PG Music Home
Posted By: tsanders Kindness of Strangers - 07/19/17 09:38 PM
This tune was conceived a few years ago around Christmas time when I saw some homeless people just trying to get through another day (yes, I helped out). So in a way it is a Christmas song, but is really a country waltz with a tinge of R&B/Gospel. It's called the Kindness of Strangers. Hope you enjoy.

From a BIAB perspective, it is my usual approach. Compose the tune then apply multiple styles and render tracks that I then take into Reaper. The piano part is midi from 2 different styles - part A (verse) is very straight from a Country Waltz style, Part B (Chorus and Bridge) is from a 6/8 praise and worship style - both midi played through Lounge Lizard VSTi. The organ is from a 3/4 Gospel style and is midi played through Kontakt where I could automate the speed of the Leslie - you can hear the slow down in the very beginning just before the vocals come in. Drums, Acoustic Guitar, and Pedal Steel are all Real Tracks from a slow country waltz style. I played bass and my amazing wife (Patty) sang all the vocal parts. We both wrote lyrics. BTW - we love BIAB!! What a great tool.

https://soundcloud.com/tsanders/kindness-of-strangers
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/20/17 11:35 AM
What a tune, tsanders! I really am surprised how well the country and R&B elements meld together perfectly here. They definitely aren't two genres I'd ever think to combine like you did. Also - that chorus is addictively catchy! Thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/20/17 06:58 PM
Nicely done.
I'm a sucker for a good harmony.
Good work.
Rob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/21/17 01:50 PM
Very very pretty!! The melody is just fantastic. Great message. I hear some Carole King, and a lot of 70's vibe. The instrumentation is a little unconventional (pedal steel with a bluesy melody) but it works great. Vocal is amazing! Great job on this one!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/21/17 07:06 PM
Deryk pretty much took the words right out of my mouth! They mesh so seamlessly together! Never would have thought they'd go together.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/22/17 01:44 AM
Nicely done - and sung! smile
Posted By: ROG Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/22/17 07:45 AM
A really beautiful song. A haunting backing and wonderful vocal.

The title reminded me that David (dcuny, above) once described the forum as a "Small Family of Strangers". At least, I seem to remember it was you, David.

Loved the whole thing and would like to hear more from you on the Showcase.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/22/17 11:02 AM

Very touching song, and great vocals.

Patty's voice has a slight touch of Karen Carpenter to it, and that is a great thing.

smile
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/22/17 11:10 AM
A very likeable tune, the harmonies provided a very professional sound.

Great vocals from patty.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/23/17 08:47 AM
Loved the vocal. Melody was very pretty. Lovely tune
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Kindness of Strangers - 07/27/17 04:13 PM
Like Greg mentioned we also hear a touch of Carole King here.

Very nice vocals and harmony arrangement.

Enjoyed the spin!

J&B
© PG Music Forums