PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David It's Up To You - 05/07/17 02:19 AM
This is one we write about five years ago for a contest about self-empowerment. That's the only time we've ever entered a song in a contest. Came in second place and won $200.00. Now we can afford a "full" tank of gas!

It's another one for which we don't have the tracks but it's obviously a BIAB cut. We'd mentioned to some of the long-time users about our computer blow up a few years ago in which we lost about a dozen folders with the files to BIAB cuts. This is one of them. We also had them on a memory stick/thumb drive, but it fried too as it was plugged in when the computer turned right on a left turn arrow. We now also save everything on a separate external USB drive as a back-up.

That's "not" me (Alan) playing the lead guitar - it's a BIAB track.

And a special thanks to everyone who has supported us through our litany of medical issues over the past couple of years, plus our son's death two years ago. We sincerely appreciate it.

It's Up To You

It's Up To You
(c) 2012 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Bowers, BMI

(v1)
Sometimes life turns you inside out
Makes you wonder what it's all about
Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win
That's the way it's always been
When things are tough and you get knocked down
And there ain't nobody else around
You can give up and walk away or stand to fight again

CHORUS
It's up to you what you want to do
Be the hero or act the fool
It's up to you, it's your voice
Only you can make the choice
Don't depend on someone else
It's up to you, to help yourself

INSTRUMENTAL BREAK

(v2)
When there's no light on the darkest day
You'll have to shine in your own special way
Let your spirit be your spark
Search high and low till you find your mark
Only you can choose the path
Fight the dark or take its wrath
Your soul can be your guiding light or you can fade in the dark

CHORUS
It's up to you what you want to do
Be the hero or act the fool
It's up to you, it's your voice
Only you can make the choice
Don't depend on someone else
It's up to you, to help yourself
Posted By: ROG Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 06:04 AM
Hi there Alan & Di.

This is absolutely brilliant.

Now I'm asking myself how this could only come 2nd. Sounds like a winner to me!

What a super backing track. Lovely jazzy chord sequence and a perfect choice of instruments. As Floyd knows, I DO like to hear a guitar solo and this one was exactly right for the track.

Inspired lyrics - not an easy subject to write about, but you got it just right.

Then to top it off, what a beautiful vocal delivery. Alan, you've excelled yourself with this one.

And what about the mix? Just perfect!

So very professional throughout. You should be very pleased with this one.

Cheers and all the best with your continued recovery.

ROG.
Posted By: PeterF Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 07:02 AM
Alan & Di

Sounds great - nice delivery, clear mix and very sophisticated.
A really nice listen,

Peter
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 07:42 AM
Alan and Di

This song is quite remarkable.

What a great arrangement, the whole song has a lovely vibe, the guitar break is perfect, the lyrics are superb.

There's a bit of Earl Klugh and Spyro Gyra all subtly sitting in there in that mix (and maybe George Benson).

I particularly liked the lyrics. Interest and meaning delivered within.

Going back for another listen.

Quality, throughout.

Posted By: rsdean Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 07:49 AM
Alan & Di,

This is an excellent song... A really nice mix with some great tracks - strong vocal.

Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 09:34 AM
Really nice song, mix, arrangement and production. Stellar.

I got a George Benson feel from this song as some others have mentioned. Very enjoyable listen.

Charlie
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there Alan & Di.

This is absolutely brilliant.

Now I'm asking myself how this could only come 2nd. Sounds like a winner to me!

What a super backing track. Lovely jazzy chord sequence and a perfect choice of instruments. As Floyd knows, I DO like to hear a guitar solo and this one was exactly right for the track.

Inspired lyrics - not an easy subject to write about, but you got it just right.

Then to top it off, what a beautiful vocal delivery. Alan, you've excelled yourself with this one.

And what about the mix? Just perfect!

So very professional throughout. You should be very pleased with this one.

Cheers and all the best with your continued recovery.

ROG.

Wow! What do we say after a review like that? We are humbled and so appreciative of all those accolades. I decided to use a BIAB lead guitar track as I just couldn't get it the way I wanted it after the first eight bars. That was before my cancer treatment and the mild stroke I had, so I can't use either of them as an excuse. I just couldn't get the feel I wanted.

With the music, I was going for a George Benson sound and it seems I got pretty close.

Di and I worked over the lyric many times. There are still a couple of lines that could be better, but I guess it came out okay anyway.

We both thank you so much. When the Prof speaks, we listen - it put a huge smile on our faces! Wishing you the very best.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan & Di

Sounds great - nice delivery, clear mix and very sophisticated.
A really nice listen,

Peter

Hi peter.

Thank you so very much for the kind comments. The "sophisticated" comment really made us happy. That's a very nice compliment that we appreciate. Thank you again.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Alan and Di

This song is quite remarkable.

What a great arrangement, the whole song has a lovely vibe, the guitar break is perfect, the lyrics are superb.

There's a bit of Earl Klugh and Spyro Gyra all subtly sitting in there in that mix (and maybe George Benson).

I particularly liked the lyrics. Interest and meaning delivered within.

Going back for another listen.

Quality, throughout.

This is another wonderful review that leaves us seeking words for an appropriate reply. I was specifically going for a George Benson sound with the music. But Spyro Gyra is one of the best Jazz Fusion bands ever. To even have our work mentioned in the same sentence with them was a true honor. Earl Klugh is no slouch either.

We're delighted you enjoyed this as you did. Thank you so much for telling us. Best to you,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan & Di,

This is an excellent song... A really nice mix with some great tracks - strong vocal.

Loved it!

Bob

Bob,

Thank you so much. You make us smile with your kind words. It's always a pleasure when you offer your comments. Wishing you the best.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 09:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Really nice song, mix, arrangement and production. Stellar.

I got a George Benson feel from this song as some others have mentioned. Very enjoyable listen.

Charlie

Charlie,

I was going specifically for a George Benson sound. I couldn't help but smile when you made that analogy. I am honored! Di and I appreciate your wonderful comments. Best to you.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 09:46 PM
Wonderful song Alan & Di. You are speaking to a lot of people with this one. Very good work!! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Robertkc Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 09:46 PM
Alan & Di,
Very well done!
I especially enjoyed the way the sophistication in the music contrasts & somehow makes it easier to let in the simple heartfelt message in your lyrics.

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Wonderful song Alan & Di. You are speaking to a lot of people with this one. Very good work!! Thanks, Torrey

Thank you, Torrey. We hope the message is as encouraging as we intended it to be. We appreciate your appreciation. Best to you.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/07/17 11:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Alan & Di,
Very well done!
I especially enjoyed the way the sophistication in the music contrasts & somehow makes it easier to let in the simple heartfelt message in your lyrics.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thought we'd replied to this earlier but it appears we didn't. Thank you very much for your kind words. We particularly were pleased with the "sophisticated" comment. That made us smile. Thank you again. Wishing you the best.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's Up To You - 05/08/17 12:15 AM
Much enjoyed! Reminds me of Burt B. Great job!
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/08/17 02:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Much enjoyed! Reminds me of Burt B. Great job!

Awww ... thank you so much! We'll take that analogy in a heartbeat. So glad you enjoyed it. Wishing you the very best.

Alan & Di
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's Up To You - 05/08/17 10:59 AM
Alan & Di...

A beautiful song. Really nice production and mix...

Enjoyed the listen.

fj
Posted By: David Snyder Re: It's Up To You - 05/08/17 12:25 PM
This is really beautiful!!!! Great job all the way around. I think they should have given you a lot more money on this one!!!!!!

smile
Posted By: 44kfl Re: It's Up To You - 05/08/17 04:07 PM
I demand a re-count!

so very nice, love the mix and overall sound

Kenny
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/08/17 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan & Di...

A beautiful song. Really nice production and mix...

Enjoyed the listen.

fj

Thanks, Floyd. Sure do appreciate the kindness!
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/08/17 09:36 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
This is really beautiful!!!! Great job all the way around. I think they should have given you a lot more money on this one!!!!!!

smile

Thanks a bunch, David! No argument with the money comment! But it was money we didn't have before. Glad you liked it. I did the vocal immediately after recovering from laryngitis. The first couple of lines were kind of shaky but got a little better thereafter.

We rarely write with a 6-line verse and chorus, especially with an AB-AB-AB rhyming pattern. But this lyric kind of wrote itself. We just did a lot of tweaking after the initial write.

Thanks again!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/08/17 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
I demand a re-count!

so very nice, love the mix and overall sound

Kenny

Ha! We'll go along with the recount vote. We thought the winning song was a little "hoaky". But it caught the judges' ears and it was their contest. Nonetheless, we were pleased with 2nd place from over 600 entries. First place winnings were $500.00 and a gift certificate, in an amount we don't remember, to Guitar Center.

Glad ya liked it - thanks!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It's Up To You - 05/09/17 02:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Alan & Di,
Very well done!

Robert

Robert said it so well. It exudes both sophistication and heartfelt. You have a wonderful way of allowing the listener to just sit back and listen in toto...meaning everything works together so well. The performance, the arrangement and the write are all in the pocket!

Nice...

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: It's Up To You - 05/09/17 02:19 PM
Perfect vocal and the perfect guitar track to go with a beautiful write and a fine arrangement. Nicely done. It deserved to win. Tom
Posted By: animarorecords Re: It's Up To You - 05/11/17 04:22 AM
Hello, Alan & Di

Nice jazz fusion tune with pleasant vocal.
Very gorgeous chord progression.
As Trevor and Charlie said, I also got a George Benson feel from this song.
Wonderful listen.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/11/17 05:27 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Perfect vocal and the perfect guitar track to go with a beautiful write and a fine arrangement. Nicely done. It deserved to win. Tom

Tom,

Thanks so much. We always appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/11/17 05:29 AM
Shigeki,

Thank you for those very nice comments! The chord progression came rather easily. The hardest part was writing an appropriate lyric. We appreciate your visit to our song and the nice compliments.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: It's Up To You - 05/11/17 07:49 PM
Very nice Al!! Nice message, nice music, and a great arrangement! That guitar part is great. Enjoyed a lot!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Up To You - 05/11/17 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very nice Al!! Nice message, nice music, and a great arrangement! That guitar part is great. Enjoyed a lot!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks a bunch. We always appreciate your feedback. Glad you liked it. And yeah, we're kind of partial to that guitar track. We got lucky with that one! Take care,

Alan & Di
© PG Music Forums