Posted By: BlueAttitude Take it easy on me - 08/22/17 09:20 AM
Latest from Christiane and myself: Take it easy on me

The band:
Drums: BluesRock12/8
Bass: 564
Organ: 2734
Piano/vocals/lyrics: Chris Spruit
Guitars: Dave Bell

Take it easy on me (Christiane Spruit, 2017)

1 Verse
Close to the edge
when the bad times come to crash
I am tapping at the mask
plead for guilty, may I ask
Do I have to change the frame
change the rules in a running game
but I know it ain't the same
well, it is hard for me to claim

Chorus
Take it easy on me
Love don't treat me bad, this way
Can you call out my real name?
But I know it ain't the same
Take it easy on me
When I do not act decently
some times begging some times steal
Take it easy on me

2 Verse
I do fall that easily
feeling cold in the burning heat
and the taste seems bittersweet
close the door I trick and treat
Do I have to take the blame
making rules I can't explain
being a pawn in a waiting game

Chorus
Take it easy on me
Love don't treat me bad, this way
Can you call out my real name?
But I know it ain't the same
Take it easy on me
When I do not act decently
some times begging some times steal
Leave a fortune, spin the wheel

Comments as always are welcome! Still tweaking the mix a little, once it's done I'll upload over on soundcloud.

P.S. I should mention that I used neutron on this song for the first time. It did a great job of fixing up a problem I had with the B3 masking out the bass. Great piece of software!

Soundcloud link: https://soundcloud.com/blue-attitude/take-it-easy-on-me-featuring-chris-spruit
Posted By: tommyad Re: Take it easy - 08/22/17 10:01 AM
Oh Yeah! Long Live the Blues! I always love these minor chord based blues. Chris, great vocal, lyrics and piano solo. Dave, super guitar solo and the mix sounds really good with zero mud. Neutron works wonders. I am using it on most tracks now. You two have a good thing goin. Nicely done, Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: Take it easy - 08/22/17 12:16 PM
I am with Tom on this one. What a cool blues tune. Vocals were awesome. Guitar was super. Loved the piano too...
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Take it easy - 08/22/17 01:16 PM
Dave & Chris,

This has a great slow burn feeling.It might be the best vocal performance I`ve heard by Chris and that guitar solo is well worth the wait. As Tom says, you are quite the team.

Robert
Posted By: Scott C Re: Take it easy - 08/22/17 10:37 PM
Dave what are you using for guitars and effects.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 01:41 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Oh Yeah! Long Live the Blues! I always love these minor chord based blues. Chris, great vocal, lyrics and piano solo. Dave, super guitar solo and the mix sounds really good with zero mud. Neutron works wonders. I am using it on most tracks now. You two have a good thing goin. Nicely done, Tom

Tom summed this up quite nicely. There's a certain "magic" sound to a minor blues. It just draws you in and you can't escape it. And this fabulous song does just that. Loved the raunchy lead guitar! Super song and delivery.

Alan
Posted By: PeterF Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 04:30 AM
Dave & Chris

Top quality blues - great vocal and very nice piano solo.
Of course I enjoyed the searing guitar solo!

Peter
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 04:44 AM
Great powerful blues ballad.
Nicely done.
Rob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 09:42 AM

Thanks, Tom smile
Yes, we have lots of fun working on these songs together. This one makes 21 songs we have done!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 09:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave & Chris,

This has a great slow burn feeling.It might be the best vocal performance I`ve heard by Chris and that guitar solo is well worth the wait. As Tom says, you are quite the team.

Robert

Thanks for the listen and the kind words Robert, I appreciate it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Dave what are you using for guitars and effects.

Scott, for the last few months I've been using the Shuffham S-Gear amp simulator. It was Tom Adams that turned me onto using it, and in my opinion it is the best one out there.

On the guitar panned left I'm using tremolo (part of S-Gear) and I'm controlling it via an automation track within my DAW (reaper).

The lead guitar is also going though waves CLA guitars plugin, bought it on sale a few weeks ago. I'm using that to add reverb and delay mostly.

I used a strat for all the guitar tracks.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 10:41 AM
Great vocals here. Very nice song. It has a very vintage vibe to it yet edgy and modern at the same time. The guitar solo is superb as well.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 11:26 AM
What a tune! Very interesting panning going on here. The thing I found the most gripped was those vocals! They are hauntingly beautiful, and really have a unique, sincere quality to them.

All in all, a wonderful tune! Sort of reminds me of a post-modern Pat Benatar. You really feel this one in your soul smile Great job, BlueAttitude!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 11:36 AM
good job all around! I enjoyed the listen!

I love all the cool stuff that BIAB can do, but I especially like it when people use it to build a background for their own performance, and that's what you've done here!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 12:23 PM
Love the feel and groove, super mix

great guitar riffs, strong vocals

cool song

enjoyed

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Take it easy - 08/23/17 06:02 PM
"I do fall that easily
being a pawn in a waiting game"

It's hard to choose our favorite lines but the above will do. This is one of the rare tunes where everything is supportive and nothing just carried along by the stronger elements. The vocal and guitar performances don't let your attention stray for a moment. The production quality is top tier.

The song just soars and soars.....

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/24/17 08:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David

Tom summed this up quite nicely. There's a certain "magic" sound to a minor blues. It just draws you in and you can't escape it. And this fabulous song does just that. Loved the raunchy lead guitar! Super song and delivery.

Alan

Thanks for the listen and comments Alan, I appreciate it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/24/17 08:17 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave & Chris

Top quality blues - great vocal and very nice piano solo.
Of course I enjoyed the searing guitar solo!

Peter

Peter, happy you liked the solo! That was actually a one take placeholder so Chris would know where it was when I sent her the bed. My intent was to replace it, but decided I liked the feel of it.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/25/17 07:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Great powerful blues ballad.
Nicely done.
Rob

Thanks for the listen and comment, I appreciate it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/25/17 07:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Great vocals here. Very nice song. It has a very vintage vibe to it yet edgy and modern at the same time. The guitar solo is superb as well.

Thanks Samuel!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/25/17 07:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! Very interesting panning going on here. The thing I found the most gripped was those vocals! They are hauntingly beautiful, and really have a unique, sincere quality to them.

All in all, a wonderful tune! Sort of reminds me of a post-modern Pat Benatar. You really feel this one in your soul smile Great job, BlueAttitude!

Good ear, I panned the rhythm guitar different than I normally would, been experimenting with different techniques and tools here for the last little while. Always trying to get the mixes to sound better!

Thanks, Deryk!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/26/17 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
good job all around! I enjoyed the listen!

I love all the cool stuff that BIAB can do, but I especially like it when people use it to build a background for their own performance, and that's what you've done here!

Yes, that's why I got BIAB in the first place back around 2002 or so. It's a much better program now!!

Thanks, Pat smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/26/17 08:37 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Love the feel and groove, super mix

great guitar riffs, strong vocals

cool song

enjoyed

Kenny

Thanks for the listen and comments Kenny!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Take it easy on me - 08/26/17 10:54 AM

Dave,

Oh yeah!

That's what I'm talking about! See you are #1 on Reverb. Awesome y'all.

Great singing and playing!!

Love those 12/8 drums. Nice!!
Posted By: HiroshiK Re: Take it easy on me - 08/26/17 11:15 AM
I am not a blues lover, but I love this song. Chris's vocal is very attractive. Everything is of high quality. I enjoyed it a lot.

Hiroshi
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Take it easy on me - 08/26/17 01:27 PM
Chris/Dave,

Y'all just keep getting better and better - knockin' 'em outta the park one after another... everything about this is good.

Super vocal. Excellent guitar work throughout - super solo. Chris' piano adds an extra bit of ear candy...

Excellent mix. Nice added drum bits. Everything "pops".

Great listen!

fj
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Take it easy on me - 08/26/17 09:25 PM
Wow Dave, you've got it all working in this one! You also have some really great vocal assistance! The guitar coming in at 2:57 was great! Take care, Torrey
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 08/27/17 08:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"I do fall that easily
being a pawn in a waiting game"

It's hard to choose our favorite lines but the above will do. This is one of the rare tunes where everything is supportive and nothing just carried along by the stronger elements. The vocal and guitar performances don't let your attention stray for a moment. The production quality is top tier.

The song just soars and soars.....

Well done!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud, very much appreciated!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy on me - 08/27/17 08:31 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Dave,

Oh yeah!

That's what I'm talking about! See you are #1 on Reverb. Awesome y'all.

Great singing and playing!!

Love those 12/8 drums. Nice!!

Thanks David!

Well I usually have either the #1 or #2 spot on reverb. But not really as impressive as you might think, it is for my hometown of Peterborough which has quite a small population. Not much competition in the blues genre!

And yeah, love those 12/8 drums! I've used them many times.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy on me - 08/27/17 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: HiroshiK
I am not a blues lover, but I love this song. Chris's vocal is very attractive. Everything is of high quality. I enjoyed it a lot.

Hiroshi

Thanks, Hiroshi!

I have a Japanese friend that follows my music over on soundcloud. When he heard this song he told me it reminded him of a Japanese genre of music called "Enka".
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy on me - 08/28/17 07:32 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Chris/Dave,

Y'all just keep getting better and better - knockin' 'em outta the park one after another... everything about this is good.

Super vocal. Excellent guitar work throughout - super solo. Chris' piano adds an extra bit of ear candy...

Excellent mix. Nice added drum bits. Everything "pops".

Great listen!

fj

Thanks very much for the continued support, Floyd! It is appreciated by both Chris and myself.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy on me - 08/28/17 07:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Wow Dave, you've got it all working in this one! You also have some really great vocal assistance! The guitar coming in at 2:57 was great! Take care, Torrey

Thanks, Torrey! Your latest one is fabulous, such a great sound!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Take it easy - 08/31/17 03:42 PM

Tommy got it right!! Super blues-love the minor blues. Vocal is probably my favorite one yet by Chris. Awesome!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy - 09/01/17 02:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Tommy got it right!! Super blues-love the minor blues. Vocal is probably my favorite one yet by Chris. Awesome!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg! I'll pass that along to her, she was very insecure about her vocal on this one.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Take it easy - 09/01/17 08:55 PM
Outstanding! I am a sucker for a minor blues anyway, but this is way over the top. Great work! Love the guitar work, and the vocals rock!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Take it easy - 10/03/17 02:35 PM
Dave,

Wow this is good!!! You and Christiane have, once again, surpassed yourselves. I'm sitting here right now thoroughly enjoying listening.

Chris's singing is stunning. She has written a set of outstanding lyrics and the way that she performs them, really sizzles! I found it impossible not to become involved.

In addition, your arrangement is magnificent. I love the instruments you've chosen and the way that you've used panning. That guitar solo burns it's so hot!!!! Your production is incredibly creative and with hints of the 60s when they only had 3 settings for pan (left, right, centre).

I'm very late in getting to this and I'm so glad that I found it.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Take it easy on me - 10/03/17 02:42 PM

great blues! excellent vocal and super guitar.
Very well mixed.

Sergio
Posted By: jford Re: Take it easy on me - 10/03/17 06:19 PM
Excellent, just excellent! Love the grittiness of the vocal, and the arrangement is spot on.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take it easy on me - 10/17/17 06:33 AM
Thanks everyone! Chris and I are slowly getting better at writing and producing songs I think.

My wife and I just got back from a three week vacation to Europe, a dream vacation for us, we spent a few years planning and saving up for it.

One of the highlights was we got to meet Christiane and her spouse for the first time at her home in Germany, up to this point we had only communicated via email. Very cool!

As soon as I have some free time I'll spend a few hours checking out all the posts to see what I have missed smile
© PG Music Forums