, I love it when you do this kind of song! Beautiful harmonies backing up that wonderful voice - thoughtful lyrics - cool tracks - captures the era which is also one of my favs in music. It's just a totally sweet ride from start to finish.
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Greg,
That was a truly fantastic arrangement.
Beautiful harmonies - great tune, excellent lyric, nice choice of backing RT's (could quote many bands Beach Boys, Monkees, Byrds etc).
A brilliant effort.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I know you and I (as well as many on this forum) appreciate the vintage sound. It's great that BIAB allows is to be easily re-created. Love your guitar on your latest-tasty!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: jannesan
This is really strange, I had almost the same chord progression and melody playing in my head when I woke up this morning, but haven't started my BIAB yet. This has to be a current hit on the dream radio station wink And probably I don't have to try to replicate it because you have made it into such a lovely pop song having kind of 60's and 80's mixed together nicely. Great lyrics and beautiful singing as always.

Janne

Thanks Janne!! Yeah, sometimes I wonder if songs are floating around out there like spirits and sometimes we are open enough to receive them (like in dreams). Appreciate the kind words! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:

yeh, that says it all!!

Was it really 4.20 cos it went so fast and needed an immediate 2nd play.

Beautiful vocals and harmonies
marvelous!

really enjoyed that

Alyn

Thanks so much for your consistent wonderful support Alyn! Love having you around here. Always excited to see a new post by you-I know it will be good! Take care. Greg
Hi Greg, just heard this for the first time. Love the way the melody smoothly glides through this song. Everything was great in particular the vocal. I hear (perhaps subconsciously) strong Roy Orbison and Beach Boys influences here, which is a very good thing!! Take care, Torrey.
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
The moment I heard those words "Ruby Tuesday" I knew you had a hit!

Just kidding! But seriously Greg. I don't think anyone can say where this song came from. The only thing that matters is that it's not gone.

Ok, I'll stop!!! smile Greg, I really loved this production and your vocal is outstanding. Perhaps the best vocal I have heard from you yet. Really top notch.

Cheers!

Thanks David! Yeah, the first line just kind of came into my head, after floating on the breeze for 50 years, so I just went with it. Thanks for your consistent kind words and encouragement. You've been posting some killer stuff! Take care. Greg
This is so good on so many levels. Great write. Excellent arrangement and mix. The vocals and harmonies shine. The melody is spot on.

You've got a song that would fit into the repertoire of so many artists as others have mentioned. All the choices would work but for me, it would really fit with BJ Thomas.

I always look forward to your posts and knowing I'll love the song and performance before I ever hear a note. This is no exception and is my new favorite. Job, well done.

Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Beautiful song, beautiful lyric. Well done Greg

Thanks so much Scott! Just listened to your new one. Beautiful!! Take care. Greg
Hey Greg. Man what a great write! I thought the vocal & backgrounds were outstanding. Excellent production. A true "time nugget"... cool I was 5 in 1966. How old were you?
Greg,

As far as I can tell, "outstanding" and "Greg Johnson" are synomyms!!! This is a really excellent creation. The writing, musical and lyrical, is first class.

I thoroughly enjoy your melodies. I've mentioned this before, but you are one of the best melodists around here. The words you write sit so very comfortably with the note-pitches and -timing that you choose that it's difficult for me to imagine any melodic options other than what you sing. On top of this, your melodies are fresh and indelibly memorable.

Yet another fine song for you collection.

Regards,
Noel
I listened to you latest creation and wow. you are very good. I loved it. I also listened to some of your other song's, is this all "Band in a Box"? I love your style and easy listening songs. I am going to come back and listen to them often, excellent music my friend.
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Greg, you've never posted a song that we didn't think was a great listen and this one does not disappoint. In fact we feel that vocal arrangement and execution is amongst your absolute best -- good company smile

Mario mentioned the Byrds and the BB. Sort of like the Beach Boys meet the Byrds and then Don Henley drops by!

Your production well showcases the lyric and the vocals. This is a super addition to our SC playlist!

J&B

Thanks so much J and B!! Hard to imagine a nicer review. You guys are such a great source of support. Take care. Greg
Good writing! You had me hooked with the opening "Ruby Tuesday" line, I used to own that 45 back in the mid 60's. But, just got better from there. Great vocal! I dig the backup vocal too.
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Simply beautiful! This reminds me of my all-time favorite of yours 'how love is supposed to feel'.
A very nice 70's feel to it, captures that emotion very well.
Definitely one of your best!

Rob

Thanks R and AM! I remember that you liked "How love is supposed to feel". This is definitely the same vibe. Glad you liked it! Take care. Gre
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg,

You are SUCH a fine writer! In a just world, you would be a star (or, at the very least, RICH!).

Your productions get tighter with each new offering. Your vocals - which have always been strong - get more and more "in the pocket".

But the real star here is MELODY. It sometimes seems a "lost art". You continually hit the mark - in spades. This has all the earmarks of those great AM hits in the golden era of AM radio - when "catchy was king"... The Turtles! The Grass Roots! Tommy James and the Shondells..."Red Rubber Ball", "Green Tambourine"... Pure Ear Candy.

Awesome.

This may have been the nicest review I've ever had! I'm tempted to print it out and put in on the wall of my studio for inspiration. Very much appreciated my friend! Take care. Greg

smile

fj

Great one by you. Very well sung.
Excellent rockin' track. Super melody.

Sergio
Originally Posted By: SaxMarc
Really took me back to that era...the mix is perfect for that vibe.

Thanks Marc!! Really appreciate the kind words. Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: receder
Hi Greg,

Everyone is right, this is a great song.
I love the 12 string guitar, and the chugging electric. Plus your vocals and harmonies sound brilliant. Probably my favourite song on here at the moment.

Congrats!
Rec

Thanks Rec! Really loving what you're doing lately! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Great song! Those are the best days, when you wake up and it's like all the work has already been done for you smile The 12-string is really wonderful, but my favourite bit has gotta be the vocal melody in the chorus. This wouldn't sound out of place in a John Hughes film (and I mean that in the very best of ways).

Thanks Will! It's great to see the PG staff commenting on the songs. I'd LOVE to have a song in a film someday. That's pretty much my dream. Thanks for listening. Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Greg

This song is very pleasant.
Simple but strong Intro.
It sounds like 60's American Pops.
The start of the bridge reminds me of Beach Boys.
Your vocal and chorus are perfect.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki! I've been loving your posts lately! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: PaddyG

Hi Greg,

You surpass yourself with every new posting, this one has no year stamp on it, it is timeless
Would have sounded great, and fitted in way back, will still sound great anytime forward.
It’s just a great song, well sung, with excellent lyrics, and great harmonies

Paddy G

Thanks so much Paddy for that extremely kind review. Your words mean a lot to me. Keep posting-always love to hear your stuff! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Greg, You can't get it through your heart, but I can't get it out of my head. Maybe you were reading Brian Wilson's new book or you had a musical flashback because I hear his influence at the start of every chorus. What an outstanding melody and vocal performance. Well written lyrics and a good production. I was working on some new stuff a few days ago and listened to this several times. It messed me up so bad I had to go for a walk. Didn't help, it was completely stuck in my head. So I temporarily abandoned my projects and went and watched baseball. Excellent song, downright beautiful! Tom

Sorry I threw you off the creative track for a bit, but thanks for the extremely kind words. I always love to see what you have to say, and the songs you post! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Sorry, I meant to comment on this last night but SC just quit on me - kaput - wouldn't play nothing - it's back fine today....

Greg, I love it when you do this kind of song! Beautiful harmonies backing up that wonderful voice - thoughtful lyrics - cool tracks - captures the era which is also one of my favs in music. It's just a totally sweet ride from start to finish.

Thanks Sundance!! Always love to hear from you. I treasure your kind words. Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Hi Greg, just heard this for the first time. Love the way the melody smoothly glides through this song. Everything was great in particular the vocal. I hear (perhaps subconsciously) strong Roy Orbison and Beach Boys influences here, which is a very good thing!! Take care, Torrey.

Thanks so much Torrey! I'm loving the sound that you bring-you capture the vibe of one of my favorite eras! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This is so good on so many levels. Great write. Excellent arrangement and mix. The vocals and harmonies shine. The melody is spot on.

You've got a song that would fit into the repertoire of so many artists as others have mentioned. All the choices would work but for me, it would really fit with BJ Thomas.

I always look forward to your posts and knowing I'll love the song and performance before I ever hear a note. This is no exception and is my new favorite. Job, well done.

Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie

Thanks so much for that very kind review Charlie! Much appreciated! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Hey Greg. Man what a great write! I thought the vocal & backgrounds were outstanding. Excellent production. A true "time nugget"... cool I was 5 in 1966. How old were you?

Thanks Greg! In '66, I was 9. I was already diggin' the sounds of the era. What a great era! I'm loving what you're doing! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: trapper456
I listened to you latest creation and wow. you are very good. I loved it. I also listened to some of your other song's, is this all "Band in a Box"? I love your style and easy listening songs. I am going to come back and listen to them often, excellent music my friend.

Thanks so much Trapper! Yeah, pretty much all my songs posted, other than the first 1-2 are BIAB with a rare bass or guitar from local friends. Really appreciate you checking it out. Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good writing! You had me hooked with the opening "Ruby Tuesday" line, I used to own that 45 back in the mid 60's. But, just got better from there. Great vocal! I dig the backup vocal too.

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated! Really loved your last one. Keep posting! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great one by you. Very well sung.
Excellent rockin' track. Super melody.

Sergio

Thanks Sergio. Really appreciate the kind words! Always enjoy your sweet guitar instrumentals! Take care. Greg
Super cool and catchy song. The lyrical hook works very well especially how you stage it musically

Well done on every level.
Greg,

This would sound great on the radio today - so cool. Love the vocal - my favorite from you...

Bob
© PG Music Forums