PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan River Winding - 06/25/17 01:31 PM
A continuation of my fascination with Piano and Guitar.

Everything starts in BIAB then moves to Reaper. Even the Melody was generated in the Melodist feature.

All BIAB Midi via a selections from ST3 for the strings and pads and ToonTracks EZKeys for Pianos.

My first full incorporation of Kontact Session Guitarist 2. This was very fun.

And of course me on Lead Guitar because the objective is "..more me in my music".

River Winding
Posted By: floyd jane Re: River Winding - 06/25/17 05:40 PM
Dan,

This is really nice. The piano parts are nicely done. Your guitar fits in well.

Such a pleasant listen. A good "Sunday song"...

I enjoyed it.

fj
Posted By: David Snyder Re: River Winding - 06/25/17 07:24 PM
Really nice sounds here.

I liked it a lot!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: River Winding - 06/25/17 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dan,

This is really nice. The piano parts are nicely done. Your guitar fits in well.

Such a pleasant listen. A good "Sunday song"...

I enjoyed it.

fj

+1 Really enjoyed this.

Steve
Posted By: DrDan Re: River Winding - 06/26/17 08:27 AM
Thanks for the kind words.
Posted By: Al-David Re: River Winding - 06/26/17 08:46 AM
Hello Dan,

Such a nice blend of instruments. The stgrings are gorgeous. Pleasant and satisfy for the soul. Wishing you the very best.

Alan & Di
Posted By: RnAM Re: River Winding - 06/26/17 09:00 AM
this sure sounds amazing!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Scott C Re: River Winding - 06/26/17 12:50 PM
Beautiful piece. Loved the piano. Guitar was excellent as well.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: River Winding - 06/27/17 11:49 AM
Very nice...went so well with the morning coffee.

Enjoyed the guitar and the tone.

A fine production all the way.

J&B
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: River Winding - 06/27/17 01:44 PM
Hi Dan,

Nice work on this! It has a cinematic feel to it... my immediate impression was that a PBS or NATGEO special was about to start. It would be a great background for an inspiring narrative!

You might want to consider adding a creative commons license to this and other instrumentals you might produce.

Was the BIAB part created from a style? Or did you custom-fit pieces from multiple styles to get the sound you want? If it was a style, I like it, and I want to know which one it was!

(Above and beyond the style and/or instruments your chord progression is perfect for the song)
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: River Winding - 06/27/17 03:23 PM
Wow, MusicStudent, what a tune! I could absolutely see this being in a movie soundtrack. It's definitely got a "cinematic" sort of vibe going on. This is definitely a fine example of the possibilities of Band-in-a-Box - thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: DrDan Re: River Winding - 06/27/17 05:53 PM
You guys are far too kind. But I do appreciate the encouragement. I sat on this for a long time thinking it needed to be better. But then I finally said, let it go and make the next one better.

For those who are interested, here is what is in the secret sauce.

There is far more BIAB in this tune than I would generally admit to just anyone (but you folks are special). This song originated from a part of BIAB which I was not even aware existed (and it sounds like some of you may not know this either), but the inspiration is all BIAB.

I stumbled upon it here, go read this then come back:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=61970&Number=414018#Post414018

From there I discovered this:

PnoMood2.STY. PianoMood2 - Gentle Soundtrack S
All MIDI. Quartet. Tempo=100 (60-140)
Instruments: M-Synth, M-Ac.Piano, M-Orchestral Strings, M-Synth
M51: Synth Strings 1
M1: Acoustic Piano
M47: Orchestral Strings
M52: Synth Strings 2
Memo: Gentle 3/4 (like 6/8) LH piano ostinato ev. 8th's with soft synth string bass notes. At B add harp and synth string pads. T =60-140
-Examples: Goodnight, Moon River, gentle Soundtrack music moods

The minute I heard it I knew I had to do something with it.

All midi moved over to Reaper for the right VSTs. I felt the Sessions Guitarist really added a lot. It is a VSTi driven by BIAB midi. The melody was beautiful so I did my best to learn it on guitar and then traded parts with the piano.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: River Winding - 06/27/17 07:19 PM
I really, really love this ambient track. When I close my eyes I can see a wheat field gently blowing in the wind during gloaming. I can see people standing in the field overlooking the horizon ... as if waiting for their destiny to finally arrive.

Absolutely beautiful. I love it when I get such strong imagery from music. Keep up the fantastic work!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: River Winding - 07/08/17 11:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow, MusicStudent, what a tune! I could absolutely see this being in a movie soundtrack. It's definitely got a "cinematic" sort of vibe going on. This is definitely a fine example of the possibilities of Band-in-a-Box - thanks so much for sharing!

I hear the movie score potential as well, and as Floyd said "a good Sunday song"-never heard that before but it just sounded right. Wonderful stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: DrDan Re: River Winding - 07/09/17 02:18 PM
Greg, nice of you to circle round and pick up this old piece. Thanks for the listen.

And of course thanks to all for the nice comments. grin
© PG Music Forums