PG Music Home
Posted By: Buttrey "Legs Painted On" - 03/02/17 01:32 AM
Here is my latest effort: a southern-rock-style number with lyrics by a singer who's more impressed with his life than maybe he should be.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-buttrey/legspaintedon

_RKMDBM1.STY style
Real Drums: NashvilleEven8^8-HiHatO,Ride
bridge fill drums from MP Power Drum Kit 2
Real Tracks: Bass, 388
bridge bass: mine
Guitar 1, 1169
Guitar 2, 496
Guitar 3, 502
Vocals and organ: me

Reaverb reverb
Posted By: ROG Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/02/17 06:20 AM
Hi Sam.

I see that you've not posted a great deal in the last seven years, which maybe explains why this is the first of your songs which I've heard.

I LOVE this.

First of all, inspired lyrics.

Secondly, a very open and effective arrangement.

Thirdly, a great choice of tracks, plus some super playing from yourself.

Lastly, a terrific vocal.

Can we have some more of this please?

ROG.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/02/17 06:23 PM

Hello,
nice one, well sung.

Excellent real tracks chosen.

Sergio
Posted By: Robertkc Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/02/17 09:22 PM
Really Good!
As ROG says the lyrics are excellent, as is the blend of RT`s and your own playing ( love those organ breaks).
To my ears your very good vocal sounded a tad too much to the fore.

Robert
Posted By: Buttrey Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/02/17 11:18 PM
Thanks for listening. I know I need work on compression and mixing, and I agree that the vocal gets in the way of the band. Thanks again for listening and for the helpful note.
Posted By: Buttrey Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/02/17 11:20 PM
Thanks for listening!
Posted By: Buttrey Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/02/17 11:21 PM
Thanks for listening. I've been trying to create humorous songs. We'll see how that works out...
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/03/17 09:42 AM
When this started it has a very similar sound and groove to the song HOT LEGS by Rod Stewart.

Is this a song about someone who was born with non-functional legs? That's what I understood it to be about.

I loved that drum break and the organ fills. Very creative use of instruments.

Regarding the mix, a few points: your vocal is way to loud for the instruments. Turn it down and let it set back into the musical stage a bit more. When you look at the wave in soundcloud, you can see where the vocals are and you shouldn't be able to see a vocal in the raw wave form.

Be careful of the reverb you select as well. The reverb makes this sound like it's in a tiny bright room.

Cool song but the mix needs some adjustments
Posted By: Scott C Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/03/17 12:51 PM
Very cool lyric. Loved the guitar intro. Well done
Posted By: Buttrey Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/03/17 01:43 PM
Thank you for listening, and for your feedback. I know my ear isn't close to where I need it to be to make good judgments about mixing -- yet.

To clarify, both "born in that chair" and "legs painted on" are gibes at laziness. Consider the following hypothetical conversation:

Me: "Hey, could you get up and hand my that thing?"
My brother: "What, were you born in that chair? You can get up yourself -- or are your legs painted on?"

Yeah, it's childhood pain that inspires my music... smile

Thanks again.
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/03/17 02:05 PM
Wow, just... WOW! The vocal track is really clear and sounds great - I love the organ in there too!

Overall, I really enjoyed listening to this song - thank you for sharing it!

This is today's Hot Forum Topic!

smile

(I hope everyone else enjoys listening to this one as much as I did!)
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/03/17 03:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Buttrey
Thank you for listening, and for your feedback. I know my ear isn't close to where I need it to be to make good judgments about mixing -- yet.

To clarify, both "born in that chair" and "legs painted on" are gibes at laziness. Consider the following hypothetical conversation:

OK roger that. I'd never heard that expression used regarding being lazy.... kinda makes sense.

Regarding mixing.... you get better the more you do it, listen to the constructive comments, and then put those things into practice. Keep on trucking.
Posted By: Skyline Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/03/17 05:41 PM
A good foot tapping rocker with an intriguing lyric! The mix could do with the vocal taken down so that it sounds 'in the same space' as the backing. For some reason I was reminded of U2/BB King's 'When Love Came to Town'!

John
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/07/17 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Really Good!
As ROG says the lyrics are excellent, as is the blend of RT`s and your own playing ( love those organ breaks).
To my ears your very good vocal sounded a tad too much to the fore.

Robert

I agree on all counts. Great stuff but the vocal is a little too out front I think. Really clever and cool song!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/07/17 11:39 PM
Very cool Buttrey! Loved the organ section at 1:20. Well done!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: "Legs Painted On" - 03/08/17 03:35 AM
Howdy,

The is the first time we've listened to your music. Nothing like a good Southern Rock tune to get the blood flowing Cool song. The only suggestion we have is maybe the vocal is just a little too forward in the mix. Other than that ... super cut! best to ya,

Alan & Di
© PG Music Forums