PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc Shakesides Dream - 10/06/17 11:07 PM
Shakesides Dream

One of my favourite local walks goes along the shore past an old boarded up house.The place looks out on a salmon stream and salt marshes teaming with birds.
Being a newcomer to the area it took me a while to find out that the house is under a demolition order. Built by Hamilton Mack Laing, a well known artist, ornithologist and writer, who donated the house and considerable funds to our town in order to create a natural history museum, a succession of local governments reneged on the agreement and things are not looking good.
I`ll send this song to the folks trying to save the house.

Style is _STOMPIN.STY (Stompin' Train Indie Folk)

RealTracks in style: ~~2478:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 1295:Banjo, Rhythm, ModernCountrySync Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: ~598:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
RealTracks in style: ~~618:Fiddle, Background Allis Ev 120
Loop in Song: House-Techno-Trance\House - crunchy_120_b drums ev16.wav

Shakesides Dream

this old house is a story
a good man`s life in 3D
60 years of gales and gardens
owl-eyed windows have seen
when the floorboards start creaking
his rocking chair will tell the tale
of birds and work and wonder
at the end of Mack Laing`s trail

he rode across the prairie
on his infernal machine
set his ready-cut kit house
where salt grass meets the sea
six weeks to split the shakes every nail
hammered by the same hand
drew the falcon and the robin
wrote the soul of this land

don`t take Shakesides dream
don`t put its treasure
in a dumpster with the beams
let our children lean from the windows
watching salmon swim upstream
please don`t take Shakesides dream

can you hear the kids come laughing
through the woods down the creek
asking whats inside the old house
still has so much to teach
how to be good for something
a trust is not for sale
and the birds the work the wonder
at the end of Mack Laing`s trail

don`t take Shakesides dream
don`t put its treasure
in a dumpster with the beams
let our children lean from the windows
watching salmon swim upstream
please don`t take Shakesides dream

© Robert Cordrey Sept.2017
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/07/17 01:48 PM
Great work on this, Robert! I really liked the groove of this, and I *loved* the lyrics here. They tell a story perfectly, and really got my imagination going. I can imagine in my head everything you're singing.

Thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/07/17 02:16 PM
Robert,

That practically defines "folk music" - doing just what folk music should do - tell a story that needs telling...

In fact, this seems like a recently discovered "lost" Pete Seeger song - everything about it... the write, the instrumentation, the vocal...

Nice mix.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/07/17 02:26 PM
Loved this Robert. Very cool lyric and background story. Super vocal and harmonies. I just love folk music and and to quote Floyd. "That practically defines "folk music"". Well done
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/07/17 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Great work on this, Robert! I really liked the groove of this, and I *loved* the lyrics here. They tell a story perfectly, and really got my imagination going. I can imagine in my head everything you're singing.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

Deryk,

I`m glad the lyrics make this local story understandable for others - thank you for your listen and comments!

Robert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

That practically defines "folk music" - doing just what folk music should do - tell a story that needs telling...

In fact, this seems like a recently discovered "lost" Pete Seeger song - everything about it... the write, the instrumentation, the vocal...

Nice mix.

fj

Thanks for that , Floyd!
I grew up listening more to those that came after Pete Seeger, but I remember the conviction of his singing well... so you`ve made my day with your very kind comments.

Robert
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/08/17 12:34 AM
very well written

nice vocals, flows along and paints great images

nice choice of instruments

enjoyed the listen

Kenny
Posted By: Al-David Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/08/17 01:38 AM
HI Robert,

Great storytelling! It took me a long time to appreciate good folk music. I was in my late thirties before I embraced it. Glad I did! I'll be 71 on my next birthday.

Loved it! Your vocal is so soothing and tells the story so convincingly. SOunds like a pretty place you live! Wonderful song and performance!

Alan
Posted By: lambada Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/08/17 01:49 AM
I enjoyed this. A very interesting and sad story.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/08/17 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this Robert. Very cool lyric and background story. Super vocal and harmonies. I just love folk music and and to quote Floyd. "That practically defines "folk music"". Well done

Thanks Scott,
I think this is my first protest song - so I guess it had to be folk! Its not a natural theme for me so I tried to put the "message" in an enjoyable package. I`m glad you liked this.

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/08/17 08:22 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
very well written

nice vocals, flows along and paints great images

nice choice of instruments

enjoyed the listen

Kenny

Kenny,
Your listen and support are appreciated!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Al-David
HI Robert,

Great storytelling! It took me a long time to appreciate good folk music. I was in my late thirties before I embraced it. Glad I did! I'll be 71 on my next birthday.

Loved it! Your vocal is so soothing and tells the story so convincingly. SOunds like a pretty place you live! Wonderful song and performance!

Alan

Alan,

Thanks very much for your listen and positive comments.
Yes, this part of B.C. is great- "a very birdy place" was one of the things that drew Mr Laing up here in the 1920`s and thankfully its still mostly unspoilt.

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/08/17 09:20 PM
A noble effort on your part Robert the words in the verses should speak to somebody involved in this effort! You have crafted another wonderful lyric here with a great backtrack! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/09/17 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: lambada
I enjoyed this. A very interesting and sad story.

I`m glad you enjoyed this. The good people opposing local council are still trying to stop the dozers, so its not over yet!

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
A noble effort on your part Robert the words in the verses should speak to somebody involved in this effort! You have crafted another wonderful lyric here with a great backtrack! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey,
I`m not much of a protester, but since this came to me while woods wandering I thought it should at least be recorded and added to the heritage preservation pot.

Robert
Posted By: dani48 Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/09/17 09:24 PM
Hi, Robert !

I like this tune of yours
very much ! Lyrics and performance
are just great ! simply wonderful, Robert !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/11/17 11:31 PM
That`s very kind,thank you, Dani!

Robert
Posted By: RnAM Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/14/17 05:54 PM
Definitely great work on this Robert!
And yes, you're really telling a story here.
Cool and very cool vocals too.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/16/17 11:05 AM
Rob & Anne-Marie,
Thank you for your listen and positive comments!

Robert
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/16/17 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

Nice mix.

fj

Agreed!! Beautifully done. A wonderful authentic and heartfelt quality. A lot of lines that are gems. Wonderful work Robert!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/17/17 03:22 AM
Hello, Robert

Very nice vocal and melody!
Your vocal is really fitted to this type of song.
I agree with floyd, that practically defines "folk music" - doing just what folk music should do - tell a story that needs telling...
You are using yourself very well in this song.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/17/17 11:37 AM
We have similar situations in our historic town...unfortunately, unlike you, I do not possess the poetic story telling skills necessary to write such a song.

Your ability to to take the listener on a "imagery journey" never fails to disappoint.

The vocal is perfect for this...it's heartfelt but not overly angst ridden. Just the right balance to keep the listener engaged and wanting to listen more.

And your choice of RT's and the production well support all of the above.

Yep, we like it smile

J&B

Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/17/17 10:42 PM
Thanks for the kind review, Greg!

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/17/17 10:48 PM
Hi Shigeki,
Yes, this kind of song is familiar territory for me- in fact I`m sure the tune would fit many songs I heard around the campfire.
Thanks for your listen and comments.

Robert
Posted By: rayc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/18/17 08:43 AM
The beginning reminded me of very early Harry Nilsson.
A very well balanced arrangement - excellent mix.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 10/18/17 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We have similar situations in our historic town...unfortunately, unlike you, I do not possess the poetic story telling skills necessary to write such a song.

Your ability to to take the listener on a "imagery journey" never fails to disappoint.

The vocal is perfect for this...it's heartfelt but not overly angst ridden. Just the right balance to keep the listener engaged and wanting to listen more.

And your choice of RT's and the production well support all of the above.

Yep, we like it smile

J&B

Well Bud, I happen to know you`ve done way more to help save historic places in your community than I`ll ever do here.
So if this struck the right balance with you then I`m on message and appreciate your comments.
btw the local heritage society seems to be picking the song up...maybe I`ll be joining a protest march for the first time!

Robert

Originally Posted By: rayc
The beginning reminded me of very early Harry Nilsson.
A very well balanced arrangement - excellent mix.

Thanks for your listen, Ray!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Shakesides Dream - 11/07/17 12:44 AM
Hi Robert,

My apologies... after my private messages to you recently, I completely forgot that I hadn't written anything publicly about 'Shakesides Dream'.

You've done a splendid job getting this story into music. I really hope that it makes a difference with the conservation people. Your ability with words, and the way you use them to conjure vivid imagery, always leaves me with feelings of admiration.

Once again, I enjoyed travelling along with this song!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shakesides Dream - 11/07/17 05:34 PM
Noel,
I appreciate your kind words - and your pm help on this song has given me practical tools to work with in future.
You are a good teacher!
btw- the song has been picked up by various groups working to save the house, so its out there playing its part.

Robert
© PG Music Forums