PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker That's How The Story Ends - 02/05/18 05:25 PM
...or something like that.

This is some serious country music. It was intentionally kept a little more country sounding. It still rocks in a country way of course. See what you think.

I listened to Joanne Cooper's song "Diamond Blue Eyes" about a girl who can't seem to break the cycle she was stuck in with guys, and it gave me the inspiration to write this.

It's called: That's How The Story Ends

The band is:

Bass 518
Drums Nashville even 8
Guitars 362 & 365 acoustic
Fiddle 1760
Mando 1876
Steel 2540 & 2824
B3 689

All guitar fills and lead is live.
One vocal track with no layers and no harmony. (huh?)

Have a listen. Comment if you wish.

Lyrix:

I saw her walk in take a seat at the bar
order a drink,check the clock, lay down the keys to her car.
She looked like she was waiting, for someone to walk throught that door
Stares at the ring on her finger, it doesn't matter anymore.

There's a promise bout to break, it's love she can not fake
She'll tell herself again, she can keep him just as friends
welcome to the dark side, of lies and deceit.
She plays that role one more time ... that's how the story ends

She leaves her drink on the counter grabs her bag and heads to the door
with a change of mind and a change of heart, she's not playing that role anymore
there's too much to lose in a game she knows she'll never win
be careful about walking on water when the ice is so thin

There's a promise bout to break, it's love she can not fake
She'll tell herself again, she can keep him just as friends
welcome to the dark side, of lies and deceit.
She plays that role one more time ... that's how the story ends
Posted By: MarioD Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/05/18 05:47 PM
Herb this is absolutely fantastic. Great lyrics and a super vocal along with a super mix, you have just raised the bar for country songs!

I an not a big fan of the new Nashville country but I do like country like this.

Extremely well done and it's a keeper.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/05/18 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Herb this is absolutely fantastic. Great lyrics and a super vocal along with a super mix, you have just raised the bar for country songs!

I an not a big fan of the new Nashville country but I do like country like this.

Extremely well done and it's a keeper.

Glad you liked it Mario. I like to listen on my cans where I can hear the details in the mix. I'm thinking you may have done that too. This took a few days to write and mix.... I was making fixes and changes up to and even after I posted it.... in fact this is the latest version.

Thanks
Posted By: Robertkc Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/05/18 08:49 PM
Herb,
I enjoyed the story - details held my interest and well its real country, so we know there`s a truth coming in the chorus-you make it a good one!
I guess you could add harmonies but it has a live band sound to it this way.
I agree wth Mario-this is my kind of country.

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/05/18 09:37 PM
Herb this truly is real Country Music! You always offer interesting lyrics and produce a great sound! I like the way you made use of multiple instruments coming in and out to make this one happen! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 01:24 AM
Herb. This is just awesome. Loved the story. So glad my “Diamond Blue Eyes” inspired this great country song. When that chorus comes in it is just like sweet honey. Now you have inspired me to write a country song for FAWM. Thanks
Posted By: PeterF Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 06:02 AM
Herb

An excellent composition. Nicely played and performed.
A good catchy chorus and really nice choices for the instrumentation.

Peter
Posted By: Ian Ferrin Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 08:20 AM
It's a really good tune Herb. The lyrics are pretty perfect IMO for a story song. Really good all around.

Peace,

Ian
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 12:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Herb,
I enjoyed the story - details held my interest and well its real country, so we know there`s a truth coming in the chorus-you make it a good one!
I guess you could add harmonies but it has a live band sound to it this way.
I agree wth Mario-this is my kind of country.

Robert

Robert, I've always been a fan of the story songs. And I really love the country that used to play in the radio in the 70's and 80's....

Thanks for listening
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Herb this truly is real Country Music! You always offer interesting lyrics and produce a great sound! I like the way you made use of multiple instruments coming in and out to make this one happen! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks for listening.

The production is all in Sonar and I use automated volume envelopes in every track. It makes editing the fills and other things just so easy. And, it also lets me fade the endings perfectly.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Herb. This is just awesome. Loved the story. So glad my “Diamond Blue Eyes” inspired this great country song. When that chorus comes in it is just like sweet honey. Now you have inspired me to write a country song for FAWM. Thanks

JC.... yep, you never know what's going to spark the imagination for the next song. Sadly, I knew way to many girls with Diamond Blue Eyes through the years.

"When that chorus comes in it is just like sweet honey." I like that.... might be a song hiding in that quote somewhere.....

Thanks for commenting ...
Posted By: 90 dB Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 12:43 PM
Good stuff, Herb. Enjoyed it.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Herb

An excellent composition. Nicely played and performed.
A good catchy chorus and really nice choices for the instrumentation.

Peter

Peter, the hardest thing in mixing like I do it, is to decide what instrument to use because they all sound so good and fit so well. It takes discipline to pull those sweet tracks down.....

Thanks for listening
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Ian Ferrin
It's a really good tune Herb. The lyrics are pretty perfect IMO for a story song. Really good all around.

Peace,

Ian

Ian, I took your advice and played the guitar on this one. I still "cheated" on the acoustics for the sake of time. Seems so hard to get free time to do what absolutely needs to be done let alone having the time to do things I like to do.

Thanks for dropping in on this
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Good stuff, Herb. Enjoyed it.

Regards,

Bob

Bob, I kind of figured you might like this.... thanks for listening.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 12:49 PM
Wow - you nailed this! It reminds of old school country from the 70's. It sounds sincere and heartfelt - you can really hear the passion in both the instrumental and the vocals. I also really found the lyrics helped push it to the next level. You did an amazing job writing this. It makes it really relatable.

Great job here, and thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 02:55 PM
I don't much like country songs, but if I have to listen to one, this would be high on my list smile Beautiful melancholy melody, great arrangement and excellent mix, that bass is really strong.

Janne
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 05:37 PM
Really strong lyrics most people can relate to. Nice layering of textures with the fiddle and the pedal steel. Good job.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/06/18 05:41 PM

Great country sound, excellent performance as usual.
Sergio
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/07/18 10:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - you nailed this! It reminds of old school country from the 70's. It sounds sincere and heartfelt - you can really hear the passion in both the instrumental and the vocals. I also really found the lyrics helped push it to the next level. You did an amazing job writing this. It makes it really relatable.

Great job here, and thanks so much for sharing smile

Deryk, thanks...!! I love that old school Bob McDill composed country music.

Now that we're finally moved in at the farm and getting settled, I will have time to write and record quite a bit more than I did during last year. I was so busy moving, and getting things done here on the farm getting ready for the house and everything else that was going on..... I don't think I even turned on my DAW from late spring until the fall.....

But, I'm back..... as Jack Nicholson said in one of his movies.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/07/18 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
I don't much like country songs, but if I have to listen to one, this would be high on my list smile Beautiful melancholy melody, great arrangement and excellent mix, that bass is really strong.

Janne

"don't much like country songs"? huh? Well, I'm glad you took the time to "choke this one down" and have a listen. I really appreciate it when folks who don't necessarily like the style and genre take the time to listen and then comment.

Yep.... the bass is strong. Perhaps a bit. I need to run ARC on my studio and get it tuned more accurately to reflect what's really going on in the mix. Moving from one studio to a new one kinda throws you off a bit. Gotta relearn this room. Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/07/18 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Really strong lyrics most people can relate to. Nice layering of textures with the fiddle and the pedal steel. Good job.

Eddie, thanks for listening. I appreciate it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/07/18 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great country sound, excellent performance as usual.
Sergio

Thank you sir!!!
Posted By: tommyad Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/08/18 09:51 AM
Herb, I made a good living playing this kind of George Strait style country for many years. Good write and performance. The guitar adds a lot to this fine production and your editing on steel. mando,fiddle and B3 was exceptionally well done. My kind of song. Worth many listens, Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/08/18 11:04 AM
For us this harkens back to that, for us, golden period of Strait, Jackson, Chesnutt, et al — and maybe a bit further back on to Gosdin.

For us it has a live “small venue” feel to it that enhances the “tears in your beer” lyric. It’s very easy to visualize sadness of the story.

The band is hittin' the note and sounds well honed - both your performances and the BiaB guys.

We enjoyed it.

J&B

PS if you ever need or want a reminder of this era check out Chesnutt’s recent album “Tradition Lives.”

Posted By: floyd jane Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/08/18 12:24 PM
A good '70's Country sound to this. Your vocals work well for that era.

The mandolin is well placed and your guitar fills work well. A good mix here.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/08/18 12:33 PM
Good old country style song. Liked the story and nice job of putting it together. Alright!!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/08/18 02:03 PM
Hi Herb,

What I thought after getting to the chorus first time is "David Frizell doing an Alan Jackson song". That's pretty good company in my book.

Like Tom, I enjoyed a real nice lifestyle playing lead guitar on music like this for many, many years. this is legitimate, true country. Great arrangement and delivery. loved the band!

Alan
Posted By: dani48 Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/08/18 03:03 PM
Hi, Herb !

I liked this tune of yours
truly much ! True country
such as I´ll never be able to
produce !

You know that you are good at
this and it is your genré
would be really interesting
to hear you on other genrés
too !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/09/18 11:13 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Herb, I made a good living playing this kind of George Strait style country for many years. Good write and performance. The guitar adds a lot to this fine production and your editing on steel. mando,fiddle and B3 was exceptionally well done. My kind of song. Worth many listens, Tom

thanks Tom, yeah, I hear ya.... there was many hours spent on dimly lit stages playing all the "good" country music that folks loved so they could slow dance for a bit.

Glad you found something in it worth a few listens.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/09/18 11:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
For us this harkens back to that golden period of Strait, Jackson and Chesnutt — maybe a bit further to Gosdin.

It has a live “small venue” feel to it that enhances the “tears in your beer” lyric. It’s very easy to visualize the story.

And the band is fine - both your performances and the BiaB guys.

We enjoyed it.

J&B

PS if you ever need or want a reminder of this era listen to Chesnutt’s recent album “Tradition Lives.”

Thanks... I think I've seen you mention Chesnutt's Tradition Lives before. I'll need to check it out. I absolutely love "real country" music.

Thanks for listening and commenting.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/09/18 11:18 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A good '70's Country sound to this. Your vocals work well for that era.

The mandolin is well placed and your guitar fills work well. A good mix here.

Thanks.... I wasn't real satisfied with my vocal performance on this but it is what it is. They're not clamoring for my vocal abilities in the Ville.

I guess My playing of the guitar has to suffice. Thanks for listening...... and commenting.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/09/18 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Good old country style song. Liked the story and nice job of putting it together. Alright!!!

Thanks Belladonna. This song was inspired by another recent song in the forum. Another take on the story in that song. I appreciate your comments and time to listen. THanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/09/18 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Herb,

What I thought after getting to the chorus first time is "David Frizell doing an Alan Jackson song". That's pretty good company in my book.

Like Tom, I enjoyed a real nice lifestyle playing lead guitar on music like this for many, many years. this is legitimate, true country. Great arrangement and delivery. loved the band!

Alan

AL DAvid.... yep... that would indeed be excellent company. Thanks for listening and commenting... I appreciate it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/09/18 11:28 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Herb !

I liked this tune of yours
truly much ! True country
such as I´ll never be able to
produce !

You know that you are good at
this and it is your genré
would be really interesting
to hear you on other genrés
too !:))

Cheers
Dani

Dani.....

somebody once told me .... "Never say Never" almost anything is possible if you work on it. Things just don't generally magically happen, we have to lay the groundwork and put in the time to make it happen.

Regarding hearing me other genre's...... hold on to your hat.... there's an individual here in this forum putting something together that is going to be really interesting. I'm playing guitar on this particular project.... I don't know the time frame.... but it's actively working it's way through the process. It's probably one of the larger forumite collabs..... there's a number of players, writers, and producers on this, all from this forum. So.... keep watching.

Thanks for listening.
Posted By: rsdean Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/14/18 07:42 AM
Herb,

This is really excellent - I love the way you handled the vocal here - very straightforward and kept it uncomplicated.

The interplay between the mandolin, fiddle and B3 is perfect - really sets the right tone.

Much enjoyed.

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/15/18 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Herb,

This is really excellent - I love the way you handled the vocal here - very straightforward and kept it uncomplicated.

The interplay between the mandolin, fiddle and B3 is perfect - really sets the right tone.

Much enjoyed.

Bob

Bob... I almost missed this.... thanks for listening... I'm glad you enjoyed this tune
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/16/18 06:24 AM
Very nice, Herb, I like country songs that tell a story. Great hearing that live guitar in there too, that kicks it up a notch IMHO.
Mix sounds well balanced too, I'm listening on my studio headphones here.
Good to see you posting songs again!
Posted By: RichMac Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/16/18 06:55 AM
Hi Herb.

Very wholesome reassuring lyrics in the style that you do so well.
Super quality like all your songs.

Cheers.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/16/18 09:05 AM
This is nice and done very well vocals/track.

This is where some win a watch with BIAB as the strongest genre in BIAB is the country/cowboy/hillbilly one.

There are those who will argue against what I'm saying, but be truthful it is and always will be, harder to do songs in other genres and if you don't come from certain parts of the world (accent etc.).

Then you wouldn't do country/cowboy/hillbilly and sound good would you now..!
Posted By: RnAM Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/17/18 07:46 PM
Herb,

Very nice authentic country touch!
Love the mandolin.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: gruverider Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/18/18 07:15 PM
Wonderful write. And filled with tasteful flourishes. Production is top notch.

much enjoyed!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/19/18 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very nice, Herb, I like country songs that tell a story. Great hearing that live guitar in there too, that kicks it up a notch IMHO.
Mix sounds well balanced too, I'm listening on my studio headphones here.
Good to see you posting songs again!

I mixed this primarily on my Yamaha cans then checked it later on the reference speakers. I love the sound in the cans. It's good to have the time again to write and record.... hopefully this year will allow me the time to get some studio time on a regular basis.

Glad you like this.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/19/18 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Herb.

Very wholesome reassuring lyrics in the style that you do so well.
Super quality like all your songs.

Cheers.

Thanks Rich. I like to write positive songs every now and then...
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/19/18 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
This is nice and done very well vocals/track.

This is where some win a watch with BIAB as the strongest genre in BIAB is the country/cowboy/hillbilly one.

There are those who will argue against what I'm saying, but be truthful it is and always will be, harder to do songs in other genres and if you don't come from certain parts of the world (accent etc.).

Then you wouldn't do country/cowboy/hillbilly and sound good would you now..!

Beatmaster.... thanks for listening and commenting.

You're correct about a few of those comments. National accents are a factor, and if you're not familiar with a genre, yep... it can be hard to do it justice. However, you can study that genre and practice writing in the style/genre and get good at it regardless of your home country. Among other things, I write for film and TV and have a number of placements, but I don't try to write for rap and hip hop listings because I'm not a student of those styles and genres and if I did attempt it, the results would be less than stellar so I concentrate on the things I know and what I'm relatively good at doing. As a result I end up with a lot of my material being reviewed and some of those get placements.

BB can do many different genre's exceptionally well.... rock, country, bluegrass, funk, soul, new age and more. It goes back to what I said above... you have to know the genre and how it's written and put together in order to use BB effectively.

I've heard some really well done jazz, rock, folk, country, bluegrass, and some other styles and genre's here in the forum. We don't get a lot of funk or soul or new age, and almost no hip hop or rap.... but I have no doubt it can be done effectively with BB.

It's all dependent upon you knowing the genre well enough and knowing how to use BB effectively in that genre.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/19/18 12:16 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Herb,

Very nice authentic country touch!
Love the mandolin.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks for listening. That was a BB/RB real track mando. I love the sound of a mandolin and have one.... but I don't often play it. Mainly due to a lack of time or being in a hurry..... it's quicker to do a RT mando... it takes a few seconds to render..... vs, setting up a mic, tuning the mando, and figuring out a decent part.... then recording it. Could easily be an hour or three.....

real tracks make me lazy.....
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/19/18 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wonderful write. And filled with tasteful flourishes. Production is top notch.

much enjoyed!

Thanks for the listen.... I think the production part of this is one of my favorite things to do...... but I also love the playing of the guitar, the writing of the lyrics and music, the recording of the tracks..... etc....
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/21/18 08:00 PM
Cool tune Herb!! I could see a little parallel to Lyin' Eyes or 3rd Rate Romance. Well written, sung, and produced. Very nice!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Steve Young Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/21/18 09:18 PM
Now that's a good country song there! Nice job on the arrangement. Like the way the instruments weave in and out, and interact with each other. Well written. Good job.

Steve
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/23/18 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool tune Herb!! I could see a little parallel to Lyin' Eyes or 3rd Rate Romance. Well written, sung, and produced. Very nice!! Take care. Greg

Interesting parallels.... thanks for listing.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/23/18 10:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Now that's a good country song there! Nice job on the arrangement. Like the way the instruments weave in and out, and interact with each other. Well written. Good job.

Steve

Steve, Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/24/18 10:35 AM
In a sense, this is a timeless classic. If you were to have written this tune in time past, there are a number of classic country artists that would have scooped this up and danced all the way to number one on the country charts. You captured the sound, which to my ear, would have made the song a perfect match for "The voice" - Vern Gosdin...

Enjoyed my listen.
Posted By: dcuny Re: That's How The Story Ends - 02/24/18 03:14 PM
That was a pleasant listen on an early Saturday morning.

As a kid, I didn't really like country music, because on Saturdays it was time for working around the house, cued up by my Dad turning on KRAK Country Music Radio.

It's like someone turns on a switch and took me back 40 years.

In addition to great writing and an authentic voice, you've filled the song with sonic treats such as the mandolin and that nifty descending guitar break. Icing on an already delicious musical cake.
© PG Music Forums