PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane 1972 - 10/28/16 03:18 PM
Most of us (on this forum) grew up in a totally different world.
This song looks back to that time.
To what the world was when we were coming of age...
We watched a TV with only 3 channels. Only recently in color.
Our telephone was attached to the kitchen wall or sat on a living room table. It had a cord.
Think 1969...'70...'71...'72...
Remember?

My memories are of small-town America.
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania...
...where, on Saturday night, we hung out at "the dance" at the downtown YMCA.
In the basement. The club was called "The Fire".
(luckily, there never was a fire, because, as far as I know, the only way out was the crowded, cramp stairway).
Blacklight posters (and blacklights) everywhere. Local bands that played "last year's songs"...
The Stones, some Beatles, "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'", "All Right Now", "Come And Get It", "Lola"...
A LOT of Creedence. 'Cause EVERYONE could play Creedence...

And here's an aside...
One of the guys in one of those bands, playing at The Fire, was our own Pat Marr.
(I did not know that until joining this forum and a chance conversation with Pat).

The world was changing. That change would soon become rapid and dramatic.
We only cared about one thing.
We were teenagers.

stickman's brother would buy us a six
he stood as one of our gods
we'd walk downtown on love's crusade
dressed to kill 'cause that changed the odds
basement bands played last year's songs
we'd dance in the blacklight glow
strut our drunk on a couple of beers
so the older girls would know

growing up in a different world, 1972
   i still remember...how 'bout you?

riots raged, prophets preached
bombs were being thrown
but all of that's just tv news
we had worries of our own
no one can get a car tonight
wait 'til jill hears this
i was stumbling over shattered dreams
dying for one sweet kiss

tall tales told like truth
for the sake of what could have been
catholic girls lit candles
to tried to shake the sin
but sunday morning could never pay
for what saturday night allowed
the girls hung their heads in the knowledge
the boys walked tall and proud

i still remember... .

My CCR-like band...

RealTracks in style: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1607:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16thsGritty Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 698:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 632:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: PraiseWorshipShine^01-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120 is the real star of the band here.
The "leads" all come from it.
I used a "chunk" of it to provide the simple repeating signature - in that simple CCR style - so ANY garage band could play it...

Remember?
Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: 1972 - 10/28/16 03:36 PM
YES, I remember!! What a great way to bring back those memories! So much life in this song-small town young men yearning with the backdrop of political and social strife. I LOVE THIS!! I love the idea of the chorus-those of us at "that age" can bring back their old memories, golden or tarnished. That is probably the firs year I ever got a little drunk, although I was under age-don't tell. This is a gem. Love the simple, energetic guitar riff, and lyrics which carve out the picture flawlessly. Another great one Floyd. Thanks for the memories!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: 1972 - 10/28/16 03:45 PM
I remember very well, in 1972 I was in grade 12.

Not small town America, small town Canada, Saint John, New Brunswick to be exact. Very similar I'm sure! We only had one TV channel at the time. I was in a band, got lots of gigs because there was lots of places to play back then, before the days of disco. And yes, CCR was definitely one of the bands we covered.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

You had me hooked right from the opening chords! Great write, and as always I love your vocals. I'm on my second listen.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: 1972 - 10/28/16 04:11 PM
Class of 72. Had a choice of going to my graduation or a Zepplin concert..... the graduation won, at the "insistence" of our moms. We wanted a place to sleep on June 10th.

Good song. I liked it.

And yeah, you're right... CCR was easy to cover.
Posted By: ROG Re: 1972 - 10/28/16 07:28 PM
Hi Floyd.

And yes, it was exactly the same over on this side of the Atlantic. The same songs - hey, a lot of the stuff you mentioned is from the UK - and we all had the flares and big hair.

In '72 I was saving for a deposit on my first house by doing the day job 9 to 5, playing five nights a week in a covers band and fitting in a few studio sessions at the weekend. At the end of the year I was all but burnt out, but I had the house!

This great song of yours brought back all sorts of memories, most of them good, but some which make me slightly sad when I look at what some of the changes have created.

Still, this is what good songs do and this is an excellent song. Almost goes without saying that everything is as professional as usual.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: RnAM Re: 1972 - 10/28/16 08:30 PM
Well, at that time I was eight years old ;-)
Here in Holland things were completely different then, compared to today.
I know, that most people of my age (an older) will say that. But I think it's a little bit more than just nostalgia. I think the world has changed drastically since then (and not in a good way as far as I'm concerned).

Needless to say, that this is a very good song and very well up to your usual high standards!

Rob
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 12:13 AM
Sensational write Floyd.

You captured a great nostalgic time, and presented it masterfully.

Excellent, this really delivers what is says.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 01:43 AM
A lot going on in '72. Just out of high school and living on the 'farm'....

Recorded my music on a Sears Roebuck stereo reel to reel and transferred it all to 8 track.

Great, nostalgic song. The baritone lead guitar was exceptional on this one.

Charlie
Posted By: gibson Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 01:51 AM
floyd,
Wow this forum is memory lane for me right now! Coupled with Fgritner's post T-Boned . And my last post Cool! !

I was a dental student in a sort of Prog-Rock band playing round bars in London at the weekends with an amazing pianist who is now a senior Oncology Consultant! But we were never in the right place at the right time!! I NEVER have played CCR, ever!!

Oh your song grin What can I say when every song you produce is so flipping good.
Great use of RT's

An excellent way to start my day.

Excellent

Alyn
Posted By: Scott C Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 09:29 AM
What a cool song Floyd. Boy did this bring up memories. I grew up in Central Canada. Manitoba to be exact. Everything you described brought back memories. We had a huge weekend music scene going.
Awesome tune. Thanks for sharing that one. Definitely one much my favorite tunes on the forum.
Posted By: Will B - PG Music Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 02:03 PM
Another awesome song bringing out more awesome stories! The production on this one is impeccable, Floyd, and the background story really does take it to another level. That's a crazy coincidence about Pat... the magic of music smile
Posted By: receder Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 02:35 PM
What a sensational song Floyd; musically, lyrically heck everything. You keep exceeding the high standard that you already set!

Love all of those fantastic guitars from start to finish and your drum sound always impresses.
Of course the vocal sets it all off just perfectly. If this got played on a big radio station I think you would have a hit on your hands.

Fascinating reading yours and all of the other back stories and what a coincidence about Pat. It brings back a few memories for me too. I was 12 in 1972 and learning 'cello at school but that was until my good friend Rob Gerard started giving me guitar lessons. What was the first song I learnt? Bad Moon Rising (CCR). Then my mate Brian lent me the Free Live album and that was me sold on guitar.

So thanks Floyd for the song, the nostalgia and the memories!

All the best,
Rec
Posted By: David Snyder Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 02:45 PM

Man, I don't know what to say but this is incredible, very Bruce. At the same level of quality. Really a classic. You should be very proud of this one Floyd. Superb.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 03:39 PM
Floyd,

"we'd walk downtown on love's crusade
dressed to kill 'cause that changed the odds"

Really good lyrics throughout this - nostalgia with cool details in the observation.
Its an excellent song all round- not just the Boss, but Jackson Browne in his rockier tunes comes to mind.
Great sound and the harmonies are so well done.

Robert
Posted By: fgrittner Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 05:36 PM
Floyd,

Another fine song. The arrangement is a killer. The Brent Mason Baritone "chunk" is brilliant for a hook. l love how you use held chords and notes on the organ and guitars. That is something I have to learn how to do more effectively. You are quite the musician and teacher.

Fred
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 05:51 PM

Great song Floyd. I was 10 in 1972 and now, after many years have passed, sometimes I miss those years.
Naturally, also in Italy we had black and white TV and very little cars.

But we were young...

Sergio
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 06:47 PM
I'm not a musician, I just pretend to be one on BIAB, but what I really appreciated on this song was the way the music trended up/down tense/relaxed as I followed the lyrics.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 08:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
YES, I remember!! What a great way to bring back those memories! So much life in this song-small town young men yearning with the backdrop of political and social strife. I LOVE THIS!! I love the idea of the chorus-those of us at "that age" can bring back their old memories, golden or tarnished. That is probably the firs year I ever got a little drunk, although I was under age-don't tell. This is a gem. Love the simple, energetic guitar riff, and lyrics which carve out the picture flawlessly. Another great one Floyd. Thanks for the memories!! Take care. Greg

Greg - I always appreciate your appreciation. You always seem to get it and express it well... it has been cool, so far, to see the memories that this has evoked in others... and, there was a reason that we needed Stickman's brother to buy us that "six" smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: 1972 - 10/29/16 09:28 PM
Flashback! I remember 1972 very well. Bought my first place in late '71, my first born was 6 months old and I was broke! So I was working at my regular job, teaching guitar 5 nights a week and Saturdays and playing 1 or 2 gigs on the weekends.

However this song brought back some very fond memories and I not only thank you for that but also to compliment you on a fantastic song.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: 1972 - 10/30/16 12:43 AM
Yes Floyd, I remember. This is a great song! I loved the intro and the guitar work all the way through. Vocals also but above all great writing. Take care, Torrey.
Posted By: PeterF Re: 1972 - 10/30/16 02:06 AM
Floyd
Sydney 1972 we had 4 black & white television channels,(Australia did not get colour until 1975)no remote controls, not much Creedence but lot's of loud bands doing covers at local halls.

Just a great song! Superb vocal top arrangement(and great backing vocals).
Excellent and really catchy.

Peter
Posted By: tommyad Re: 1972 - 10/30/16 12:33 PM
floyd, I like the baritone guitar, the heavy kick, the organ in the bridge, the slightly louder than usual harmony, the fabulous production, mix and vocal, but mostly I like the write. Quite a large number memories shared in the comments. We all seem to share the experience of past bands. In 1972 I was given the opportunity by Uncle Sam after taking my draft physical to be shipped off to Nam, go to Canada or jail, or work in a hospital stateside. And so I began my two year journey in the Healthcare industry. It was my year of innocence lost. Thanks for posting this thought provoking song. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 10/30/16 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I remember very well, in 1972 I was in grade 12.

Not small town America, small town Canada, Saint John, New Brunswick to be exact. Very similar I'm sure! We only had one TV channel at the time. I was in a band, got lots of gigs because there was lots of places to play back then, before the days of disco. And yes, CCR was definitely one of the bands we covered.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

You had me hooked right from the opening chords! Great write, and as always I love your vocals. I'm on my second listen.

Thanks, Dave. Glad it brought back some memories...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Class of 72. Had a choice of going to my graduation or a Zepplin concert..... the graduation won, at the "insistence" of our moms. We wanted a place to sleep on June 10th.

Good song. I liked it.

And yeah, you're right... CCR was easy to cover.

Thanks for having a listen, Herb...
Posted By: Matcham Re: 1972 - 10/30/16 06:15 PM
Really classy arrangement Floyd. The guitar pickin' on the left channel is top notch. I always feel I learn a lot from listening to you.

Matcham
Posted By: animarorecords Re: 1972 - 10/31/16 02:29 AM
Hello, floyd

The lead guitar of Intro. is exceptional on this one.
The sound is definitely CCR.
The phrase of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" entered properly in this tune.
Like Receder said, you keep exceeding the high standard that you already set.
Strong vocal.
The mixing of bass drum is so good.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: PaddyG Re: 1972 - 10/31/16 07:03 AM

Aaah Floyd 1972

SUN, good waves, crazy beach parties, Beers plus big chop “Braaies, That’s Barbeques down your way,, motor bikes and late night shows. Reading some of the other comments there is one thing that bind it all together, YOUTH' music and the absence or let’s say a undeveloped frontal lobe in our brains
How well you have captured it to song in your inimitable style, that was a sweet sweet journey in time

Paddy G
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 10/31/16 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

And yes, it was exactly the same over on this side of the Atlantic. The same songs - hey, a lot of the stuff you mentioned is from the UK - and we all had the flares and big hair.

In '72 I was saving for a deposit on my first house by doing the day job 9 to 5, playing five nights a week in a covers band and fitting in a few studio sessions at the weekend. At the end of the year I was all but burnt out, but I had the house!

This great song of yours brought back all sorts of memories, most of them good, but some which make me slightly sad when I look at what some of the changes have created.

Still, this is what good songs do and this is an excellent song. Almost goes without saying that everything is as professional as usual.

Cheers, ROG.

ROG - good to see you around! It has been great hearing all the stories that this one has pulled out... Do you still live in the same house?

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Well, at that time I was eight years old ;-)
Here in Holland things were completely different then, compared to today.
I know, that most people of my age (an older) will say that. But I think it's a little bit more than just nostalgia. I think the world has changed drastically since then (and not in a good way as far as I'm concerned).

Needless to say, that this is a very good song and very well up to your usual high standards!

Rob

Things have changed...everywhere... it's nice to have a place like this forum to gather and reminisce ... Thanks for the nice comments..
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/01/16 09:43 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Sensational write Floyd.

You captured a great nostalgic time, and presented it masterfully.

Excellent, this really delivers what is says.

Trev - always appreciate you stopping by...

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
A lot going on in '72. Just out of high school and living on the 'farm'....

Recorded my music on a Sears Roebuck stereo reel to reel and transferred it all to 8 track.

Great, nostalgic song. The baritone lead guitar was exceptional on this one.

Charlie

Wow...that was a lot of recording equipment for those days, Charlie... I did not have any at all - for years!...just dreamed of one day getting into a studio, somehow, without having to pay all that money...
Posted By: 90 dB Re: 1972 - 11/01/16 09:51 AM
fj,

Love the time machine. It's good to look back where we came from. Also love the CCR band!

1972? It's a little vague. I know I was in LA, but....... grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: 1972 - 11/01/16 01:27 PM
Let me chime in with my praise for this song! Really well put together, love the "i still remember...how 'bout you?" delivery!

This is the "Hot Forum Topic" for today!

smile
Callie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/02/16 11:13 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd,
Wow this forum is memory lane for me right now! Coupled with Fgritner's post T-Boned . And my last post Cool! !

I was a dental student in a sort of Prog-Rock band playing round bars in London at the weekends with an amazing pianist who is now a senior Oncology Consultant! But we were never in the right place at the right time!! I NEVER have played CCR, ever!!

Oh your song grin What can I say when every song you produce is so flipping good.
Great use of RT's

An excellent way to start my day.

Excellent

Alyn

Thanks, Alyn. CCR never? Really? Thanks for the listen. You are on a tear these days!

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
What a cool song Floyd. Boy did this bring up memories. I grew up in Central Canada. Manitoba to be exact. Everything you described brought back memories. We had a huge weekend music scene going.
Awesome tune. Thanks for sharing that one. Definitely one much my favorite tunes on the forum.

Thanks, Scott. It has been cool to hear everyone talk about where-they-were-what-they-were-doing in '72... (I was in Montreal '73-'75...)

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 1972 - 11/02/16 02:25 PM
Hmmmmm.....well in 1972 Bud had finished grad school was was four years into his career but his younger wife was right outa this period and she helps him relate smile Actually it fits pretty well for Bud's American Graffiti era.

As with many of your songs we try to pick out a few fav lines to quote and then say to heck with it. Just consider the entire lyric quoted. The wonderful vocals deliver imagery that is as vivid as a HD movie.

The production grabs you from the intro and you hang on for the entire ride unless you are bereft of good music sensibilities.

Well done mr jane!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/03/16 09:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Another awesome song bringing out more awesome stories! The production on this one is impeccable, Floyd, and the background story really does take it to another level. That's a crazy coincidence about Pat... the magic of music smile

Will - thanks, I appreciate you stopping in for a listen... yeah, it is a small world...

Originally Posted By: receder
What a sensational song Floyd; musically, lyrically heck everything. You keep exceeding the high standard that you already set!

Love all of those fantastic guitars from start to finish and your drum sound always impresses.
Of course the vocal sets it all off just perfectly. If this got played on a big radio station I think you would have a hit on your hands.

Fascinating reading yours and all of the other back stories and what a coincidence about Pat. It brings back a few memories for me too. I was 12 in 1972 and learning 'cello at school but that was until my good friend Rob Gerard started giving me guitar lessons. What was the first song I learnt? Bad Moon Rising (CCR). Then my mate Brian lent me the Free Live album and that was me sold on guitar.

So thanks Floyd for the song, the nostalgia and the memories!

All the best,
Rec

Rec - Appreciate all the nice comments... It has been fun to hear everyone's '72 stories... Bad Moon Rising - a good place to start! - and...it is so hard to sing to a cello.... smile glad someone handed you a guitar!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: 1972 - 11/03/16 05:35 PM
I have not commented on a song in a LONG while. I've been a bit busy but even more-so, staying low here.

But this one I HAD to comment on!

There is so much I want to say, but also want to keep it brief.

First, this song, as others have mentioned, fits that time perfectly. Now, truth be told, I was 1 at in 1972. However, living in a very small town in the Midwest, things tended to get here a bit later. I also feel trends stuck around a bit longer.

This is a mash up of so many things I like in song-writing and delivery. Just really well done!

Last three things...

That is unreal about the Pat Marr part of it. How cool of a coincidence is that though? Just awesome!

This song leaves me with a slightly sad feeling of things from the past. I like it, because it really does show how powerful your song writing is. It's not about me, yet it is!

Now this has to do with the song, and all of your songs. You have a unique ability my friend. Even though I have never heard this song, I have an "idea" of what it will sound like before hearing it. NOT the specifics...that's what the song is.

You have a VERY strong identity in both your writing and presentation. I know your voice, and your sound overall. Of course, you still manage to make each one unique enough to keep each song interesting! Amazing FJ!

You know how if you see a quote from someone like James Earl Jones, or Morgan Freeman, you can read it in "their voice?" It's like that. I'm not sure you are aware of it though. I would bet others here would say the same about you and your songs.

That is SO flippin' rare. It's what the greats have. That is YOU!

Thanks for the share, and bringing me back!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/04/16 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Man, I don't know what to say but this is incredible, very Bruce. At the same level of quality. Really a classic. You should be very proud of this one Floyd. Superb.

You KNOW I appreciate that!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

"we'd walk downtown on love's crusade
dressed to kill 'cause that changed the odds"

Really good lyrics throughout this - nostalgia with cool details in the observation.
Its an excellent song all round- not just the Boss, but Jackson Browne in his rockier tunes comes to mind.
Great sound and the harmonies are so well done.

Robert

Thanks, Robert... two of my favorites, so it's always nice to have a bit of their "flavors" noted...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/05/16 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: fgrittner
Floyd,

Another fine song. The arrangement is a killer. The Brent Mason Baritone "chunk" is brilliant for a hook. l love how you use held chords and notes on the organ and guitars. That is something I have to learn how to do more effectively. You are quite the musician and teacher.

Fred

I appreciate all that, Fred. You know plenty already, I'd say... smile

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great song Floyd. I was 10 in 1972 and now, after many years have passed, sometimes I miss those years.
Naturally, also in Italy we had black and white TV and very little cars.

But we were young...

Sergio

Thanks, Sergio... Cool to hear how things were on your side of the world, too...

Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
I'm not a musician, I just pretend to be one on BIAB, but what I really appreciated on this song was the way the music trended up/down tense/relaxed as I followed the lyrics.

Thanks for stopping by for a listen, Marty...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 1972 - 11/06/16 02:19 PM
floyd,

As the end of the year nears, I find myself getting busier and busier so in the interests of getting a comment posted, I'd better be brief this time.

This is excellent (again!). Your writing, your performance and your production all gleam. Using a hint of "The House Of The Rising Sun" as the opening was very effective. It got my attention. Then came the song. It was loaded with memories. You've very skilfully captured the essence of this moment in history.

An excellent journey back in time!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 1972 - 11/06/16 08:54 PM
wow, Floyd... you reallly connected with your audience! It would have been easy to get too specific with details that don't resonate with a global audience, but I was pleased to see that forum members from all over the world recognized the colors you raised with this song!

Thanks for including me in your intro... it really is wild to imagine that we might have been at one or more of the same gigs, having no idea that we would know one another in forty years! Yeah... three stations... you probably got the same ones I got : WFBG in Altoona, WJAC in Johnstown, And maybe one or more from State College or Williamsport.

and yeah, things have really changed... like others here,
i bought my first house around that time... for 7 thousand dollars! fully furnished!

I normally like to analyze songs, but in this case I don't want to break the spell it cast... its fun to let the magic of your song writing take me backto time when my wife was still my girlfriend and life was a time of growing up together.

Thanks for the memory.
i really needed that today.
Posted By: dani48 Re: 1972 - 11/06/16 09:09 PM
Hi, Floyd !

True, we did grow up in
totally different worlds but,
the music that we all loved
to play was very much the same
as over in your world, The Shadows
and The Ventures (everyone played
their tunes or rightly, tried to...)
The Beach Boys, The 4 Seasons
and naturally all the superb folk
singers or -groups like PP&M, Simon
and Garfunkel etc. etc. Later it turned
to Four Freshmen, Bacharach and groups
like The Johnny Mann Singers, Hi-Lo:s
and Singers Unlimited etc etc.

....so, maybe our worlds really weren´t
so different after all ??

I love this tune of yours and think
it must be one of your absolute best !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/07/16 09:12 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Flashback! I remember 1972 very well. Bought my first place in late '71, my first born was 6 months old and I was broke! So I was working at my regular job, teaching guitar 5 nights a week and Saturdays and playing 1 or 2 gigs on the weekends.

However this song brought back some very fond memories and I not only thank you for that but also to compliment you on a fantastic song.

Thanks, Mario... it has been cool to witness everyone's past...

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Yes Floyd, I remember. This is a great song! I loved the intro and the guitar work all the way through. Vocals also but above all great writing. Take care, Torrey.

Thanks, Torrey... I really appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd
Sydney 1972 we had 4 black & white television channels,(Australia did not get colour until 1975)no remote controls, not much Creedence but lot's of loud bands doing covers at local halls.

Just a great song! Superb vocal top arrangement(and great backing vocals).
Excellent and really catchy.

Peter

Thanks, Peter... sounds like things were much the same on the other side of the world. smile
Posted By: PeterF Re: 1972 - 11/08/16 05:19 AM
Floyd,
I remember seeing Jackson Browne in 1977 who said Australia at that time felt like America 10 years earlier.

Peter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/09/16 09:06 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, I like the baritone guitar, the heavy kick, the organ in the bridge, the slightly louder than usual harmony, the fabulous production, mix and vocal, but mostly I like the write. Quite a large number memories shared in the comments. We all seem to share the experience of past bands. In 1972 I was given the opportunity by Uncle Sam after taking my draft physical to be shipped off to Nam, go to Canada or jail, or work in a hospital stateside. And so I began my two year journey in the Healthcare industry. It was my year of innocence lost. Thanks for posting this thought provoking song. Tom

Tom - thanks for such a nice review... It has been fun to look back at a different time, a different world. I actually did go to Canada the following year... So we learn another facet of the Tom Adams story!!! Got any songs about that time/decision???

Originally Posted By: Matcham
Really classy arrangement Floyd. The guitar pickin' on the left channel is top notch. I always feel I learn a lot from listening to you.

Matcham

Thanks, Matcham...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/10/16 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

The lead guitar of Intro. is exceptional on this one.
The sound is definitely CCR.
The phrase of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" entered properly in this tune.
Like Receder said, you keep exceeding the high standard that you already set.
Strong vocal.
The mixing of bass drum is so good.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - thank you for such a nice comment. I appreciate your support...

Originally Posted By: PaddyG

Aaah Floyd 1972

SUN, good waves, crazy beach parties, Beers plus big chop “Braaies, That’s Barbeques down your way,, motor bikes and late night shows. Reading some of the other comments there is one thing that bind it all together, YOUTH' music and the absence or let’s say a undeveloped frontal lobe in our brains
How well you have captured it to song in your inimitable style, that was a sweet sweet journey in time

Paddy G

Paddy - LOL - I enjoyed your descriptions here... glad you enjoyed the song...

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
fj,

Love the time machine. It's good to look back where we came from. Also love the CCR band!

1972? It's a little vague. I know I was in LA, but....... grin

Regards,

Bob

HA! I'd love to hear some of THOSE stories...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/12/16 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
Let me chime in with my praise for this song! Really well put together, love the "i still remember...how 'bout you?" delivery!

This is the "Hot Forum Topic" for today!

smile
Callie

Callie - I really appreciate you stopping by... And it is always nice to see one on the splash page! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Hmmmmm.....well in 1972 Bud had finished grad school was was four years into his career but his younger wife was right outa this period and she helps him relate smile Actually it fits pretty well for Bud's American Graffiti era.

As with many of your songs we try to pick out a few fav lines to quote and then say to heck with it. Just consider the entire lyric quoted. The wonderful vocals deliver imagery that is as vivid as a HD movie.

The production grabs you from the intro and you hang on for the entire ride unless you are bereft of good music sensibilities.

Well done mr jane!

J&B

Thanks, guys! ... for Everything!!
Posted By: Skyline Re: 1972 - 11/12/16 12:13 PM
Thanks for the trip back Floyd! Evocative, and a nice meaty arrangement, just the way I like it! Another top notch song for sure.

John
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/14/16 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I have not commented on a song in a LONG while. I've been a bit busy but even more-so, staying low here.

But this one I HAD to comment on!

There is so much I want to say, but also want to keep it brief.

First, this song, as others have mentioned, fits that time perfectly. Now, truth be told, I was 1 at in 1972. However, living in a very small town in the Midwest, things tended to get here a bit later. I also feel trends stuck around a bit longer.

This is a mash up of so many things I like in song-writing and delivery. Just really well done!

Last three things...

That is unreal about the Pat Marr part of it. How cool of a coincidence is that though? Just awesome!

This song leaves me with a slightly sad feeling of things from the past. I like it, because it really does show how powerful your song writing is. It's not about me, yet it is!

Now this has to do with the song, and all of your songs. You have a unique ability my friend. Even though I have never heard this song, I have an "idea" of what it will sound like before hearing it. NOT the specifics...that's what the song is.

You have a VERY strong identity in both your writing and presentation. I know your voice, and your sound overall. Of course, you still manage to make each one unique enough to keep each song interesting! Amazing FJ!

You know how if you see a quote from someone like James Earl Jones, or Morgan Freeman, you can read it in "their voice?" It's like that. I'm not sure you are aware of it though. I would bet others here would say the same about you and your songs.

That is SO flippin' rare. It's what the greats have. That is YOU!

Thanks for the share, and bringing me back!

Caaron - goodness...what a very nice write up... I truly appreciate all that you have written here. It is humbling. It has been a real pleasure to have a song garner the reaction that this has - to trigger so many memories for people for all walks of life, from all corners of the world...this forum is so cool... (thank you).

Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

As the end of the year nears, I find myself getting busier and busier so in the interests of getting a comment posted, I'd better be brief this time.

This is excellent (again!). Your writing, your performance and your production all gleam. Using a hint of "The House Of The Rising Sun" as the opening was very effective. It got my attention. Then came the song. It was loaded with memories. You've very skilfully captured the essence of this moment in history.

An excellent journey back in time!

Regards,
Noel

Noel - thanks, as always, for your support. Interesting that you picked up on the Rising Sun opening... I did not aim at that, specifically, but once it was in place, I thought the same thing!! I appreciate the nice review...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/15/16 05:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
wow, Floyd... you reallly connected with your audience! It would have been easy to get too specific with details that don't resonate with a global audience, but I was pleased to see that forum members from all over the world recognized the colors you raised with this song!

Thanks for including me in your intro... it really is wild to imagine that we might have been at one or more of the same gigs, having no idea that we would know one another in forty years! Yeah... three stations... you probably got the same ones I got : WFBG in Altoona, WJAC in Johnstown, And maybe one or more from State College or Williamsport.

and yeah, things have really changed... like others here,
i bought my first house around that time... for 7 thousand dollars! fully furnished!

I normally like to analyze songs, but in this case I don't want to break the spell it cast... its fun to let the magic of your song writing take me backto time when my wife was still my girlfriend and life was a time of growing up together.

Thanks for the memory.
i really needed that today.

Pat - I am really pleased that you dropped by for this! Yes, it has been great to see how so many around the world get some memories from the images from our neck of the woods... my wife was there, too, in the glow of those blacklights... (she said to say "hi"...)

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

True, we did grow up in
totally different worlds but,
the music that we all loved
to play was very much the same
as over in your world, The Shadows
and The Ventures (everyone played
their tunes or rightly, tried to...)
The Beach Boys, The 4 Seasons
and naturally all the superb folk
singers or -groups like PP&M, Simon
and Garfunkel etc. etc. Later it turned
to Four Freshmen, Bacharach and groups
like The Johnny Mann Singers, Hi-Lo:s
and Singers Unlimited etc etc.

....so, maybe our worlds really weren´t
so different after all ??

I love this tune of yours and think
it must be one of your absolute best !

Cheers
Dani

Thank you, Dani... ah..such memories, eh...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 1972 - 11/16/16 10:57 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd,
I remember seeing Jackson Browne in 1977 who said Australia at that time felt like America 10 years earlier.

Peter

I wonder if that is still the case. I would enjoy going back 10 years! Unfortunately we seem to be going back about 50.

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Thanks for the trip back Floyd! Evocative, and a nice meaty arrangement, just the way I like it! Another top notch song for sure.

John

Thanks, John. Glad you stopped by... heal well and do some more of that fine music you have been doing...
Posted By: gruverider Re: 1972 - 11/16/16 06:56 PM
Great write. And another spot on arrangement and production. Your vocals suit this nostalgia perfectly.
Posted By: rsdean Re: 1972 - 11/17/16 06:39 PM
Floyd,

1972 was one of my favorite years... smile Love the way this song brings back those memories. Great vocal and very cool use of the baritone guitar.

Bob
Posted By: mglinert Re: 1972 - 11/21/16 06:00 PM
Everything contributes usefully here - the chugging guitar, the drums. It all sounds as if it serving the composition rather than the other way round.
That's a real art, and it does not happen by accident.
© PG Music Forums