PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 12:52 AM
Once again, I have been out of commission for the past couple of months. I hope to be around more in the future!
My wife and I just celebrated our 41st anniversary, and I wrote this song to honor her. Most of the instruments are Real Tracks and Real Drums. I also played the organ, along with some softsynth strings, horns, and bells. I hope you enjoy this one...

Soundcloud:
I Never Knew - Soundcloud
Video:
I Never Knew - Video

I Never Knew
©Stephen W. Young

I read the letters
Save the cards
Memories of my time with you
You made me better 
From the start
I might as well admit the truth

I never knew
Just how much I needed someone by my side
Until I saw you there that night
I could blame it on the moonlight
Or the magic of your smile
I never knew
Until I met you

Time is fleeting
Sometimes slow
Some things change, some stay the same
I search for meaning
And this, I know
Your love is like a gentle rain 

And from the early days of innocence
Through the times we have matured
One thing has always stayed the same

RealTracks/RealDrums Used...
RealTracks in song: 1190:Bass, Electric, ModernRnBRock Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1597:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16thsArp Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1038:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 897:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2169:Guitar, Resonator, Soloist CountryRob Ev 065
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: NashvillePop16^3-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Posted By: Al-David Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 03:06 AM
Hi Steve,

Just watched and listened to the video. This is just so pretty - and so is Rachel. We really enjoyed the way the layers built along the way. The crisp tone of the acoustic guitars was so nice.

You soft smooth voice was exactly perfect for this song. They say the first verse should capture the listener and pull him into the sing. You certainly managed to do that. It's nostalgic but not old. It's sweet without being cheesy.

Everything about this is simply wonderful. What a treat fro our ears. And the video was so charming. Standing "O" for a job so well done in every aspect.

Wishing you both the very best and continued blessings.

Alan & Di
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 06:24 AM
Steve,

This is a great love song... I also really enjoyed the video - excellent all around.

Bob
Posted By: PeterF Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 06:29 AM
Steve

That was lovely.

Peter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 09:20 AM
Steve,

I've always thought that the hardest song to write is the "simple, honest love song". When they are done right, they are as powerful as songwriting gets...

THIS is done right! A beautiful write. Gorgeous! The bridge is especially nice...

Your production and arrangements are always some of the best ever presented here. This is no exception. Stunning from start to finish. Interesting, understated. Done right.

This is exceptional in every way.

floyd
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 10:55 AM
Steve, This sure is a beautiful song. The acoustics sound so good and your vocals are tremendous. You have been and continue to be one of my favorite artists on the forum. I always look forward to what you come up with. I loved everything about this and am going back for another listen. Tom
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 11:32 AM
Steve,

This is by far my favorite of your productions so far. The instrumentation, playing, vocals, mixing, production and mastering is gorgeous, warm and beautiful.

Great job!!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 11:53 AM
Really nice

Don Williams come to mind.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Steve,

I've always thought that the hardest song to write is the "simple, honest love song". When they are done right, they are as powerful as songwriting gets...

THIS is done right! A beautiful write. Gorgeous! The bridge is especially nice...

Your production and arrangements are always some of the best ever presented here. This is no exception. Stunning from start to finish. Interesting, understated. Done right.

floyd

Floyd said it right!! Love that acoustic. Beautiful, understated arrangement which is just right. Another great one Steve!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 06:32 PM
Beautiful song and vocal. Well done
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/21/17 10:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Steve,

Just watched and listened to the video. This is just so pretty - and so is Rachel. We really enjoyed the way the layers built along the way. The crisp tone of the acoustic guitars was so nice.

You soft smooth voice was exactly perfect for this song. They say the first verse should capture the listener and pull him into the sing. You certainly managed to do that. It's nostalgic but not old. It's sweet without being cheesy.

Everything about this is simply wonderful. What a treat fro our ears. And the video was so charming. Standing "O" for a job so well done in every aspect.

Wishing you both the very best and continued blessings.

Alan & Di

Thanks, Alan and Di! Very kind words. Glad you like this one!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Steve,

This is a great love song... I also really enjoyed the video - excellent all around.

Bob

Always so good to hear from you, Bob. Thanks so much for the comments! Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Steve

That was lovely.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Much appreciated!

===

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/22/17 11:09 PM
Steve,

floyd

Thanks so much, Floyd. Your comment are always most welcome. I really appreciate your taking the time to listen and post. Glad you like this one.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Steve, This sure is a beautiful song. The acoustics sound so good and your vocals are tremendous. You have been and continue to be one of my favorite artists on the forum. I always look forward to what you come up with. I loved everything about this and am going back for another listen. Tom

Thank you, Tom for your very generous comments. Really appreciated!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Steve,

This is by far my favorite of your productions so far. The instrumentation, playing, vocals, mixing, production and mastering is gorgeous, warm and beautiful.

Great job!!

David, I really appreciate your kind words! Glad you like this production.

===

Steve
Posted By: 44kfl Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/22/17 11:15 PM
Wow, 41 years

Congratulations

beautiful song, super mix

vocals sound great as always

Kenny
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/24/17 02:58 AM
It's always a treat when you post a song. As floyd says, writing a simple, sincere song is no simple task, and you make it seem effortless.

I thought the bluesy guitar at the end was a cool choice.

Congratulations on 41 years with your wife!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/24/17 10:15 AM
Beautiful song. Great write, mix, arrangement and production. As always, your vocals are stellar. The video was a nice touch and very well done.

Enjoyed this one from start to finish.

Charlie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/24/17 05:09 PM
Wow! That was awesome!

You really have a knack for writing songs that sound fresh and pack an emotional payload! This song is no exception to that premise! Nice job on the video too... it was all the right images at all the right times in the song!

If I had to describe this song using only one word, it would be "tender"

The world needs more of that, and I thank you for contributing your share!
Posted By: RnAM Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/24/17 08:57 PM
Hi Steve,

First, congrats with your 41st anniversary. Such a very nice video.
This is where I think you are at your best. Romantic, melodic songs.
Heck, that vocal could have been a bit louder in my opinion, because you know I love your timbre.
Beautiful, beautiful...

Rob
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/25/17 03:46 PM
Steve, beautiful song all the way around! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/25/17 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Really nice

Don Williams come to mind.

Thanks! Being compared to Don Williams is a great compliment. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Steve,

floyd

Floyd said it right!! Love that acoustic. Beautiful, understated arrangement which is just right. Another great one Steve!! Take care. Greg

Greg, thanks so much! I appreciate you taking the time to drop in and comment!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful song and vocal. Well done

Thanks, Scott. Much appreciated!

--

Steve
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/26/17 10:03 PM
hi steve good to here your songs this is a great peace put together very well lots of detail nuggets in there thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/28/17 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Wow, 41 years

Congratulations

beautiful song, super mix

vocals sound great as always

Kenny

Thanks so much, Kenny! Much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
It's always a treat when you post a song. As floyd says, writing a simple, sincere song is no simple task, and you make it seem effortless.

I thought the bluesy guitar at the end was a cool choice.

David, I always appreciate hearing from you. Your comments are most welcome! Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Beautiful song. Great write, mix, arrangement and production. As always, your vocals are stellar. The video was a nice touch and very well done.

Enjoyed this one from start to finish.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie! Glad you enjoyed this! Really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!

===

Steve
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/29/17 10:14 AM
What a beautiful tribute - congrats on your 41st anniversary, Steve smile As for the song - no complaints here! Great vocal delivery, great mixing and arranging, and of course great subject matter. Thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/29/17 03:56 PM
Your lyrics are so romantic. I especially like the bridge.

Congrats on your 41st! What a great way to make a come back.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 06/29/17 10:51 PM
Hello, Steve

Great love song!
Your vocal is superb.
I like very much the organ, along with some softsynth strings, horns, and bells you played at the bridge.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 07/20/17 06:55 AM
Steve,

My goodness! This is such an incredibly well-crafted and well-performed song. The lyrics are outstanding. They flow effortlessly and seamlessly ride the really captivating/haunting melody that you've written. I love the rhythmic flow of the first two lines of the chorus.

As I see it, this song is most surely one of the best testaments to your singer/songwriter skills that I've listened to.

I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 07/20/17 07:25 AM
You have such great voice Steve.
Most enjoyable.
Well constructed.
Love how the tune built up.
Rob
Posted By: lambada Re: New Song - I Never Knew - 07/20/17 09:18 AM
Beautiful song, fine production and great singing. Most enjoyable.
© PG Music Forums