PG Music Home
Posted By: guitar1 Distant Drums - 04/30/17 09:16 PM
I recorded this song before back in 2001, but I had done all the instruments myself, So I wanted to see how it would sound using BIAB and RB. The song has a kind of strange beginning. I know all of us at one time or another have had lines from a song kind of hang in our mind, sometimes for days. This was one of those times. It was driving me nuts, and I could not remember when or where I had heard it. The line was just these words. "I hear the sound of distant drums." I could not place where it came from or what brought it to mind. I finally called a friend from a radio station where I had had A radio show for a time. I sang the line to him and he knew of the song. I asked him to play it on his show so I could hear the entire thing. He did, but to be honest, I really didn't like the song all that much, although I was a fan of Jim Reeves, and still am. Most of the time after you have in your mind the full melody and lyrics to a song, the obsession with the one line or verse goes away. This time it didn't. I fought back by writing my own adaptation of that one line. This song was born from that little adventure. The words and melody are different, except for that one line. I used it in a different context and location in the song but I retained it as sort of a bow to Jim's version. I wouldn't want to take anything away from his legacy. To that end I would never release this commercially without permission, although I don't know if you can copyright a single line. I thought I would share it here, to see what you would think. Hope you like it.
[Link no longer valid]
Posted By: Al-David Re: Distant Drums - 04/30/17 10:44 PM
Hi,

Would like yo hear your song but you didn't add a link to where it's hosted.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Distant Drums - 04/30/17 10:58 PM
Sorry, That's what happens when you fail to hit enter.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Distant Drums - 04/30/17 11:31 PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the link.

We always enjoy the well-orchestrated simplicity of your backing tracks. You get so much from so few tracks - well done!

Normally, you cannot copyright a short excerpt (a line or so) from a song, as long as it it used in a different context and with a dissimilar melody. There are exceptions, though. Titles cannot be copyrighted. Never hurts to check it out first.

Enjoyed your song. It was a real nice listen

Di and I are both 70 years old - no strangers to forgetting to do one thing or another! Wishing you well,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Sundance Re: Distant Drums - 04/30/17 11:38 PM
Gary,
I enjoyed this very much! The classic laid back easy listening feel fits perfectly.

Josie
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Distant Drums - 05/01/17 05:09 AM
Gary

Yes, I could hear Jim Reeves doing this song. It has a perfect tempo, and the bass line works so well throughout the performance. The breaks give interest. Overall, a great effort.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Distant Drums - 05/01/17 11:39 AM
Very nice tune Gary. Very enjoyable
Posted By: tommyad Re: Distant Drums - 05/01/17 06:20 PM
Man that sounds really good. A fine vocal against a sparse soft band. Very well written and produced. I really enjoyed my listen. Tom
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Distant Drums - 05/02/17 06:01 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Man that sounds really good. A fine vocal against a sparse soft band. Very well written and produced. I really enjoyed my listen. Tom

Agreed!! This just works well all the way around. Vocal is very comfortable with a great sincerity. Perfect "band". Very cool song!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Distant Drums - 05/02/17 10:29 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Gary

Yes, I could hear Jim Reeves doing this song. It has a perfect tempo, and the bass line works so well throughout the performance. The breaks give interest. Overall, a great effort.

Couldn't agree more Gary! The limited instrumentation works well and is all that is needed as your voice carries the track so well. Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Distant Drums - 05/03/17 03:35 PM
Hi guitar1, Great work with this! I really enjoyed the guitar tone and the lyrics. Excellent quality. Thanks for sharing this with us! smile
© PG Music Forums