PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Daddy - 04/29/17 11:55 AM
I wrote this back in 2001. My former wife and I were talking about our long deceased fathers (mine in 1968 and hers in 1987). I teared up a bit when I told her I couldn't remember my father's voice. She said the same was true for her and asked me if I would write a song about her father. This is what I came up with.

Since it's written in the female voice, you might ask why I didn't ask Di to sing it. Simple - she and my former wife don't like each other - like really, really intensely dislike each other. It wouldn't be fair of me to ask her to sing it because of that.

I've not felt well lately and my voice is a little off pitch (more than usual) on a couple of the high notes in the chorus, as well as scratchy over all. But I liked the cut anyway and kept it. So, here it is, warts and all.

Here are the backing tracks I used:

****** Song Summary *************
C_Balad.sty demo - -
File:Al - Daddy BG Trax 1.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 76, Length (m:s)=3:03
4 bar intro, 50 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 54. Repeat x1 chorus
Melody has 809 notes, Melody harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Soloist track - me!
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Style is -C_BALAD.STY (Country Ballad )
Style MIDI Instruments are : Strings (49),
RealTracks in song: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1595:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop8thsSteady Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealDrums in style: CountryEven8: a: Brushes, HiHat b: Snare, Ride

I played the acoustic lead on my wife's Yamaha acoustic guitar - all finger picking.

Also, I changed all the tracks from the original BIAB style except for drums.

https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/daddy

Daddy

(c) January 2001, Alan D. David, BMI
All Rights Reserved

(v1)
I wonder if he ever knew
Exactly how I felt
How that certain special smile
Would always make me melt
I know he wasn't perfect
No better than the rest
But to me he was Daddy
In my heart he was the best

His hands were rough and calloused
From working all day long
I didn't always understand
But in my eyes he did no wrong
He wasn't always easy
Didn't always show his charm
But it always gave me comfort
When he held me in his arms

(CHORUS)
I don't go to see him
As often as I should
I'd stop by to visit
More often if I could
But the tears always blur my eyes
As I read his name in stone
Daddy won't you wait for me
Someday we'll all be home

(v3)
It breaks my heart and makes me cry
Cuz I can't recall his voice
Or the nursery rhymes he used to tell
To me and to the boys
How I wish that I could tell him
How I miss him so
But somehow deep inside my heart
I think that he might know

Repeat Chorus
Posted By: Scott C Re: Daddy - 04/29/17 01:02 PM
Beautiful song Alan and Di. Heartfelt lyric. Loved the vocal. Well done. Guitar was excellent as well
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Daddy - 04/29/17 01:34 PM
Very emotive. I dig the vocal, sounds "real" to me. Plus I like the finger style acoustic guitar solo. Good song!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Daddy - 04/29/17 03:15 PM
Very nice work Al,

Your emotive voice in this one, in combination with your cool acoustic guitar picking strongly reminds me of one of Willie Nelson's songs, really ;-)
I think that would be a compliment.

Rob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 04/29/17 04:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful song Alan and Di. Heartfelt lyric. Loved the vocal. Well done. Guitar was excellent as well

Thanks so much, Scott. Those nice words are very encouraging that as a couple of old farts we're still doing reasonably good! (Both 70 years old). Have a great weekend,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 04/29/17 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very emotive. I dig the vocal, sounds "real" to me. Plus I like the finger style acoustic guitar solo. Good song!

Thank you so much for your kind words. we're delighted you enjoyed it - thanks for letting us know. Best to you,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 04/29/17 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Very nice work Al,

Your emotive voice in this one, in combination with your cool acoustic guitar picking strongly reminds me of one of Willie Nelson's songs, really ;-)
I think that would be a compliment.

Rob

Hi Rob & Anne-Marie,

Yes, that's a wonderful compliment. Thank you so much. I've been told I do a half-way decent Willie impression. Maybe I'll go back and do my best Willie on a new version. I like the idea!

The vocal is not quite as good as I'd hoped for but I'm very happy you enjoyed it. And thank you for the nice comment about the lead guitar track. It was my second effort - first one had too many "squeaks" in it. Best to both of you,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Daddy - 04/29/17 06:00 PM
Alan,

This is a wonderful listen. Your arrangement and guitar playing are a superb fit. Then there's your singing.... it truly is the perfect vehicle to express these excellent lyrics. I cannot imagine a better nor more fitting presentation. You've done a great job!

From start to finish, I was with you all the way.

Regards to you and Di,
Noel
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Daddy - 04/30/17 12:28 AM
Loved that solo! nice sound

well written, heartfelt honest delivery

Bien mi amigo

Kenny
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Daddy - 04/30/17 10:36 AM
This is really touching and beautifully produced!! Loved it!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Daddy - 04/30/17 01:07 PM
Nice, Alan. A touching write. Sung with heart - just as it should be.

Well done.

fj
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 04/30/17 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Alan,

This is a wonderful listen. Your arrangement and guitar playing are a superb fit. Then there's your singing.... it truly is the perfect vehicle to express these excellent lyrics. I cannot imagine a better nor more fitting presentation. You've done a great job!

From start to finish, I was with you all the way.

Regards to you and Di,
Noel

Noel,

You are much too kind! We sure do appreciate all that kindness. Thank you so very much. Made our day!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 04/30/17 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Loved that solo! nice sound

well written, heartfelt honest delivery

Bien mi amigo

Kenny

Thank you very much, Kenny. You put a smile on my face with your comment about the short acoustic solo. As you might know, due to the effects of a mild stroke and remaining issues from 8 months of chemo, my guitar playing has suffered dramatically. This is about as good as it gets for now - hopefully back to where it was before all that. Thanks again.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 04/30/17 10:55 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
This is really touching and beautifully produced!! Loved it!

David, Tis always a treat to hear from you. I'm more than happy you were touched by it. That's a real nice compliment - thank you!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 04/30/17 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Nice, Alan. A touching write. Sung with heart - just as it should be.

Well done.

fj

Thank you, Floyd. the singing leaves a lot to be desired but it is, indeed, from the heart. I never met my former wife's father - he died 5 years before she and I met. But she cherished him. I was happy to write the song for her. I shared some of the feelings about my father as well, especially the part about not remembering his voice. That still makes me sad. Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Daddy - 05/01/17 12:04 PM
Alan,

Your vocal sounds just right for the warm nostalgia of the lyrics.
Definitely has shades of Willie Nelson. A very sweet write and your guitar sits perfectly in there.

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 05/01/17 12:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Alan,

Your vocal sounds just right for the warm nostalgia of the lyrics.
Definitely has shades of Willie Nelson. A very sweet write and your guitar sits perfectly in there.

Robert

Thank you very much, Robert. I mentioned earlier I might go back and do it "Willie Nelson Style". Hope you have a great week.

Alan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Daddy - 05/01/17 05:48 PM
Alan, the vocal is just as it should be. Sincere, heartfelt, emotive and believable. Great acoustic lead. A fine tribute write and well arranged and produced. I liked it a lot. Tom
Posted By: rsdean Re: Daddy - 05/01/17 06:12 PM
Al,

Beautiful song and a great vocal.

Bob
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Daddy - 05/01/17 06:38 PM
That, for me, would be so hard to write about. You handled the subject in such an impressive way. Honest with appreciation. Really well done!

I think any "Daddy" would be so proud to have a song like this written about them.

Great job!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Daddy - 05/02/17 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Alan, the vocal is just as it should be. Sincere, heartfelt, emotive and believable. Great acoustic lead. A fine tribute write and well arranged and produced. I liked it a lot. Tom

What he said...my daddy died in 1969 and Janice's in 1973. This is a powerful song. Thanks for sharing it.

Bud
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Daddy - 05/02/17 06:18 PM
Very sweet song Al. I lost my dad just over a year ago. I still remember his voice so clearly, and I frequently hear it coming out of my mouth and say "Wow, I've become him". This is so nicely done. Beautiful!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 05/02/17 10:50 PM

Thank you, Tom. The vocal was sincere, if nothing else. It's a hard song to sing without tearing up. Thank you very much for you very kind words. best to you,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 05/02/17 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Al,

Beautiful song and a great vocal.

Bob

Bonb,

Thank you very much! Wishing you the best.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 05/02/17 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
That, for me, would be so hard to write about. You handled the subject in such an impressive way. Honest with appreciation. Really well done!

I think any "Daddy" would be so proud to have a song like this written about them.

Great job!

Hi!

That is is such a kind review. Thank you very much. I hope I made them proud. Best to you,

ALan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Daddy - 05/02/17 10:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

What he said...my daddy died in 1969 and Janice's in 1973. This is a powerful song. Thanks for sharing it.

Bud

Janice & Bud,

What a wonderful comment. We truly appreciate all that. My father and I did not have a close relationship most of the time. But we put all that aside when it came to music and baseball. Your words touched me personally. Thank you.

Alan
© PG Music Forums