PG Music Home
Posted By: Icelander "Sailor's dream" - 03/15/17 02:37 PM
A Sailor's Dream - My latest (but hardly greatest) for your enjoyment, yayh! laugh
Envisioned as a homage to the "Sailor songs" era of the early Icelandic pop, hence the choice of name. These tunes were "all the rave", as I believe the expression goes, in the mid 50's and well into the early 70's up here. Accordion takes the obvious center stage, since that instrument is so closely associated with sailors in our culture (although much more so in waltzes, the term "sailor's waltz" being very known to our vocabulary).
Full of clichés and deliberate feeling of familiarity (at least to natives), to further support the tribute.

Formalities:
Core style is _RUMBABP, with the two acoustic Calypso guitars added and changed the drum set to brushes. Soloist is a hybrid of two midi Flute 'Classical' soloists (output via BBox own flute vst), with some manual input by me in the mix. And lastly, accordion and vibes complete the soundscape, both curtesy of yours truly cool
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/15/17 04:19 PM
Icelander, interesting choice of style to go with the accordion for an Icelandic Pop tune.

There's certainly no limit to the flexibility that one can find, eh?
Posted By: Icelander Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/15/17 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Icelander, interesting choice of style to go with the accordion for an Icelandic Pop tune.
I had a hunch that it would be a good idea to include some elaboration on that choice. Looks like I was right wink
But it's really just like I say in the above outline, for this song it's very much a reference to a tradition....plus I, being icelandic and all, happen to rather like (and somewhat know my way around) the accordion cool
Posted By: Al-David Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/15/17 07:33 PM
Hello Ice!

That's a pretty cool song! You captured the mood we had in mind after reading your narrative. You have a good knowledge of the BIAB tools and this song is a fine example of that. Very nice ... we totally enjoyed it! The flute was nice, too! Nicely done!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Icelander Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/15/17 07:36 PM
That's very generous, A&D, thank you.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/17/17 07:13 PM
"Full of clichés and deliberate feeling of familiarity (at least to natives), to further support the tribute."

Thousands of miles from being a native but the two of us had no problem enjoying the song and the backstory of how you put it together. The seemingly disparate choices of instruments, flute, accordion, calypso guitars, etc., all work together amazingly well.

We enjoyed the listen!

J&B
Posted By: Yorkshireknight Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/18/17 06:54 AM
A very compelling listen Icelander. I love the squeeze box it conjures up so many images. The claypso feel works well too. Well done. Paul
Posted By: Icelander Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/18/17 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The seemingly disparate choices of instruments, flute, accordion, calypso guitars, etc., all work together amazingly well.
The trick is to not get too caught up or hampered by their names alone wink

Thanks for the positive feedback, as always...including the one at SC.
Posted By: Icelander Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/18/17 11:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Yorkshireknight
A very compelling listen Icelander. I love the squeeze box it conjures up so many images. The calypso feel works well too. Well done. Paul
You know, that's the second time I've seen the accordion referred to as a "squeeze box" in less than 24 hours, how quaint. Odder still is that until just today I didn't even know what that term meant and had to look it up! laugh
Anyway, many thanks for your compliments.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/18/17 02:35 PM
Icelander

Very good! Your clever use of the different styles add up to something that sounds authentic in the tradition.
I enjoyed the folky, singalong feel and love that accordion ( have to check out your user tracks for more).

Robert
Posted By: Scott C Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/20/17 11:21 AM
Very nice listen Eddie.
Posted By: Icelander Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/20/17 01:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very nice listen Eddie.
That's always a plus grin
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/21/17 05:30 PM
Nice tune Eddie!! Very catchy. You find yourself humming it after a minute or so. Good to see you around here again! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/21/17 06:53 PM
Eddie, very enjoyable tune! It all sounds really good. I liked the use of different instrumentation coming in and out. Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: Icelander Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/21/17 08:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice tune Eddie!! Very catchy. You find yourself humming it after a minute or so. Good to see you around here again! Take care. Greg
Yeah, it does turn into a bit of an annoying ear worm, I know. I actually wrote this thing a few years back but it came back to me just recently for some reason, and then it stuck in my head and refused to bloody leave! crazy
So I had to do what I usually do with ear worms, play it 'out of my system' as it were, and that's how this BBox treatment came about.
Hope it didn't outstay its welcome in your head too long wink

p.s. Glad to see you finally spell my name right, btw wink
Posted By: Icelander Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/21/17 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Eddie, very enjoyable tune! It all sounds really good.
Thanks for that. I don't think I've had the pleasure of your feedbacks before, so all the more appreciated smile
Posted By: 44kfl Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/21/17 10:08 PM
I love this overall sound that you've put together

The melodies are very nice

the progressions fit the gentle flowing of the song so well

enjoyed

Kenny
Posted By: Icelander Re: "Sailor's dream" - 03/21/17 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
I love this overall sound that you've put together
===
enjoyed

Kenny
Thank you. And that's another positive feedback from someone I've not 'met' around here before, how thrilling smile
© PG Music Forums