PG Music Home
Posted By: guitar1 Crook Your finger - 08/13/17 08:27 PM
Hello, I'm back,
I've been offline a while. My wife and I travel a bit, and my recording set up is not conducive to traveling in a motorhome. I'll be working towards making it more mobile in the time between trips, but right now it is not really workable. Anyway, This is a new/old tune that I've semi finished. It has some static issues that I just can't seem to get squared away. If any of you have a suggestion, I am certainly open to that. I have had the first verse and melody rattling around in my back forty for nearly forty years. I never even wrote it down till now. It seems there are some folks out there now who are knocking it over the back fence with this stuff these days, so I thought I would take it out and give it another look.

https://soundcloud.com/user-484637010/crook-your-finger-1
Posted By: Scott C Re: Crook Your finger - 08/13/17 09:19 PM
Gary this is an awesome tune. Super vocal, lyric and backtrack.....
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Crook Your finger - 08/13/17 09:26 PM
Thank you so much. It has been a while so I am having to catch up. Just curious, what kind of amp are playing through? Your guitar tone is priceless.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Crook Your finger - 08/13/17 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: guitar1
Thank you so much. It has been a while so I am having to catch up. Just curious, what kind of amp are playing through? Your guitar tone is priceless.

I use a hardwired boutique amp called Purdy. It is voiced to a 62 Fender Deluxe. They are built here in Edmonton..
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Crook Your finger - 08/14/17 10:33 AM
Great tune, Gary smile I love the backing track on this, it's got a wonderful groove and your vocal performance is absolutely on point!

Can't wait to hear more - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Crook Your finger - 08/14/17 12:38 PM
Cool soulful tune, Gary.

Your guitar parts are nice. The organ and sax are used nicely...

On my system, there are a few spots where the vocal sounds like it was recorded too hot. I did enjoy your vocal, though...

fj
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Crook Your finger - 08/15/17 10:56 PM
Thanks so much, Floyd.
I think you are right. I have been having problems getting my recording levels high enough to compete with the pristine RT's. I guess I overshot. If you have a chance, give it a new listen. I applied a discrete noise filter, and to my old ears, I think I got it much closer. Thanks for your input. My ears aren't what they use to be.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Crook Your finger - 08/15/17 11:09 PM
Gary,

Such a nice feel to this- reminded me of the relaxed style of JJ Cale. I especially enjoyed the lyrics ( great " hook" line in that chorus!) and your vocal delivery.
Good luck with fine tuning your mobile studio.

Robert
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Crook Your finger - 08/15/17 11:12 PM
Great return effort.
Most enjoyable.
Rob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Crook Your finger - 08/20/17 05:58 PM
Billy Joe Shaver meets J.J. Cale!

Nice and bluesy and laid back.

Your guitar parts and vocal are cool and the sax fit right in.

Enjoyed the spin!

J&B
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Crook Your finger - 08/20/17 08:08 PM
Thank you Deryk,
Do you think 40 yrs was too long to hold on to a song? This time, with the RT's it was so much easier to put together. For years I recorded most of my stuff in pro studios, but A lot of time it did not necessarily match what I heard in my head. Nine times out of ten, my songs are completed in my head before I ever write them down, but by then I can hear the entire arrangement in my mind. BIAB makes it possible to hear my creation almost exactly as I meant it to be. That was not possible until now.
© PG Music Forums