PG Music Home
Posted By: guitar1 The Long Way Home - 01/22/18 04:08 AM
Hello everyone. It has been a while since I posted anything. Good internet service is hard to come by on the road. I can surf a little bit, but an upload was not possible most of the time. I am posting a song that I wrote recently. I am just learning to navigate the 2018 upgrade, and the possibilities are intimidating at times, so I am struggling a little. Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas season.

[Link no longer valid]
The Long Way home

She sits quietly by the roadside in the heat of the day
keeping her lonely vigil while we're gone
she understands our passion and our need to roam
and why we always take the long way home

Chorus

sustained by the memories contained within her walls
though her shutters are battered and worn
In the springtime all our attention will turn her way again
but we'll still take the long way home

Verse two

Her worth can't be explained by the name she is called
or the mere definition of home
though we will always love her, it still can't be explained
why we always take the long way home.

Chorus two
She suffers in silence but she knows there 'll come a day
There will be no reason to roam
So she sits by the roadside and knows until then
we will always take the long way home

tag-- So think of us gently and know we'll come again
but we'll always take the long way home

Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Long Way Home - 01/22/18 12:28 PM
I enjoyed your wistful lyrics and vocal... its a warm and different take on homesickness ( as I heard it), with the home doing the missing!
Are you recording in an RV? Its cool that you can get down the travel insights as you go.

Robert
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: The Long Way Home - 01/22/18 12:44 PM
A wonderful plaintive quality to this song.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Long Way Home - 01/22/18 05:34 PM
So good to here from you Gary. Super tune. Excellent and vocal.. Loved it
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Long Way Home - 01/22/18 07:45 PM
Gary, I always enjoy your posts! Your songs just have a way of really grabbing the listener and pulling them in. Your vocal in this is perfect for this song and you have placed some really great chord changes in the chorus! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: guitar1 Re: The Long Way Home - 01/23/18 03:21 AM
Thank you so much, Robert.
I can thank my wife for the idea behind this one. We have installed a security camera system that allows us to check on our house while we are away, using our cell phone. While checking it a few days ago, my wife remarked that the house looked lonesome without anyone there. That got the wheels turning and this is the result. Thanks again and be well.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: The Long Way Home - 01/23/18 04:23 AM
Gary,

This is a really pleasant and easy-on-the-ears listen. I love the sincerity and honesty of your performance.

That inner rhyme of 'sustained/contained' in the first chorus is inspired lyric writing. It's definitely a standout!

I enjoyed this journey.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Long Way Home - 01/23/18 12:42 PM
cool tune. very bluegrassy in it's overall composition. I was thinking as I was listening, that this needed a more "organic" sound with acoustic instruments.....

fiddle, dobro, acoustic guitar, mandolin and acoustic upright bass. 5 instrument tracks, and necessary vocals. The vocals could stand to be lower and with a tad more high/mids in them. Do a low cut and it will clear them up nicely.

Good work.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Long Way Home - 01/23/18 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Gary, I always enjoy your posts! Your songs just have a way of really grabbing the listener and pulling them in. Your vocal in this is perfect for this song and you have placed some really great chord changes in the chorus! Thanks, Torrey

I agree with Torrey. You have such an authentic, endearing sound!! It's hard sometimes to use technology and not lose the humanity but you manage it superbly!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: guitar1 Re: The Long Way Home - 01/24/18 02:03 AM
Thanks so much, Marty. I am glad you like it.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: The Long Way Home - 01/24/18 02:06 AM
Thanks Scott. It is good to hear from you as well. I have been out of touch for a while. I could check in every so often but that is about it.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: The Long Way Home - 01/24/18 02:10 AM
Thank you Torrey. I always try to begin with as strong a lyric as I can. I read somewhere that if you don't engage your listener in the first few lines, they will move on. As a writer I don't want to be guilty of that. Thanks again, Be well my friend.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: The Long Way Home - 01/28/18 04:07 AM
Thanks Herb. Sorry I am taking so long to get back to everyone. I appreciate the feedback and the advice. All I have to do is import some new RT's into Sonar, but I am sure I am not telling you anything you haven't done a thousand times. I am also going to try your suggestion for the EQ. I am very seldom satisfied with my vocals. They always sound too husky to me. I think this might help. Several of my tracks suffer the same malady. Thanks again, and be well.
© PG Music Forums