PG Music Home
Quiet Desperation - video
Quiet Desperation - audio

Hard to believe it's been two months since our last J&B post but for better or worse here we go.

Recently David Snyder reviewed a floyd jane song and wrote in part: "Another great version of the subtly gut-wrenching, quietly understated reminder that so many human beings as Thoreau said 'lead lives of quiet desperation.'"  I read Thoreau's Walden decades ago but had not thought of that quote in years. Reflecting on the people all around us living on the margin led to this attempt at a lyric to express my feelings. Production wise we were hoping for a John Mellencamp groove.

Thanks to:

- Kenny for the vocals and letting his lead guitar “dance with the fiddle;”
- David for his inspiring quote;
- floyd jane for putting the golden ears on the mix and counsel;
- Noel for early on bridge structure advice; and,
- as always to PG Music for enabling fun and fellowship.

For the technically inclined:

Janice: lead and harmony vocals / Rodes NT1 > Scarlett 212 > Logic Pro X / Nectar 2
The verse and chorus lead vocal track was duplicated with heavy compression added to the double which was mixed under the original. A second track was sung to double the bridge.

Kenny: lead guitar and harmony vocals / processing via whatever he does

Drums 1 RD N’ville Even8ths / Neutron / 140 EMT reverb sim / Ozone Imager
Drums 2 - additional snare/cymbal tracks from RD file / Neutron / 140 EMT reverb sim / Ozone Imager

Bass RT 684 Electric PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120 / Neutron

Fiddle RT 1753 Background Pop8ths Ev 110 (comped from multiple generations) / Logic Pro X overdrive sim / Neutron / 140 EMT reverb sim (held chords created from same RT for chorus)

Guitar RT 998 ElectricHardRockLACrispSync Ev 120 Direct Input / Logic Pro X amp-speaker-mic sim / Neutron
(held chords created from same RT for chorus)

Guitar RT693 Acoustic AcRockBright Ev 120 / Neutron / 140 EMT reverb sim

Mixed in Logic Pro X / Mastered via Ozone 7 Advanced

Quiet Desperation
© 2017
Janice: music Bud: words

she drives a 20 year old Chevrolet
and lives in a 30 year old single wide
two grown kids who never found their way
reminders of a marriage that slowly died

she's one more of the long forgotten
just some fodder for the politicians
never read a single page of Walden
but she knows her own quiet desperation

too many hard years ’n not enough play
there's a wardrobe that no longer fits her
she dreams of when the guys would say
why, honey, you're pretty as a picture

she's one more of the long forgotten
just some fodder for the politicians
never read a single page of Walden
but she knows her own quiet desperation

another day working a double shift
another week waiting on welfare
another month's rent spent on daycare
another year living on the edge

repeat chorus
counterpoint chorus
Wow! This is totally amazing. Great production all round. Everything is spot on. Well done. All of you!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 10/24/17 12:38 PM
Wow this is so good. First loved the lyric. Janice vocal and harmonies were excellent. What a cool collaboration with Kenny. His harmonies and guitar are so cool. Mix was so professional and balance. Should be on the radio....
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Wow! This is totally amazing. Great production all round. Everything is spot on. Well done. All of you!

Thanks Joanne! Glad you liked it given that writing and producing a rock song is a struggle for us!

J&B
I absolutely adore this collaboration! You guys work so well together, and I hope you guys will make more together in the future. I certainly agree that the guitar "dances with the fiddle" on this one. And the lyrics are also amazing.

Excited for the next one!
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow this is so good. First loved the lyric. Janice vocal and harmonies were excellent. What a cool collaboration with Kenny. His harmonies and guitar are so cool. Mix was so professional and balance. Should be on the radio....

Thank you Scott. We appreciate you mentioning the mix and Kenny's work.

J&B
I have heard this before obviously in production :), but it is a masterpiece.

Bravo.
Another sensational production from 'The Team'.

Actually, the material just jeeps getting better.

A powerful groove, and excellent lyrics & guitar instrumentation, all delivered with classy vocals makes this stand out.

Great job Team.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 10/24/17 03:13 PM
Love it!

Thanks for letting me be a part of it,

Thanks Scott, Ember, and all who mentioned my guitar work

Great song from two of my favs,

love the video too!

Kenny
Janice, Bud & Kenny,
An intro that grabs, lyrics that cut deep, the almost duelling fiddle/guitar sound and a tough-enough Janice vocal adds up to one of the best country rockers I`ve heard on this forum.
This is a sound that`s not easy to achieve so I appreciate the details on production...and commend your taking the time to get it right. You surely did!

Robert
Hey Everyone,

Super production! Tip of the hat to all. Kenny's licks are terrific; has Janice ever uttered a bad note - doubt it- Bud is a master "knob turner' and how can you go wrong with Noel and David as "advisors and influences?

The overall groove on this reminded me of early Trisha Yearwood. Regardless of who it might be similar to, it stands great on its own. The lyric is thought-provoking and oh-so-true.

Great song, production and delivery. Totally loved my listen. Hats off to all concerned.

Alan
Forgot to say ... the video was fantastic!
Posted By: RichMac Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 10/24/17 09:39 PM
Hi Janice Bud and Kenny.
Most enjoyable with great clarity and definition.
Fantastic counterpoint chorus. Cheers.
Nice one guys!

I listened to the audio yesterday, watched the video this morning.

First of all, a great write! One of your best I think, Bud. And I did hear a bit of a John Mellencamp vibe happening, especially at the beginning.

Janice is great as usual, such great tone! And phrasing too, not the first time I've mentioned that!

Harmonies with Kenny work well, and some nice tasteful guitar work happening also.

I always enjoy hearing collaborations, well done!
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I absolutely adore this collaboration! You guys work so well together, and I hope you guys will make more together in the future. I certainly agree that the guitar "dances with the fiddle" on this one. And the lyrics are also amazing.

Excited for the next one!

Thanks Ember! Collaborations are a very special part of BiaB’s forum. Glad you liked it.

J&B
What a tune! What a fantastic collaboration - I wouldn't flinch hearing this on the radio among the modern country tunes on the billboards. It's fantastically written, and the production on here is near flawless. Not to mention, the arrangement of all the instruments here gives it a lot of character.

Great work here, and thanks so much for sharing smile
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I have heard this before obviously in production :), but it is a masterpiece.

Bravo.

Thanks David for listening and most all the inspiration.

J&B
Great collaboration! Love the harmonies. Great job on the guitar, Kenny!

Love this.

Steve
Posted By: RnAM Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 10/26/17 03:47 PM
Thorough and straight basic rock arrangement. Drums work very well.
Kenny's "screaming" guitars are a very nice addition.
Bud, you did a terrific job with the layering of the vocals, especially on the bridge.

Rob
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Another sensational production from 'The Team'.

Actually, the material just jeeps getting better.

A powerful groove, and excellent lyrics & guitar instrumentation, all delivered with classy vocals makes this stand out.

Great job Team.

We appreciate that! Thanks for noting the groove. We put considerable effort into trying to make it work.

J&B
Posted By: rayc Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 10/27/17 08:29 AM
Class act all the way.
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Love it!

Thanks for letting me be a part of it,

Thanks Scott, Ember, and all who mentioned my guitar work

Great song from two of my favs,

love the video too!

Kenny

You nailed the fiddle dancing and the counterpart chorus. Both were big contributions!

J&B
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 10/27/17 06:37 PM
Love the way you guys tell a story.
Catchy upbeat tune- got my attention.
Nice work as well Kenny.
Rob
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janice, Bud & Kenny,
An intro that grabs, lyrics that cut deep, the almost duelling fiddle/guitar sound and a tough-enough Janice vocal adds up to one of the best country rockers I`ve heard on this forum.
This is a sound that`s not easy to achieve so I appreciate the details on production...and commend your taking the time to get it right. You surely did!

Robert

Thank you for both listening and for taking time to note the different aspects of the production. And of course for your kind remarks about those aspects. We much appreciate it!

J&B
Hello, Janice, Bud and Kenny

Great Collaboration!
The chords of intro.and Kenny's guitar are really nice.
As Ember said, the guitar "dances with the fiddle" on this one.
Janice's vocals properly reach us quiet desperation.
And really nice mixing.
Once Neutron is used, I also cannot stop using it because of its surprising effect.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Well heck...seems I'm late to THIS party! All the good stuff has already been said...

Nonetheless... an excellent Rock write. Very cool, thoughtful lyric and a totally rhythmic melody that carries it along.

Janice's vocal sounds like this is the song she was meant to sing (but, then, she makes everything sound like that). Kenny's harmonies work nicely.

Love the snare! Kenny's guitar work shines. There is definitely a Mellencamp vide to the whole thing. The mix is excellent.

Sounds like a classic.

fj
Posted By: bluage Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 10/28/17 02:48 PM
Dear Ms. Janice & "Bud"...

"Quiet Desperation" is a textbook example of the songwriting wisdom that "socially conscious" songs are even more powerful when the accompanying music sounds great!

The song has a hard-drivin' feeling that makes me want to shove my fist in the air and say, "Hell, no, that ain't fair!" to the observant lyrics.

To everyone involved in the production I say, "You really got it down on this one!"

In solidarity :),

LOREN
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Everyone,

Super production! Tip of the hat to all. Kenny's licks are terrific; has Janice ever uttered a bad note - doubt it- Bud is a master "knob turner' and how can you go wrong with Noel and David as "advisors and influences?

The overall groove on this reminded me of early Trisha Yearwood. Regardless of who it might be similar to, it stands great on its own. The lyric is thought-provoking and oh-so-true.

Great song, production and delivery. Totally loved my listen. Hats off to all concerned.

Alan

Thanks -- those are some very kind remarks! You've been cranking out one cool song after another. Takes me (Bud) a LONG time to squeeze one outa the song tube smile

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 10/29/17 12:45 AM
Janice, Bud and Kenny,

All the accolades that have coming your way are thoroughly deserved. This is outstanding. Every component sits so very comfortably with its audio colleagues that anyone who wasn't wise to the song's creation would immediately think "professional studio".

Janice's vocals are performed and processed perfectly for the genre; Kenny's guitar work is inspired from top to bottom; and Bud's arranging, mixing and polishing sparkle with expertise!

I really loved the journey you all took me on!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. My contribution amounted to nothing more than a speck of sand in a desert. All the kudos belongs to Janice, Bud and Kenny!
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Janice Bud and Kenny.
Most enjoyable with great clarity and definition.
Fantastic counterpoint chorus. Cheers.

Thanks! Glad you like the counterpoint. Janice dreamed that up while she was singing the lead track.

Bud

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice one guys!

I listened to the audio yesterday, watched the video this morning.

First of all, a great write! One of your best I think, Bud. And I did hear a bit of a John Mellencamp vibe happening, especially at the beginning.

Janice is great as usual, such great tone! And phrasing too, not the first time I've mentioned that!

Harmonies with Kenny work well, and some nice tasteful guitar work happening also.

I always enjoy hearing collaborations, well done!

We all appreciate that. Glad you heard some Mellencamp in there as we used several of his songs as references when mixing and mastering. Thanks for listening and commenting!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! What a fantastic collaboration - I wouldn't flinch hearing this on the radio among the modern country tunes on the billboards. It's fantastically written, and the production on here is near flawless. Not to mention, the arrangement of all the instruments here gives it a lot of character.

Great work here, and thanks so much for sharing smile

That's very kind of you Deryk and it is appreciated!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 10/31/17 10:22 PM
Janice Bud & Kenny

Impressive! Has it all - excellent lyrics, strong melody, Janice, and some tasty harmonies and guitar lines.
Deserves all the previous accolades and is another wonderful addition to your superb collection of songs.

Peter
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 11/01/17 01:34 AM
I really like this. A well thought out lyric. As Johnny Cash might say. We've all worn that cleanest dirty shirt. Wonderful job on everything. vocally, instrumentally and great mix.
Fantastic!! A lot of forum A-team members doing some great work! This is my favorite lyric from J and B. Everything in this song works so well for me. Cool video too! A home run!!! (since it's world series game 7 night). Take care. Greg

I'll can write only this night.
Another great song for us. A little different from your latest song but equally special.

Great vocal as usual but here particularly.

Sergio
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Great collaboration! Love the harmonies. Great job on the guitar, Kenny!

Love this.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Glad you liked Kenny’s work. He did a fine job.

J&B

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Thorough and straight basic rock arrangement. Drums work very well.
Kenny's "screaming" guitars are a very nice addition.
Bud, you did a terrific job with the layering of the vocals, especially on the bridge.

Rob

Thanks Rob. That’s great to hear you mention the vocal layering. You are a master at that.

J&B

Originally Posted By: rayc
Class act all the way.

Thanks Ray!

J&B
Posted By: ROG Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 11/04/17 09:44 AM
Hi there J&B.

I've been missing from the forum over the summer - several weeks in France without internet, plus busy looking after grandchildren during the school vacation - so this is the first thing I've reviewed in a while.

Well, you've got all the big names involved in this one, so I was expecting something good and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Right from the start the groove was there loud and strong in a clear and powerful mix.
Janice, well what can I say that you haven't heard so many times from me before. Fabulous.
Great guitar from Kenny and excellent BVs throughout.

All this, plus a super story-line lyric. Everything works SO well you must all be so proud of this one.

Cheers, ROG.
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Love the way you guys tell a story.
Catchy upbeat tune- got my attention.
Nice work as well Kenny.
Rob

Thanks Rob! You write fine stories so that makes your comment even more appreciated.

J&B
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice, Bud and Kenny

Great Collaboration!
The chords of intro.and Kenny's guitar are really nice.
As Ember said, the guitar "dances with the fiddle" on this one.
Janice's vocals properly reach us quiet desperation.
And really nice mixing.
Once Neutron is used, I also cannot stop using it because of its surprising effect.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you for listening and taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We much appreciate it!

J&B
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 11/07/17 12:41 PM
hi guys almost missed this awesome job on this peace great production as always thanks for sharing perfect colab eric
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Well heck...seems I'm late to THIS party! All the good stuff has already been said...

Nonetheless... an excellent Rock write. Very cool, thoughtful lyric and a totally rhythmic melody that carries it along.

Janice's vocal sounds like this is the song she was meant to sing (but, then, she makes everything sound like that). Kenny's harmonies work nicely.

Love the snare! Kenny's guitar work shines. There is definitely a Mellencamp vide to the whole thing. The mix is excellent.

Sounds like a classic.

fj

Thank you and especially so for mentioning the Mellencamp vibe. Glad you liked the snare doubling also. And, of course, your comment re Janice’s vocal put a BIG smile on her!

J&B
J&B

Great song! Vocals, instruments and production all top notch.
Thanks for posting.
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear Ms. Janice & "Bud"...

"Quiet Desperation" is a textbook example of the songwriting wisdom that "socially conscious" songs are even more powerful when the accompanying music sounds great!

The song has a hard-drivin' feeling that makes me want to shove my fist in the air and say, "Hell, no, that ain't fair!" to the observant lyrics.

To everyone involved in the production I say, "You really got it down on this one!"

In solidarity :),

LOREN

Loren, thank you for the thoughtful review and thanks even more for the understanding of the feel and lyric of the song. We appreciate it very much.

J&B
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Janice, Bud and Kenny,

All the accolades that have coming your way are thoroughly deserved. This is outstanding. Every component sits so very comfortably with its audio colleagues that anyone who wasn't wise to the song's creation would immediately think "professional studio".

Janice's vocals are performed and processed perfectly for the genre; Kenny's guitar work is inspired from top to bottom; and Bud's arranging, mixing and polishing sparkle with expertise!

I really loved the journey you all took me on!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. My contribution amounted to nothing more than a speck of sand in a desert. All the kudos belongs to Janice, Bud and Kenny!

Thank you Noel for the generous comments. We are akways appreciative of your insights and your suggestions regarding bridge structure were significantly more than you alluded to smile
Posted By: dani48 Re: Quiet Desperation (with Kenny aka 44kfl) - 11/11/17 09:02 AM
Hi, everyone involved !:))

I too am late to the party
but fortunately not too late
to this absolutely fantastic
production and example of
superb co-operation !!!!

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice Bud & Kenny

Impressive! Has it all - excellent lyrics, strong melody, Janice, and some tasty harmonies and guitar lines.
Deserves all the previous accolades and is another wonderful addition to your superb collection of songs.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I (Bud) am glad you liked Janice’s melody. I thought it fit the groove well.

Bud

Wow, I can't believe I missed seeing and hearing this before. Nice work! I love the lyrics. The mix sounds great! Congratulations on a well done piece of music.
Originally Posted By: guitar1
I really like this. A well thought out lyric. As Johnny Cash might say. We've all worn that cleanest dirty shirt. Wonderful job on everything. vocally, instrumentally and great mix.

Thanks! And we much appreciate you mentioning the lyric!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Fantastic!! A lot of forum A-team members doing some great work! This is my favorite lyric from J and B. Everything in this song works so well for me. Cool video too! A home run!!! (since it's world series game 7 night). Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg and particularly for commenting on the lyric.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

I'll can write only this night.
Another great song for us. A little different from your latest song but equally special.

Great vocal as usual but here particularly.

Sergio

Thanks Sergio. We appreciate you commenting very much and thanks for mentioning the vocal!

J&B
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B.

I've been missing from the forum over the summer - several weeks in France without internet, plus busy looking after grandchildren during the school vacation - so this is the first thing I've reviewed in a while.

Well, you've got all the big names involved in this one, so I was expecting something good and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Right from the start the groove was there loud and strong in a clear and powerful mix.
Janice, well what can I say that you haven't heard so many times from me before. Fabulous.
Great guitar from Kenny and excellent BVs throughout.

All this, plus a super story-line lyric. Everything works SO well you must all be so proud of this one.

Cheers, ROG.

Hey ROG, great to see you back around. We really like your latest song you and your son did. Too cool! Thanks for your kind words. You hit on all the things we worked hard to get right so it even means more to us. We appreciate it!!!

J&B

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi guys almost missed this awesome job on this peace great production as always thanks for sharing perfect colab eric

Thanks Eric!

J&B
Well J&B, what can I say that has not been said already but ditto to all of it. Great collaboration!

Mike B.
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
J&B

Great song! Vocals, instruments and production all top notch.
Thanks for posting.

Thank you for taking time to listen and offer such supportive comments. We appreciate it (and your wonderful product)!!!

J&B
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, everyone involved !:))

I too am late to the party
but fortunately not too late
to this absolutely fantastic
production and example of
superb co-operation !!!!

Cheers
Dani

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: RichRayer
Wow, I can't believe I missed seeing and hearing this before. Nice work! I love the lyrics. The mix sounds great! Congratulations on a well done piece of music.

Thanks! Appreciate you mentioning the lyric and mix.

J&B
Nice upbeat song, hits home for many people. Love the lyrics and the melody. You all rock!!!
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Well J&B, what can I say that has not been said already but ditto to all of it. Great collaboration!

Mike B.

Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Nice upbeat song, hits home for many people. Love the lyrics and the melody. You all rock!!!

Thanks y'all! We appreciate you listening and commenting.
Love the Lyric
© PG Music Forums