PG Music Home
Posted By: firesong The River of Life - 02/09/18 03:12 AM
This song is one my daughter recorded for me about ten years ago...I just redid the track with BIAB and put her decade old vocals with it using a simple acoustic and bass from BIAB and some new keyboard and stuff...if you like harmony and key changes you'll love this...hope you enjoy...Dan

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4982108
The River of Life
words and music Dan Simmons
Vocals Amber Simmons-Eaker

There’s a river... that is flowing... from the throne room of a King
Deep and wide... ever growing... is the well from which it springs
Living water...freely given...streaming forth... in vast supply
Let’s go down to the river of life

There’s a Man down by the river...Who can heal a wounded soul
He will touch you and deliver...make you pure...make you whole
Beneath the water there’s healing power that can wash our sin away
Let’s go down to the river today

There’s a river that is flowing from the crown of thorns He wore
Down the cross that river’s pouring form the nail scars that He bore
Bruised and broken...torn and tattered...His precious blood poured down like rain
Let’s go down to that river again

There’s a river that is brighter than the sun up in the sky
Oh, it shines in crystal splendor just beneath the throne on high
Heaven's watered by this fountain that will never run dry
Let’s go down to the river of life
Let’s go down to the river...the river of life

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The River of Life - 02/09/18 06:42 AM
Great and very crisp, right from the start.

Clean and well presented vocal, the only comment I would constructively make is that perhaps the guitar sits a tiny bit too much in front, especially at the start of the song. I felt that this masked the vocals a little.

Nevertheless, the changes throughout the song give additional dynamics and quality. Very nice indeed.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The River of Life - 02/09/18 12:07 PM
Very nice job here, firesong. It's very pretty and gentle, which I found inviting. It sounds really heartfelt and sincere. The change ups throughout are wonderful too, and I found them to be unexpected. It gives it a wonderful dynamic.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: The River of Life - 02/09/18 03:36 PM
VERY very nice. Everything just works. All the pieces fit the puzzle perfectly.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The River of Life - 02/09/18 04:56 PM
nice song and well sung.

I agree that the vocals are too low in the mix. I'd add just a tad of EQ to brighten the vox as well.

Nice work and the key changes are a nice touch. Harmony is really nice.

This a nice example of country flavored southern gospel music. THis kind of thing is big in the southern baptist churches in this area.
Posted By: firesong Re: The River of Life - 02/09/18 05:04 PM
Thanks so much for the comments...I agree about the music/vocal mix...I think I'll remix and draw the guitars back a bit...great listen and insight...thanks...Dan
Posted By: firesong Re: The River of Life - 02/09/18 05:05 PM
Deryk...thanks for the comments...appreciated...Dan
Posted By: Scott C Re: The River of Life - 02/10/18 06:45 PM
Awesome vocal. Beautiful song
Posted By: bluage Re: The River of Life - 02/10/18 09:54 PM
Dear "firesong"...

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to listen to a post by someone from my home state!

First, and first of all, your lyrics express a solid, obviously unshakable faith that could cause a non-believer to begin questioning her/himself. They also summon an irresistible, shining vision of the world-that-is-to-come for those who do believe. And then, your daughter's voice comes out like the sun from behind clouds, beckoning His followers to the "river of life". If I closed my eyes I'd think she was an angel, singing like that. Her voice is as clear and pure as the "living water" she tells us about.

Whatever styles you employed -- Real or MIDI -- to deliver your hopeful message, they did so in the most serene and inspirational way possible. It's a no-brainer understanding why you wrote on your SoundClick page, "this song moves me beyond my ability to explain."

LOREN
© PG Music Forums