PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/29/17 11:55 AM
Out Of Your World - Video

Out Of Your World - Audio

Hi folks, Other than the recent remix this is our first 2017 post and for it we have returned to our country roots for the first time in a couple of years of experimenting with blues, Americana and rock. Our goal was to write a traditional country song that uses a non-traditional song structure.

We hope it works for you and we appreciate your time to listen and perhaps comment.

Janice and Bud

For the production inclined folks this is how it went:

Vocal: Rodes NT1 - Focusrite Scarlett USB - Logic Pro X - Nectar 2
Drums: N’ville Shuffle - Alloy 2 - 140 EMT Reverb Sim
Bass: RT 534 Pop 12-8 - Alloy 2
Piano Rhythm: Midi SuperTrack 2253 Country Swing - Logic Grand Steinway - 140 EMT Reverb Sim - Ozone Stereo Imager
Electric Guitar: RT 968 Rhythm Country Swing - EMT 140 Reverb Sim
Electric Guitar: RT 1703 Soloist Country 12:8 - EMT 140 Reverb Sim
(comped from multiple regenerations)
Pedal Steel: RT 627 Background Country 12:8 - EMT 140 Reverb Sim
Pedal Steel: RT 2000 Soloist Country 12:8 - EMT 140 Reverb Sim
Mixing: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Ozone 7 Advanced

Video: Multiple photo editors and iMovie

Photo: Janice by Bud

Posted By: Scott C Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/29/17 12:33 PM
Well this is definitely my favorite of yours. Vocal was superb. Guitars were excellent. The lyrics had me right from the start
Posted By: gibson Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/29/17 12:34 PM
Janice and Bud

Beautiful, great mix and of course vocals by Janice
Lovely picture of her by the way Bud, fits the song so well.

enjoyed a lot

Alyn
Posted By: ROG Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/29/17 01:25 PM
Hi J&B.

Wonderful!

Loved the backing and especially the solos. The mix was flawless.

I'm running out of things to say about Janice's voice, but it still brings me out in goosebumps.

Great video to complete what has to be a 100 percent professional production.

Cheers, ROG.
Loved the mix and the production. That part of this is stellar and so freaking clean.

The song... hummmm... seems unfinished to me. It repeats the same verse and the verses and chorus(?) end musically with an unfinished feel. The chords leave it hanging. Without going back to point where or to the specifics, let me just say at this point..... It just feels to me like it's not finished...

You probably don't agree and that's fine.
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Loved the mix and the production. That part of this is stellar and so freaking clean.

The song... hummmm... seems unfinished to me. It repeats the same verse and the verses and chorus(?) end musically with an unfinished feel. The chords leave it hanging. Without going back to point where or to the specifics, let me just say at this point..... It just feels to me like it's not finished...

You probably don't agree and that's fine.

Herb, I alluded to the song structure being different knowing that it wouldn't work for everybody so I have no issue at all with your observations. FWIW the structure is similar to a song I recently heard:

https://youtu.be/fSE31VmJf9Q

Intro > chorus > short verse 1 >solo > chorus > short verse 2 > solo > abbreviated chorus > outro

So it starts with the chorus and has two distinct short verses that follow each chorus (more like refrains to the chorus) and then ends with the first and last lines of the chorus. Weird? I guess so. Nothing ventured and all that stuff smile Thanks for commenting on the mix and production...I worked harder than usual on that. The guitar solo alone is comped from three tracks. The first two notes of the steel intro and the last half of the last bar are all comped. So if that seemed seamless I'm a happy ole guy.

Bud
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/29/17 03:36 PM
J&B,

Janice`s vocal on this is so good... thinking of ways to describe
the quality - tender with a touch of ache. I could listen to her all day.
The production is one of your best to these ears.
Oh, and the song-yes, maybe first listen I was expecting more of a payoff musically in the chorus, but after getting the pattern, it not being there didn`t seem to matter.

Robert
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi J&B.

Wonderful!

I'm running out of things to say about Janice's voice, but it still brings me out in goosebumps.

Cheers, ROG.

Gotta agree!! You guys have never put forth a more pro production, and JANICE KILLED IT!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rsdean Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/29/17 08:46 PM
Janice & Bud,

Agree with the others... this may be my new favorite from you. Such a great song and vocal. Also, the mix and instrument selection is really superb...

Country is back! smile

Bob
Wow Janice and Bud, you get such a clean sound in your songs. That swing feel totally works in this one. I kept waiting to hear a broom sweep sound in there somewhere but
was great as is. Vocals great as usual and liked the guitar sound. Thanks, Torrey.
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Well this is definitely my favorite of yours. Vocal was superb. Guitars were excellent. The lyrics had me right from the start

Scott, glad the guitar worked for you - especially given that you are a fine player. Thanks for mentioning the vocal and the lyric.

J&B
This is Grand Ole Opry cool!

Old school!

smile
Another fantastic write.

Your style is always easy on the ear, your delivery is always provided with perfection.

Everything about this song is "way up there".

Excellent.
Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice and Bud

Beautiful, great mix and of course vocals by Janice
Lovely picture of her by the way Bud, fits the song so well.

enjoyed a lot

Alyn

Thanks for all of that Alyn. We always appreciate your comments.

J&B
Pretty much an out of this world classic country song.

Excellent write, arrangement, mix and production.

Janice's vocals and lead instrument comps were all impressive.

I thought the video was really cool.

Enjoyed my listen, old country sounded pretty good to my old ears.

Charlie
Posted By: RichMac Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/30/17 03:49 AM
Wow! Very well written and performed.
Bluesy Janice and it just cruises along.
Had a couple of listens.
Very easy to listen to. Cheers.
I think Janice's voice is so lovely, but full of pathos, so believable, like I take every word of hers as gospel truth and coming from the heart.6
Posted By: PeterF Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/30/17 05:04 AM
Janice & Bud
Truly lovely song. After a few listens I quite like the song format - you've carried it off perfectly.
Bud the mix is great and I enjoyed the video (have to hire you one day!).
Janice - the vocal is lovely & full of character.
Most enjoyable.

Peter
Hi J&B.

Wonderful!

Cheers, ROG.

Thanks for everything ROG. Made our day!!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J&B,

Janice`s vocal on this is so good... thinking of ways to describe
the quality - tender with a touch of ache. I could listen to her all day.
The production is one of your best to these ears.
Oh, and the song-yes, maybe first listen I was expecting more of a payoff musically in the chorus, but after getting the pattern, it not being there didn`t seem to matter.

Robert

Thanks Robert. I'm biased of course smile but I've always thought Janice did the "country tears in my beer" songs well. We used to do quite a few in our bluegrass band but have recorded only a couple over the last few years. They are a lot harder for me to write than blues. Glad you liked the production also. Thanks again!

Bud
Hello, Janice & Bud

What an authodox country song.
I think this must be your favorite of yours.
Vocal is superb. Guitars are excellent.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice & Bud,

Agree with the others... this may be my new favorite from you. Such a great song and vocal. Also, the mix and instrument selection is really superb...

Country is back! smile

Bob

Thanks Bob! Dunno if it's back yet but we had fun jumping back into it. We appreciate you listening and commenting.

J&B
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/31/17 12:48 PM
Love this one guys. Would write more, but presently physically unable to. mad

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 01/31/17 01:20 PM
The mix is fantastic, very good video, strong write with a good storyline.
Vocals are excellent.
So good!

Kenny
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Wow Janice and Bud, you get such a clean sound in your songs. That swing feel totally works in this one. I kept waiting to hear a broom sweep sound in there somewhere but
was great as is. Vocals great as usual and liked the guitar sound. Thanks, Torrey.

Thanks for the listen and the nice review. Glad you like the groove. 'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" smile
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
This is Grand Ole Opry cool!

Old school!

smile

Thanks David. That was precisely our objective. Great that it worked for you!

J&B
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Another fantastic write.

Your style is always easy on the ear, your delivery is always provided with perfection.

Everything about this song is "way up there".

Excellent.

Wow. Thanks for those very kind remarks!!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Pretty much an out of this world classic country song.

Excellent write, arrangement, mix and production.

Janice's vocals and lead instrument comps were all impressive.

I thought the video was really cool.

Enjoyed my listen, old country sounded pretty good to my old ears.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie. Knowing that you enjoy this style of country make your comments especially appreciated.

J&B
J&B,

Hard to find anything to say that hasn't already been said.

A write, structurally, that harkens back to some classic Country. And an interesting lyric that keeps your attention.

The mix is stunningly crisp and clear - as always. Don't know how it could get better.

And, of course, the usual off-the-charts vocal. Such a pleasure to listen to.

Cool video.

fj

I totally agree! Janice has the singing voice so many of us want... smile

This is today's Hot Forum Topic!
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Wow! Very well written and performed.
Bluesy Janice and it just cruises along.
Had a couple of listens.
Very easy to listen to. Cheers.

Thanks for the listens and the time to to comment. We most appreciate it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
I think Janice's voice is so lovely, but full of pathos, so believable, like I take every word of hers as gospel truth and coming from the heart.6

That is very kind if you. I'm biased but, yes, she always sings from the heart. Your comment means a lot to her!

Bud
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 02/04/17 06:36 PM
Janice and Bud,

I like this one a lot. Vocals and arrangement and production all intertwine perfectly for a wonderful listening treat. There is nothing I would change. Everything about this worked for me.

Since I first listened to this some time back, I've been pondering the use of repetition in lyrics. Repetition is such a powerful lyric writing device. It's one of the most effective ways I know to amplify lyric content. After bouncing through Youtube from song to song to song, my quest to discover material that showed just how powerful repetition can be stopped when I stumbled on "Climb Every Mountain".

Here are the full lyrics...
Quote:
Climb every mountain,
Search high and low
Follow every byway
Every path you know

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
'Til you find your dream

A dream that will need
all the love you can give
Every day of your life
For as long as you live

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
'Til you find your dream

A dream that will lead
All the love you can give
Every day of your life
For as long as you live

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
'Til you find your dream

...And here are some links to what I consider outstanding versions of the song in very different styles...

1. A traditional approach with Laura Osnes and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJNaTQgjKM

2. Barbra Streisand and Jamie Foxx with a showstopping presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86urFx1JnCc

3. Judith Durham (something Australian from 1971 and with a hint of Bacharach in the arrangement)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VM5SlHfdoQ

Oscar Hammerstein's lyrics are simple, direct and yet with the assistance of repetition, they create one of the most powerful and inspiring songs I've heard.

What fascinates me with "Climb Every Mountain" is that the "Climb every mountain, Ford every stream" section is sung three times and each time is alternated with the "A dream that will need" section. This means that after the first section ("Search high and low"), the remaining 5/6ths of the song's lyrics are driven entirely by repetition. Moreover, as the above performances clearly show, each repetition brings a boost to the emotional power of the lyrics.

Thank you for inspiring me to take this learning journey! It's been a valuable excursion for me.

I like the way that repetition has been used in "Out Of Your World". To my ears, the repeated opening section helps emphasise the sense of disappointment that the main character is feeling.

It's two thumbs up from me. You've both done an outstanding job.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: RnAM Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 02/04/17 09:55 PM
Hi Janice and Bud,

There's not much left for us to add... except that we really like this song.
Janice's vocals are beautiful... again, and the music surely is soothing.
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice & Bud
Truly lovely song. After a few listens I quite like the song format - you've carried it off perfectly.
Bud the mix is great and I enjoyed the video (have to hire you one day!).
Janice - the vocal is lovely & full of character.
Most enjoyable.

Peter

Thanks Peter. This was one of those productions that was frustration free and stayed fun.
Glad you liked the video - I'll send you my pricing smile Actually they are relatively easy to do but
for me the time comes in finding photos that reflect the lyric yet don't hijack the imagery
that a listener might have. I spend much more time looking for and editing the photos than putting the
vid itself together.

J&B

Great country ballad. a super listening.
Sergio
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice & Bud

What an authodox country song.
I think this must be your favorite of yours.
Vocal is superb. Guitars are excellent.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you very much!!!

Janice
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Love this one guys. Would write more, but presently physically unable to. mad

Regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob - hope you are doing better!!

J&B
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
The mix is fantastic, very good video, strong write with a good storyline.
Vocals are excellent.
So good!

Kenny

Thanks Kenny...that is very generous and we are most appreciative!

J&B
Janice and Bud, this is a stunning production. As usual, I am coming late to the party, so pretty much everything has already been said. Mix is spot on. I particularly like the steel in this one. And I don't think Janice's voice has ever sounded better!

Top shelf!

Steve
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
J&B,

Hard to find anything to say that hasn't already been said.

A write, structurally, that harkens back to some classic Country. And an interesting lyric that keeps your attention.

The mix is stunningly crisp and clear - as always. Don't know how it could get better.

And, of course, the usual off-the-charts vocal. Such a pleasure to listen to.

Cool video.

fj

Given your writing, production and singing cred your review made our year!
Thank you!!
J&B
Posted By: bluage Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 02/10/17 04:12 AM
Dear "Janice & Bud"...

Listening to pedal steel performances has always made me feel that it is the musical equivalent of the sound of someone weeping, and I mean from the gut. You two are messin' with my heartstrings on this one! Now, stop that! crazy

Would you excuse me for a moment while I dial the number to the suicide prevention hotline? blush

I didn't pay much attention to country/country western music until I stumbled upon Patsy Cline, who's voice froze me in time, wrecked me, and then lifted me up, and I...ain't...kiddin'. And then, Ray Charles happened with his album, "Modern Sounds in Country & Western." Ever since then I've become more and appreciative of those genres, because as far as the delivery of true, honest and heartfelt emotion, they can't be beat. I'd rather flow "tears in my beer" than "give it a hear", and then forget about what I heard.

"Out of Your World" is truly out of this world.

By the way, in the lyrics, there are the words "jack and coffee." May I ask what "jack" is?

Sincerely,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")
Posted By: dani48 Re: Out Of Your World (back to the country) - 02/10/17 08:51 PM
Hi, Bud & Janice !:))

How lovely isn´t this
beautiful tune so
wonderfully sung by
Janice !!!

Enjoyed it truly much !

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music

I totally agree! Janice has the singing voice so many of us want... smile

This is today's Hot Forum Topic!

Hi Callie, thanks so much and you brought out one of the huge Janice smiles!!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Janice and Bud,

I like this one a lot. Vocals and arrangement and production all intertwine perfectly for a wonderful listening treat. There is nothing I would change. Everything about this worked for me.

Since I first listened to this some time back, I've been pondering the use of repetition in lyrics. Repetition is such a powerful lyric writing device. It's one of the most effective ways I know to amplify lyric content. After bouncing through Youtube from song to song to song, my quest to discover material that showed just how powerful repetition can be stopped when I stumbled on "Climb Every Mountain".

Here are the full lyrics...
Quote:
Climb every mountain,
Search high and low
Follow every byway
Every path you know

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
'Til you find your dream

A dream that will need
all the love you can give
Every day of your life
For as long as you live

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
'Til you find your dream

A dream that will lead
All the love you can give
Every day of your life
For as long as you live

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
'Til you find your dream

...And here are some links to what I consider outstanding versions of the song in very different styles...

1. A traditional approach with Laura Osnes and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJNaTQgjKM

2. Barbra Streisand and Jamie Foxx with a showstopping presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86urFx1JnCc

3. Judith Durham (something Australian from 1971 and with a hint of Bacharach in the arrangement)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VM5SlHfdoQ

Oscar Hammerstein's lyrics are simple, direct and yet with the assistance of repetition, they create one of the most powerful and inspiring songs I've heard.

What fascinates me with "Climb Every Mountain" is that the "Climb every mountain, Ford every stream" section is sung three times and each time is alternated with the "A dream that will need" section. This means that after the first section ("Search high and low"), the remaining 5/6ths of the song's lyrics are driven entirely by repetition. Moreover, as the above performances clearly show, each repetition brings a boost to the emotional power of the lyrics.

Thank you for inspiring me to take this learning journey! It's been a valuable excursion for me.

I like the way that repetition has been used in "Out Of Your World". To my ears, the repeated opening section helps emphasise the sense of disappointment that the main character is feeling.

It's two thumbs up from me. You've both done an outstanding job.

All the best,
Noel

You never fail to amaze and humble us with depth of your music knowledge. Reading your thoughtful analysis and listening to the examples was very enjoyable for us. We streamed your response to the big screen so we could both enjoy perusing it. Thanks for your kind remarks regarding the tune and for the learning experience!

J&B
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Janice and Bud,

There's not much left for us to add... except that we really like this song.
Janice's vocals are beautiful... again, and the music surely is soothing.

Thanks you two! We appreciate your comments.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great country ballad. a super listening.
Sergio

Thanks Sergio!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Janice and Bud, this is a stunning production. As usual, I am coming late to the party, so pretty much everything has already been said. Mix is spot on. I particularly like the steel in this one. And I don't think Janice's voice has ever sounded better!

Top shelf!

Steve

Thanks Steve! I'm glad you liked the steel particularly given the amount of comping smile

J&B
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear "Janice & Bud"...

Listening to pedal steel performances has always made me feel that it is the musical equivalent of the sound of someone weeping, and I mean from the gut. You two are messin' with my heartstrings on this one! Now, stop that! crazy

Would you excuse me for a moment while I dial the number to the suicide prevention hotline? blush

I didn't pay much attention to country/country western music until I stumbled upon Patsy Cline, who's voice froze me in time, wrecked me, and then lifted me up, and I...ain't...kiddin'. And then, Ray Charles happened with his album, "Modern Sounds in Country & Western." Ever since then I've become more and appreciative of those genres, because as far as the delivery of true, honest and heartfelt emotion, they can't be beat. I'd rather flow "tears in my beer" than "give it a hear", and then forget about what I heard.

"Out of Your World" is truly out of this world.

By the way, in the lyrics, there are the words "jack and coffee." May I ask what "jack" is?

Sincerely,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Thanks Loren for the very nice review. Hope you didn't call that number smile

Jack refers to Jack Daniels. Never tried it with coffee but assume it could be a potent way to start a morning!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Bud & Janice !:))
How lovely isn´t this
beautiful tune so
wonderfully sung by
Janice !!!

Enjoyed it truly much !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani!

J&B