PG Music Home
Posted By: ROG The Girl Needs Me - 04/23/17 07:38 AM
Hi All.

Unlike my friend Eddie, who writes from personal experience, this is simply a product of my fevered imagination!

The backing started out in Realband using all RTs, but once I started looking at the vocals some of the RTs weren't doing exactly what I wanted. I moved into Powertracks to do some overdubs and ended up replacing all the RTs except one. Exactly which one remained will become obvious to anyone who listens all the way through!

For the first time in twenty years, I mixed something outside of Powertracks. I've got a copy of Harrison Mixbus 32C which I've never actually used, so I thought I'd give it a try. The verdict? Better graphics than Powertracks and it's nice to have long-throw faders, but essentially it doesn't do anything which I can't do in Powertracks.

So here it is.

THE GIRL NEEDS ME
She's got a lot of diamond rings, she's got a lot of pretty things
She's made CDs, DVDs, yes the girl can sing
She's got her own atomic clock so she never runs late
She's got an MGB GT V8
Everybody knows everyone can see
There's only one thing that this girl needs
She needs me, the girl needs me.

She's got a condo on the beach, she's got money in the bank
She's got a stripped-down Harley with a tiger in the tank
She's got a chain of gas stations, so she's never out of juice
She's got a '57 Tele that she says belonged to Bruce

Some day she's gonna find out
Just what this life's all about
No matter how hard you try
There's some things that money can't buy.

She's got a cellar full of wine, she's got a vinyard in Bordeau
She's got a chateau in Provence where she never seems to go
She's got lots of friends on Facebook, she's got friends she's never seen
And her friends down at the laundry keep her money nice and clean

As usual, grateful to anyone who has time to listen.
Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/23/17 07:54 AM
ROG,

Great driving beat from the very first note.

"She's got a '57 Tele that she says belonged to Bruce"

I really liked the lyrics, creative and could even be true!

Great delivery. I mean really great.

The fiddle solo was an unexpected surprise.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/23/17 09:15 AM
Super backtrack on this one. Excellent vocal and harmonies and lyric. Very cool fiddle track. Well done
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/23/17 11:34 AM
ROG,

Super cool song. A good rock write.

The opening grabs ya right off. Like a Cars song. Goes right to your musical heart...

The guitars are really well done. Nice "flavorings" (licks and fills). The figure at "needs me" is especially nice.

The fiddle is really, really well done. It fits. (I would have preferred hearing you play lead smile - a loud one smile )

Excellent mix.

Enjoyed. Really catchy...

fj
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/23/17 02:46 PM
ROG,

Excellent song! Great mix and vocals - really enjoyed this!

Bob
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/24/17 08:58 AM
Well the one that stays in is clearly the heavy guitar. Is that one of the metal real tracks?
By the sound of this you clearly must be a Jeff Lynne fan. We are big ELO fans!
The fiddle came as a surprise, but works so well.
What else can we say, aside from the fact that we have just raised this post up a little ;-). A very cool song!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/24/17 09:31 AM
Prof, Smokin, driving rock track. I love those highly compressed drums again. Perfect vocals. The harmonies sound great. I was waiting for your guitar break, but the fiddle works surprisingly well. The mix is superb with a lot of low end push. Guitars sound really good. I loved everything about this. The lyrics are very well crafted and made me smile several times. A great one. Bravo!!! Tom
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/24/17 07:02 PM
Rog

Good work on this one - interesting unexpected use of fiddle.
Nicely played guitars and well performed.

Peter
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/24/17 10:12 PM
Hi ROG, Thank you for sharing this with us! I really enjoyed the progression and the violin section in the middle. Great work! smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/24/17 10:17 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Prof, Smokin, driving rock track. I love those highly compressed drums again. Perfect vocals. The harmonies sound great. I was waiting for your guitar break, but the fiddle works surprisingly well. The mix is superb with a lot of low end push. Guitars sound really good. I loved everything about this. The lyrics are very well crafted and made me smile several times. A great one. Bravo!!! Tom

I couldn't say it any better!

All I can add is WOW this is outstanding. It caught my ear from beat one and kept until the end! The fiddle was a nice touch but I think your guitar might have been better-YMMV

This is a keeper.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/25/17 01:02 AM
A joy to listen to

love the guitars

fiddle kicks!

enjoyed

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/25/17 02:06 PM
Glad to hear you took up fiddle smile

The fiddle is a surprise but works amazingly well with the groove. And speaking of groove, man, instrumentally and vocally, this thing just grabs you from the first bar and chug alongs you right on through to the end. Could've been twice as long!

And what a cool write...there are a ton of clever and fun lines...enough to just read through the lyric a few times to appreciate it all.

Janice is with her mother today...but I'm sending her a link NOW cause she's gonna love this tune!

Kudos on a super production that showcases all the great components of this tune....vocals, lyric, rhythm tracks and, yeah, the fiddle.

We look forward to more plays!

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/26/17 01:23 AM
Hey ROG,

Smokin' hot and that heavy guitar rhythm is is an instant grabber. What's not to like? Absolutely nothing. Di and I are are still trying to keep our feet still. You nailed it!

Alan & Di
Posted By: gruverider Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/26/17 06:48 PM
I'm a big fan of that style of lyrics. I wouldn't know what to call them but you nailed it!

Great song and production.

much enjoyed!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/26/17 08:45 PM
ROG,

This is outstanding! This is my new favorite of yours. From start to finish, just excellent stuff. Like has been stated, the fiddle works surprisingly well.

I like everything about this one!

Steve
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/27/17 12:42 PM
Sounds like something the Cars might have done back in the day. Which is good! I loved that band. Loved the line about the '57 tele smile

Fiddle was fun! Wasn't expecting that. And tasty fills throughout. Good song, well performed and produced, enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/30/17 06:07 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
ROG,

Great driving beat from the very first note.

"She's got a '57 Tele that she says belonged to Bruce"

I really liked the lyrics, creative and could even be true!

Great delivery. I mean really great.

The fiddle solo was an unexpected surprise.

Many thanks for the listen and kind words.
That line was a teaser to see how many people knew which Bruce, but you obviously picked it up straight away! Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/30/17 06:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Super backtrack on this one. Excellent vocal and harmonies and lyric. Very cool fiddle track. Well done

Thanks, Scott. Please you liked it, including the fiddle which was a bit experimental!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/30/17 06:16 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

The opening grabs ya right off. Like a Cars song. Goes right to your musical heart...

The guitars are really well done. Nice "flavorings" (licks and fills). The figure at "needs me" is especially nice.

The fiddle is really, really well done. It fits. (I would have preferred hearing you play lead smile - a loud one smile )

Excellent mix.

fj

Hi Floyd.
Many thanks for the review - always value your comments.
Originally it was going to have a guitar solo, but it was hard to get a rock style to work well with that backing. Then I was listening to a Corrs album and thought, yeah a fiddle! If you're not familiar with the Corrs, you might find their stuff interesting. Maybe a loud guitar solo next time.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/30/17 06:18 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
ROG,

Excellent song! Great mix and vocals - really enjoyed this!

Bob

Bob, many thanks for looking in and the positive review. Much appreciated.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Girl Needs Me - 04/30/17 10:34 AM
Very peppy tune man! Lots of energy!
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/01/17 05:46 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Well the one that stays in is clearly the heavy guitar. Is that one of the metal real tracks?
By the sound of this you clearly must be a Jeff Lynne fan. We are big ELO fans!
The fiddle came as a surprise, but works so well.
What else can we say, aside from the fact that we have just raised this post up a little ;-). A very cool song!

Rob & Anne-Marie

Hi Rob & Anne-Marie.
Many thanks for the listen - always like to read your comments.
Sorry, but if you were right about the guitar RT, that would mean I was playing the fiddle! The fiddle was the only thing which remained from the original Realband demo and it was a bit of an experiment. Fortunately, most people seem to have liked it.
Yes, I am a big fan of Jeff Lynne and ELO - obviously the influence is showing in this one.
Thanks again for the review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/02/17 02:38 PM
ROG,

Excellent mix.

I also heard Cars immediately. Great stuff!! The fiddle is interesting but not the way I would have gone. Production is stellar-IN YOUR FACE!! This is really a gem!!! Take care. Greg

fj
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/02/17 06:53 PM

Hi Tom. Many thanks for the listen and review.
The backing does sound as though it would take a guitar break and be fun to do, but I really struggled to get anything I liked. Sometimes that's just the way it is. I should probably have sent the track over to you! Anyway, the fiddle was a bit of fun and as you know, I don't like to take things too seriously.
So, thanks again for the kind words. Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/02/17 06:56 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Rog

Good work on this one - interesting unexpected use of fiddle.
Nicely played guitars and well performed.

Peter

Thanks, Peter.
Yes, the fiddle was a surprise to me too. I generated the RT without really expecting it to work, but then couldn't find anything I liked better!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/02/17 06:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi ROG, Thank you for sharing this with us! I really enjoyed the progression and the violin section in the middle. Great work! smile

Hi Joe.
Many thanks for listening and the positive review. Pleased you liked the fiddle. These RTs are just SO good.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/02/17 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I couldn't say it any better!

All I can add is WOW this is outstanding. It caught my ear from beat one and kept until the end! The fiddle was a nice touch but I think your guitar might have been better-YMMV

This is a keeper.

Hi Mario.
Always pleased to get a review from you and many thanks for all the nice comments.
As I said to Tommy, I couldn't get into the guitar solo on this one - maybe next time.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/02/17 07:05 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
A joy to listen to

love the guitars

fiddle kicks!

enjoyed

Kenny

Hi Kenny. Thanks for looking in on this one and pleased that you liked it. That fiddle RT is the business, isn't it. What did we do before RTs?
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/02/17 07:29 PM
ROG,

Brevity is the soul of wit, so I'll be brief. This is fun! Clever, as well. Enjoyed it very much.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/03/17 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Glad to hear you took up fiddle smile

The fiddle is a surprise but works amazingly well with the groove. And speaking of groove, man, instrumentally and vocally, this thing just grabs you from the first bar and chug alongs you right on through to the end. Could've been twice as long!

And what a cool write...there are a ton of clever and fun lines...enough to just read through the lyric a few times to appreciate it all.

Janice is with her mother today...but I'm sending her a link NOW cause she's gonna love this tune!

Kudos on a super production that showcases all the great components of this tune....vocals, lyric, rhythm tracks and, yeah, the fiddle.

We look forward to more plays!

J&B

Hi there J&B.
Hey, thanks for all the positive feedback. I had a few problems putting this one together, not least with deciding on the fiddle solo instead of a guitar, so I'm really pleased that you liked it and thought it worked out OK.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/03/17 07:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey ROG,

Smokin' hot and that heavy guitar rhythm is is an instant grabber. What's not to like? Absolutely nothing. Di and I are are still trying to keep our feet still. You nailed it!

Alan & Di

Hi Alan & Di.
So pleased to see you back on the forum Alan and hope your recovery is going well. Great to get a review from you both as well and pleased that you liked it. Keep those feet tapping.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/03/17 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
I'm a big fan of that style of lyrics. I wouldn't know what to call them but you nailed it!

Great song and production.

much enjoyed!

Many thanks for the listen and review. I wouldn't know what to call them either, but as long as it worked for you, that's good.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/03/17 07:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
ROG,

This is outstanding! This is my new favorite of yours. From start to finish, just excellent stuff. Like has been stated, the fiddle works surprisingly well.

I like everything about this one!

Steve

Steve, many thanks for all the kind words. I'm always full of self-doubt, so feedback like this is very welcome. Glad it's your new favourite.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/03/17 07:24 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds like something the Cars might have done back in the day. Which is good! I loved that band. Loved the line about the '57 tele smile

Fiddle was fun! Wasn't expecting that. And tasty fills throughout. Good song, well performed and produced, enjoyed the listen!

Hi Dave.
Hey, thanks for the review and the Cars comparison - yes, love that stuff. I'm a Tele man at heart, as you can see in my avatar and that's the guitar which I used to lay down the tracks in this song.
Fiddle was always a bit experimental!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/04/17 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Very peppy tune man! Lots of energy!

Many thanks, David. Much appreciated.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/04/17 06:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
ROG,

Excellent mix.

I also heard Cars immediately. Great stuff!! The fiddle is interesting but not the way I would have gone. Production is stellar-IN YOUR FACE!! This is really a gem!!! Take care. Greg

fj

Hi Greg.
Thanks for the good review. Cars comparison is certainly welcome. Yes, I know what you mean about the fiddle - it's a fabulous RT, but I'm not sure I'll be using it too often!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/04/17 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
ROG,

Brevity is the soul of wit, so I'll be brief. This is fun! Clever, as well. Enjoyed it very much.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob.
Always pleased to get a review from you, no matter how brief. Just glad you enjoyed it.
Regards, ROG.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/07/17 04:17 PM
ROG,

This is fantastic.... and then some. I'd love to be able to write and produce songs like this. As I'm sitting here typing, a million complementary superlatives are running through my mind but nothing seems to adequately summarise how entertaining I found the track. The enjoyability factor is through the roof! Whichever speaker I turned to, exceptional music greeted me. There's no doubt about it, you're an expert music-smith.

Like those before me, the fiddle first surprised me and then mesmerised me. That was a stroke of genius. Who'd have thought that fiddle playing in the style of an Irish or Scottish reel could fit so very comfortably into a rock song.

You've outdone yourself here!

Ok... I'm heading back for another listen now!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: ROG Re: The Girl Needs Me - 05/07/17 07:17 PM
Hi Noel.

You really are too kind - you'll make me blush! Hey, I'm just glad you liked it.

I think the fiddle was not so much a stroke of genius as desperation. I really tried to put a guitar solo in there and wasn't happy with any of the results. Even I didn't expect the fiddle to work - it was just a lucky break.

Anyway, many, many thanks for the listen(s) and all the nice comments.

Cheers, ROG.
© PG Music Forums