PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 So Beautiful - 01/20/18 12:28 AM
Last year (2017) in August, I read the below post of Alan's and watched the videos that he linked to that post.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=427772

In addition to his and Di's immense love of life, love of music and love for one another that Alan's videos showed, there was one line in his post, that my brain kept returning to.

Originally Posted By: Alan David
Don'tcha think she looks pretty danged good for 65 years old at the time??!!

I don't know why, but every now and then, these words kept resurfacing in my mind.

It was a slow journey, but eventually his comment morphed into "She's so beautiful to me" and, once that happened, a song began to grow.

If you are interested in having a listen, here is that song. [Thank you Alan and Di smile I dedicate this composition to you.]

[Link no longer valid]

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the work.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Those of us who have been on the forum for a few years are aware that life has not always been generous to Alan and Di. Through whatever has come their way, though, they have kept shining and, moreover, they have kept shining brightly. I marvel at their resilience and their positivity. For me, they stand amongst the most inspirational people I have ever known.

= = = = =

BIAB Band

1190: Bass, Electric, ModernRnBRock Ev 065
1676: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 065
1595: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop8thsSteady Ev 065
1539:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveHeldDry Ev16 065

RealDrums: NashBrushBalDbKEv16^1-a: Snare, HiHat , b: QuarterHat, TripletSnare

= = = = =

Lyrics

Through the leaves and branches
Look at all that sunshine
A new tomorrow and it’s breaking free
You know, like the rising sun
You are so beautiful to me

When I’m on my own
Just me and memories
I’m usually smiling ‘cause you’re all I see

I don’t know what each new day will bring for us
What surprise will knock knock knock at the door
But as long as you’re beside me skies are blue for us
And life is true for us
Come sunshine, rain or storm

On all this planet
So vast and awesome
It’s here with you that I choose to be
You are so beautiful, so remarkable
You’re the sunshine that makes my day

©2018 Noel Adams, words and music, all rights reserved.
Posted By: sslechta Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 12:39 AM
Sounds great Noel! I think that's the first time I've heard one of yours. I like your vocal style.
Posted By: dcuny Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 03:39 AM
Very, very nice. The arrangement feels organic, tailored for the song. The balance between the instruments and the vocals is great. Your voice is pleasant, and a perfect match for the arrangement and lyrics.

The held strum on the introduction is very effective, as are the other flourishes you've put in the song. Your little asymmetric Noel-isms come out smooth and natural.

I like the chord changes going into "blue for us/true for us", and that rhyme works really well. Plus, it distracts me from the fact that you already used it at the beginning of the verse. wink

Posted By: RichMac Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 04:46 AM
Beautiful lyrics and presentation.
Your voice suits the song also Noel.
Great sentiments.
Cheers.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 05:44 AM
Hi Noel. This sentimental song has a wonderful delicate melody.
Most enjoyable mate. Rob
Posted By: furry Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 07:48 AM
Noel that's simply brilliant thanks for sharing
Posted By: rsdean Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 08:36 AM
Noel,

Another stunning presentation... Great all around!

Bob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 09:27 AM
I read that post from Alan too back then, and also watched the videos.

Nice that it inspired you to write such a lovely song!

Really enjoyed this one Noel, well done smile
Posted By: ROG Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 09:45 AM
Hi Noel,

A fabulous song with wonderful lyrics, a super professional arrangement and a perfect mix.

This has to be your best vocal performance ever.

I sat and listened to it spellbound.

ROG.
Posted By: jannesan Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 11:09 AM
It is always pleasure to hear your new songs, they are always so positive, beautifully arranged with excellent vocals. This one is no exception, everything works perfectly, song that is "so beautiful, so remarkable the sunshine that makes my day". Your comments to other forum members' songs reflect also the same positivity that your songs. I feel I'm blessed to be part of this community where it is possible receive such a positive feedback and also get inspiration to songs from other members, like you have got here. Thanks Noel for sharing your new masterpiece and the story behind it smile

Janne
Posted By: David Snyder Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 01:02 PM

Hey Noel,

This one gave me real goosebumps man. Just awesome--and beautiful.

I could blabber and go on and on, but really this one just seems to come straight from the heart and is so pure, it is really what music is all about.

The music and the phrasing reminds me of the best of Cat Stevens. It's hard to know what to say except that it is just so simple and so perfect.

Well done sir!!!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 02:27 PM
Noel,
A wonderfully heartfelt lyric, strong vocal and lovely, elegant melody...this is pure Noel!
Those three guitars blend seemlessly.
I concur with Janne : your beautiful songs and ever positive contributions are a highlight of this forum.

Robert
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 03:44 PM
Extraordinarily beautiful Noel.

You've paid a superb and generous tribute to Alan & Di. They will be thrilled with your dedication.

Melodically and Lyrically this is just brilliant.

And your selfless comment that 'that life has not always been generous to Alan and Di'. I'm sure that might apply to others who visit here also. Wishing them all health and happiness for 2018 and beyond.

Trev
Posted By: PeterF Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 04:56 PM
Noel

Superb work. Lovely lyric, melodic appropriate backing and nicely performed.
An excellent production.

Peter
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 06:18 PM
Wow, I really love how inspired everyone is here by one another! I think that's probably one of my favourite things about this forum. Everyone encourages and inspires everyone else's creativity! This was a really great song, and you made some really beautiful choices.

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: dani48 Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 08:32 PM
Hi, Noel !

So sweet, so beautiful !
The best from you without
doubt, friend Noel !!

Wonderful music !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Scott C Re: So Beautiful - 01/20/18 09:46 PM
What a lovely tune Noel. I first want an excellent vocal. It was so tastefully down and expressed such a lovely lyric. The guitars in the background were the perfect choice. Well done
Posted By: Steve Young Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 01:03 AM
Noel,

What a wonderfully moving and touching song. I watched Alan and Di's videos, and like you was very impressed at their loving interaction. Your song is so well written. One of your best. Really enjoyed it!

Your Texan friend,

Steve
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 03:54 AM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Sounds great Noel! I think that's the first time I've heard one of yours. I like your vocal style.

Thanks for having a listen, Steve. Appreciate it.
Posted By: Al-David Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 05:56 AM
Hi Noel,

I left a couple of comments on your Soundcloud post not long after you posted it (thanks for the PM!). But i never got back here, until now, to leave a comment on this great forum.

Di and I are both so appreciative of this. It literally brought tears to our eyes. We can't thank you enough for rendering such a beautiful song that cma e as an inspiration from one of our forum posts. It sounds like Noel Adams - no one else. And that makes us very happy. That Adams guy is pretty danged good, you know!

we all have our challenges in life and sometimes get a burnt burger when we were expecting a steak. Every day is a struggle for her - and sometimes me - but we have a closet full of tenacity. I miss those days when she and I would spend hours in front of that camera and sing our silly butts off. And she's always been gorgeous to me.

Again, a personal and very heartfelt thanks for this masterpiece. God bless, my friend. And we send our love and well wishes for others on this forum who have to face uphill battles of their own.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 10:01 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Very, very nice. The arrangement feels organic, tailored for the song. The balance between the instruments and the vocals is great. Your voice is pleasant, and a perfect match for the arrangement and lyrics.

The held strum on the introduction is very effective, as are the other flourishes you've put in the song. Your little asymmetric Noel-isms come out smooth and natural.

I like the chord changes going into "blue for us/true for us", and that rhyme works really well. Plus, it distracts me from the fact that you already used it at the beginning of the verse. wink

David,

Thanks for taking time to be analytical. As always, I found your insight informative and valuable. You have quite a knack for analysis plus you're also really good at explaining your thinking. Reading what you write always gets my brain travelling along pathways that would never occur to me. Thank you for that.

Regarding the repetition of 'for us' in lines 1, 3 and 4... I've recently been reading some articles on terms of rhetoric and literary devices and this particular one is called "epistrophe". It's where phrases or clauses end in the same word or words and it is a technique that is sometimes used to create emphasis. I've never purposefully done this before so it was a bit of an experiment in this song. To be honest, I think I find anaphora more useful and comfortable to work with than epistrophe.

Again, thank you for taking the time.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: gruverider Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 03:22 PM
Wonderful tribute to Al and Di!

I love your choice of realtracks and your arrangement. It blends smoothly with the lyrics and together they make for a beautiful song.

It's always good to see a new song posted by you and I enjoy and appreciate the stories behind the inspiration. You are always so generous with your comments and time. You make this community all the more engaging and warm.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 03:26 PM
Noel,

This is beautiful. A beautiful tribute to beautiful forum friends.

A lovely write. I especially like the "knock knock knock" - most folks would not think to do that. The melody is extraordinary - going places that surprised me at ever turn.

The production is super. Those acoustics sound SO good. Excellent mix - everything sits well. A delightfully "relaxed" vocal. So nice!

fj
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Beautiful lyrics and presentation.
Your voice suits the song also Noel.
Great sentiments.
Cheers.

Richard,

It's always a pleasure to see that you've visited. Thank you for your support. Much appreciated.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: dcuny Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I've never purposefully done this before so it was a bit of an experiment in this song.

Given that you wrote it, I figured that nothing was left to chance. smile

I really did like the repetition in the phrase, and it wasn't until I went to cut and paste it that I noticed you used it at the start of the verse.

So I've filed it away as a useful tool in case I get stuck in the future.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 06:59 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I've never purposefully done this before so it was a bit of an experiment in this song.

Given that you wrote it, I figured that nothing was left to chance. smile

I really did like the repetition in the phrase, and it wasn't until I went to cut and paste it that I noticed you used it at the start of the verse.

So I've filed it away as a useful tool in case I get stuck in the future.

David,

Just in case you're interested, here is a really comprehensive list of literary terms and rhetorical devices.

https://www.litcharts.com/literary-devices-and-terms

I periodically read through lists like this to give me some inspiration and also to give me some techniques that I can experiment with in lyrics.

For example: Three or four years ago I read about 'foreshadowing'. Since my education was 100% science based, I'd never come across this term before. But after reading more about the concept, it occurred to me that lyrics can be strengthened if a chorus in a verse-chorus song has some degree of foreshadowing.

As a consequence of writing the above, I've put together a brief article in the Songwriting forum about how I use foreshadowing in a chorus. If you're interested, the article is at the below link.

Article on foreshadowing

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 07:31 PM
What a great song Noel! Just like the title, it is "Beautiful" as well as the thought behind the composition! There is a ton of feeling exuding from this that just reaches out and grabs the listeners heart! Wonderful job! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: dcuny Re: So Beautiful - 01/21/18 08:26 PM
Since my education was 100% science based, I'd never come across this term [forshadowing] before.

Wow, that really is a 100% science education. sick

When I was a kid, I wanted to be either be a writer like Ray Bradbury or an animator like Ray Harryhausen.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the talent to do either, but I have a couple Super 8 reels of Plasticine characters rolling and melting (because walking is hard to animate), as well as a couple of not very good short stories.

Which is just a long way of saysing, yes, Chekov's gun is a familiar device. smile
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/22/18 08:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hi Noel. This sentimental song has a wonderful delicate melody.
Most enjoyable mate. Rob

Thanks Rob. Appreciate your listen and comment.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: tommyad Re: So Beautiful - 01/22/18 10:36 AM
Noel, This is an amazing tribute ti Alan and Di. Exquisite production and sung with the perfect amount of expression and emotion. The arrangement is top notch with the holds and mix can't be topped. I love the chord choices. In a word - Fantastic, Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/22/18 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Noel that's simply brilliant thanks for sharing

Hi Graham,

That you for getting the chance to have a listen. I appreciate the feedback.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/23/18 09:26 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Noel,

Another stunning presentation... Great all around!

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for visiting the thread. I always smile when I see your name appear. Appreciateit.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: So Beautiful - 01/23/18 01:17 PM
Robert used the word "elegant" in describing your song.

We would add "classy" to that. Our collaboration with you, our conversations and ALL of your productions have been an inspiration to the two of us. And So Beautiful continues the trend in a most lovely manner.

The lyric, the melody and your vocal have a symbiosis which very few artists can match.

And we often voice our love of productions that work with a small number of tracks. This is a GREAT example of that.

Simply outstanding.

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/23/18 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I read that post from Alan too back then, and also watched the videos.

Nice that it inspired you to write such a lovely song!

Really enjoyed this one Noel, well done smile

Hey Dave,

Good to see you. Thank you for taking time to visit Soundcloud and listen. I appreciate comments.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: animarorecords Re: So Beautiful - 01/24/18 05:22 AM
Hello, Noel

Simple but very beautiful song.
The acoustic arrangement really fits this tune.
I love very much the chord progression at end of the bridge.
Your vocal is very pleasant.
I think this tune is a little short.
I thought that it would be nice to repeat the bridge and the last clause after adding an interlude.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/24/18 08:55 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Noel,

A fabulous song with wonderful lyrics, a super professional arrangement and a perfect mix.

This has to be your best vocal performance ever.

I sat and listened to it spellbound.

ROG.

ROG,

I'm really thankful for all the support that you've give my growing songwriting and song-producing over the years. Thank you once again for taking time to listen and to comment. I sincerely appreciate it.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: bluage Re: So Beautiful - 01/24/18 04:20 PM
Dear "Noel96"...

The title of your song, is what your song is. You sing of a kind of love that makes the lover feel that his feelings for the loved one are one with his experience of the natural world, such as the warmth of the sun, the radiance of which is as palpable as the emotion that pours forth from his (your) heart. Your lyrics are as elemental -- and powerful -- in their simplicity as the blue of the sky you sing about.

By taking your inspiration for your song from the created world, you could be singing as much about God, as you could be singing about another human being who is on the receiving end of what seems to be your personal, and immense capacity to share yourself, your whole being, with another being...and isn't that what "love" is all about -- sharing?

Your music has the effect of making time stand still.

Reveling in the peace you bring,

LOREN
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/24/18 10:50 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
It is always pleasure to hear your new songs, they are always so positive, beautifully arranged with excellent vocals. This one is no exception, everything works perfectly, song that is "so beautiful, so remarkable the sunshine that makes my day". Your comments to other forum members' songs reflect also the same positivity that your songs. I feel I'm blessed to be part of this community where it is possible receive such a positive feedback and also get inspiration to songs from other members, like you have got here. Thanks Noel for sharing your new masterpiece and the story behind it smile

Janne

Janne,

I don't know what to say smile I really appreciate all your very kind and encouraging words. You've really taken me by surprise!

The great thing about this community is that the users here realise that each song that's posted is important to the person who posted it and that that person has done the very best he or she knows how to get the best possible result they can.... they are proud of their work, they want to share it with others and they feel that this community will support them.

I remember when Users Showcase first started out. It's certainly grown over the years to become an awesome little corner of the internet smile

Thank you for taking the time to have a listen and to write such supportive words. I am incredibly thankful.

May good things come your way as Finland starts to warm up a bit for Spring!
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/25/18 05:00 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Noel,

This one gave me real goosebumps man. Just awesome--and beautiful.

I could blabber and go on and on, but really this one just seems to come straight from the heart and is so pure, it is really what music is all about.

The music and the phrasing reminds me of the best of Cat Stevens. It's hard to know what to say except that it is just so simple and so perfect.

Well done sir!!!

David,

Thank you for the goosebumps! I can't recall that my music has ever done that to anyone before. Maybe it was measles or chicken pox. I hope they've settled down now smile Above everything else, though, I continue to be thankful for your support. I sincerely appreciate it!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Al-David Re: So Beautiful - 01/25/18 08:41 AM
Me once again,

This is just so cool! You have made an indelible impression in our minds. We can't thank you enough!

And thanks to all the others with their kind comments about both the song and Di and me. God bless you all.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/25/18 02:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Noel,
A wonderfully heartfelt lyric, strong vocal and lovely, elegant melody...this is pure Noel!
Those three guitars blend seemlessly.
I concur with Janne : your beautiful songs and ever positive contributions are a highlight of this forum.

Robert

Robert,

I appreciate the visit! Thank you for listening and for commenting. I always find it very valuable how others hear my songs because I lose mixing objectivity very early in the process. I'm glad to read that it 'worked' for you.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/25/18 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Extraordinarily beautiful Noel.

You've paid a superb and generous tribute to Alan & Di. They will be thrilled with your dedication.

Melodically and Lyrically this is just brilliant.

And your selfless comment that 'that life has not always been generous to Alan and Di'. I'm sure that might apply to others who visit here also. Wishing them all health and happiness for 2018 and beyond.

Trev

Trev,

Thank you! Without a doubt, and as I'm sure you've picked up from forum comments over the years, Alan and Di are remarkable people. This song would never have come into being if it wasn't for them.

I appreciate your continued support and I join in with you wishing everyone good health and happiness smile

Best wishes,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/25/18 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Noel

Superb work. Lovely lyric, melodic appropriate backing and nicely performed.
An excellent production.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I appreciate the listen and the comments.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/26/18 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Wow, I really love how inspired everyone is here by one another! I think that's probably one of my favourite things about this forum. Everyone encourages and inspires everyone else's creativity! This was a really great song, and you made some really beautiful choices.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for visiting the thread, Ember, and having a listen to my song. I agree, it's a great forum and it seems to get better and better as time passes. PG Music did well when they created this little bit of the web smile

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: So Beautiful - 01/26/18 02:58 AM
Wow Noel. What a touching and heartfelt tribute. So gentle and the simple backing helps the vocal really stand out. Ended to soon ! Simply beautiful.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/26/18 02:38 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Noel !

So sweet, so beautiful !
The best from you without
doubt, friend Noel !!

Wonderful music !

Cheers
Dani

Dani,

Thank you heaps for taking the time to have a listen and to write a comment. I appreciate it.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/27/18 04:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a lovely tune Noel. I first want an excellent vocal. It was so tastefully down and expressed such a lovely lyric. The guitars in the background were the perfect choice. Well done

Scott,

Thank you for the visit. It's always good to see you and read what you think about my songs. I'm always cautious when it comes to working with guitars because my instrument is piano and guitars are a bit harder for me to mix. That's why I appreciate your comments. Your expertise is the guitar so, if my songs work for you, that's always a hopeful sign smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/27/18 10:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Noel,

What a wonderfully moving and touching song. I watched Alan and Di's videos, and like you was very impressed at their loving interaction. Your song is so well written. One of your best. Really enjoyed it!

Your Texan friend,

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for the taking the time. I know it's in short supply for you and I really appreciate it.

I hope that 2018 is shaping up to be a worthy year for you and your family smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/28/18 09:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Noel,

Your Texan friend,

Steve

Hey Steve,

Thank you for passing through the thread. I always smile when I see that you've visited. Glad to read that you like it! Appreciate the support.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Andyman Re: So Beautiful - 01/28/18 10:10 PM
This is a really pretty song and beautifully sung.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/30/18 08:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Noel,

I left a couple of comments on your Soundcloud post not long after you posted it (thanks for the PM!). But I never got back here, until now, to leave a comment on this great forum.

Di and I are both so appreciative of this. It literally brought tears to our eyes. We can't thank you enough for rendering such a beautiful song that came as an inspiration from one of our forum posts. It sounds like Noel Adams - no one else. And that makes us very happy. That Adams guy is pretty danged good, you know!

we all have our challenges in life and sometimes get a burnt burger when we were expecting a steak. Every day is a struggle for her - and sometimes me - but we have a closet full of tenacity. I miss those days when she and I would spend hours in front of that camera and sing our silly butts off. And she's always been gorgeous to me.

Again, a personal and very heartfelt thanks for this masterpiece. God bless, my friend. And we send our love and well wishes for others on this forum who have to face uphill battles of their own.

Alan & Di

Alan and Di,

There are no two ways about it. You both are amazing! Thank you for the encouragement. It was absolutely my pleasure to be able to write this.

Always best wishes and lots of good thoughts,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/30/18 08:52 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wonderful tribute to Al and Di!

I love your choice of realtracks and your arrangement. It blends smoothly with the lyrics and together they make for a beautiful song.

It's always good to see a new song posted by you and I enjoy and appreciate the stories behind the inspiration. You are always so generous with your comments and time. You make this community all the more engaging and warm.

Hi Lawrence,

I apologise that it's taken me so long to reply to you. It seems that the journey that took me away from the forum a little while back is still not over and it required me to be absent again for a bit. That's life, though.

Thank you for taking the time to visit Soundcloud and have a listen. I always appreciate reading what you have to say. Now I just need to learn to be as creative as you!

Thanks again,
Noel
Posted By: RnAM Re: So Beautiful - 01/30/18 05:34 PM
This is gorgeous Noël!
Such a heartfelt and respectful tribute.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 01/31/18 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Noel,

This is beautiful. A beautiful tribute to beautiful forum friends.

A lovely write. I especially like the "knock knock knock" - most folks would not think to do that. The melody is extraordinary - going places that surprised me at ever turn.

The production is super. Those acoustics sound SO good. Excellent mix - everything sits well. A delightfully "relaxed" vocal. So nice!

fj

Hey floyd,

Thanks for dropping in! It's always great to see you smile I'm glad you picked up on the 'knock knock knock'. I was trying to think of some way to make the act of knocking on a door an aural experience by using words. This seemed to do the job (for me at least).

Also, thank you for your thoughts on the mix, etc. Getting guitars 'right' is always a big challenge for me because I'm a keyboard player. These days, I avoid plugins other than Ozone for the final mix and some EQ to reduce bass-related muddiness. The instruments that come from PG Music seem to do the job really well with minimal adjusting.

Hope things are sailing along well for you up there above the equator.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I'm very mindful that I've let a couple of your songs slip past me. I sincerely apologise for that. I'm planning on tracking them down!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/01/18 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
What a great song Noel! Just like the title, it is "Beautiful" as well as the thought behind the composition! There is a ton of feeling exuding from this that just reaches out and grabs the listeners heart! Wonderful job! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey,

It's good to see you. I really appreciate your taking time to visit, listen and comment. Your continued support means a lot.

Thank you,
Noel
Posted By: rayc Re: So Beautiful - 02/01/18 04:28 AM
Noel,
There's a touch of the Go Betweens' Robert Forster to your phrasing.
Nice work.
heartfelt lyrics and melody.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/01/18 07:55 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Noel, This is an amazing tribute ti Alan and Di. Exquisite production and sung with the perfect amount of expression and emotion. The arrangement is top notch with the holds and mix can't be topped. I love the chord choices. In a word - Fantastic, Tom

Tom,

Thank you. Your comments started my day in a perfect way. I appreciate that.

I think that I'm discovering that the lesser the number of instruments I have in a mix, the more chance I have of getting it to sound ok! I don't think I could ever adventure into the territory of some of those productions that you and floyd seem to put together so effortlessly... maybe one day.

Thanks again for taking the time.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/01/18 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Robert used the word "elegant" in describing your song.

We would add "classy" to that. Our collaboration with you, our conversations and ALL of your productions have been an inspiration to the two of us. And So Beautiful continues the trend in a most lovely manner.

The lyric, the melody and your vocal have a symbiosis which very few artists can match.

And we often voice our love of productions that work with a small number of tracks. This is a GREAT example of that.

Simply outstanding.

J&B

Hey Janice&Bud,

I appreciate your visit to the thread and your comments. Thank you for listening!

I'm just about to head off for my first day of teaching for the year and reading through your thoughts once more this morning has given me the shot of enthusiasm I needed! I'm really, really grateful for that smile

All the best to you both!
Noel
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: So Beautiful - 02/02/18 12:55 PM
This is incredible, Noel smile The way this is presented is so interesting to me. It definitely has a unique quality to it I can’t put my finger on. And by the way - your vocal performance here is unreal! Overall it is just a well executed and well written tune.

Great work - you should be proud of this! Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/03/18 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Noel

Simple but very beautiful song.
The acoustic arrangement really fits this tune.
I love very much the chord progression at end of the bridge.
Your vocal is very pleasant.
I think this tune is a little short.
I thought that it would be nice to repeat the bridge and the last clause after adding an interlude.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki Adachi,

It's always good to see you! I'm glad you had a chance to visit and to have a listen. I appreciate your comments. Also, thanks for your thoughts on lengthening the song. I haven't tried those yet but I will get around to it smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Ian Ferrin Re: So Beautiful - 02/04/18 05:46 AM
Beautiful tune Noel.

I thought of a little tweak you can have for free if you want to use it:

"But as long as you’re beside me blue skies are new for us"

I think this might be a little less cliche.

This is a well crafted song and I really enjoyed it,

Peace,

Ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/04/18 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear "Noel96"...

The title of your song, is what your song is. You sing of a kind of love that makes the lover feel that his feelings for the loved one are one with his experience of the natural world, such as the warmth of the sun, the radiance of which is as palpable as the emotion that pours forth from his (your) heart. Your lyrics are as elemental -- and powerful -- in their simplicity as the blue of the sky you sing about.

By taking your inspiration for your song from the created world, you could be singing as much about God, as you could be singing about another human being who is on the receiving end of what seems to be your personal, and immense capacity to share yourself, your whole being, with another being...and isn't that what "love" is all about -- sharing?

Your music has the effect of making time stand still.

Reveling in the peace you bring,

LOREN

Hi Loren,

I have to hand it to you, you sure know how to make an amateur/hobby songwriter feel magnificent! Thank you so much for that. I really, really appreciate your comments and the fact that you could spare time to have a listen.

Your comment about "...the effect of making time stand still" has caused me to sit here pondering. I wonder if this is a measure of the effectiveness of a composition in AABA form?

Many years ago, I read Shiela Davis' lyric and song writing books. In these, she spoke about how AABA format is best used to capture a single moment in time. After reading that, I started looking at many of the famous AABA format songs (e.g. "Over the Rainbow", "When You Wish Upon A Star", "Yesterday", etc.) and discovered that the large majority of them were set either in a single moment of time or to a time period that's very close to a single moment. Usually this 'moment of time' came across as the singer reflecting on a situation or set of circumstances.

Since I discovered the above, I've adopted Davis' principle and I always try to anchor my AABA songs (like "So Beautiful") in one moment of time. It seems to work.

So to make a long story short, I think it's the format that creates the effect of time standing still and not my writing.

Once again, thank you so very much for such gracious comments. I am sincerely grateful.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/04/18 03:47 PM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Wow Noel. What a touching and heartfelt tribute. So gentle and the simple backing helps the vocal really stand out. Ended to soon ! Simply beautiful.

Hi Joanne,

I'm glad you visited. It's always great to see you! Thank you finding the time to jump over to Soundcloud and have a listen. I appreciate it. I also appreciate your thoughts.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/05/18 08:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Andyman
This is a really pretty song and beautifully sung.

Thank you, Andyman. Appreciate the visit...

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: bluage Re: So Beautiful - 02/06/18 03:51 AM
So to make a long story short, I think it's the format that creates the effect of time standing still and not my writing.

Dear "Noel96"...

What Ms. Davis revealed to you about song form is unbearably interesting because it has a sense of truth about it, especially since you cited actual songs that seem to illustrate her/your point. I can't wait to read more about it.

I lack the theoretical knowledge of music to apply it in support of my statement. Nonetheless, what I meant when I wrote about the time-stilling effect of your music, I was speaking almost exclusively about the emotional/spiritual impact of it, the tranquilizing effect it had on my nervous system. It was like lying on the green grass of a high, shapely hill under a sky so blue you could lick it and taste the blueness, with a quiet sun burning on the most perfect day that ever came to pass, and contemplating the eternal glory of it all.

As I attempted to explain in my initial comment, though of course we have not ever met, I feel quite strongly that I hear the (near) totality of your personality in your compositions. I believe that you must enjoy being alive in a wide-eyed, wide-awake manner, not unlike a child that, because of its innocence, its newness, sees this world in a blaze of reality that has not been tainted by the complexity of the society he/she lives in.

Whatever the reason, the songs you post on the User's Forum are simply one-of-a-kind because of the consistent energy and passion that they reveal through your lyric writing, music composing and performance traits and skills.

LOREN

Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/06/18 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
This is gorgeous Noël!
Such a heartfelt and respectful tribute.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks for dropping by Rob and Anne-Marie. It's always excellent to see you. I appreciate that you had some time to have a listen.

All the best to you both,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/07/18 04:52 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Noel,
There's a touch of the Go Betweens' Robert Forster to your phrasing.
Nice work.
heartfelt lyrics and melody.

Appreciate the visit, Ray. Thank you for taking time to listen and post comments.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/07/18 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
This is incredible, Noel smile The way this is presented is so interesting to me. It definitely has a unique quality to it I can’t put my finger on. And by the way - your vocal performance here is unreal! Overall it is just a well executed and well written tune.

Great work - you should be proud of this! Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks, Deryk. You know how to start a person's workday really well! I appreciate that you had time to have a listen and to pass on your thoughts. For the record, none of what I do would be possible if it weren't for the amazing company that you work for and Band In A Box.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Belladonna Re: So Beautiful - 02/07/18 03:58 PM
Sometimes you sound a little like Ringo Starr singing a love song. Very nice love song. Good imagery.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/08/18 08:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Ian Ferrin
Beautiful tune Noel.

I thought of a little tweak you can have for free if you want to use it:

"But as long as you’re beside me blue skies are new for us"

I think this might be a little less cliche.

This is a well crafted song and I really enjoyed it,

Peace,

Ian

Thanks, Ian. Appreciate the visit, the listen and the comments. Thanks too for taking time to ponder the lyrics and offer your suggestion.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: molsenhouse Re: So Beautiful - 02/08/18 09:04 AM
BEAUTIFUL!

Both the idea behind the song and the way it turned out to be.
Well sounding and beautiful – WELL DONE!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/09/18 09:45 AM

Dear "Noel96"...

What Ms. Davis revealed to you about song form is unbearably interesting because it has a sense of truth about it, especially since you cited actual songs that seem to illustrate her/your point. I can't wait to read more about it.

I lack the theoretical knowledge of music to apply it in support of my statement. Nonetheless, what I meant when I wrote about the time-stilling effect of your music, I was speaking almost exclusively about the emotional/spiritual impact of it, the tranquilizing effect it had on my nervous system. It was like lying on the green grass of a high, shapely hill under a sky so blue you could lick it and taste the blueness, with a quiet sun burning on the most perfect day that ever came to pass, and contemplating the eternal glory of it all.

As I attempted to explain in my initial comment, though of course we have not ever met, I feel quite strongly that I hear the (near) totality of your personality in your compositions. I believe that you must enjoy being alive in a wide-eyed, wide-awake manner, not unlike a child that, because of its innocence, its newness, sees this world in a blaze of reality that has not been tainted by the complexity of the society he/she lives in.

Whatever the reason, the songs you post on the User's Forum are simply one-of-a-kind because of the consistent energy and passion that they reveal through your lyric writing, music composing and performance traits and skills.

LOREN

My goodness, Loren, I'm not quite sure what to say. Your eloquence sparkles and gleams like pure gold.

There is no doubt about it, your skill with language would rival that of master poets. The way with which you engage a reader's senses is outstanding.... tantalisingly so!

I'm very grateful that you visited again. It's always a pleasure to read what you write. Thank you smile

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/10/18 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Sometimes you sound a little like Ringo Starr singing a love song. Very nice love song. Good imagery.

Hi Donna,

I appreciate the visit, the listen and the comments. Thank you.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Teunis Re: So Beautiful - 02/10/18 11:20 PM
A very beautiful song that was well written lyrically, and done well instrumentally and vocally. A really nice listen.

Tony
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/12/18 08:17 AM
Originally Posted By: molsenhouse
BEAUTIFUL!

Both the idea behind the song and the way it turned out to be.
Well sounding and beautiful – WELL DONE!

Hi Molsenhouse,

Thank you! Very much appreciate that you dropped in and had a listen.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Sundance Re: So Beautiful - 02/13/18 02:09 AM
This is so beautifully done Noel. Everything about it sounds great and it has such a great heart to heart feel.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/13/18 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Teunis
A very beautiful song that was well written lyrically, and done well instrumentally and vocally. A really nice listen.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for having a listen.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 02/18/18 08:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
This is so beautifully done Noel. Everything about it sounds great and it has such a great heart to heart feel.

Josie,

Thank you for dropping in. I'm glad that you had a chance to have a listen. It's really good to see you in the forum again. You've definitely been missed smile

May good thing come you way!
Noel
Posted By: Jim Re: So Beautiful - 11/20/18 06:03 PM
A simple beautiful love song... the world needs more these!
Posted By: bluage Re: So Beautiful - 11/21/18 12:31 AM
Dear "Noel96"...

"So Beautiful" is the musical equivalent of someone handing a flower to another, of a younger person deliberately taking the time to hold a conversation with an elderly person, of reading a book aloud to someone without the gift of sight, and other such selfless, bonding, and boundlessly loving actions.

Its brevity is analogous to the phrase, "short and sweet." No matter which way you "come at" a song, "Noel96", you seem to always to lead with your heart.

God bless you for composing and performing this inspired song for Al and Ms. Diane, sir!

LOREN
Posted By: Crossroads Re: So Beautiful - 11/21/18 09:26 AM
Hi Noel,

the song title is a true characterization of the song itself: It's so beautiful. Very touching music and lyrics. I agree with everything that's been said by the other forum members - what a treat.

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 11/25/18 03:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
A simple beautiful love song... the world needs more these!

Jim,

Thank you! I really appreciate that you had time to have a listen.

All the best,
Noel

Dear "Noel96"...

"So Beautiful" is the musical equivalent of someone handing a flower to another, of a younger person deliberately taking the time to hold a conversation with an elderly person, of reading a book aloud to someone without the gift of sight, and other such selfless, bonding, and boundlessly loving actions.

Its brevity is analogous to the phrase, "short and sweet." No matter which way you "come at" a song, "Noel96", you seem to always to lead with your heart.

God bless you for composing and performing this inspired song for Al and Ms. Diane, sir!

LOREN

Hi Loren,

I always appreciate reading your thoughtful and eloquent comments. Thank you. You, sir, are what my Oxford dictionary defines most clearly and most accurately as a 'gentleman'. Now if only I had a voice like yours. The way you sing "Lately..." is just wonderful! (I'm yet to comment on it.)

My good wishes to you,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 11/25/18 03:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Noel,

the song title is a true characterization of the song itself: It's so beautiful. Very touching music and lyrics. I agree with everything that's been said by the other forum members - what a treat.

Cheers,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for dropping in. I very much appreciate that you took time to have a listen and to make a comment. Al and Di are a pretty amazing couple in my book.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Al-David Re: So Beautiful - 11/25/18 04:50 AM
Hi Noel,

Couldn't pass up another listen. I'm delighted Stefan brought it up to the top again so the newer members can bathe in the beauty of your talent. It's a gorgeous as I had remembered it being. You certainly humbled us, in a good way, with this musical creation and dedication. To simply know something this beautiful came from such a bleak report on her health speaks so appropriately of your ability to comprehend and and find the proper musical expression for such news. You will always be genuinely endeared to us, a fact in which we take extreme pleasure. Again, many heartfelt thanks. And you are always in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing you well.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Jim Re: So Beautiful - 04/15/19 12:41 PM
I came to hear this one again...
You certainly do write beautiful songs of hope...
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: So Beautiful - 04/16/19 02:33 PM
So Beautiful kind of sums it up!!!! Really a treat to listen to! Gorgeous!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 04/17/19 04:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Noel,

Couldn't pass up another listen. I'm delighted Stefan brought it up to the top again so the newer members can bathe in the beauty of your talent. It's a gorgeous as I had remembered it being. You certainly humbled us, in a good way, with this musical creation and dedication. To simply know something this beautiful came from such a bleak report on her health speaks so appropriately of your ability to comprehend and and find the proper musical expression for such news. You will always be genuinely endeared to us, a fact in which we take extreme pleasure. Again, many heartfelt thanks. And you are always in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing you well.

Alan & Di

Hi Alan and Di,

The song could not have happened without the two of you. It was a pleasure to be able to create something special for you both.

My thoughts continue to be with you both,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 04/17/19 04:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
I came to hear this one again...
You certainly do write beautiful songs of hope...

Jim,

Thank you for hunting this up and listening again. I sincerely appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: So Beautiful - 04/17/19 04:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
So Beautiful kind of sums it up!!!! Really a treat to listen to! Gorgeous!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the smile you just gave me !!! I really appreciate it.

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums