PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/27/17 06:23 PM
VULTURE (video)

VULTURE (audio only)

Some "down south" and "down under" blues grin

We aimed for a 12 bar blues lyric that pays homage to the 1920's Delta classics while arranged with a more modern blues groove. So, as befits Delta Blues, the lyric is dark. While arranging it we heard an Otis Rush tune with no intro (unusual for blues) so we decided to try it.

Janice sang a bit grittier and I used a light dose of some Ozone vintage modules keeping with the spirit of her delivery.

We asked PeterF if he'd be interested in playing some blues and he quickly sent us several tracks that nailed the groove and added extra feeling and depth to each verses' vocal and lyric.

So a shoutout to Peter and as always to PG Music for making the rest of the band possible.

But, hey, I'm obviously biased so we most welcome your time to listen and comment - hard blues fan or not!

For those inclined toward the tech stuff:

Vocal: Rodes NT1 via Scarlett 212 USB interface to Logic Pro X / Ozone "Vintage" compression and tape saturation / EMT 140 plate reverb sim

Guitar tracks: Peter and whatever he does to them smile

Drums: RD Blues Rock Shuffle / tag comped from Logic Pro X kit sounds / Neutron/EMT 140 plate reverb sim

Bass: RT 1646 / Neutron / comped from three tracks

Piano: RT 2730 Logic Pro X Direction Mixer / Neutron/EMT 140 plate reverb sim / intentionally left it a bit dark sounding

Organ: RT 2731 Logic Pro X Direction Mixer / tweaked Neutron “Dirty B” preset”/ EMT 140 plate reverb sim

Mastering: Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced with slightly tweaked post eq, added imaging and light limiting.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/27/17 06:40 PM
Wow! Powerful and smooth at the same time.
Credit to you all.
Great tune.
Rob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/27/17 08:42 PM

Rock and Roll man!!!

Love it!!!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/27/17 08:54 PM
J & B and Peter,

I`m not familiar with the genre, but I`d say you nailed the "dark" feel on the lyrics ( there sure is something supernatural about those birds)- a great image to start the video and that no intro opening woks for me.
Yes, Janice does sound a little grittier than usual and that fits. Peter`s guitar work is stellar. Going back to turn it up on SoundCloud.

Robert
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/28/17 07:46 AM
LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I've been listening to music like this for more than 40 years, and I could listen to music like this all day.

Intro is very different, but cool. Good write, and Janice has that blues sound nailed, just great chops!

And Peter is just awesome on this! There are lots of guys that *think* they can play blues, but Peter is the real deal, I love what he brought to the table.

BTW, that turnaround is the cats meow, just giving you a heads up I'm going to steal it at some point :P

Going to check out the video now .....
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/28/17 11:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Credit to you all.
Great tune.
Rob

Thanks for tuning in Rob

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/28/17 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Rock and Roll man!!!

Love it!!!

Thanks David! A reaction we had hoped for.

J&B
Posted By: guitar1 Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/28/17 08:45 PM
Congrats!
Everyone concerned with this one gave an outstanding performance. Well done.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/28/17 09:16 PM
Awesome mix!

That guitar sounds so sweet

Janice sings every drop of it, great emotion

love the turnarounds

loved the listen

great job all!

Kenny
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/28/17 09:59 PM
Lots of folks posting blues oriented songs lately here, but there is certainly room for this one!! Great sounding track! As usual the production, audio/video are top level and Janice's vocal is as good as it gets! The guitar (PeterF) is outstanding! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Al-David Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/28/17 11:37 PM
Holy Smokes! This is just so danged good - can't think of enough good things to say. To say janice sounds terrific is like saying sugar is a bit sweet. And Peter, I hope you had a fire extinguisher handy as the guitar work is smoking! Love that rundown going to Peter's 6-string magic and between the verses thereafter.

What a treat! Dark - smokey - and done to perfection!

Alan
Posted By: HiroshiK Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/28/17 11:48 PM
J&B,

I am not a fan of the blues but I am a fan of you. So, I listened to the song. I did enjoy it very much. I even felt familiar with the song as well as the way Janice is singing. It is probably because the quality level as music is very high.

Hiroshi
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/29/17 08:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J & B and Peter,

I`m not familiar with the genre, but I`d say you nailed the "dark" feel on the lyrics ( there sure is something supernatural about those birds)- a great image to start the video and that no intro opening woks for me.
Yes, Janice does sound a little grittier than usual and that fits. Peter`s guitar work is stellar. Going back to turn it up on SoundCloud.

Robert

Delta blues was pretty much defined by Robert Johnson. Cream and other English groups helped popularize it and, ironically, re-introduce it to America. Two of his more notable songs are Crossroads or Cross Roads Blues (Clapton) and Love In Vain (Rolling Stones). Glad you liked it and hope it worked for you when turned up smile

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/29/17 10:27 AM
Dang! Seems like Everyone is on fire these days... EACH of you certainly are...

This forum is producing some of the best music available these days.

An excellent BluesRock write! Simple, yet meaningful, thought provoking yet complete... Tight.

In a VERY long line of great vocal performances, I think this is Janice's ultimate - constrained yet unconstrained, confident, chillingly good...

Peter's guitar work is every bit a match for the write and the vocal. Nothing out of place. Tasty.

The "behind the scene" work is stunningly good. Bud - you are a real talent. The mix is impeccable.

ZOWIE.

fj
Posted By: Buford Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/29/17 10:58 AM
Oh man...love me some blues. Excellent production and vocals. More. More.

Bob cool
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/29/17 11:11 AM
Wow, you nailed this! I love the groove, and how hard it hits. It's nearly impossible not to move to this. I really enjoyed the vocals and the lyrical subject matter too. Adds a whole other level of uniqueness to it.

Thanks so much for sharing smile You should be proud of this!
Posted By: Al-David Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/29/17 11:47 AM
Just had another listen - some items on the menu require a second helping. I may have to pig out and go back for even more! It's always a pleasure "know" people who are at the top of their profession. And you guys are right up there. Thanks again for the great listen.

Alan
Posted By: Icelander Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/29/17 05:48 PM
Damn fine piece of bluesing right there! cool

p.s. Btw, when I went looking, I found that RT #1646 does in fact not exists, you most likely meant 1546?
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/29/17 09:41 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I've been listening to music like this for more than 40 years, and I could listen to music like this all day.

Intro is very different, but cool. Good write, and Janice has that blues sound nailed, just great chops!

And Peter is just awesome on this! There are lots of guys that *think* they can play blues, but Peter is the real deal, I love what he brought to the table.

BTW, that turnaround is the cats meow, just giving you a heads up I'm going to steal it at some point :P

Coming from a blues man your comments are especially gratifying. Blues has been a huge part of music experience for decades. Any time heart and soul are put into any genre we like it...yet there is something special about blues. One of those you get it or you don't things. Thanks for those remarks and, man, how cool that you liked the turnaround -- it was a struggle to hopefully get right. And thanks for the comments re the preview.

J&B

PS Peter is experiencing some net issues but I know he much appreciated your comment.
Posted By: Scott C Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/29/17 10:48 PM
Love this. Awesome backtrack. Awesome vocal and awesome guitar. A trifecta.. :-). Well done..
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/30/17 02:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Credit to you all.
Great tune.
Rob

Thanks Rob glad you liked it.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/30/17 02:50 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Rock and Roll man!!!

Love it!!!

David
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/30/17 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J & B and Peter,

Robert

Robert
I was very impressed with Bud's work on the video.
Thanks for the nice comments.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/30/17 02:55 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Dave
Not quite sure how to respond to that - I've heard your brilliant tributes to Gary Moore and Roy Buchanan
and feel a touch humbled (but I'll take those compliments!).
It was a pleasure to play along with Janice who's vocal inspired my playing. Bud's turnaround was indeed an excellent piece of writing as were his lyrics.

Peter
Posted By: animarorecords Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/30/17 04:33 AM
Hello, Janice & Bud, Peter

Great minor blues! Very traditional.
The heavy sound is really nice.
The effects of Neutron are terrible.
Janice's vocal is excellent.
Peter's guitar following the vocal is also splendid.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: tommyad Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/30/17 10:34 AM
PB&J, This is another great blues collab. Bang, right out of the gate it smacks you in the face and says hang on for the ride. Excellent vocals and excellent guitar playing. The production is par excellence and a real standout is the ultra cool turnaround. Was Shigeki joking when he said Neutron is terrible. Say What? A really great overall sound with three highly skilled musicians showing their wares. Loved it, Tom
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/30/17 12:33 PM
I think there's something in the water right now, as everyone has been really slamming out some amazing tunes lately, and this one is absolutely no exception to that. Probably one of my favourites so far that you guys have done. Great collab! I think you nailed what you were trying to achieve here, and then some. laugh
Posted By: animarorecords Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/30/17 10:48 PM
Tom, Janice & Bud,

I am very sorry I made a big mistake on my word due to my poor English.
I wanted to use the word of praise. I meant it as a compliment.
I wanted to tell Janice & Bud that the effect of Neutron is really wonderful.
In Japanese, we say sometimes "terrible" when it is too wonderful.
But in English, "terrible" only means "very bad". I didn't know that.
I should have used "amazing" instead of "terrible".
I was so sorry I gave you an unexpected misunderstanding.
Please forgive my poor English.
Bud's mixing this time was really wonderful.
I also love Neutron very much. I often use Neutron in my mixing, too.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/31/17 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: guitar1
Congrats!

Thanks much appreciated.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 08/31/17 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: guitar1
Congrats!

We appreciate that!

J&B

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Awesome mix!

love the turnarounds

loved the listen

great job all!

Kenny

Thanks Kenny. Given how much emotion you sing with that is much appreciated.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (feat: Peter) - 08/31/17 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Awesome mix!

love the turnarounds

loved the listen

great job all!

Kenny

Kenny
Much appreciated - Bud's turnaround was a real highlight - and Janice's vocal was superb.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/01/17 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Lots of folks posting blues oriented songs lately here, but there is certainly room for this one!! Great sounding track! As usual the production, audio/video are top level and Janice's vocal is as good as it gets! The guitar (PeterF) is outstanding! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks a lot Torrey for the nice review,

Peter
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/01/17 08:31 PM
Great tune. Love the vocals and lead guitar. Just lovely. All around great production.
Posted By: RnAM Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/02/17 06:27 AM
Wow, really good song Janice and Bud!
And Peter's guitar is great, what a sound!
The pictures of the vultures in the video are beautiful (nice effect).
Top notch.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/02/17 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Thank you Torrey. We love your productions and value your feedback!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/02/17 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Holy Smokes! This is just so danged good - can't think of enough good things to say. To say janice sounds terrific is like saying sugar is a bit sweet. And Peter, I hope you had a fire extinguisher handy as the guitar work is smoking! Love that rundown going to Peter's 6-string magic and between the verses thereafter.

Alan

Alan
Thank you! - most kind and appreciated.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/03/17 07:07 PM

Alan

Al, we just go home exhausted from a very hard long bike ride and reading your remarks is so uplifting we're ready to go do it again!

Thank you.

Bud
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/04/17 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: HiroshiK
J&B,

I am not a fan of the blues but I am a fan of you. So, I listened to the song. I did enjoy it very much. I even felt familiar with the song as well as the way Janice is singing. It is probably because the quality level as music is very high.

Hiroshi

Thanks Hiroshi.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/05/17 11:07 AM
Originally Posted By: HiroshiK
J&B,

Hiroshi

Thanks for listening to the Blues and for saying such nice things about the song. We appreciate it!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/05/17 12:53 PM
WOW!!!! WOW!!!! It is hard to think of the words to describe how cool this is. In Janice's very long record of great vocal tracks, this is right at the top! And, Peter's guitar work is off the hook! Great sounding track, great vibe, and great grit! Congrats to all!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/06/17 04:48 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

An excellent BluesRock write! Simple, yet meaningful, thought provoking yet complete... Tight.

In a VERY long line of great vocal performances, I think this is Janice's ultimate - constrained yet unconstrained, confident, chillingly good...

Peter's guitar work is every bit a match for the write and the vocal. Nothing out of place. Tasty.

The "behind the scene" work is stunningly good. Bud - you are a real talent. The mix is impeccable.

ZOWIE.

fj

Floyd
Much appreciated review - it was a pleasure being involved in this project.

Peter

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/06/17 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

ZOWIE.

fj

A review this complimentary and supportive and covering all aspects of the production makes us feel that the time/effort expended since we started our BiaB journey six years ago has been worthwhile. When we started with BiaB as bluegrass players the notion that we could produce a blues song was not remotely on the radar screen. We both remain deeply appreciative of the co-writes, vocal collabs and mixing advice over the years with you. Here's to many more!

Thank you,

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/08/17 06:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Buford

Bob cool

Thanks Bob! Glad it worked for you.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow, you nailed this! I love the groove, and how hard it hits. It's nearly impossible not to move to this. I really enjoyed the vocals and the lyrical subject matter too. Adds a whole other level of uniqueness to it.

Thanks Deryk, we tried to get that older blues sound with the write and the vocal. And of course Peter iced the cake.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/09/17 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Buford

Bob cool

Bob
Much appreciated.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/09/17 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

Deryk

Thanks for the review.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/10/17 10:52 PM
Just had another listen - some items on the menu require a second helping. I may have to pig out and go back for even more! It's always a pleasure "know" people who are at the top of their profession. And you guys are right up there. Thanks again for the great listen.

Alan

Thanks for checking back in! Nice of you to say that...even if we've never approached music as a profession. Just good ole fashioned fun.

We appreciate it!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Icelander
Damn fine piece of bluesing right there! cool

p.s. Btw, when I went looking, I found that RT #1646 does in fact not exists, you most likely meant 1546?

Thanks and good call -- yep the old guy made another of his numerous typos!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/11/17 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Love this. Awesome backtrack. Awesome vocal and awesome guitar. A trifecta.. :-). Well done..

Thanks Scott (3x).
Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/12/17 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki
Thanks for the kind review(and your later clarification on Neutron).
Much appreciated.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/13/17 09:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thank you Scott. Sometimes things seem to fall in place.

J&B

Originally Posted By: animarorecords

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you Shigeki. Glad you liked it all. Thanks for mentioning the minor key as we felt like that enhanced the feel.

J&B

PS we understand that terrible was meant as positive. In English bad sometimes means good smile
Posted By: Steve Young Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/13/17 10:31 PM
So nice! Love the (no) intro. No use wasting any time getting into this fine tune. Janice, your vocals always shine, and this is one of your best. Love the guitar work by Peter. This sounds like something Eric Clapton might would have done.

And great production and video, Bud. What a team!

I have been out for a couple months, and so glad to come back to this one!

Steve
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/14/17 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
PB&J, This is another great blues collab. Bang, right out of the gate it smacks you in the face and says hang on for the ride. Excellent vocals and excellent guitar playing. The production is par excellence and a real standout is the ultra cool turnaround. Was Shigeki joking when he said Neutron is terrible. Say What? A really great overall sound with three highly skilled musicians showing their wares. Loved it, Tom

Tom, thank you so much for all the kinds words. Glad you liked the turnaround as it drove me nuts trying to get it to work. Best to you as y'all recover from Irma!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I think there's something in the water right now, as everyone has been really slamming out some amazing tunes lately, and this one is absolutely no exception to that. Probably one of my favourites so far that you guys have done. Great collab! I think you nailed what you were trying to achieve here, and then some. laugh

Thanks Ember. It's always great to hear from you and cool that you like the blues!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/15/17 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Great tune. Love the vocals and lead guitar. Just lovely. All around great production.

Thanks! Glad you liked it all.

J&B

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Top notch.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks y'all and we appreciate you mentioning the video!

J&B
Posted By: Sundance Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/16/17 11:39 AM
That extra "grit" totally works on this one! Great job all around!
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/16/17 06:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis

Much appreciated.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/16/17 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Top notch.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob & Anne-Marie

Thanks for those encouraging words.

Peter
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/17/17 02:12 AM
Very cool! Nice collab. Great vocal and the guitar sounds super.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/17/17 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!!! WOW!!!! It is hard to think of the words to describe how cool this is. In Janice's very long record of great vocal tracks, this is right at the top! And, Peter's guitar work is off the hook! Great sounding track, great vibe, and great grit! Congrats to all!!! Take care. Greg

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
So nice! Love the (no) intro. No use wasting any time getting into this fine tune. Janice, your vocals always shine, and this is one of your best. Love the guitar work by Peter. This sounds like something Eric Clapton might would have done.

Steve

Both of you write, sing, arrange and mix top tier forum productions that never disappoint in their pro quality. The comments from you make it all worth while for us and we very much appreciate them.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/17/17 07:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Originally Posted By: Steve Young

Steve

Both of you write, sing, arrange and mix top tier forum productions that never disappoint in their pro quality. The comments from you make it all worth while for us and we very much appreciate them.

J&B

Couldn't have said it any better..

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 09/18/17 09:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
That extra "grit" totally works on this one! Great job all around!
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Very cool! Nice collab. Great vocal and the guitar sounds super.

Hey, nice to hear from the ladies! Thank you.

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: VULTURE (with PeterF) - 10/05/17 05:07 PM
Janice, Bud and Peter,

I think this emoticon says it all...

This is such a great listen!

Janice, you are really singing up a storm on this one. I sat here thinking, "How does she make sounding SO good seem SO easy!" If ever you decide to bottle your talent and ship it across the globe, I'll definitely take some.

Peter, your guitar playing is first class (as it always is). It seemed to me that you really settled into the groove and let fly! Outstanding stuff!

Bud, the mix is sharp, focused and resonating with crystal clarity. Once again, you've created a sound that is a fully authentic band.

Absolutely everything about this appealed to me. (Now I'm off to watch the video.)

All the best to you all,
Noel
© PG Music Forums