PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/19/17 06:34 PM
This may be my last song for a little while, dunno, have two albums worth of stuff to put out and don't need any more songs right now. But that could change in ten minutes.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel/freeway

Here are some fun facts on this song and why I call it a Tribute to Band in a Box.

1.) I managed to get the words “Band in a Box” into a rhyme scheme.

2.) Unless I am missing something, I think I may have just immortalized the words “Band in a Box” in a rock song. smile

3.) I wrote this using a rinky dink notebook with BIAB 2015 and some user tracks with no electricity at night in the middle of nowhere in Lassen Volcanic State Park in Northern California in the dark with a headlamp. User tracks let you take your own band anywhere with no electricity. Even a dark wilderness beach. Gnarly Brah.

4.) Tom Petty says he wrote Free Fallin’ just to make Jeff Lynne laugh. I wrote this just to make you people laugh. Hope it works. A video is next. It will be killer, trust me.

Be excellent to one another.

Freeway

By David Snyder

Where I’m driving
It’s nobody’s business
I’m on the freeway
And I’m driving alone
Heading out of
North Sacramento
Every mile of this world is my own

PreChorus

And the sun is shining on my face
And I’m dreamin’ ‘bout you baby
But I had to leave this world
Cause I got some things to do

CH:

On the Freeway
That’s where I’m driving
On the Freeway
This world is my own
On the Freeway
At least I’m surviving
On the Freeway
Might not ever go home

V2

Looking for a place
Where I can feel worthy
Looking for a band
That knows how to rock
Taking with me
A lifetime of memories
Taking with me
My band in a box

PreChorus

And the sun is shining on my face
And I’m praying for you baby
But I had to cut these ties
Cause I got some things to do

CH

On the Freeway
That’s where I’m driving
On the Freeway
This world is my own
On the Freeway
At least I’m surviving
On the Freeway
Might not ever go home

V2 Reprise

Looking for a place
Where I can feel worthy
Looking for a band
That knows how to rock
Taking with me
A lifetime of memories
Taking with me
My band in a box

CH

On the Freeway
That’s where I’m driving
On the Freeway
This world is my own
On the Freeway
At least I’m surviving
On the Freeway
Might not ever get home

Rideout:

Keep on driving
Keep on striving
Keep the faith
Yeah keep surviving

Keep on driving
Keep on striving
Keep the faith
Keep surviving

On the Freeway
On the Freeway
On the Freeway
On the Freeway

All music and lyrics copyright 2017 by David Snyder, ASCAP/Day of Faith Records

David Snyder: Lead and backing vocals, 12 String Guitars (4 parts), Fender Telecaster (3 parts), keyboards, synthesizers and electronic drums. Mixed and engineered by David Snyder.

Real Tracks:

RealTracks in style: ~1636:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkBreezy Ev16 075
RealDrums in style: FunkyCountryPop [Multi]
[b][/b]

Attached picture Freeway Lyrics Art.jpg
Great lyrics, David! I definitely think you achieved what you set out to do. Also super cool to see your notes! :P

Promise that if you stay on that freeway of yours and never go home that you will continue to toss music our way! laugh Can't wait for the next, even if this is your last for the next while ( or ten minutes! ).
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/19/17 09:05 PM
David,
You put some California into this and those 12 strings sound great!
I really like the road vision quality of the lyrics... and your vocal has that happy "Free Falling" feel to it.
Sorry, I`m not laughing just singing along,cos this is a good song... though the picture of you scribbling away in the dark near a volcano does give me hope for that video.

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/19/17 10:06 PM
Great Job David! I have utmost confidence you won't disappear for long! You have too much creativity alive in you to let it sit idle for very long and that's a fact! Torrey
Posted By: Sundance Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/19/17 10:21 PM
David, i think music just naturally oozes out of your pores man! What a cool driving song. It put my imagination right on the highway with you and the band in a box rhyme fit right in there. Great sound and I totally enjoyed the ride!
What's Up Mr. Dave?

Thank you this wonderful Time Machine!!! "Freeway" took me back to a time when I was young and enraptured by the Beatles and the British Invasion. Back home we had Roger McGuinn and the Byrds (Hey Mr. Tamborine Man). I'm sure you've heard this before, but I swear I was listening to him (McGuinn)! I loved the Byrds and McGuinn and his Rickenbacker ringing like a bell on a foggy night!! Then along came Jimi Hendrix and spoiled everything for me!!! LOL! The BIAB reference was smooth. That 12 string resurrected a few dead Hippies! I felt like I was riding in the passenger seat with the top down. What a great ride and reminder of where we came from!!!

Don't stop now, I'm liking the view!!!! =D
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/20/17 01:48 AM
Great one David, I really enjoyed this.
Rob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/20/17 06:15 AM
Awesome! (a very overused word, but it always fits when talking about your music smile Loved it!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/20/17 11:11 AM
David,

Don't be gone long, dude.

Your music has a real freedom to it. The way Neil Young has always had. Like there is no way to keep it locked up. (who let him out!?!?)

A great listen. Really well put together. Art.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/20/17 12:11 PM
David this is such a cool tune. Loved the guitars . The jangle had a hint of Byrds or Tom Petty. Very cool sound. I really appreciate you posting the lyrics and the notes. I make of point now of reading the lyrics to the tunes before I listen to the songs. These are so well done.. Really appreciating what an art it is to put this words together in such a cool way. There are some serious wordsmiths in this forum. Excellent vocal as well..
Great work on this, David smile I'm definitely getting a Tom Petty sorta vibe on this one - a good thing in my books! Overall, this is just a well written song. The arrangement is on point, it's the perfect amount of catchiness, and the mix is well done too.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/21/17 07:17 AM
hey David,

I listened to this a couple of days ago but didn't get a chance to comment - we had a family emergency. I like the way you just let it all fly wherever you want it to and then you harness it and end up with some really cool - like this.

The 12 strings give me a slight feel of the British Invasion but much more contemporary.

You're just way too cool with your music. Don't be gone too long. You'll be missed! Wishing you the very best in your absence.

Alan
Posted By: MarioD Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/21/17 09:15 PM
I get a Tom Petty feeling here and that is a compliment! This has everything; perfect backing tracks (love that 12 string), super vocals and lyrics. This may be your best to date.

Another David keeper.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/21/17 10:39 PM
Yeah, that'll change in 10 minutes ;-)
but I have to say this sounds really cool! Since I'm a big Tom Petty fan this really hits the spot for me.

Rob
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/21/17 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Great Job David! I have utmost confidence you won't disappear for long! You have too much creativity alive in you to let it sit idle for very long and that's a fact! Torrey

yes, what Torrey said...

enjoyed this very much,

Kenny
Posted By: PeterF Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/22/17 02:23 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

yes, what Torrey said...

enjoyed this very much,

Kenny

David
What Kenny & Torrey said...

Peter
Hello, David

Very cool folk rock song!
As Robert said, you put some California into this and those 12 string guitar sound great!
It reminds me of The Byrds a little bit.
Nice melody and chord progression!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/22/17 03:10 PM

Thanks Ember! Band in a Box has made me too prolific so I need to chill for a bit and re-master about 24 songs for album releases.

Your product is too good.

smile

I will try and be back as soon as I can.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/22/17 03:10 PM

Thanks Robert!!! I am glad you liked it! Working on the video now!!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/22/17 03:11 PM

Thanks Torrey! I have an avalanche of stuff to master right now dude but I will try and get back!!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/22/17 03:13 PM

Josie,

You have such a descriptive way with words!

Have you considered being a songwriter??

smile

Seriously though, thanks!!! Loved your last song!! The lyrics were genius. wink Ha ha.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/22/17 03:14 PM

Thanks Dave,

I really loved this review man! It made it all feel worthwhile. I am so glad you liked it--and again, this review really made my day. Seriously. Thanks Brah.

smile

Great rockin'.
Very nice listening.

Sergio
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/23/17 07:06 PM
Thanks Rob!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/23/17 07:06 PM

Dave,

Feel free to use the word awesome any time you want to man.

Really glad you liked it!! Thanks so much!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/23/17 07:07 PM

Thanks Floyd. I am really glad you liked it! Keep writing those hits man!!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/24/17 02:45 PM
Snyder, Byrds, Petty mashup. Nice!

Great chorus and hook....lingers well on after the song is over.

Don't cut us off...after you've hooked us.

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/24/17 11:15 PM
On the Freeway
That’s where I’m driving
On the Freeway
This world is my own
On the Freeway
At least I’m surviving
On the Freeway
Might not ever go home

Love that chorus!! Love the vibe!! Love the energy!! As a Californian, who lives 10 minutes from Sacramento, I'm ashamed to admit I don't know where Hiway 299 is. This is great stuff. Don't stay away long. You are a big part of the heartbeat of this forum!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/25/17 04:25 PM

Thank you Scott. I appreciate your kind words so much, especially your commentary on the lyrics.

I really was just trying to make you guys laugh, but when I got into it, I was like, "Hmmmm..this isn't so bad..."

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 09/25/17 04:26 PM
Thank you Deryk. I am so glad you liked it!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 10/03/17 09:25 PM
Thanks so much Al and Di! I have been enjoying your new tunes!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 10/03/17 09:26 PM

Thanks Mario, that is quite a compliment!

I have been really digging your new of late as well. Really awesome tunes man!!

smile
Posted By: LPman Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 10/04/17 06:55 AM
I really felt some tom petty moments here,
it's always cool for me to hear; how you handle vocals...
I like the feel to this song... keep on rocking
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 10/06/17 03:57 PM

Thanks Rob and Anne-Marie. I really appreciate that!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 10/06/17 03:57 PM

Thanks Kenny!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 10/09/17 09:31 PM
Hi Shigeki,

Thanks much much. I am so glad you enjoyed this! Your words are really kind.

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 10/09/17 09:31 PM
Hey thanks Sergio!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Freeway_A Tribute to Band in a Box - 10/16/17 09:09 PM
Thanks Janice and Bud,

Well, ok since I don't want you to get the DTs I guess I will mix another album and then start on some new tunes.

This one was for you guys.

smile
© PG Music Forums