PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 12:36 AM
We did this song a couple weeks ago on Easter Sunday. It had been a while since I used this song, and it had such a powerful impact on our church, I thought I would do an arrangement of it. I kept it pretty simple, so the arrangement hopefully doesn't overpower the strength of the song. All RealTracks/Drums, with some piano and organ played by me. I hope you enjoy it!

Video:
The Old Rugged Cross - Video

SoundCloud:
The Old Rugged Cross - SoundCloud

Here are the RealTracks/Drums used...

RealTracks in song: 777:Bass, Acoustic, PopWaltz Ev 085 (A:simple)
RealTracks in song: 2716:Guitar, Nylon, Background WaltzBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2053:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryWaltzBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 982:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryWaltzCleanArp Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2555:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking WaltzJoeHigh Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 1285:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryWaltzBrent Sw 085
RealDrums in Song: PopWaltz: a: Brushes b: Sidestick, Ride

---

Steve
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 01:42 AM
Hi Steve,

This one brings back so many fond memories. It was my (Alan's) maternal grandparents' favorite hymn. It was played at both their funerals. My grandfather, whom I quote in my signature block, used to sit around their house and sing this from time to time - at least a couple of times each week.

This is so beautiful. The arrangement is is soft yet captivating. And the gentleness of your vocal is tear-rendering. Thank you so much for the memories and the wonderful listen. God Bless.

Alan & Di
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 06:43 AM
Nice take on a classic, I like the arrangement. Vocal is excellent!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 08:34 AM
Certainly a good job on an old classic.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 10:42 AM
Beautifully done, Steve.

You vocal is exquisite. So "comfortable" - as they always are...

Your piano is a very nice addition - very "tasteful".

Excellent production and mix. What do you do to the acoustic guitars (processing) - they sound so crisp and clean...?

floyd
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 11:10 AM
Love this song Steve. Super vocal...
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 01:02 PM
Steve,

This has always been one of my favorite songs (along with How Great Thou Art) and you have done a superb job with it. Love it, love it. love it.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 07:44 PM
Hi Steve.

A very special arrangement and performance.

I first encountered this song when playing bass in the school jazz band and I've loved it ever since.

This is beautifully done and it brought back lots of memories for me. Thanks.

ROG.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 08:25 PM
Nicely done Steve!! I always like your productions, and this one is also great. I like the relatively sparse arrangement, and your heartfelt vocal is wonderful! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 09:19 PM
Steve

Very nice arrangement liked the organ and the lovely heartfelt vocal.

Peter
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 09:43 PM
Steve, the choice of a minimal amount instrumentation in this is a wise one. This old classic is done in a very honorable way here. Everything sound great! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 10:00 PM
Steve,

Di didn't get a chance tp hear this yesterday so I played it for her a little while ago. She simply loved it. It's one of her favorite hymns. She said to tell you how much she enjoyed the listen. You already know how much I enjoyed it. Wishing you the very best,

Di (and Alan)
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/04/17 10:59 PM
Steve,
Simply beautiful.Your vocal is excellent and the mix top class- nothing detracts from the power in the lyrics.
A very enjoyable listen.

Robert
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/05/17 10:36 PM
Hello, Steve

Very nice country waltz with nice and soft vocals.
The melody is very simple and classic, but very beautiful.
The use of Piano is very nice.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/06/17 08:20 AM
Steve,

You have something very special here... Beautiful version.

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/06/17 09:54 AM
Like Alan, it was my grandmother's favorite hymn. I still remember sitting on Nana's lap and listening to her sing this. Beautiful vocals and a super arrangement and mix. Wonderful in all ways. Tom
Posted By: Steve Young Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/07/17 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Steve,

This one brings back so many fond memories. It was my (Alan's) maternal grandparents' favorite hymn. It was played at both their funerals. My grandfather, whom I quote in my signature block, used to sit around their house and sing this from time to time - at least a couple of times each week.

This is so beautiful. The arrangement is is soft yet captivating. And the gentleness of your vocal is tear-rendering. Thank you so much for the memories and the wonderful listen. God Bless.

Alan & Di

Thanks so much, Alan. I think this song probably brings back memories to a lot of us. I know this was one of my Grandmother's favorite songs, and it passed down as one of my Mother's favorites as well. Hard to believe the song is almost 105 years old, but still has a lot of "life" in it. I appreciate your comments.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice take on a classic, I like the arrangement. Vocal is excellent!

Thanks, Dave! Glad you like this one.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Certainly a good job on an old classic.

Thank you, Herb! Always good to hear from you.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Beautifully done, Steve.

You vocal is exquisite. So "comfortable" - as they always are...

Your piano is a very nice addition - very "tasteful".

Excellent production and mix. What do you do to the acoustic guitars (processing) - they sound so crisp and clean...?

floyd

Thanks, Floyd! I always enjoy hearing from you! I taught myself to play the piano, listening to Floyd Cramer albums. That came in handy on this song. smile

As to the acoustic guitars, I eq them with a high pass filter to make sure they don't clutter up the lower frequencies of the mix, and also allows for just a tad more volume for them. Sometimes I will dip the lower mids just a little to keep them from sounding too boxy, and sometimes I'll add just a little high frequency 9-10k shelf to give them just a little shine. I use very little compression on them, to let them breathe. Also, I have the Audiophile edition, which is maybe slightly cleaner sounding in the higher frequencies.

Thanks again for your comments!

----

Steve
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/08/17 12:16 AM
Lovely and moving rendition!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/08/17 04:04 PM
Beautiful version of this

Your voice sounds soothing and great

thanks for sharing

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/08/17 05:42 PM
I (Bud) so well remember as a kid Easters in South Georgia at my grandparents when this was was sung in an old bare pine Methodist church. And Janice's 95 year old mother still plays it on the piano.

Your version is as Kenny mentioned soothing and beautiful.

Thanks!

J&B

PS Oddly there was no sound via Vimeo and I'm a subscriber. Will check back.

Posted By: edshaw Re: The Old Rugged Cross - 05/08/17 09:52 PM
You certainly did justice to this fine old
hymn, Steve, both the Soundcloud audio
and the Vimeo movie.
Hoping to hear more. (Ed)
© PG Music Forums