PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 05:26 PM
Hey Friends,
Here's a new little ditty I wrote about missing and remembering Nashville.

Going Back To Music City VIDEO on Youtube - nothing too fancy tried to keep focus on the song.
Going Back To Music City AUDIO ONLY on Soundcloud.

Hope you enjoy listening. Your time and comments are always appreciated.

RTs - Drums Jive SW; Bass 2132; Guitars 961,2442; Steel 622,2543; Fiddle 1694,1544; Harmonies and vocal recorded with Gauge ECM-87 into EMU 0404USB. Mixed with Reaper 64 v5.26.

Going Back To Music City ©2016 Josie Beck
Today it seem so far away from that young and innocent time
It's been so long since I've been home Tennessee's on my mind
Call me nostalgic I'm plain homesick to feel that way again
I'm playing those songs we grew up on and I remember when

Yeah I'm going back to Music City to that little big country town
With Roy Acuff and Miss Minnie down at that Grand Ole Opry House
Yeah I'm going back to Music City in my mind I can see it now
I'd like to thank every ol' hillbilly for that Nashville Country sound

Tammy and Loretta sing about fellas, Bill whispers and makes us cry
Mother Maybelle's songs bring us home in that sweet old by and by
Banjo and fiddle taking turns with a little Turkey In The Straw
Then Buck is picking and Roy is grinning while we all laugh with HeeHaw

Those little bungelows on Music Row left us with the stars
Time has flown but they shine on those streets in my heart
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 06:52 PM
Hey Josie,

This is super fun!! Great performance and great song--great everything. I loved everything about it. Now, if they were still publishing songs this good, well...

But that's a topic for another day!!

smile

Again, loved this.

P.S. I also thought video was perfect. Just right, and not distracting. Great job.
Posted By: colly Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 07:57 PM
Hi

I have just come across your music i.e. on sound cloud you have an amazing voice ....Karen carpenter. Shania twain ...come to mind when I listened to some of your songs.

Don't take this the wrong way but your music is spot on as well. But it could be better mixed i.e. .

The music should be wrapped around your voice to be pro sounding.

You really are in my opinion the best female vocalist I have heard on here.

I would love to have a chance to remix one of your songs.

It would be a pleasure.

Take care
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 08:14 PM
Ugh,

I think I have to do a forum interception here and I will state that I am being gentle Colly because I know you are new to the forum and we are glad to have you here. However:

Josie does indeed have a great voice but saying she is the "best" implies others are not as good and we just don't do that around here. This is not our forum etiquette. I am sure it was accidental, but this is just not done. There are many, many splendid female vocalists on this forum who all have their own unique style, and all have beautiful voices.

It is not one's place to say who is "best" and "better"--this is a community of tightly knit people, and, again, that is just not done. Also, some people spend a lot of time on their mixes and present them as they wanted them to sound.

If they ASK for feedback on the mix suggesting they are looking for a re-mixer that is one thing, but if they don't you probably should not offer. I could be off the mark here, but I think global comments about the mixing quality of someone's entire catalog is just not done, unless some asks for that kind of help. Maybe others have different ideas. That is just mine.

Josie, I think the song was mixed great.

Colly, I hope you receive this in the gracious spirit in which it is intended. I am trying to be helpful for the future, not critical, and I am sorry if I come across as a school marm.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 08:51 PM
Sundance,

A really enjoyable feel-good country song. Very good vocal ( I`m hearing a bit of Suzy Bogguss - warm and genuine with a nice hiccup in the right places!).
BiaB has such a wealth of backing tracks for country - your choices sound on the money to me.

Robert
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 09:24 PM
Josie,

This is great! I listened to the audio first and then watched the video.

I really liked the arrangement and the way you mixed instruments and background vocals in and out of the mix so that audio helped paint the story. The mix sounded terrific on my system. When I closed my eyes and focused, I could isolate and listen to each individual component of the arrangement. This is what I always try to achieve with my own work. I find it so elusive, though. You've done really well.

To my ears, your vocals are magnificent. The clarity and the up-front sound are perfect. It's easy to hear just how much effort and planning has gone into creating this production.

In case you are interested, thoughts that sprang to my mind as I listened were: 'great beat', 'this sounds so good', 'Josie's performance is excellent', 'I love the clarity of the mix', 'first class work'.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: edshaw Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 10:06 PM
Liked that Going Back To Music City. The Soundcloud collection taken as a whole has a lot of good stuff in it. Closer Walk sounds fine. (ed)
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 11:20 PM
Quote:
Hey Josie,

This is super fun!! Great performance and great song--great everything. I loved everything about it. Now, if they were still publishing songs this good, well...

But that's a topic for another day!!

Again, loved this.

P.S. I also thought video was perfect. Just right, and not distracting. Great job.

Thank you David! I appreciate that. It was fun to do and my husband got to get involved. I like today's music too but I guess you always like what you grew up on best.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 11:29 PM
Originally Posted By: colly
Hi

I have just come across your music i.e. on sound cloud you have an amazing voice ....Karen carpenter. Shania twain ...come to mind when I listened to some of your songs.

Don't take this the wrong way but your music is spot on as well. But it could be better mixed i.e. .

The music should be wrapped around your voice to be pro sounding.

You really are in my opinion the best female vocalist I have heard on here.

I would love to have a chance to remix one of your songs.

It would be a pleasure.

Take care

Thank you Colly! That's so sweet of you to say. You obviously have excellent taste. (Excuse me, I'm having to enlarge my doors now so I can get my head through.) grin Seriously, I'm in plenty of good company around these parts.

Mixing is my least favorite thing to do. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I feel like I've thrown one at the dart board and hoping it got close enough. My big concern with this one was it being too bright. I'll send you a pm in a bit and we'll talk about it.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 11:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Sundance,

A really enjoyable feel-good country song. Very good vocal ( I`m hearing a bit of Suzy Bogguss - warm and genuine with a nice hiccup in the right places!).
BiaB has such a wealth of backing tracks for country - your choices sound on the money to me.

Robert

Thank you Robert! I was working on another song when I stumbled on the baritone guitar - which made me think OMG, that would be so perfect for the song you're hearing now - which was half written in an old note book. So after searching the pile I found and finished it. I love it when that happens with the RT's.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 11:44 PM
Hi Josie, nice song and you do have a lovely voice. Whoever said Karen Carpenter was right on. Thank you for your work. it's great! Torrey.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Josie,

This is great! I listened to the audio first and then watched the video.

I really liked the arrangement and the way you mixed instruments and background vocals in and out of the mix so that audio helped paint the story. The mix sounded terrific on my system. When I closed my eyes and focused, I could isolate and listen to each individual component of the arrangement. This is what I always try to achieve with my own work. I find it so elusive, though. You've done really well.

To my ears, your vocals are magnificent. The clarity and the up-front sound are perfect. It's easy to hear just how much effort and planning has gone into creating this production.

In case you are interested, thoughts that sprang to my mind as I listened were: 'great beat', 'this sounds so good', 'Josie's performance is excellent', 'I love the clarity of the mix', 'first class work'.

All the best,
Noel

Thank you Noel! I appreciate that so much coming from you - that last song of yours was just gorgeous. I had a good time singing this one and putting it together. I was ready for a feel good song.

And the mixes - they're all like little babies you take out in world hoping they're not really ugly and you're the only one who can't see it. LOL! I'm so happy it sounded good on your end.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/14/16 11:59 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Liked that Going Back To Music City. The Soundcloud collection taken as a whole has a lot of good stuff in it. Closer Walk sounds fine. (ed)

Thank you very much Ed!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 12:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Hi Josie, nice song and you do have a lovely voice. Whoever said Karen Carpenter was right on. Thank you for your work. it's great! Torrey.

Thank you for those kind words Torrey!

KC is one of my favs. So sad she died too young.
Posted By: receder Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 05:05 AM
Gorgeous song and performance Josie.

The main vocal and harmonies sound just right to my ears.
Oh and I love that baritone guitar RT.

Congrats.

Rec
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 08:13 AM
Very much enjoyed this one, Josie! Lyrics are well written, and I enjoyed the vocal. Choice of realtracks is spot on, and the mix sounds good to these ears.

Heading over to check out the video now ....
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 10:55 AM
Oh yeah! We've been missing this positive "Josie vibe" lately...and this one does not disappoint. It's wonderful to see you back with a new one.

As always it's hard to bring anything to the table after Noel checks in smile He pretty much covered it all.

For us It's one of those tunes for which there's no need to parse things out. It sounds like a well arranged, written, and mixed and as we say "happy" vocals!" -- In the fun mode of your "It is what it is" and that is one that really stuck with us.

And a mighty fine addition to our SC playlist!

Kudos

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 10:59 AM
"Tammy and Loretta sing about fellas, Bill whispers and makes us cry
Then Buck is picking and Roy is grinning while we all laugh with HeeHaw"

A very strong write, Josie. My favorite of yours. Especially like "...Banjo and fiddle... taking turns with a little..." - nice!

And nice to hear Roy Acuff mentioned for a change (instead of the standard choices that most people make in nostalgia songs)... well done all around! The HeeHaw sound clip was great!

That baritone guitar sounds terrific, too. The fiddle and steel are nicely placed.

Really enjoyed this (several times!)

floyd
Posted By: Pauline - PG Music Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 01:15 PM
Hi Josie,

Love it! Wonderful use of the RealTracks, especially that guitar lick. I enjoyed watching the video too! Time to visit Nashville!

Pauline
PG Music Team
Posted By: tommyad Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 01:51 PM
Josie, I think I have seen all 231 episodes of Hee Haw. Salute... Really great editing and a superb write and vocal. I have listened several times and I like this a lot. A BIG Bravo!!! Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 04:56 PM
Awesome tune Josie. Very cool vocal and backbeat
Posted By: RnAM Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 08:34 PM
Josie,

Listening to this, we wish that we could visit Nashville some time.
However we'll settle with this song for now, which is definitely a pleasure!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: MarioD Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/15/16 09:11 PM
I'm late to the party and everything that I wanted to say already has been said. All I can add is that I think this is one of your best and its a keeper.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 03:07 AM
Hello, Josie

This is superb. Very great and pleasant vocal and performance.
The choices of instruments are so splendid, especially drums and electric guitar.
I love this song very much though I rarely listen to Country songs usually.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: gibson Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 04:33 AM
Josie,

Good to hear you back!!!!

Quote:

This is country as it should be!!!

excellent!!!!

Alyn
Posted By: PeterF Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 06:24 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm late to the party and everything that I wanted to say already has been said. All I can add is that I think this is one of your best and its a keeper.

Josie
I'll just say what Mario said, others said.
Very nice Indeed

Peter
Posted By: dani48 Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 04:10 PM
Hi, Josie !

Can I say that I just love this song
and everything about it, and your
voice is great, just great !:))

I hope you´ll get a call from
the Nashville moguls afte this !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 04:13 PM
Love this one Josie. I was never part of that Nashville scene, but I can understand the nostalgia.

Enjoyed this.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: receder
Gorgeous song and performance Josie.

The main vocal and harmonies sound just right to my ears.
Oh and I love that baritone guitar RT.

Congrats.

Rec

Thank you Rec!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very much enjoyed this one, Josie! Lyrics are well written, and I enjoyed the vocal. Choice of realtracks is spot on, and the mix sounds good to these ears.

Heading over to check out the video now ....

Appreciate that Dave! Thank you.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 04:31 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Ugh,

I think I have to do a forum interception here and I will state that I am being gentle Colly because I know you are new to the forum and we are glad to have you here. However:

Josie does indeed have a great voice but saying she is the "best" implies others are not as good and we just don't do that around here. This is not our forum etiquette. I am sure it was accidental, but this is just not done. There are many, many splendid female vocalists on this forum who all have their own unique style, and all have beautiful voices.

It is not one's place to say who is "best" and "better"--this is a community of tightly knit people, and, again, that is just not done. Also, some people spend a lot of time on their mixes and present them as they wanted them to sound.

If they ASK for feedback on the mix suggesting they are looking for a re-mixer that is one thing, but if they don't you probably should not offer. I could be off the mark here, but I think global comments about the mixing quality of someone's entire catalog is just not done, unless some asks for that kind of help. Maybe others have different ideas. That is just mine.

Josie, I think the song was mixed great.

Colly, I hope you receive this in the gracious spirit in which it is intended. I am trying to be helpful for the future, not critical, and I am sorry if I come across as a school marm.

I wasn't aware of this particular aspect of the “Forum Etiquette”, that is “just not done”.

Josie wrote:

“Your time and comments are always appreciated.”

I would assume that would include comments on the mix as well. To dress-down a new forum member is “just not done” in my opinion. Bad form.

I hope Colly isn't put off by this, and continues to contribute to the forum.

p.s. Sorry to hijack your thread Josie, but it had to be said.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 04:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Oh yeah! We've been missing this positive "Josie vibe" lately...and this one does not disappoint. It's wonderful to see you back with a new one.

As always it's hard to bring anything to the table after Noel checks in smile He pretty much covered it all.

For us It's one of those tunes for which there's no need to parse things out. It sounds like a well arranged, written, and mixed and as we say "happy" vocals!" -- In the fun mode of your "It is what it is" and that is one that really stuck with us.

And a mighty fine addition to our SC playlist!

Kudos

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud! That means a lot to me.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
"Tammy and Loretta sing about fellas, Bill whispers and makes us cry
Then Buck is picking and Roy is grinning while we all laugh with HeeHaw"

A very strong write, Josie. My favorite of yours. Especially like "...Banjo and fiddle... taking turns with a little..." - nice!

And nice to hear Roy Acuff mentioned for a change (instead of the standard choices that most people make in nostalgia songs)... well done all around! The HeeHaw sound clip was great!

That baritone guitar sounds terrific, too. The fiddle and steel are nicely placed.

Really enjoyed this (several times!)

floyd

Thank you FJ! I really appreciate that.
I should tell you I came up with some real tongue twisters before I finally got the banjo and fiddle line.
The "salute" is eight tracks. Four of my husband doing different voices and four of me doing different voices all going through Nectar FX. My husband was a good sport and finally made his debut on one of my songs. He can't carry a tune in a bucket but he had fun.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Pauline - PG Music
Hi Josie,

Love it! Wonderful use of the RealTracks, especially that guitar lick. I enjoyed watching the video too! Time to visit Nashville!

Pauline
PG Music Team

Thank you Pauline! It's a lot different there now that it used to be but you'll have a great time when you go!
Be sure to visit RCA Studio B on Music Row. It's where Elvis and lots of others recorded. A developer was going to tear it down and build condos but there was a public uproar so it was saved! Yay! And they stopped any more demolition of the historic homes and music treasures on Music Row. Sadly there were 35 demolitions done between 2012-2014 but thank heaven they've stopped before it's too late and everything was gone.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 05:17 PM
Thank you Tom! I appreciate that a lot.

Salute! It used to come on every Saturday evening when we'd be getting ready to go out. It didn't matter if I was home or at a friend's house - HeeHaw was on. grin Fun times.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/16/16 05:40 PM
My sincere to apologies to Colly and Bob and anyone else if that is how it came across. That was not my intention. I thought my concepts made sense at the time, but I guess not.

I will refrain from further forum comments of such nature because obviously they are likely to backfire. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/18/16 12:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune Josie. Very cool vocal and backbeat

Thank you Scott! I appreciate that.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/18/16 12:04 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Josie,

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thank you Rob and Anne-Marie!
Posted By: edshaw Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/18/16 01:28 AM
Getting the impression "Going Back to Music City" is going over quite well with the members.
It popped on today unexpectedly. I thought to myself, is that the Music City song? (Consider shortening the title to "Music City."
No one to tell you ya can't. My point is, the second time, it sounded so good I didn't recognize it. Of course, that is one of music's secrets -- repetition.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/18/16 05:10 PM
Awesome job!! I have not been to Nashville but would like to visit one day. The music tracks sound great (real toe-tapper) and the vocal is very sweet. I like the references to the classics and the nostalgic quality. Really liked everything about it!! Great to see you around again Sundance!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Will B - PG Music Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/18/16 05:31 PM
Yeah, I was just gonna say that you should float this past the Nashville Tourism Board... certainly made me feel like taking a vacation! I love the classic feel, it makes for a perfect storytelling vehicle for your narrative.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/21/16 12:05 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Josie,

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thank you Rob and Anne-Marie!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/21/16 12:07 AM

I appreciate that very much Mario!
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/21/16 05:55 PM

A very pleasant listen!
I like that great country guitar and you sing very well as usual

Sergio
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/22/16 09:51 PM
Excellent Josie. nice lyrics and arrangement. Your vocals are superb here.

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Charlie
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/23/16 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Josie

This is superb. Very great and pleasant vocal and performance.
The choices of instruments are so splendid, especially drums and electric guitar.
I love this song very much though I rarely listen to Country songs usually.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

I really appreciate you saying that. Thank you Shigeki!

Originally Posted By: gibson
Josie,

Good to hear you back!!!!

Quote:

This is country as it should be!!!

excellent!!!! Alyn

Hey Alyn! I appreciate that very much - thank you!

Originally Posted By: PeterF

Josie
I'll just say what Mario said, others said.
Very nice Indeed

Peter

Thank you Peter!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/23/16 10:12 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Josie !

Can I say that I just love this song
and everything about it, and your
voice is great, just great !:))

I hope you´ll get a call from
the Nashville moguls afte this !

Cheers
Dani

Dani I appreciate that very much, thank you! It was fun taking my little trip down memory lane.

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Love this one Josie. I was never part of that Nashville scene, but I can understand the nostalgia.

Enjoyed this.

Regards,

Bob

Thank you Bob! I'm so glad the nostalgia of the time and not just the place came through.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/23/16 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Getting the impression "Going Back to Music City" is going over quite well with the members.
It popped on today unexpectedly. I thought to myself, is that the Music City song? (Consider shortening the title to "Music City."
No one to tell you ya can't. My point is, the second time, it sounded so good I didn't recognize it. Of course, that is one of music's secrets -- repetition.

Thanks Ed! Yep, repetition has a lot to do with it that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Awesome job!! I have not been to Nashville but would like to visit one day. The music tracks sound great (real toe-tapper) and the vocal is very sweet. I like the references to the classics and the nostalgic quality. Really liked everything about it!! Great to see you around again Sundance!! Take care. Greg

I appreciate that very much Greg!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 10/23/16 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Yeah, I was just gonna say that you should float this past the Nashville Tourism Board... certainly made me feel like taking a vacation! I love the classic feel, it makes for a perfect storytelling vehicle for your narrative.

Thank you very much Will! I hadn't thought of that and nothing to lose by trying.

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

A very pleasant listen!
I like that great country guitar and you sing very well as usual

Sergio

Sergio! Thank you very much.

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Excellent Josie. nice lyrics and arrangement. Your vocals are superb here.

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie! I appreciate that.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Going Back To Music City - 11/17/16 07:04 PM
Hey Josie,

Sorry I missed this some weeks back. Love the vibe you've captured here. One of your best vocals as well - really great stuff!

Bob
Posted By: gruverider Re: Going Back To Music City - 11/18/16 09:10 PM
Just a joy to listen to! Love that baritone guitar. Wonderful write!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Going Back To Music City - 11/19/16 08:21 AM
Late to the party but I am glad I didnt miss this one. Good one Josie. Your vocal sounds very cute, dare I say with a a very cute little lisp.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Going Back To Music City - 11/19/16 08:14 PM
hi Josie this really good great vocal great production thanks eric
Posted By: mglinert Re: Going Back To Music City - 11/21/16 05:44 PM
very polished indeed Josie. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Going Back To Music City - 11/22/16 10:44 PM
Thank you very much Bob, Lawrence, Joanne, Eric and Marc!

I appreciate each of you taking the time to listen and your kind words mean a lot to me.
© PG Music Forums