PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Through It All - 07/17/17 07:34 AM
As Di's health continues to decline, my time here is more and more limited. Will listen and comment as much as possible.

I wrote this one a few hours ago and recorded it a few minutes ago. This is the result of about two hours work, total. The vocal is a little loud but will pull it back when I get a chance. And yes, the lyric is pretty sparse, but it says everything I wanted to say. Everything else I tried to add sound like fluff. Thanks for giving it a spin, if you do!

Key=C , Tempo 66, Length (m:s)=4:21
Style is _BALADAP.STY (Country Ballad w/ Piano )

RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 1725:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBalladJohn Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~368:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1410:Piano, SynthLayer, Rhythm Soul70sA-B Ev16 100
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Through It All

Through It All – C
© 2017 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Randall, BMI

(V1)
As fools are often known to do
I shunned the truth and let the darkness through
I broke the trust you gave to me when I crossed that line
I sold my soul for nothing but a lie

(Chorus)
You forgave this cheater’s sin, though you suffered through it all
With pain streaming down your cheeks, you refused to let me fall
You held me up, bought back my soul, again I’m standing tall
An angel waiting for her wings, you loved me though it all

Instrumental verse

Repeat Chorus

Posted By: RnAM Re: Through It All - 07/17/17 08:38 AM
Al & Di,

Our thoughts are with Di and we wish her all the best.
Al, we really like this song. It is moody in a way, and very atmospheric. Immediately reminded us of Willie Nelson, but thats your voice timbre of course ;-)
Well, you're definitely a pro, this kinda result in two hours time Is an accomplishment!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: lambada Re: Through It All - 07/17/17 11:07 AM
My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. This is a beautiful song. It reminds me of Willy Nelson, of course, but also Joe Cocker's more mellow work.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Through It All - 07/17/17 12:50 PM
My thoughts are with you during this difficult time! I'm very sorry to hear she is not doing well. Hoping for the best. <3

The song is lovely. Considering the circumstances I am so happy that you are still creating. That's really awesome. I very much hope to see more.

Keep your chin up as best as you can. <3
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Through It All - 07/17/17 06:24 PM

Really powerful.

Wow is all I can say. Kind of at a loss for words really.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Through It All - 07/17/17 07:01 PM
Hello Al-David and Diana, Thanks for sharing this with us! Really enjoyed the harmonies and the instrumentation. Great job! smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Through It All - 07/17/17 07:38 PM
A really nice write, Alan.

Good arrangement and a good mix. The guitar solos and fills are awesome. All the instruments sound good. Good vocal.

This is well done.

Best to you both. Tell Di we are thinking of her..

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: Through It All - 07/17/17 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Good arrangement and a good mix. The guitar solos and fills are awesome. All the instruments sound good. Good vocal.

This is well done.

fj

Floyd hit the nail on the head!

Great lyrics also.

Di is in our prayers.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Through It All - 07/17/17 10:07 PM
Hello, Alan & Di

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time and I wish Di all the best.
This is really beautiful.
I love your way of using various pleasant chord progressions.
For example, Abmaj7 - G7 - Cmaj7 at the start of V1, F - F(#5) - F6 at the start of chorus, and so on.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 03:16 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Al & Di,

Our thoughts are with Di and we wish her all the best.
Al, we really like this song. It is moody in a way, and very atmospheric. Immediately reminded us of Willie Nelson, but thats your voice timbre of course ;-)
Well, you're definitely a pro, this kinda result in two hours time Is an accomplishment!

Rob & Anne-Marie

HI Guys! We appreciate your kindness and thoughts. And thank you for the nice comments on the song. Best to both you.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 03:17 AM
Originally Posted By: lambada
My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. This is a beautiful song. It reminds me of Willy Nelson, of course, but also Joe Cocker's more mellow work.

Thank you so much. Your kindness is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 03:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
My thoughts are with you during this difficult time! I'm very sorry to hear she is not doing well. Hoping for the best. <3

The song is lovely. Considering the circumstances I am so happy that you are still creating. That's really awesome. I very much hope to see more.

Keep your chin up as best as you can. <3

Hi Ember,

Thank so much for your kind thoughts and wishes. We're delighted you enjoyed the song. I usually have my chin high enough, not too high, mind you! We are realistic about her health but take advantage of all we can and keep plugging along. Got no time or inclination to let me chin drop! Again, many thanks!

Alan & DI
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 03:24 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Really powerful.

Wow is all I can say. Kind of at a loss for words really.

David,

It's not the amount of what you say, rather, it's the value of the message. "Wow" says a lot to us. And thank you so much for that encouragement and validation of whaT we do here on these boards and in our little studio. We value your input. Wishing you well.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 03:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hello Al-David and Diana, Thanks for sharing this with us! Really enjoyed the harmonies and the instrumentation. Great job! smile

Thank you, Joe! We're delighted you you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting us know. It's always a treat to hear from you great PG Music folks!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 03:30 AM

This is well done.

fj

Thank you Floyd. I'll pass on your kind thoughts to Di in the morning. And I appreciate the super feedback on the song. I may go back and tweak a few things when I get time. I spent just under two hours on this and didn't fine tune everything exactly as I wanted it. Nothing big ... just little things here and there. Thanks again!z

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 03:32 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

This is well done.

fj

Floyd hit the nail on the head!

Great lyrics also.

Di is in our prayers.

Hi Mario,

Thank you for the kind words both oin the song and DI's well being. It's always a pleasure to hear from you. Thanks again.

ALan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 03:36 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Alan & Di

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time and I wish Di all the best.
This is really beautiful.
I love your way of using various pleasant chord progressions.
For example, Abmaj7 - G7 - Cmaj7 at the start of V1, F - F(#5) - F6 at the start of chorus, and so on.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki,

So very nice to hear from you. I'll tell Di of your kind wishes for her in the morning ... she's sleeping now.

I smiled as I read your comments about the chord progression. I've always liked to intonate the melody with nonstandard chord arrangements. Sometime they are very pretty ... sometimes a little weird! Thank you for noticing that! Wishing you the very best.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 10:16 AM
Amazing Al. While it takes me a month or more to squeeze one tune outa the song tube some of you folks can just sit down and do it. I can only wish!

What makes the accomplishment even more amazing is the quality of what you did do quickly.

The write, heartfelt vocal and production are all in sync. And the chord progression? Oh yeah! Again, when I do squeeze that one song out it's usually 3-4 simple chords. Sigh..... smile

Great piece of work...no matter how quickly it was done.

Best of our thoughts to Di...and you both.

J&B
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 05:24 PM
Belt Buckle Shiner!

perfect for a slow dance,

fine song, just the progression is great by itself

it makes the pedal steel really shine.

The mark of a pro, you had this song in you and it

didn't take long to write it down and record.

good mix on this too! I'm so glad that you're here on this forum

to share songs with us.

Kenny
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Through It All - 07/18/17 06:52 PM
Very nice Al!! Pretty song with some heartfelt lyrics. I don't think you need to pull back the vocal-sounds great. Enjoyed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Through It All - 07/19/17 12:33 AM
Great emotional lyrics.
Really liked the chord progression.
Nicely done.
Rob
Posted By: Scott C Re: Through It All - 07/22/17 11:32 PM
Beautiful song Alan. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Di.
Posted By: Catherine Re: Through It All - 07/24/17 02:37 PM
Hi Al & Di,

Much like David, I am having trouble finding words.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful song. You are in my thoughts.

Cat
Posted By: rsdean Re: Through It All - 07/24/17 03:10 PM
Alan,

I thought I had commented on this song, but for some reason did not. It is absolutely stunning in so many ways. No words to describe it - you really drove the feeling home in this one...

Bob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/24/17 11:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Amazing Al. While it takes me a month or more to squeeze one tune outa the song tube some of you folks can just sit down and do it. I can only wish!

What makes the accomplishment even more amazing is the quality of what you did do quickly.

The write, heartfelt vocal and production are all in sync. And the chord progression? Oh yeah! Again, when I do squeeze that one song out it's usually 3-4 simple chords. Sigh..... smile

Great piece of work...no matter how quickly it was done.

Best of our thoughts to Di...and you both.

J&B

Hi Guys!

well, I think you sell yourselves short and what you do. Your music is some of the very best on the site ... that's what working on it for long periods of time produces.

But we sure do appreciate the kind words for this one ... thank you so much. The music creation portion of it comes to me rather easily ... chords just come to me in my head. I just have to work them a little bit for the sound I want.

Again, many thanks!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/24/17 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Belt Buckle Shiner!

perfect for a slow dance,

fine song, just the progression is great by itself

it makes the pedal steel really shine.

The mark of a pro, you had this song in you and it

didn't take long to write it down and record.

good mix on this too! I'm so glad that you're here on this forum

to share songs with us.

Kenny

Kenny,

Thank you so very much for those very kind words. You know how to make an old guy feel good! As I mentioned to Janice and Bud, the chords just come to me. I think maybe it's because I'v e played a lot of Jazz for many years and a lot of Jazz is based on intricate chord patterns. Many of those patterns can be reworked to work with country.

Here's an example:

When going from C to Am in country music, it's often accomplished as: C - Em - Am.

I will often use, instead, this progression: C -Bm7b5 - E7 - Am. I split the Bm7b5 and E7 into two beats each in the same bar.

Works out pretty good on many ballads but gives the progression a totally different intonation.

But, as I said, I am humbled by your comments. And thank you for the very nice words regarding this song. Much appreciated. Wishing you the very nest, amigo.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/24/17 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very nice Al!! Pretty song with some heartfelt lyrics. I don't think you need to pull back the vocal-sounds great. Enjoyed!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg!

Thanks so much for the kind comments and your thoughts on the vocal level. I think I'll leave it as is! Again, many thanks ... always a joy to hear from you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/24/17 11:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Great emotional lyrics.
Really liked the chord progression.
Nicely done.
Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks a bunch ... I sure do appreciate all that!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/24/17 11:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful song Alan. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Di.

Thanks so much, Scoot ... both for the nice comments on the song and for Di's health. Much appreciated.

ALan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/24/17 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Catherine
Hi Al & Di,

Much like David, I am having trouble finding words.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful song. You are in my thoughts.

Cat

I Catherine,

So nice to "meet" you. It's always a sincere pleasure when you folks at PG Music stop in for visit and leave such encouraging words. We appreciate your thoughts on the sing and Di's health. So glad you enjoyed the song. Best to you,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Through It All - 07/24/17 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

I thought I had commented on this song, but for some reason did not. It is absolutely stunning in so many ways. No words to describe it - you really drove the feeling home in this one...

Bob

Hi Bob,

You, sir, are much too kind. But we sure do appreciate all that kindness! "Stunning" is a strong word and we are humbled by your thought that this one is of that class. Many thanks, dear friend. Best to you,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Through It All - 07/25/17 05:14 AM
Alan,

This is stunning in so, so many ways! With each new song you bring to the forum, your singer-songwriter prowess shines brighter and brighter and brighter. There are some exquisitely unexpected chord progressions within this work... simply beautiful in the way they lead the listener along through some wonderful aural scenery. I'm glad that Shigeki Adachi noted some of them for all of us to see.

Please pass on my thoughts to Di. Not a day goes by where I don't think about you both and hope that your journey is as smooth as circumstances allow.

May good things come your and Di's way,
Noel
Posted By: bluage Re: Through It All - 07/26/17 04:24 AM
Dear Mr. David...

From the moment that I became seriously aware of the content of most songs about love, I began to wonder why the lyrics of so many of them were so sad. Following that train of thought over time has caused me to imagine that at some time way, way, WAY back in the mists of pre-historic time, men and women were actually created as one single soul containing two perfectly balanced and mutually loving spirits that we now call "male" and "female".

But then, some undoubtedly tragic thing must have happened that caused those ideally paired "male" and "female" spirits contained in that single soul, to split in half, a terrible rupture that forever impaired relations between them as they attempted to live separately from each other. I realize that this may sound like some kind of whacked-out Adam-and-Eve narrative, but I can't help thinking of it in the way I revealed to you.

Listening to "Through It All" aroused those thoughts again in me. Maybe the time we spend on this Earth with ALL of our "loved ones" is just an attempt to repair that lonely separateness and reclaim the blissful unity I imagine we possessed in the scenario I described above. If that would ultimately prove to be the case, then the loving feelings and the heartfelt contrition you poured into your admittedly "spare" lyrics has surely brought you closer to your wife than perhaps other males/men/boyfriends/husbands have had the experience of knowing.

I am truly, deeply, and piercingly humbled by the way you express -- no, expose, actually -- the simple, yet profound emotions that are the ground of your commitment to your wife, Ms. Diane, in "Through It All." In fact, I envy it, as I don't think I have achieved that in my own life. Nonetheless, it has got to be the best medicine she could possibly get to carry her through her current medical crisis. I continue to pray for her recovery in every spare, still, and silent moment I can seize from each passing day.

Most sincerely and respectfully,

LOREN
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Through It All - 07/26/17 08:07 AM
Powerful song indeed! Amazing that you produced it in such a short time too, only 2 hours? Wow.

All the best to you and Di!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Through It All - 07/26/17 09:11 AM
Al & Di, I love this one. Sophisticated country chord changes! Great write and soulfully sung. Beautiful editing on the fills and the solo. Great song. My best to the both of you, Tom
© PG Music Forums