PG Music Home
Posted By: Tom Joad Running Away From Love - 01/30/18 03:21 PM
Here is the first single from my album "The Endless Road" which was released in Oct 2016. Having initially recorded 12 backing tracks with BIAB and half way through recording the vocals I decided that the last 2 tracks weren't good enough. So I wrote this one instead - written, recorded, mixed & mastered within the space of 2 days. I Hope you enjoy it!!

https://soundcloud.com/tomjoad31/running-away-from-love
Posted By: Scott C Re: Running Away From Love - 01/30/18 05:10 PM
Cool tune Tom. Excellent vocal. Welcome to the forum. Reminded me of the song Mark Walberg (aka Brian Vander Ark) sang at the end of the movie Rockstar
Posted By: Al-David Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 07:06 AM
Hello Tom,

Welcome to the forum! There are many talented and generous people here. This is a really nice cut. I think that's a 12-string electric rhythm on the left channel - gives it a British flair!

Everything here sounds great. You did a real nice job putting this one together and then performing and producing it. Really nice!

Alan
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 08:23 AM
Hi Scott

Thanks for your kind words, they're much appreciated. I intend to put the whole album up, track by track, over the coming weeks.

Tom
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 09:28 AM
Hi Alan

Thanks, you're right - it is a 12 string!! I'm mainly a songwriter and producer, BIAB helps me to achieve a finished product.

Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 09:53 AM
Tom,

Welcome to the Showcase.

A pleasant listen. Good mix, nice vocals and harmonies. Nicely done.

fj
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 10:35 AM
Hi FJ

Thanks, glad you enjoyed

Tom
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 12:54 PM
Great work here, Tom - and welcome to the forums smile It’s a wonderfully written song, and does a good job of getting in your head right away. The mixing job on this is definitely commendable - it sounds extremely professional. Your vocals on this really sound top notch as well. Honestly, there isn’t much I’d change here.

Thanks so much hearing, and can’t wait to hear more from you!
Posted By: ROG Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 01:12 PM
Hi Tom,

Yes, welcome to the forums - a great song to kick-off with.

With that name, I was thinking - this guy's gotta be a Springsteen fan - so I had to
have a listen.

Not as much in that line as I was expecting - for a start the harmonica is much better!
You've created a super rolling backing track with a very professional vocal delivery.
The mix is excellent and everything is working as it should.
I enjoyed the whole thing. (twice)

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 01:18 PM
Hi Deryck

Thank you for your very kind words. I have to be honest and admit that it's not me singing but a very good friend of mine. I can't sing but I do write songs!!!

Tom
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 01:21 PM
Hi ROG

Yes I am a huge Springsteen fan and spent way too many years trying to write like him. But I'm British and therefore haven't got his experiences, so I gave up and decided to write "my" songs. Although I've leaqrnt a huge amount from his songwriting!!

Tom
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 02:15 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

This song is really fantastic. It has such a comforting feel to it, despite some of the lyrics! It's a really nice contrast! Great job.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 04:14 PM
Tom,
Welcome to the forum!
Love the harp and that 12 string is the perfect choice for the rolling sound you`ve created.
Very enjoyable song.

Robert
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 06:04 PM
Hi Ember

Thank you, you're thoughts are appreciated

Tom
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 06:05 PM
Hi Robert

Many thanks for your kind words

Tom
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Running Away From Love - 01/31/18 07:52 PM
Wow Tom! Doing it all in 2 Days is an awesome achievement! What a nice overall sound you’ve captured with a catchy tune! Nice to see you posting material here! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Running Away From Love - 02/01/18 11:11 AM
Very cool... and well done.

Welcome to the forum.

I didn't get a Springsteen feel from this.... I did get a Byrds feel from the 12 string, mellow groove, and the way the vox are set lower in the mix like rock tends to do.

good stuff.
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 02/02/18 07:57 AM
Hi Torrey

Thanks for your kind words, I'm hoping to put up more songs in the coming weeks.

Tom
Posted By: bluage Re: Running Away From Love - 02/02/18 02:50 PM
Mr. Joad...

Hmmm, let's see...Your last name is "Joad", the image attached to your song is a road, and you're "Running Away From Love". Interesting, seemingly vaguely related lines of information that somehow converge neatly into the junction of music and emotion that illuminates the soul of your song...

Musically speaking, I was enthralled by the shimmering aural sheen of the rhythmic acoustic guitars, the steady path the drums clear for the accompaniment of the other instruments, and the rising/falling, wave-like feel of your chord structure.

Vocally, your plaintive delivery of the lyrics understates the despair they seem to describe. Then again, there's a feeling of relief in your heart's confession.

This is a moody, somber listening experience made even more compelling by the tight, ear-entrancing quality of its production.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Running Away From Love - 02/02/18 09:42 PM
Tom,

Welcome to the forum!

You've got a great sound happening here. Competence radiate in all directions!

Enjoyed my listen!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Running Away From Love - 02/05/18 10:57 PM
Welcome to the showcase!! As a huge Steinbeck fan, I like the handle you selected. Cool song!! Like the whole vib. Harmonica works really well. Come back often! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: Running Away From Love - 02/06/18 06:16 AM
Tom

Really nice engaging song. A excellent listen.

Peter
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 02/06/18 07:29 AM
Hi Peter

Thanks, I'm pleased you enjoyed the song

Tom
Posted By: Tom Joad Re: Running Away From Love - 02/06/18 07:32 AM
Hi Greg

So glad you liked it, I have another song up at the moment and will be adding more over the coming weeks.

Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Running Away From Love - 02/07/18 02:54 PM
Excellent entry to the forum!

Rog stated our feelings very well.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
© PG Music Forums