PG Music Home
Posted By: Samuel Davis Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 03:59 AM
[Link no longer valid]

This song was inspired by another forum conversation about wether BIAB can create modern sounding music. I created this to prove that it is possible with the right combination of real tracks, MIDI and VST instuments. I used 3 real tracks on this song for bass, acoustic guitar and resonator guitar. I exported those to my primary DAW (Cubase). I also exported the MIDI drum track from BIAB to use with Groove Agent (a VST Drum instrument). I then added 3 diferent synths using Xpand 2. After recording vocals I doubled the track twice and added different reverb effects to each one before cutting and mixing together to get different effect in the verse and chorus sections.

Real Tracs Used
388 Bass, Electric, Metal
362 Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming
408 Guitar, Resonator, Background

Tempo 94 bpm
Key of Em

Lyrics:

Just another lonely night on the streets of Montgomery
I can still taste your kiss. Oh, It tastes as sweet as honey.
But the way out left me here, well you know it ain’t that funny.

All our old familiar friends, they turn away when I walk by.
Don’t want to talk to me. Can’t even look me in the eyes.
Act like I’m the one to blame. They must have bought into your lies.

Oh it’s a lonely, lonely, lonely night tonight.
And you’re the only one that’s on my mind.
Even though you’ve done me wrong your always on my mind.

Thinking back it’s clearer now, you know you always were quite cunning
Telling all your little lies, the way you played me was quite stunning.
Now your gone and something’s telling me that I should have seen it coming

Oh it’s a lonely, lonely, lonely night tonight.
And you’re the only one that’s on my mind.
Even though you’ve done me wrong your always on my mind.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 04:06 AM
Samuel, you certainly delivered what you intended to achieve.

The choice of a minor key absolutely suits the song, and the driving beat throughout gives the perfect edge.

All wrapped up with a fantastic vocal.

The lyrics shine, and especially the chorus.

Yes, you have achieved. This is extremely high quality.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 04:12 AM
Hey Samual,

Great Job!!!

This is as commercial as what's on contemporary country radio. That was quite a process you went through. But holy smokes ... what a result! Great tracks and a fantastic lyric. Your vocal shines - marvelous. The arrangement is stellar and leads the way with a vibrant mix.

Should be on country radio!

Congrats on a job well done.

Alan

PS: Five minutes is long for a country song but I didn't even notice - sad when it ended.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 04:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Samual,

Great Job!!!

This is as commercial as what's on contemporary country radio. That was quite a process you went through. But holy smokes ... what a result! Great tracks and a fantastic lyric. Your vocal shines - marvelous. The arrangement is stellar and leads the way with a vibrant mix.

Alan

PS: Five minutes is long for a country song but I didn't even notice - sad when it ended.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes it was a bit of a process and that's what we had been discussing in the other forum. To get a really modern sound you cant just rely on BIAB's real tracks. You have to mix it with synths and electronic drum kits to get that modern pop feel. I actually enjoyed the pocess and look forward to doing more traks like this.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 04:42 AM
Hey Samuel. Your efforts really paid off with this one.
Very modern sounding and well mixed.
Good work.
Rob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 04:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Samual,

Great Job!!!

Alan

Thank you for the kind words. Yes it was a bit of a process and that's what we had been discussing in the other forum. To get a really modern sound you cant just rely on BIAB's real tracks. You have to mix it with synths and electronic drum kits to get that modern pop feel. I actually enjoyed the pocess and look forward to doing more traks like this.

Hope you do some more ... looking forward to it!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 09:28 AM
Hi Samuel
This is great. Sounds like James Blunt. Definitely modern in my book. Well done.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 12:19 PM
Man I love this.

You have proved your point!!!

smile

Great job.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 12:50 PM
I like this a lot. Sparce, Light, Less-is-more. And great vocal tone.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 02:00 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Man I love this.

You have proved your point!!!

smile

Great job.

Thanks David. Glad you started that other forum tread. It's really inspired me.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I like this a lot. Sparce, Light, Less-is-more. And great vocal tone.

Yes sometimes less is more. I might experiment with addins some sparse electric guitar to it but it holds its own as is.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Yes sometimes less is more. I might experiment with addins some sparse electric guitar to it....

Don't do it! That is a trap all us BIABers fall into. So many musicians at our beckon call, that we tend to try to get everyone on the stage. The first think I noticed in arrangement was

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Sparce, Light, Less-is-more.

That made the piece very distinctive to my ear. I liked it just the way it was. grin
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 04:20 PM
Nice song and a great effort however, I'm going to differ from the crowd a bit and say the driving force behind the modern pop country vibe of this song is your vocals and not the music.

The music you produced is a good foundational starting point and I really enjoy your vocals but I hear room for some tweaks to blur the lines between outlaw singer doing Florida Georgia Line material.

I'm definitely in the minority opinion here and that's ok. You're batting close to 1,000 on the forum so my opinion is irrelevant and I've certainly been wrong before. I did enjoy my listen and I really respect your vocals. You're an awesome singer.

Charlie
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Nice song and a great effort however, I'm going to differ from the crowd a bit and say the driving force behind the modern pop country vibe of this song is your vocals and not the music.

The music you produced is a good foundational starting point and I really enjoy your vocals but I hear room for some tweaks to blur the lines between outlaw singer doing Florida Georgia Line material.

I'm definitely in the minority opinion here and that's ok. You're batting close to 1,000 on the forum so my opinion is irrelevant and I've certainly been wrong before. I did enjoy my listen and I really respect your vocals. You're an awesome singer.

Charlie

Thanks for listening Charlie. I do get a lot of my influence from the older outlaw style country. I'm actually working on an entire album right now of more traditional material. Even though I do enjoy Florida Georgia line and some of the other pop country I prefer the old school sounding country and I'm sure that it shows through in my songs. In todays music scene that's ok though. Mashing styles together to make something different sounding can help set you apart from the crowd.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 09:01 PM
Samuel, nice big clean sound here! Great tune, great production! Don't ever listen to the naysayers!! If enough time and effort is put into the project, just about anything can be created using BIAB. Sometimes it requires partnering with other programs to make it happen, but that's the great thing about BIAB. You prove it here! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/22/17 10:17 PM
Went back for a second listen. And I have to say, you have made such a strong strong case here man for all we discussed on that thread about using BIAB to HELP with the modern sound if you are willing to work a little.

But I liked it when it was still just a baby!!

smile
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/23/17 01:07 AM
lol that's funny David. I know what your saying though. Even at 32 bars (or whatever it was) it still had a good sound and a nice groove.
Posted By: rayc Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/23/17 02:50 AM
Pretty cool stuff. I'd like a little more bass guitar and a little less bass drum but I get what you're going for.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/23/17 10:53 AM
Sammy,

This is excellent!

A truly "modern" sound. Really well put together. Just the right touch of all the elements needed to create "the sound". The BEAT, the repetitive synth, the background synth strings - and the all important "traditional" (dobro) adding the right flavor.

The write "works", too - has the right type "flow" to it. With enough story to give it the interest it needs. Well done.

Your vocal on this is super. REALLY good. Your best so far, I think. And this is my favorite of the things I've heard from you. It sounds "current" without sounding derivative.

I respect Charlie's take on "current Country", but I think this does a good job of "hitting the mark". Not the FGL style, but certainly the style of the "gruffer" current group of Country artists.

You will LOVE the new Atmospheric Pedal Steel tracks. They are GREAT for these type productions...

GREAT job on this. Hope you keep going in this direction...

floyd
Posted By: RnAM Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/23/17 03:29 PM
Whow, those vocals are definitely something else!
Impressive, this song immediately reminded me of the most emotional song I know Flame trees by Cold Chisel

So.... By all means keep them songs coming!

Rob
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/23/17 03:41 PM
Great song

very nice mix with a strong very solid vocal

hook reminds me of Mellencamp

another very cool song, keep em' comin'

Kenny
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/23/17 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Sammy,

This is excellent!

A truly "modern" sound. Really well put together. Just the right touch of all the elements needed to create "the sound". The BEAT, the repetitive synth, the background synth strings - and the all important "traditional" (dobro) adding the right flavor.

Your vocal on this is super. REALLY good. Your best so far, I think. And this is my favorite of the things I've heard from you. It sounds "current" without sounding derivative.

I respect Charlie's take on "current Country", but I think this does a good job of "hitting the mark". Not the FGL style, but certainly the style of the "gruffer" current group of Country artists.

floyd

" I hear room for some tweaks to blur the lines between outlaw singer doing Florida Georgia Line material. "

Being the single 'this ain't modern country' voice I first want to repeat that I think this is an excellent attempt. The vocals, music and lyrics are as Floyd notes, "Just the right touch of all the elements needed to create "the sound". The BEAT, the repetitive synth, the background synth strings - and the all important "traditional" (dobro) adding the right flavor." It has the elements but also the exception it doesn't create 'The Sound'..

Here's why I believe that. It's close and maybe could find acceptance as a demo but if a major artist were to record this song, I believe it would sound radically different in many small ways. I think a distinctive intro would be added and there would be a dramatic shift to accentuate when the chorus comes even though the chord progression remains the same. I think the song would be shortened and a bridge added.

None of that makes this a bad song but they are the type of things that keeps it from being a commercial country hit.

Reviewing the posts for members stating they hear various artist styles, I've seen James Blunt, Mellencamp and Cold Chisel.... Not a single country artist mentioned...

This is presented as modern pop country. Samuel is a top tier country singer....

My thought is if you want to write a country hit, then your song should sound like the songs and artists that have top country hits. The top ten chart should be your hunting field.

I went to the website "A Taste of Country" and looked at their September 2017 Top 40 songs. Their song chart positions are based on Billboard. Here is the top Ten:

10. Lanco, “Greatest Love Story” - BIGGEST JUMP, UP 24 SPOTS!
9. Dustin Lynch, “Small Town Boy”
8. Brothers Osborne, “It Ain’t My Fault”
7. Old Dominion, “No Such Thing as a Broken Heart”
6. Luke Combs, “When It Rains It Pours”
5. Thomas Rhett, “Unforgettable”
4. Jon Pardi, “Heartache on the Dance Floor”
3. Lady Antebellum, “You Look Good”
2. Kane Brown (Feat. Lauren Alaina), “What Ifs”
1. Midland, “Drinkin’ Problem”

I did laugh at number 1 being a song that could have been a number 1 hit for Alabama twenty five years ago. While "A Taste of Country's" Number 1 takes a bite out of this whole conversation trying to define 'modern', the other nine are what current radio sounds like.

Listening to these songs you hear intros that differ from the verse and the songs usually ramp up big for the choruses. There is a lot of staggered instruments coming in and out and the music, even the sparse verses have a dramatic shift into a chorus.

These are nothing but tweaks added to a strong foundation, good lyrics and killer vocals.

( I have to admit to downloading Samuel's 1:37 early rendition of this music from the other thread and using it, in its entirety, as a loop for my own experimental song. I ran it through the ACW for the chord chart and using rests and adding additional instruments to create a true intro,short verse, chorus and outro. I added an additional bassline, several percussion instruments including a shaker panned right where this version features the strumming acoustic. I added an electric rhythm guitar, two lead guitars alternating with each other, a mandolin/ acoustic guitar lead combo for the intro. Added a fiddle and finally outro with a banjo from three different banjo soloist RealTracks... in about ten minutes, all within BIAB solely as an experiment. The stereo loop of Samuel's original track was the foundation track to achieving a recognizable intro, verse, two choruses and short outro with that original track. )

Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Sammy,

This is excellent!

The write "works", too - has the right type "flow" to it. With enough story to give it the interest it needs. Well done.

You will LOVE the new Atmospheric Pedal Steel tracks. They are GREAT for these type productions...

GREAT job on this. Hope you keep going in this direction...

floyd

I always appreciate your comments Floyd. I've started working on another tune using the same formula that sounds like it could be a FGL or Blake Shelton tune. Going to keep experimenting in this direction and see what i can come up with. I look forward to getting the full version of BIAB mext year amd experimenting with the wide variety of real tracks I'll have at my disposal then. Watch out world lol
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 12:43 AM

" I hear room for some tweaks to blur the lines between outlaw singer doing Florida Georgia Line material. "

Being the single 'this ain't modern country' voice I first want to repeat that I think this is an excellent attempt. The vocals, music and lyrics are as Floyd notes, "Just the right touch of all the elements needed to create "the sound". The BEAT, the repetitive synth, the background synth strings - and the all important "traditional" (dobro) adding the right flavor." It has the elements but also the exception it doesn't create 'The Sound'..

Here's why I believe that. It's close and maybe could find acceptance as a demo but if a major artist were to record this song, I believe it would sound radically different in many small ways. I think a distinctive intro would be added and there would be a dramatic shift to accentuate when the chorus comes even though the chord progression remains the same. I think the song would be shortened and a bridge added.

None of that makes this a bad song but they are the type of things that keeps it from being a commercial country hit.

Reviewing the posts for members stating they hear various artist styles, I've seen James Blunt, Mellencamp and Cold Chisel.... Not a single country artist mentioned...

This is presented as modern pop country. Samuel is a top tier country singer....

My thought is if you want to write a country hit, then your song should sound like the songs and artists that have top country hits. The top ten chart should be your hunting field.

I went to the website "A Taste of Country" and looked at their September 2017 Top 40 songs. Their song chart positions are based on Billboard. Here is the top Ten:

10. Lanco, “Greatest Love Story” - BIGGEST JUMP, UP 24 SPOTS!
9. Dustin Lynch, “Small Town Boy”
8. Brothers Osborne, “It Ain’t My Fault”
7. Old Dominion, “No Such Thing as a Broken Heart”
6. Luke Combs, “When It Rains It Pours”
5. Thomas Rhett, “Unforgettable”
4. Jon Pardi, “Heartache on the Dance Floor”
3. Lady Antebellum, “You Look Good”
2. Kane Brown (Feat. Lauren Alaina), “What Ifs”
1. Midland, “Drinkin’ Problem”

I did laugh at number 1 being a song that could have been a number 1 hit for Alabama twenty five years ago. While "A Taste of Country's" Number 1 takes a bite out of this whole conversation trying to define 'modern', the other nine are what current radio sounds like.

Listening to these songs you hear intros that differ from the verse and the songs usually ramp up big for the choruses. There is a lot of staggered instruments coming in and out and the music, even the sparse verses have a dramatic shift into a chorus.

These are nothing but tweaks added to a strong foundation, good lyrics and killer vocals.

( I have to admit to downloading Samuel's 1:37 early rendition of this music from the other thread and using it, in its entirety, as a loop for my own experimental song. I ran it through the ACW for the chord chart and using rests and adding additional instruments to create a true intro,short verse, chorus and outro. I added an additional bassline, several percussion instruments including a shaker panned right where this version features the strumming acoustic. I added an electric rhythm guitar, two lead guitars alternating with each other, a mandolin/ acoustic guitar lead combo for the intro. Added a fiddle and finally outro with a banjo from three different banjo soloist RealTracks... in about ten minutes, all within BIAB solely as an experiment. The stereo loop of Samuel's original track was the foundation track to achieving a recognizable intro, verse, two choruses and short outro with that original track. )

Charlie, I hear what you are saying. The current country charts are very heavily pop influenced right now. Some of it so much that it's sickening. However as you pointed out with " Drinkin Problem" and I would add in "When It Rains It Pours" there is also a push back happening to more traditional sounding country going on. Just look at the music of Chis Stapleton, one of this year's top artists. There is certainly nothing pop about his music and yet he rose to the top it seem like overnight.

I giess my point is that there is room for many variations of country music in todays market. What may sound like pop may not be that to another.

On another note I would love to hear the arangement you did with the original loop. Feel free to share it here or message me.

Thanks.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 01:40 AM
Hi Samuel. You are totally correct about the variety of current modern country and understand I'm not advocating you be anything other than who you are. For me, this is a discussion of music style and production and nothing personal. You just happened to post a song ripe for analysis. I have been a fan of you since you began posting. I've attempted to critique for discussion, not criticise for content. People hear a lot of The Grateful Dead in my compositions and I've never listened to a song completely through to the end by them. I updated an old tune thinking it was quite the modern tune and it missed that mark by a mile. I guess it's all subjective and we filter what we hear by what we've always heard. Just let me assure you, I'm a true fan and will always critique for discussion and not criticise the content or your purpose in your song.

Regarding using your original composition as a loop, I did as I always do with my experiments and discarded the sgu file and downloaded audio from my computer after my 'experimenting' but remembered I had printed a copy of the mix to a flash drive to listen on my truck radio to hear my mix on something other than just headphones. So I have uploaded the wma file to SoundCloud.

Samuel Davis Rendered Instrumental Track

I think stem is a better word for your track in my render than loop because in my version I used your track in its entirety rather than sample it and make an acid loop.

I also did not move my tracks to a DAW for any further processing, such as eq, panning, volume envelopes or add any effects. I just generated additional instruments to play over your stem.

It's a busy track and because I did not alter your chord chart other than to place rests so I could distinguish with my instruments playing holds. Using holds and changing instruments is how I marked the structure of the song between intro (after 4 bars) You can definitely hear the ac guitar soloist and mandolin end at the rest and then the fiddle come in. My track is completely done within BIAB on a single generation and I abandoned any further experimentation with it when I saw you had produced a song from the original snippet. I planned to make it into an actual acid loop and completely change the structure into the way I explained above.

Charlie
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 02:52 AM
This is a very interestingly by thread. Thanks guys
Posted By: LPman Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 05:26 AM
Yup! Charlie is right... this is good... your vocals nailed it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 11:11 AM
"The BEAT, the repetitive synth, the background synth strings - and the all important "traditional" (dobro) adding the right flavor."

"It sounds "current" without sounding derivative."

We feel that floyd's two statements above well sum up our feelings. Having listened to every variant of country music offered since the 60's I admit to being a bit slow getting on the modern train...but it's slowly happening. Andy anything that further drives nails in the bro country coffin is fine with me smile

What really stands out on our monitor is the great mix and vocals. And we are fans of fairly minimalist productions that breathe with a little headroom left and sound like a live band could have done it.

Kudos on a fine production!
J&B

PS Thanks for including the detailed production info. PG Music asks that folks do that but few choose to.
Wow - this is incredible, Samuel! I loved every element of this - I loved the aggressive thump of the drum rhythm here, and also how sincere and emotional the vocal delivery is. The lyrics tell a story too, which I really enjoyed. Every part of this tune really just hit me in the soul.

Great work, and thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 02:37 PM

Samuel Davis Rendered Instrumental Track

I think stem is a better word for your track in my render than loop because in my version I used your track in its entirety rather than sample it and make an acid loop.

I also did not move my tracks to a DAW for any further processing, such as eq, panning, volume envelopes or add any effects. I just generated additional instruments to play over your stem.

It's a busy track and because I did not alter your chord chart other than to place rests so I could distinguish with my instruments playing holds. Using holds and changing instruments is how I marked the structure of the song between intro (after 4 bars) You can definitely hear the ac guitar soloist and mandolin end at the rest and then the fiddle come in. My track is completely done within BIAB on a single generation and I abandoned any further experimentation with it when I saw you had produced a song from the original snippet. I planned to make it into an actual acid loop and completely change the structure into the way I explained above.

Charlie

Interesting take on this. I like the shaker. That may be a good addition to the chorus in my song to give it more drive. The fiddle also sounds nice but wish i could hear it better.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 02:38 PM
Originally Posted By: LPman
Yup! Charlie is right... this is good... your vocals nailed it.

Thanks LPman.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"The BEAT, the repetitive synth, the background synth strings - and the all important "traditional" (dobro) adding the right flavor."

"It sounds "current" without sounding derivative."

We feel that floyd's two statements above well sum up our feelings. Having listened to every variant of country music offered since the 60's I admit to being a bit slow getting on the modern train...but it's slowly happening. Andy anything that further drives nails in the bro country coffin is fine with me smile

What really stands out on our monitor is the great mix and vocals. And we are fans of fairly minimalist productions that breathe with a little headroom left and sound like a live band could have done it.

Kudos on a fine production!
J&B

PS Thanks for including the detailed production info. PG Music asks that folks do that but few choose to.

Thanks for listening Janice & Bud. I was extreamly slow to warm up to pop country till a few years ago. I like traditional outlaw country most of all but the new wave of country mixed with rock and pop aspects has grown on me. Now I enjoy mixing styles and seeing what new sounds I can come up with.

Thanks for listening and your feedback.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 10/24/17 10:53 PM
< Interesting take on this. I like the shaker. That may be a good addition to the chorus in my song to give it more drive. The fiddle also sounds nice but wish i could hear it better. >

Yes. I quit working on the project when you posted that you had created a complete song from the snippet. I regret that I might have stopped to soon and not really attempted a mix. All of the instruments occupy the same frequency range and the mix needed to have more panning and eq to give each instrument space.

I stopped at a point just prior to making a acid sample from your track that I could have into a loop and that would have allowed me to restructure the song form, change the chord chart, key and tempo and your work product as a loop could have been the foundation for a song completely unique from your project. A lot was lost in the overall track due to frequencies from various instruments overlapping.

Charlie
There's not much I can say that hasn't already been extensively covered by everyone else already, but I just wanted you to know that I really enjoyed listening to this and you definitely achieved what you set out to do, I think.

Fantastic stuff!
Posted By: Stash Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 11/17/17 01:04 PM
Well crafted melody and lyrics + outstanding BIAB production. Congratulations and best regards on you musical journey. You've opened my ears and eyes as someone new to BIAB possibilities.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 11/28/17 10:33 PM
Hello Samuel Davis, Thank you for sharing this with us! I really enjoyed the overall vibe of this song. Great choices for the instrumentation too. Well done! smile
Posted By: RichMac Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 11/28/17 11:59 PM
Great vocal and delivery.
Strong melody and sparse backing enhances the vocals.
Cheers.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 11/30/17 04:44 PM
Booya back to you! Nailed it. Only trouble is I like this better than most of the stuff I hear on the radio.
Posted By: Jon Thomas Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 12/01/17 05:28 AM
Great song. I especially enjoyed the vocals and the production. Fantastic job!!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 12/02/17 01:22 AM
I see this song has created a lot of genre discussion. Other than my golden era (1965-80 or so), I am not the one to comment on this BUT I will say "GREAT SONG" to my ears!! Really love the sincere longing and passion. Sounds great to me Samuel!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) - 12/02/17 10:34 PM
I'm not much into commenting lately. I never know when people are posting to get digital high fives verses looking to improve. That can be dangerous territory when commenting. wink That being said, you would surely get an enthusiastic high five from me. It's well deserved.

As far as critique/advice, that's where I will step back. I do tend to side with Charlie on this though. You've got the ingredients for the recipe, but need to tweak the recipe just a bit. It's a good recipe, don't get me wrong here.

That hook at the chorus is killer and sung really well. The over all feel is the type of mood I'm really drawn to in a song. I never know why, but I know I really like it. Well done!

Keep 'em coming. I'm more excited than you can imagine to start hearing more ventures into this style/genre.

BTW, what thread prompted you to take things in this direction?

In case it got lost in my babbling, I like your song! smile
© PG Music Forums