PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/27/17 10:48 AM
I spent 3 weeks in Savannah one night....

(WHAT AM I DOING) IN SAVANNAH TONIGHT

out on the highway
the headlights do a slow dance
when i see her again
i'll hold her so tight
for months she's been begging
with a florida postmark
so what am i doing in savannah tonight

don't you just love
   the way those southern girls talk
   spanish moss hanging
   over cobblestone walks
   your way barely lit
   by an old gaslight
   what am i doing
   in savannah tonight

never intended
more than just a quick detour
to hook up with an old friend
pass a couple around
lost all track of time
enchanted nights by the river
where southern belles dance
in this confederate town

don't you just love
   spanish moss hanging
   over cobblestone walks
   your way barely lit
   by an old gaslight
   what am i doing
   in savannah tonight

for weeks i've been saying
i really must go
we head back to the river
raise a glass to goodbye
if she's given up waiting
could anyone blame her
i watch the moon dance across
a clear georgia sky

don't you just love
   spanish moss hanging
   over cobblestone walks
   your way barely lit
   by an old gaslight
   what am i doing
   in savannah tonight

what am i doing
   under old gaslights
   and what am i doing
   in savannah tonight

The BAND:
Style is _CFPBTSW.STY (SlowCtryWltz 2FngerPkGuits[85RS])
RealTracks in style: ~1121:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~1126:Pedal Steel, Rhythm CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~2053:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryWaltzBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~822:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Country Waltz Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2259:Piano, Rhythm CountryWaltzJohn Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2250:Piano, Soloist CountryWaltzJohn Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2450:Guitar, Nylon, Rhythm CountryWaltzBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~~1090:Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2006:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryWaltzPaul Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2066:Piano, Rhythm NewAgeAnswers Ev16 110
RealDrums in style: NashClassicWaltzSw^1-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

Harmonies: Janice Merritt (recorded and processed by Bud Merritt)
(well, ya gotta have Georgians involved, ya know...)

Comments welcome (they should include a drawl)
Have at it, y'all.

floyd
Great work on this, Floyd smile I like the gentle, slow pace this tune follows. I found the vocal performance and lyrical content very authentic and heartfelt as well. Very easy to relate to, and the tune is easy to close your eyes and lose yourself to.

Thanks for sharing!
I really love your lyric writing. <3 I always find it so moving. I like the almost tender tone to this one, although it also has a touch of sadness to the song as well.

Lovely sound. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Biglad Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/27/17 03:33 PM
As always with your writing floyd,you keep the listener wanting more.you have a talent for creating an atmosphere and taking us there.the production is first class as is the vocals.yours and Janice's.
a great track thank you
brad
Posted By: RnAM Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/27/17 04:29 PM
This one has such a beautiful chorus! The lead and backing vocals blend perfectly.
This is another quality song, in a very long list of quality songs.

Rob
Posted By: 44kfl Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/27/17 05:18 PM
Wow!!!

love the chorus

love the vocal blend

your lead vocal is so good!

the instruments and arrangement are all well thought out

and work to maximum effect

super write

what can I say, I like it a lot

Kenny
Posted By: PeterF Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/27/17 07:05 PM
floyd

A very pretty evocative song - (tender even) - that has a superb melody. Lovely chorus, excellent vocals both your lead and Janice's wonderful harmony, and an engaging lyric.
Like Kenny I like it a lot.

Peter
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/27/17 07:16 PM
Hi floyd. Dont recall you doing a waltz before.
You have a assembled a great team there.
Great lyrics and I really enjoyed the melody and harmonies.
Nicely done on all fronts.
Sorry for the lack of the southern drawl smile
Rob
This song has that large mossy spanish oak in the back yard feel about it like you may hear in a movie. I can see myself setting under the slow turning ceiling fan on the back porch catching the afternoon breeze, sweet tea and Paula Deen Take Out... (snap) Oh, here I am back on the farm.

Great imagery, and a solid vocal with outstanding backing vocals. Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie
Posted By: Robertkc Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/27/17 07:55 PM
Floyd,

You`ve given this song a lovely relaxed feel with the arrangement.
I`m a sucker for a waltz and the story behind this one is really well told- romantic but real.
There`s lots of instruments on that list but the backing sounds simple and just right.
Your voice blends better than ever with Janice on the chorus.
Beautiful.

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/27/17 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Wow!!!

love the chorus

love the vocal blend

super write

Kenny

Floyd,

I couldn't have said it better than Kenny did. Major 7th and minor chords on pedal steel are so gorgeous. And you have a way of making the great sound fabulous. And this is the legitimate definition of musical creation and performance.

That chorus is one the best pieces of writing I've encountered in a very long time. Musical excellence creating listening satisfacion.

Alan
Posted By: Scott C Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/27/17 10:54 PM
Beautiful love song Floyd. Super vocal and such beautiful harmonies. Guitar was so sweet. Just floated along with the backtrack. Well done. You have so many good songs. But I think this is your best. The mix was professional as well. Everything just sits in there so perfectly.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/28/17 10:43 AM
Wow Floyd.

You just never cease to amaze.

It doesn't seem to matter what music genre you turn to, you never do anything except master it.

The lyrics, the rhyming technique, the harmony, the absolutely everything makes this another masterpiece.

Always look forward to your material. Don't 'wore-it-out' yet.

Trev
Posted By: Sundance Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/28/17 11:49 AM
Pretty intro and love the waltz. Such pretty vocal and harmonies with wonderful imagery. Great job!
SWEEEEEET!!! As seductive as Savannah apparently is. Beautiful poetic lyrics and a melody you could just wash around in for an hour. The band is perfectly conducted. Love that decorative piano and the expressive guitar. It doesn't get much better than this. GREAT one Floyd!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: bluage Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/29/17 02:36 AM
Mr. Jane...

I know what you were doing in Savannah last night -- you were composing another one of your sensual and sweet songs!

Every single time I listen to one of your songs, my interest is usually drawn first to the soft, flickering flame of your lyrics. If you get any better at that, soon you won't need to compose music for them, because all the music anybody will need to hear will be contained within, and then released through the melody and rhythm inherent in your verses:

"The headlights do a slow dance..."

"...she's been begging with a Florida postmark..." (That one's particularly imaginative in its imagery and is freighted with warmth and emotion.)

"...your way barely lit by an old gaslight..."

As impressionistic as memories your lyrics are, Mr. Jane. On this particular song your singing voice is of the kind that holds our attention the more quiet it becomes. Talk about "sweet whispers in her ear"!

And last, but certainly not least, Ms. Merritt's vocals are like spirits that embody all of the nostalgia the song conjures up.

I counted eleven (11) Real Tracks/MIDI super tracks in your song, but it sounds like there were no more than three, or four. That's how initimate the feel of the song is. However you pulled that off in technical terms, in the end it simply sounds like magic.

LOREN
"Begging with a Florida postmark". just beautiful Floyd.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/29/17 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Great work on this, Floyd smile I like the gentle, slow pace this tune follows. I found the vocal performance and lyrical content very authentic and heartfelt as well. Very easy to relate to, and the tune is easy to close your eyes and lose yourself to.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Deryk. I appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I really love your lyric writing. <3 I always find it so moving. I like the almost tender tone to this one, although it also has a touch of sadness to the song as well.

Lovely sound. Thanks for sharing.

Ember - thanks for listening. And for the very kind comments...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 09/30/17 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Biglad
As always with your writing floyd,you keep the listener wanting more.you have a talent for creating an atmosphere and taking us there.the production is first class as is the vocals.yours and Janice's.
a great track thank you
brad

Appreciate you stopping in, Brad. It's is always a pleasure to sing with Janice.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
This one has such a beautiful chorus! The lead and backing vocals blend perfectly.

Rob

Thanks, Rob. Always interested in how these sit with you...
Originally Posted By: Biglad
a great track thank you
brad

Originally Posted By: RnAM

Rob

Thank you for mentioning the harmony. This southern girl was excited to be asked to add a little to this great southern song!

Janice
Good one Floyd! That chorus is really strong with great chord structure! You epitomize all the qualities of a great singer/songwriter and should be an inspiration to anyone using BIAB for their production! I'm a fixin' to use some of that inspiration to work on a new one! Take care, Torrey
Hello, floyd

Very beautiful country waltz!
Sweet vocals and harmonies.
Very gorgeous. Splendid collaboration.
The piano appearing in the second half of the song is also very nice.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/02/17 02:12 PM
Wow!!!

love the chorus

love the vocal blend

super write

Kenny

Thanks for all of that, Kenny. You have been knockin' me over with all of your stuff lately...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

A very pretty evocative song - (tender even) - that has a superb melody. Lovely chorus, excellent vocals both your lead and Janice's wonderful harmony, and an engaging lyric.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. Who knew I HAD a tender side? smile
Floyd,

I won't go on and on. No need.

This is just flat out gorgeous.
Posted By: MarioD Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/02/17 08:55 PM
Its all been said so all I can add is this is as sweet as a Georgia peach!

This is a keeper.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/03/17 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Rob

Appreciate you have a go at this, Rob...

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This song has that large mossy spanish oak in the back yard feel about it like you may hear in a movie. I can see myself setting under the slow turning ceiling fan on the back porch catching the afternoon breeze, sweet tea and Paula Deen Take Out... (snap) Oh, here I am back on the farm.

Great imagery, and a solid vocal with outstanding backing vocals. Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

smile - I enjoyed that... I thought this one might be to your liking, Charlie...

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

I`m a sucker for a waltz and the story behind this one is really well told- romantic but real.
There`s lots of instruments on that list but the backing sounds simple and just right.
Beautiful.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Some of the instruments were use in small patches where I wanted something specific to happen - a "piece together piece"... Janice is my musical sister - so, of course we blend! smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/04/17 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Wow!!!

love the chorus

love the vocal blend

super write

Kenny

Floyd,

I couldn't have said it better than Kenny did. Major 7th and minor chords on pedal steel are so gorgeous. And you have a way of making the great sound fabulous. And this is the legitimate definition of musical creation and performance.

That chorus is one the best pieces of writing I've encountered in a very long time. Musical excellence creating listening satisfacion.

Alan

What a very nice thing to say, Alan! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful love song Floyd. Super vocal and such beautiful harmonies. Guitar was so sweet. Just floated along with the backtrack. Well done. You have so many good songs. But I think this is your best. The mix was professional as well. Everything just sits in there so perfectly.

Thanks, Scott... I really appreciate that...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/05/17 10:31 AM
floyd,

This is stunning... a really fine listen.

You've written so many excellent melodies over the years but, for some reason, this one really resonated with me tonight. Having a melody spotlighting major sevenths and ninths (to name only two of a few things I heard) is a wonderful sound. It's also perfect for adding a wistful quality to the lyrics.

In addition, I found myself mesmerised by Janice's harmony. Given the melody you composed, I can't imagine that it would have been easy homing in on a suitable harmony line. What Janice has devised is exceptional. I found myself alternating between focusing on your melody and Janice's counter melody. "Magical" was a word that popped into my head then I first heard the chorus.

I don't know how you do it.... time after time after time you write, arrange, sing and produce superb quality music.

All the best,
Noel

Great song you dedicated to Savannah.
Excellent work as usual

Sergio
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/06/17 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Wow Floyd.

It doesn't seem to matter what music genre you turn to, you never do anything except master it.

The lyrics, the rhyming technique, the harmony, the absolutely everything makes this another masterpiece.

Trev

smile - Trev = always pleased to have you drop by for a listen...

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Pretty intro and love the waltz. Such pretty vocal and harmonies with wonderful imagery. Great job!

Thanks, Josie...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/07/17 08:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
SWEEEEEET!!! As seductive as Savannah apparently is. Beautiful poetic lyrics and a melody you could just wash around in for an hour. The band is perfectly conducted. Love that decorative piano and the expressive guitar. It doesn't get much better than this. GREAT one Floyd!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - You always write such nice reviews! Brought a smile... smile
Wow!!!

love the chorus

love the vocal blend

super write

Kenny

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Peter
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Rob

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Charlie

Thanks Y’all for commenting on the harmony. It was wonderful to play a small part in floyd’s beautiful production.

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/08/17 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Mr. Jane...

I know what you were doing in Savannah last night -- you were composing another one of your sensual and sweet songs!

Every single time I listen to one of your songs, my interest is usually drawn first to the soft, flickering flame of your lyrics. If you get any better at that, soon you won't need to compose music for them, because all the music anybody will need to hear will be contained within, and then released through the melody and rhythm inherent in your verses:

"...she's been begging with a Florida postmark..." (That one's particularly imaginative in its imagery and is freighted with warmth and emotion.)

As impressionistic as memories your lyrics are, Mr. Jane. On this particular song your singing voice is of the kind that holds our attention the more quiet it becomes. Talk about "sweet whispers in her ear"!

And last, but certainly not least, Ms. Merritt's vocals are like spirits that embody all of the nostalgia the song conjures up.

I counted eleven (11) Real Tracks/MIDI super tracks in your song, but it sounds like there were no more than three, or four. That's how initimate the feel of the song is. However you pulled that off in technical terms, in the end it simply sounds like magic.

LOREN

Loren - I truly appreciate that delightful review! Thanks for all of that..
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/08/17 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
"Begging with a Florida postmark". just beautiful Floyd.

Thanks for stopping by, Joanne.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Good one Floyd! That chorus is really strong with great chord structure! You epitomize all the qualities of a great singer/songwriter and should be an inspiration to anyone using BIAB for their production! I'm a fixin' to use some of that inspiration to work on a new one! Take care, Torrey

Thanks, Torrey. Your new one is amazing...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/09/17 10:51 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

Very beautiful country waltz!
Sweet vocals and harmonies.
Very gorgeous. Splendid collaboration.
The piano appearing in the second half of the song is also very nice.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - thanks for the nice review - and for your continued support..

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Floyd,

I won't go on and on. No need.

This is just flat out gorgeous.

Ahhh, no...please do...go on and on and on... smile

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Its all been said so all I can add is this is as sweet as a Georgia peach!

This is a keeper.

Thanks, Mario...
Posted By: 90 dB Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/09/17 11:26 AM
Late on this one. Excellent stuff.

Regards,

Lefty
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/10/17 11:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

This is stunning... a really fine listen.

You've written so many excellent melodies over the years but, for some reason, this one really resonated with me tonight. Having a melody spotlighting major sevenths and ninths (to name only two of a few things I heard) is a wonderful sound. It's also perfect for adding a wistful quality to the lyrics.

In addition, I found myself mesmerised by Janice's harmony. Given the melody you composed, I can't imagine that it would have been easy homing in on a suitable harmony line. What Janice has devised is exceptional. I found myself alternating between focusing on your melody and Janice's counter melody. "Magical" was a word that popped into my head then I first heard the chorus.

I don't know how you do it.... time after time after time you write, arrange, sing and produce superb quality music.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks, Noel. I often think I could spend more time than I do working on melodies... I "grew up" as more of a "word guy" - so it is nice to have a melody noted now and again.

Janice has a knack for adding Magic to everything she touches... smile

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great song you dedicated to Savannah.
Excellent work as usual

Sergio

Thanks, Sergio...

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Late on this one. Excellent stuff.

Regards,

Lefty

Really appreciate you dropping in for a listen and a note, Lefty...
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

Beautiful.

Robert

Thank you Robert...we've been blessed with that blend since our first collaboration.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thank you!

Janice

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Wow Floyd.

Trev

Thanks for mentioning the harmony!

Originally Posted By: Sundance

Thank you Josie and yes I love a waltz also.

Janice

Originally Posted By: bluage
Mr. Jane...

LOREN

Loren, that was very sweet of you to say that! I sincerely appreciate it.

Janice
Posted By: Biglad Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/11/17 10:25 AM
Another one for the car cd collection,a great track where everything just sits so nice together.once again Janice brings her little bit of magic to the song.well done Floyd ,Janice and everyone involed.the melody was sublime
thanks for sharing brad
Posted By: guitar1 Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/14/17 04:44 PM
I think this is my new favorite. Beautiful song, beautiful job.
Posted By: rayc Re: (What Am I Doing) In Savannah Tonight - 10/15/17 09:26 AM
Wonderful, yep, wonderful.
Thanks y'all for mentioning my contribution to floyd's wonderful write and production. It was a pleasure!

Janice

This is a floyd tune, one of many, that I enjoyed from the first listen...and then I studied the lyric after which I played it multiple times studying the mix. This is simply a clinic on how to write and produce.

Bud
© PG Music Forums