PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Beyond The Ozone - Into The No Parking Zone - 02/05/18 02:49 AM
Beyond The Ozone - Into The No Parking Zone

How about a little psychedelic Guitar Rock? Silly title but I like it! Something a little different from me. I'm playing nothing - it's all BIAB real tracks, loops and effects. All the guitar effects are from BIAB plug-ins. No outside effects were imported. I started this last summer (2017) and finished it while Di was getting an MRI this past Friday (Feb 2, 2018) - finished it in the Dr's waiting room on my laptop. I put it into Audacity a couple of hours ago and here it is. And Brent Mason really came through for me! I'll have to pay him more next time.

I trimmed the highs on the drums and loops as much as I could without losing their dynamics. The ending could use a little more work.

It's loud - real loud!

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Beyond the Ozone - Into The No Parking Zone
File:Into The No Parking Zone.seg.SGU
Key=Cm Transpose to C#m, Tempo 140, Length (m:s)=3:03
4 bar intro, 100 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 104. Repeat x1 chorus

Style is _TRICAMP.STY (Tricky Spy Funk w Amplitube Bass)

BassCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
DrumsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
PianoCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
GuitarCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
StringsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
MelodyCustom Synth is Psych 1.tgs
SoloistCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded

RealTracks in song: 1692:Bass, Electric, CountryDrivin8thsTriads Ev 150
RealTracks in style: 1770:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovinChords Ev16 130
RealTracks in style: 1771:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovinMuted Ev16 130
Loop in Song: House-Techno-Trance\House - bliss_128_percussion_e_minor ev16.wav
RealTracks in song: 1720:Guitar, Electric, Soloist TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120
Loop in Song: PercussionFX\Titanium web - hard.wav
RealDrums in Song: FunkRock^01-a:Closed Hat, b:Open Hat

I can't remember which Loops I used for the intro and outro. I closed the file before saving it - DUH! But both are BIAB loops. When I go back and find them, will post them.
Really excellent sound. Excellent groove.

It sounds like a superb backing track. It doesn't really have a melody you can latch on to but it's got a great feel and vibe anyway. I really enjoyed this.

Peace,

Ian
Great Al.

Love this style.

I am going to use this one.

smile
Wow - this is unreal! It reminds me of certain psychedelic rock groups from the late 60's and early 70's. I love the rhythm here too. It fits perfectly with the swarm of distorted guitars. It has a ton of power behind, and the groove is fantastic. It isn't too often you hear something this different sounding created in Band-in-a-Box.

Great work, and thanks so much for sharing smile
Super cool, Alan!

I think I heard Carlos playing in there somewhere.

Excellent listening. Super mix. (Drums sound good - bass, too)

(I like your title).

fj
Originally Posted By: Ian Ferrin

It sounds like a superb backing track. It doesn't really have a melody you can latch on to but it's got a great feel and vibe anyway. I really enjoyed this.

Peace,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for those very kind words. And yeah - the melody is pretty much "loose". But, the chord pattern is consistent throughout. I know that "mellow" is a very unlikely description for this, but that's the feeling I got as I listened after I recorded it - "aggressive mellowness", maybe?! Thanks again.

Alan
Originally Posted By: Ian Ferrin

Peace,

Ian

David,

Glad you liked this "freaky" bit of music creation. I started it on a whim - no particular reason. And yep - go ahead and "use it". Thanks again!

Alan
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this is unreal! It reminds me of certain psychedelic rock groups from the late 60's and early 70's. I love the rhythm here too. It fits perfectly with the swarm of distorted guitars. It has a ton of power behind, and the groove is fantastic. It isn't too often you hear something this different sounding created in Band-in-a-Box.

Great work, and thanks so much for sharing smile

Deryk,

Thanks so much! I'm more than delighted you liked this. I don't think I've heard a similar BIAB song, either. Mixing this was a real challenge as it's a bit busy. But i guess it came out okay for the most part.

Thanks again.

Alan
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Super cool, Alan!

I think I heard Carlos playing in there somewhere.

Excellent listening. Super mix. (Drums sound good - bass, too)

(I like your title).

fj

Hi Floyd,

I was curious what your thoughts would be. I'm thrilled with your review! I really worked hard on the mix with this one. As I mentioned to Deryk, it's a little busy and it was no easy task keeping everything in, more or less, in it's place. i do wish I'd accented the drum fills a little more than I did.

It was a real trick to get the congas placed in the mix as just a small bit of adjustment either way (louder or softer) and they either nearly disappeared or almost took over.

Thank you for the kind comments.

Alan
YESS!
What a great production. Really cool. Pro use of BiaB-tracks. And your work on making Brent Mason sound like… well, Santana… or maybe BRENT MASON ;-)
What a ride!!!

Hell yeah, exposed...the trippy side of Al!

I kept waiting for that SoundCloud photo to start moving.

Nice piece of work here indeed. I lived through (survived?) that era but I wouldn't have a clue as to how to put this together...even having seen many of the classic psychedelic groups live and listened to a fair amount of the music.

This oughta be a good one for the music libraries.

Cool man!!

J&B
This is very interesting piece, very unique and original sounding atmosphere. Good be a nice one for a chase scene in a movie, even the guitar sounds bit like a fast driving car smile Great mix and arrangement.

Janne
FLASHBACK to those great jamming days of the late 60s. I loved the music from that era and this captures it perfectly!

Carlos and his boys are having a smoking good time! (take that any way you want)

Excellent demo of what BiaB can do.
Al,
Frenetic in a totally relaxing kind of way - you have channelled jams from some great guitarists there. Nice mix, the percussion really keeps this flying.
I like half the title!

Robert
Alan, you inspire me a lot! You are the type musician I could hang out with! This had me thinking Sugarloaf! Very hypnotic and mesmerizing piece! Thanks for keeping the music flowing Alan! Torrey
Alan

Loved it - really interesting and a great feel.I'm with David going try this style out.

Peter
Originally Posted By: molsenhouse
YESS!
What a great production. Really cool. Pro use of BiaB-tracks. And your work on making Brent Mason sound like… well, Santana… or maybe BRENT MASON ;-)
What a ride!!!

Thanks so much for the listen and nice words. And yeah - Brent came through pretty good for me. He put a lot of action into this.

Thanks again for the visit and very kind words!

Alan
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Hell yeah, exposed...the trippy side of Al!

I kept waiting for that SoundCloud photo to start moving.

Nice piece of work here indeed. I lived through (survived?) that era but I wouldn't have a clue as to how to put this together...even having seen many of the classic psychedelic groups live and listened to a fair amount of the music.

This oughta be a good one for the music libraries.

Cool man!!

J&B

Always great to hear from you two!Just call me "Trippy"! Ha!!!! laugh

And yeah, there was a lot of this music to be heard back in the late 60s into the mid 70s. I date this one about 1968. Some of Santana's album cuts were somewhat similar to this.

BIAB 2018 really helped me develop this from its BIAB 2017 genesis. This is probably the hardest I ever worked at mixing a song. But I think it ended up pretty good. I still need to smooth the transition from the song to the outro loop at the end of the piece.

Thanks for the great comments. Sure do appreciate them.

Alan
Alan,

You've just shown us all how very impressive BIAB can be in the hands of a very competent musical masseur.

This was a fantastic listen! The sound was great, the mix was excellent and the production sizzled.

It's definitely two very impressed thumbs up from me.

All the best,
Noel
groovy man.

nice blues jam
Love this! Although you used up your flanger quota for the month....

Power of real tracks!
Great sound and very nice title

Sergio
Wow Al.

Not quite what i expected from you.
A great bit of party music there.
Dancing in my chair.

Cheers.
Originally Posted By: jannesan
This is very interesting piece, very unique and original sounding atmosphere. Good be a nice one for a chase scene in a movie, even the guitar sounds bit like a fast driving car smile Great mix and arrangement.

Janne

Hi Janne,

Thanks for the listen and your encouraging words. Glad you enjoyed it! I liked your fast driving car analogy!

Alan
Originally Posted By: MarioD
FLASHBACK to those great jamming days of the late 60s. I loved the music from that era and this captures it perfectly!

Carlos and his boys are having a smoking good time! (take that any way you want)

Excellent demo of what BiaB can do.

Hey Mario!

Thanks a bunch! And I'm sure the boys were "smokin'"! I didn't see any empoy Marlboro Lights packs around anywhere, though! grin

Glad to take you back to the times! Best to you.

Alan
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,
Frenetic in a totally relaxing kind of way - you have channelled jams from some great guitarists there. Nice mix, the percussion really keeps this flying.
I like half the title!

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the listen and the kind words. I'm pretty sure i can guess which part of the title you liked! Like I said, it's kind of silly but it's a joke several of my friends and I bantered around back in the day. Someone would say "Man, that's beyond the ozone!" and then someone else would say "Yeah, it's all the way out to the no parking zone."

Thanks for the nice comments.

Alan
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Alan, you inspire me a lot! You are the type musician I could hang out with! This had me thinking Sugarloaf! Very hypnotic and mesmerizing piece! Thanks for keeping the music flowing Alan! Torrey

Hi Torrey,

You are much too kind, my friend! We native Missourians have a pretty handle on this stuff, eh??!! When someone says you inspired them, that's a huge compliment - thank you! Next time I get back to Missouri, maybe we can touch base. I have a good friend who lives in the same you do. That would be pretty awesome!

Bes5t to you.

ALan
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

Loved it - really interesting and a great feel.I'm with David going try this style out.

Peter

Thanks a bunch, Peter! Several folks have mentioned the "great feel" comment. Thank you for adding to that chorus as that's what I was hoping to accomplish. Glad you liked it! best,

Alan
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Alan,

You've just shown us all how very impressive BIAB can be in the hands of a very competent musical masseur.

This was a fantastic listen! The sound was great, the mix was excellent and the production sizzled.

It's definitely two very impressed thumbs up from me.

All the best,
Noel

Mr Adams,

"Musical Masseur+ - I like that moniker! Seriously, thank you so much. I always anticipate hearing from you regarding me music - an otherwise. I'll take those two thumbs up with a smile. Your very kind words pout a huge smile on my face - thank you again. Wishing you the best in all regards.

Alan
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
groovy man.

nice blues jam

Herb,

Sweet and to the point. I like that! Glad you liked the jam. Thanhks a bunch!

Alan
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Love this! Although you used up your flanger quota for the month....

Hi Eddie,

Cool! More than happy you loved it! Actually in already in debt for next month's allotment of flange, plus all of this month's! It was a fun journey to get to the end. You have no idea how many hours I tinkered with all those plugins! And then getting them all to work in unison. Many thanks!

Alan
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Power of real tracks!
Great sound and very nice title

Sergio

Sergio,

Thank you very much! Glad you enjiyed the song and the title! best to you.

Alan
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Wow Al.

Not quite what i expected from you.
A great bit of party music there.
Dancing in my chair.

Cheers.

Hi Rich,

yeah, I think this surprised a few folks! A little chair dancing is good for the soul. And yeah - party time!

Thank you very much. I'm delighted you enjoyed your listen. best to you,

Alan
Groovy man! Well done. Some fine psychedelic chops and vibes.
Alan,

WOW! Loved it! It sounds like late night AM radio in 1969... Very cool.

Bob
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Groovy man! Well done. Some fine psychedelic chops and vibes.

Thank you, Lawrence. I had a lot of fun with this - not what I usually do! Appreciate the listen and the nice words.

Alan
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

WOW! Loved it! It sounds like late night AM radio in 1969... Very cool.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Glad ya liked it! And who of us, in our age bracket, don't remember AM radio and all its lovely static! Thanks for the kind words!

Alan
Yeah!! Not what I'm used to hearing from you, but very cool indeed!

I love the music from the late 60s into the early 70s, the music evolved so quickly. It seemed every day someone else was pushing the envelope.

Awesome track, Alan, well done!
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah!! Not what I'm used to hearing from you, but very cool indeed!

I love the music from the late 60s into the early 70s, the music evolved so quickly. It seemed every day someone else was pushing the envelope.

Awesome track, Alan, well done!

Hi Loren,

Thanks for those really nice comments! I was simply playing around with some of the indigenous plugins and loops that came with BIAB 2018 and started getting some sounds I liked. And yews, quite different than my typical offerings! but it was a fun journey!

Thanks again for the kindness.

Alan
Hey Al,

Damn fine work !

It's your 'ol mate Shifty here, and as I'm thinking about buying a new rig, as my computer crashed, thought I'd check out BIAB . And who pops up ?

Great stuff mate. Really well done.

cheers, niteshift
Hi, Al !:))

Why do I keep hearing this
tune as a background to
some high octane passage in
an action film ?

WOW ! It just sits there
waiting to be picked up
by a film producer !!!!

Awesome !

Cheers
Dani
Hey Al,

Had another listen. Didn't realise you are mates with Carlos ! smile

Again, great listen.

cheers, niteshift
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Al !:))

Why do I keep hearing this
tune as a background to
some high octane passage in
an action film ?

WOW ! It just sits there
waiting to be picked up
by a film producer !!!!

Awesome !

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dabni,

I like your description - the high octane passage in a film chase scene. I could deal with that! Thanks for the great review!

Alan
Originally Posted By: niteshift
Hey Al,

Had another listen. Didn't realise you are mates with Carlos ! smile

Again, great listen.

cheers, niteshift

Hey Shifty!!!

What a surprise - and a very pleasant one at that! Man, so great to hear from you! Hope you're doing well down under. As it gets cold here, it's quite warm there. I guess I need to spend summers here and winters there. That would work!

BIAB has a relatively strong learning curve but it's well worth the effort, in my opinion. the key is to experiment time and time again.

Glad you liked the song - a little different from what I usually do. But the journey to the final product was fantastic! Carlos and Joe Satriani are pretty danged good - I'll take that analogy any day!

Hope to hear something from you soon. I've enjoyed your music for many years - what, 10 - 12 years?

Best to you, mate - you're one of my very favorites. Still smiling to have heard from you!

Al
Hey Al,

Good to hear from you bud, thanks for the props and they are returned double. smile

I hope to drop by as soon as I get the rig up and happening.

Best to you mate,

cheers, niteshift
Hello, Alan

Very exhilarating sound!
It makes me smile.
Latin percussion is really comfortable.
You are exactly a BIAB veteran.
You succeeded in drawing out 100% of the BIAB power.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Very cool psychedelic rock instrumental.
© PG Music Forums