PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/13/17 11:29 AM
This is an old instrumental of mine, I decided to redo it with realtracks (original version was midi).

Just a Touch

BIAB tracks used:

RealTracks in song: ~1847:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieArp Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 2728:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BluesShuffleMike Sw 130
RealDrums in song: NashvilleShuffle^01-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

The guitar is from the original, I tried to re-record it but couldn't get the same feel I did before. Back then I was using a POD XT for recording, and I played a strat.

Still tweaking the mix a little, any comments on that appreciated smile

Update: Just uploaded a new mix, made some changes to the piano (thanks Floyd!)

https://soundcloud.com/blue-attitude/just-a-touch-instrumental

Posted By: Scott C Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/13/17 01:15 PM
Very cool track. Love the harmonies between the guitars. You might find my playing along with your track :-).
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/13/17 04:11 PM
Dave,

Your guitar work on this is OUTSTANDING! Gorgeous! Beautiful! Saaaawwweeeeet!

Some of the best on this forum - and there has been a lot of good stuff.

That clean tone is the "too die for" kind...

Your playing is fluid and musical. It sings. It is never overstated. EXTRAORDINARY.

The bass and drums are equally supportive - both sound great.

--------- separating this part ------------

Lots of personal opinion here on the piano... I find it distracting - not supportive - "gettting in the way" of a STELLAR guitar performance. For a number of reasons...

- it's too busy. It is doing nice "shuffle things", no doubt, but it is conflicting with the guitar in a lot of places, and therefore... "getting in the way". It needs to quiet down some - some simple held chords underneath the guitar. And be a little lower in volume...

- being panned to one side - at least the way it is coming across on my speakers - is dragging my ear to it. I believe (personal opinion) that a piano should be mixed to "spread across the stero field". It doesn't have to be centered (through I typically center pianos), but it should not fall all to one side.

- there is a "bass-y, dark, dry" sound to the piano that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the mix. Rolling off the lows (or some mids) or adding some reverb might change that (can only be determined in the context of the mix). OR... try using the MIDI Supertrack version (2843:Piano, Rhythm BluesShuffleMike Sw 130) to get more control over the piano sound - by using a vsti of you choice.

That is a lot of "negative opinions" of one VERY SMALL aspect of...

a truly EXPECTIONAL recording. Not to detracted from that performance at all (I hope). 'Cause I really, REALLY like this!!!

fj
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/13/17 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool track. Love the harmonies between the guitars. You might find my playing along with your track :-).

Hey, we should do a jam sometime! I like your playing style.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/13/17 04:20 PM
Very nice

beautiful guitars

akin to In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, Allman Bros. to my ear

still it sounds original and inspired

I think stereo panning that piano might be an improvement

to what it brings to this

Great playing, great recording

Kenny
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/13/17 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave,

Your guitar work on this is OUTSTANDING! Gorgeous! Beautiful! Saaaawwweeeeet!

Some of the best on this forum - and there has been a lot of good stuff.

That clean tone is the "too die for" kind...

Your playing is fluid and musical. It sings. It is never overstated. EXTRAORDINARY.

The bass and drums are equally supportive - both sound great.

--------- separating this part ------------

Lots of personal opinion here on the piano... I find it distracting - not supportive - "gettting in the way" of a STELLAR guitar performance. For a number of reasons...

- it's too busy. It is doing nice "shuffle things", no doubt, but it is conflicting with the guitar in a lot of places, and therefore... "getting in the way". It needs to quiet down some - some simple held chords underneath the guitar. And be a little lower in volume...

- being panned to one side - at least the way it is coming across on my speakers - is dragging my ear to it. I believe (personal opinion) that a piano should be mixed to "spread across the stero field". It doesn't have to be centered (through I typically center pianos), but it should not fall all to one side.

- there is a "bass-y, dark, dry" sound to the piano that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the mix. Rolling off the lows (or some mids) or adding some reverb might change that (can only be determined in the context of the mix). OR... try using the MIDI Supertrack version (2843:Piano, Rhythm BluesShuffleMike Sw 130) to get more control over the piano sound - by using a vsti of you choice.

That is a lot of "negative opinions" of one VERY SMALL aspect of...

a truly EXPECTIONAL recording. Not to detracted from that performance at all (I hope). 'Cause I really, REALLY like this!!!

fj

Floyd, man!!!!!! You leave the best comments, I've learned a lot from your constructive criticism over the last couple of years smile

I'll see what I can do to fix the piano, might take an hour or two.

Thanks again for all your help and support smile

UPDATE: Fixed the piano, panned it center and selected the "simple" option in the realtracks dialogue which made it much less busy.

I know nothing about midi supertracks, will need to learn about those soon!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/13/17 04:45 PM
Great track! Great tone! Great playing! Just a total enjoyable experience to listen to this!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rsdean Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/13/17 08:17 PM
Dave,

That is some great guitar! Love the choice of backing tracks as well.

Bob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/14/17 07:23 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Very nice

beautiful guitars

akin to In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, Allman Bros. to my ear

still it sounds original and inspired

I think stereo panning that piano might be an improvement

to what it brings to this

Great playing, great recording

Kenny

"In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed", man, what a great song! That was a Dickie Betts composition I think. If I could write an instrumental half that good I would be a happy man!

I used to listen to that Live at the Fillmore album all the time back in the day, the interplay between Dickie Betts and Duane Allman, especially the harmony lines they did .... magnificent!

Thanks for the kind words Kenny, I appreciate it!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/14/17 04:26 PM
hi dave nice guitar chops perfect tone on this great listen thanks eric
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/15/17 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great track! Great tone! Great playing! Just a total enjoyable experience to listen to this!! Take care. Greg

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Greg! I'm happy you enjoyed it smile
Posted By: tommyad Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/15/17 02:53 PM
Dave, I love the twin guitars. It has a nice melody that serves as the backbone of the song. I like when you veer off to solo. Great playing! The piano sounds much better centered. The real track and the super midi pianos seem to be recorded in stereo, so splitting the left hand and the right hand is easily accomplished with a big stereo spread. Nicely arranged and mixed. I like it! Tom
Posted By: furry Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/15/17 04:14 PM
Love this track, twin guitars are superb, shows great musicianship. Nice one
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/15/17 06:38 PM

Excellent tracks and super guitar playing.
Sergio
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/16/17 12:24 AM
Hi Dave,

totally loved it! We didn't hear it before you made a few changes, but it sure sounds terrific now! You're one of the few guitarists I've heard who know how to use a deep reverb correctly. And the twinning on the guitars was simply fabulous!

Loved this a bunch! great stuff. Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/16/17 08:40 AM
Exceptional on every level. Could listen for hours. Great playing and recording...

Loved it from start to finish.

Charlie
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/17/17 07:40 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave,

That is some great guitar! Love the choice of backing tracks as well.

Bob

Thanks Bob! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/17/17 07:41 AM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi dave nice guitar chops perfect tone on this great listen thanks eric

Thanks, Eric!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/18/17 06:28 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dave, I love the twin guitars. It has a nice melody that serves as the backbone of the song. I like when you veer off to solo. Great playing! The piano sounds much better centered. The real track and the super midi pianos seem to be recorded in stereo, so splitting the left hand and the right hand is easily accomplished with a big stereo spread. Nicely arranged and mixed. I like it! Tom

Thanks very much Tom, always nice to receive positive comments from you!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/18/17 06:29 AM
Originally Posted By: furry
Love this track, twin guitars are superb, shows great musicianship. Nice one

Thanks, Graham!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/18/17 06:45 PM
We have a big nit.... it ain't long enough!

The accolades have all been used. Great superbly clean playing and very melodic in the Dickie Betts way.

As Janice said " it's happy!"

I'll throw in with floyd regarding the Midi Super Tracks. Pick up a few good piano sounds for them, often for free, and have fun - they are superb.

Great listen!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/19/17 07:12 AM
Dave

Great melodic playing not too busy - just right and I loved the harmony guitar parts.
Excellent all round.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/20/17 06:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Excellent tracks and super guitar playing.
Sergio

Thanks for the listen and comment!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/20/17 06:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Dave,

totally loved it! We didn't hear it before you made a few changes, but it sure sounds terrific now! You're one of the few guitarists I've heard who know how to use a deep reverb correctly. And the twinning on the guitars was simply fabulous!

Loved this a bunch! great stuff. Best to you,

Alan

Thanks very much, Alan! Always nice to hear from a fellow guitarist!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/20/17 06:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Exceptional on every level. Could listen for hours. Great playing and recording...

Loved it from start to finish.

Charlie

Awesome comments, thanks Charlie!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/20/17 02:24 PM
What a song, BlueAttitude -lovin' the groove of this one! The guitar work on this is incredible, and it sounds very well mixed as well. This tune shows great musicianship - thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/21/17 07:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We have a big nit.... it ain't long enough!

The accolades have all been used. Great superbly clean playing and very melodic in the Dickie Betts way.

As Janice said " it's happy!"

I'll throw in with floyd regarding the Midi Super Tracks. Pick up a few good piano sounds for them, often for free, and have fun - they are superb.

Great listen!

J&B

Dickie Betts is I guy I studied back in the day, early 70's. I figured out a few of his solos. He had a very cool style, very different than what everyone else was doing at the time.

Thanks Janice and Bud for taking the time to listen and comment, I appreciate it smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/23/17 06:54 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave

Great melodic playing not too busy - just right and I loved the harmony guitar parts.
Excellent all round.

Peter

Thanks very much, Peter! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 06/23/17 06:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a song, BlueAttitude -lovin' the groove of this one! The guitar work on this is incredible, and it sounds very well mixed as well. This tune shows great musicianship - thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks, Deryk!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 07/16/17 04:15 AM
Dave,

This is FANTASTIC!!! Everything, absolutely EVERYTHING sits perfectly and shines brilliantly. I have to say that your playing oozes with compositional and improvisational talent. If making music was an Olympic sport, this would have to be a gold medal contender! Just loved it!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 07/16/17 07:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Dave,

This is FANTASTIC!!! Everything, absolutely EVERYTHING sits perfectly and shines brilliantly. I have to say that your playing oozes with compositional and improvisational talent. If making music was an Olympic sport, this would have to be a gold medal contender! Just loved it!

Regards,
Noel

Thanks very much, Noel! smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Just a Touch (instrumental) - 07/16/17 01:27 PM

Dave,

Masterful guitar playing and excellent tone.

I really enjoy your playing. You are an outstanding guitar player man.

smile
© PG Music Forums