PG Music Home
Posted By: Icelander "Something So Lush" - An arrangement demo - 03/28/17 10:18 PM
Something So Lush - Right, you all should recognise this tune at once, for it's from BBox own catalogue of songs (the "=Classy.sty" demo song). I made this initially to support a thread in the "RT wishlist" forum about some cool Bing Crosby kind of set, which I'm attempting to emulate in this demo to further promote the concept. I do use plugins (obviously) for the strings, but everything is compiled and rendered straight from the Box (see what I did there grin ).
It was only after I finished that I thought my fellow song listeners around here just might like the outcome in its own right, so here you go - Enjoy! cool

And now for the 'formalities':

Title: Something So Lush
Style is =CLASSY.STY
Style MIDI Instruments are : Strings (49),
RealTracks in style: ~768:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 110
RealTracks in song: ~2192:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm EZListening Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2593:Horn Section, Background CroonerBigBand9-Part Sw 110
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: JazzBrushesSticks#1
Hello Icelander, Nicely done on this! I really enjoyed the strings that come in for a few bars at 33 seconds. Wonderful progressions too. Great work! smile
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hello Icelander, Nicely done on this! I really enjoyed the strings that come in for a few bars at 33 seconds. Wonderful progressions too. Great work! smile
Well, that was quick! grin
The strings actually come and go throughout, as does the Crooner section, that was really the key to 'sell' the whole thing (and took the longest to do).
The trick is to know where to not have them play! cool

Glad to see the Staff catch this one, it was meant for your ears more than anything.
Thats' a brilliant suggestion! I will keep that in mind. Thank you for sharing this with us! cool
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Thats' a brilliant suggestion! I will keep that in mind. Thank you for sharing this with us! cool
My pleasure...and I'm not just saying that as an empty expression, I genuinely had a lot of fun putting this together smile

EDIT: So much fun in fact that I've just gone back in and improved it! cool
really enjoyable, nicely done!
Originally Posted By: gruverider
really enjoyable, nicely done!
Thank you. Considering your vast SC catalogue, that's rather humbling blush
Nice arrangement and you demonstrate very well the value midi still has to making music.

Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Nice arrangement and you demonstrate very well the value midi still has to making music.
Charlie
Well, that's good! The way I see it, Midi has always had "value" in BBox, and even more so now once the inclusion of Plugins opened up the sounds to their upmost potential 'straight from the Box'.
Case in point, I'm having an absolute blast digging up the "classic" styles from bygone years, which now have gained a whole new life! smile
Posted By: jford Re: "Something So Lush" - An arrangement demo - 03/31/17 11:27 AM
As I indicated in your other thread on this, Eddie, it really is a great example of what can be done with a little imagination and a good MIDI library.
Originally Posted By: jford
As I indicated in your other thread on this, Eddie, it really is a great example of what can be done with a little imagination and a good MIDI library.
For those interested, the one I used this time around is found here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189694
- It's free and really worth it for the strings sets alone (let alone the rest of it).
Nice one Eddy!! Maybe my favorite of yours. Should be a movie soundtrack. Very cool!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice one Eddy!! Maybe my favorite of yours. Should be a movie soundtrack. Very cool!! Take care. Greg
Thanks, Greg....but now you've gone back on your old "Eddy" habit after finally getting it right in your last feedback, what's up with that?! confused
We agree completely with all of the above comments. We'd like to add how well done your mix is. It sounds lush, yet not dense, and open on our monitors. What we call an "airy" mix. Very nice.

J&B
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We'd like to add how well done your mix is. === What we call an "airy" mix. Very nice
Why, thank you for that observation, J&B, but I can't take the sole credit for that. The sound source I used for the strings has in fact a "Panned" variation, which I just had to put to the test.
Sounds like it passed with flying colours, much obliged cool

Edit: Then again, that variation of the sound source was my deliberate choice, and done so specifically in order to get that "airy" effect (or at least avoid the "dense" mix). So maybe I can take the whole credit after all wink
Very nice, indeed! I think you already know that Diu and I have written quite a bit of original music in this genre. We have a small library of this that we created on a different software but are in the process of redoing them with BIAB. We done a few in BIAB - more to come.

The strings are very nice and really add a finished touch to the song. Very polished and well done!

Alan & Di
Thank you for that, and looking forward to more "BBoxed" material from you two! cool
© PG Music Forums