PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Rain - 06/12/17 10:11 PM
We just had 100 days of no rain here in SW Florida. Then the sky opened up and sent us an astounding 20 inches of rain in three days. I almost drowned my truck trying to escape one of the islands. I’ve lived here for 35 years and never seen anything like this. Unfortunately this may be the new normal. So here’s a brand new one. Thanks in advance for listening and commenting, Tom

Vocals and Electric Guitars, Tom Adams

Royalty Free Loops
RealTracks in song: 676:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming FolkRockBritEighths Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 838:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladClean Ev 085 Held
RealTracks in song: 1766:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Sync Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1787:Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 085 (Outside)

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/rain

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

Rain

We just had an awful drought

Never seen it quite this bad

Fields all cracked and turned to dust

No water to be had

Now It’s been raining every day Ain’t no end in sight

maybe we’ll just wash away out into the night

They say that this is normal and what we can expect
Even Mother nature’s bound to change
i just can’t believe it and then I heard it said
maybe we prayed a little too hard for rain

Picked a bad day to quit drinking why the hell even try
The crops dried up died of thirst not a single drop in sight
Then the creek came up and bottomland looks just like a lake
the roof just sprang another leak now i can’t catch a break

© 2017 Thomas Adams
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Rain - 06/13/17 01:01 AM
So Good!

This mix is awesome!

I can't help but think of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

listening to your vocal, super melody.

And your guitar parts are top notch

"maybe we prayed a little too hard for rain"

great line, tho never heard in Texas

I enjoyed this very much Tom, goodun, good on ya, jes so good!

Kenny
Posted By: ROG Re: Rain - 06/13/17 05:27 AM
Hi Tom.

Fabulous!

Thought it was Bon Jovi when I heard the intro.

A startlingly good mix - a big, BIG, sound and just the right reverb washing over it.

Great story, great guitar, great vocals.

What's not to like?

ROG.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Rain - 06/13/17 06:30 AM
Nice intro, you caught my attention right away with that. Good story, performance, and mix.

I always enjoy hearing your music, always so well written with such a pro sound!

Weather is totally out of whack up this way too, *way* more rain than normal.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Rain - 06/13/17 07:39 AM
"There's a lot to like about this song and I like them all. From the opening guitar intro through the great vocal sound of the way you phrase "ch-a-eee-n-ge". You nailed it.

Killer vocals, killer lyrics, mix, arrangement and production. Top notch at every level.

This one is enjoyable from start to finish."

Your friend,

Tim McGraw

(That's what I think he'd say if he heard this song...... Might add he's taking to his next recording session as well..... It's that good. )

Charlie
Posted By: Scott C Re: Rain - 06/13/17 07:54 AM
Very cool tone. Loved the jangly guitars in the intro.
Super vocal and excellent lyric. We are having the exact opposite up here in Northern Canada. Raining everyday. Ground is just so over saturated. I agree that this is the new normal. Weather storms becoming more intense. Kind of gets you thinking....
Posted By: RnAM Re: Rain - 06/13/17 08:57 AM
nice work again Tom!
Melodic, excellent guitar work and excellent vocals.

Rob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Rain - 06/13/17 10:26 AM

Great line to write a song around.

Everything up to the high standard that you have been setting for quite some time now - the write, the production, the vocal, the geetar... love those drums...

A "sneaky catchy" song - as many of yours are... they stick in your head without even realizing they will.... I hear them hours later...

You are a pro, Tom.

(we get the same weather... though often a few hours later... what a dry spell! and now we are worrying about when this rain will end...)
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Rain - 06/13/17 04:30 PM
When the guitar sings a magnetic opening groove, and you're saying "WOW", you know it's another Tommyad classic!! Grabs you from the first moment and never lets you down. Fun, clever, and so well constructed, played, arranged. That's about as high as I've ever heard you on the lead vocal Tom. Just a great song in every way!! Every year, when Winter ends, I always find myself feeling like it's too soon. After all the rain this year, driving blind with rain hammering the windshield a half dozen times, I was happy to have an end to it. But, may find myself begging for rain in another year. Crazy times! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rsdean Re: Rain - 06/13/17 08:22 PM
Tom,

Outstanding! I can't say enough good things about this one... Great melody, guitar, RTs, and stellar vocal.

BTW, this is an absolutely great line: "maybe we prayed a little too hard for rain".

It does not get better than this...

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Rain - 06/13/17 11:10 PM
cool tune. I like the "full frontal guitars" playing the rhythm.

Yep...
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/14/17 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
So Good!

This mix is awesome!

I can't help but think of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

listening to your vocal, super melody.

And your guitar parts are top notch

great line, tho never heard in Texas

I enjoyed this very much Tom, goodun, good on ya, jes so good!

Kenny
Kenny, though I never thought of it, it does sound a little like the Dirt Band. Thanks for all those nice comments. Tom
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Rain - 06/14/17 11:08 PM
Tom, man those guitars sound great! The tag line in the chorus is fantastic! A very original sounding piece of music with your signature "great mix sound". This is another good one. Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Rain - 06/15/17 09:02 AM
Nice country tune, Tom.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/15/17 02:23 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Tom.

Fabulous!

Thought it was Bon Jovi when I heard the intro.

A startlingly good mix - a big, BIG, sound and just the right reverb washing over it.

Great story, great guitar, great vocals.

What's not to like?

ROG.
Hey Professor, thanks much. I appreciate it. Tom
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Rain - 06/15/17 04:23 PM
Thanks for sharing Tommy! You nailed the intro on this, grabs you by the face right away. The production is on point as well, you utilized just the right amount of reverb. Not mention A+ on the vocals! One word for the whole song I'd use to describe it would be "attention grabbing." Great song, you should be proud of this one!
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Rain - 06/15/17 06:36 PM

Very pleasant listening.
Excellent lyrics.

Also where I live here in Italy we have those climatic events.
Just yesterday after 35°/36° - air humidity 50 %, a heavy rain suddenly.

Never seen just 10 years ago.

Sergio
Posted By: Al-David Re: Rain - 06/16/17 12:28 AM
Hey Tom,

This is so danged cool! You always have such a great nmix. Your intros and lead riffs always are in the face but in a good way. This is a super song in all respects! Thanks for such a terrific listen! Cool!!!

Alan & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/16/17 09:43 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice intro, you caught my attention right away with that. Good story, performance, and mix.

I always enjoy hearing your music, always so well written with such a pro sound!

Weather is totally out of whack up this way too, *way* more rain than normal.
Dave, Thanks for all the nice things you say about my songs. I surely do appreciate it. Tom
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Rain - 06/16/17 05:56 PM
"Maybe we prayed a little too hard for rain."

Classic!

Sorry to hear about your deluge man, but it sure did produce a great song.

Very, very tight production, excellent lyrics and production.

Another excellent work.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/18/17 08:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
"There's a lot to like about this song and I like them all. From the opening guitar intro through the great vocal sound of the way you phrase "ch-a-eee-n-ge". You nailed it.

Killer vocals, killer lyrics, mix, arrangement and production. Top notch at every level.

This one is enjoyable from start to finish."

Your friend,

Tim McGraw

(That's what I think he'd say if he heard this song...... Might add he's taking to his next recording session as well..... It's that good. )

Charlie

No doubt that is the funniest review I have ever gotten. I really laughed out loud. Thanks Charlie for all the great comments on my songs. Tom
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool tone. Loved the jangly guitars in the intro.
Super vocal and excellent lyric. We are having the exact opposite up here in Northern Canada. Raining everyday. Ground is just so over saturated. I agree that this is the new normal. Weather storms becoming more intense. Kind of gets you thinking....
Thanks Scott. Stay dry. At this point that's about all we can do. Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Rain - 06/18/17 06:25 PM
We just came in from a hike around the homestead and noticed the hickory nuts all over the trail that have fallen early due to how dry it's been...but only a couple months ago we had deluges on a regular basis. Made it easy to drop into this tune.

Not that we needed prompting as it presents all of the tommyad signature goodies. A clever write, great vocal/guitar performance all embedded in that easy to take for granted "big studio" sound. Easy to take for granted until you try to duplicate it smile

Janice loved the, as she says, "little lines he plays between the verses - I don't know how to say it!" She is now scat singing them.

Terrific production Mr Adams!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Rain - 06/19/17 07:16 AM
Tom

As it's already been said - I'll just say I really enjoyed everything about it.

Peter
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Rain - 06/19/17 09:20 AM
Well Done!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Rain - 06/19/17 07:42 PM
As others have said, great production and singing. So nice to have the chorus payoff as well as it does here.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/20/17 09:20 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
nice work again Tom!
Melodic, excellent guitar work and excellent vocals.

Rob
Glad you liked it! Tom
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Great line to write a song around.

Everything up to the high standard that you have been setting for quite some time now - the write, the production, the vocal, the geetar... love those drums...

A "sneaky catchy" song - as many of yours are... they stick in your head without even realizing they will.... I hear them hours later...

You are a pro, Tom.

(we get the same weather... though often a few hours later... what a dry spell! and now we are worrying about when this rain will end...)

As odd as it seems, I didn't have that line in the beginning. It just popped out as I was writing. The write started at the first line in a linear fashion and I just rolled with the muse. Thanks for the great review. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/20/17 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
When the guitar sings a magnetic opening groove, and you're saying "WOW", you know it's another Tommyad classic!! Grabs you from the first moment and never lets you down. Fun, clever, and so well constructed, played, arranged. That's about as high as I've ever heard you on the lead vocal Tom. Just a great song in every way!! Every year, when Winter ends, I always find myself feeling like it's too soon. After all the rain this year, driving blind with rain hammering the windshield a half dozen times, I was happy to have an end to it. But, may find myself begging for rain in another year. Crazy times! Take care. Greg
Hey Greg, thanks for all those nice things. Appreciated. Tom
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Tom,

Outstanding! I can't say enough good things about this one... Great melody, guitar, RTs, and stellar vocal.

BTW, this is an absolutely great line: "maybe we prayed a little too hard for rain".

It does not get better than this...

Bob
That sure is a great review Bob. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/20/17 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
cool tune. I like the "full frontal guitars" playing the rhythm.

Yep...
Glad you liked it. Thanks Herb,Tom
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Rain - 06/21/17 12:28 AM
You did it again! Another great listen. As always, your guitar work fits like a glove and is so tasty. You vocals shine, as they always do. Some great lines in this one. Other than these criticisms, I thought this was really good.

I am a big fan.

Steve
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/21/17 09:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Tom, man those guitars sound great! The tag line in the chorus is fantastic! A very original sounding piece of music with your signature "great mix sound". This is another good one. Thanks, Torrey.
I'm always glad to see you check in Torrey. Thanks for the wonderful comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
Nice country tune, Tom.
Thanks for stopping by, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/22/17 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Thanks for sharing Tommy! You nailed the intro on this, grabs you by the face right away. The production is on point as well, you utilized just the right amount of reverb. Not mention A+ on the vocals! One word for the whole song I'd use to describe it would be "attention grabbing." Great song, you should be proud of this one!
Deryk, Thanks for coming by for a listen. I appreciate the great comments, Tom
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Very pleasant listening.
Excellent lyrics.

Also where I live here in Italy we have those climatic events.
Just yesterday after 35°/36° - air humidity 50 %, a heavy rain suddenly.

Never seen just 10 years ago.

Sergio

Sergio, glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/23/17 09:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Tom,

This is so danged cool! You always have such a great nmix. Your intros and lead riffs always are in the face but in a good way. This is a super song in all respects! Thanks for such a terrific listen! Cool!!!

Alan & Di
Thanks Alan. I guess us guitar players like it loud. I'm glad you gave it a spin, Tom
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
"Maybe we prayed a little too hard for rain."

Classic!

Sorry to hear about your deluge man, but it sure did produce a great song.

Very, very tight production, excellent lyrics and production.

Another excellent work.
Thank You David, Tom
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Rain - 06/24/17 06:19 PM
Tommy,

As I write this you're on your way to NC and I think you must have brought the rain with you... the bottom dropped out about an hour ago and put down so much that I got water in the basement (that has never happened before)

Anyway, I always like the way you add your own playing to create a hook.. it gives all your songs a personal touch and a unique sound .

Your songs are consistently among my favorites here on the forum, and I thank you for helping to keep the rest of us inspired!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 06/27/17 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We just came in from a hike around the homestead and noticed the hickory nuts all over the trail that have fallen early due to how dry it's been...but only a couple months ago we had deluges on a regular basis. Made it easy to drop into this tune.

Not that we needed prompting as it presents all of the tommyad signature goodies. A clever write, great vocal/guitar performance all embedded in that easy to take for granted "big studio" sound. Easy to take for granted until you try to duplicate it smile

Janice loved the, as she says, "little lines he plays between the verses - I don't know how to say it!" She is now scat singing them.

Terrific production Mr Adams!

J&B

Thanks for all that. Tom
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Rain - 06/29/17 03:19 AM
Hello, Tom

The guitar phrasing at Intro that comes out many times is super cool.
It is a very catchy melody that attracts attention of the listeners.
Your vocals and guitar playing are superb as usual.

By the way, I tried to drink your bourbon recommendation-Elijah Craig.
It (12 years old) was very very splendid.
Thank you so much for your teaching it to me.
I thought that it might taste like Wild Turkey a little.

Very enjoyable listen.
Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 07/02/17 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom

As it's already been said - I'll just say I really enjoyed everything about it.

Peter
Thank you Peter. Glad you stopped by. Tom
Originally Posted By: RichRayer
Well Done!
Thanks Rich. I appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: dcuny
As others have said, great production and singing. So nice to have the chorus payoff as well as it does here.
David, I appreciate your kind words. Tom
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
You did it again! Another great listen. As always, your guitar work fits like a glove and is so tasty. You vocals shine, as they always do. Some great lines in this one. Other than these criticisms, I thought this was really good.

I am a big fan.

Steve
Steve you know I'm a fan of yours also. Thanks for the nice review. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rain - 07/02/17 01:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Tommy,

As I write this you're on your way to NC and I think you must have brought the rain with you... the bottom dropped out about an hour ago and put down so much that I got water in the basement (that has never happened before)

Anyway, I always like the way you add your own playing to create a hook.. it gives all your songs a personal touch and a unique sound .

Your songs are consistently among my favorites here on the forum, and I thank you for helping to keep the rest of us inspired!
Pat, Thank you for all support, Tom
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Tom

The guitar phrasing at Intro that comes out many times is super cool.
It is a very catchy melody that attracts attention of the listeners.
Your vocals and guitar playing are superb as usual.

By the way, I tried to drink your bourbon recommendation-Elijah Craig.
It (12 years old) was very very splendid.
Thank you so much for your teaching it to me.
I thought that it might taste like Wild Turkey a little.

Very enjoyable listen.
Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Shigeki, Thank you for your comments. Glad you enjoyed the bourbon. Tom
© PG Music Forums