PG Music Home
Posted By: dcuny Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 07:19 AM
Here's my latest song. It probably needs to be remixed at some point, but my poor computer can barely handle the tracks - there are too many to play back in real time - so I'll give it a rest for the night.

As always, comments are welcome.

Just Turn Around

Now you're gone
Going down a road that runs forever
Moving on
East of the sun and westward of the moon

Traveling so far
Chasing after your wayward star
You lost the path
That leads you back

CHORUS
Just turn around
Just turn around
Someone is waiting for you
I'll light a candle to shine in the dark
You'll find me waiting for you

One more night
One more lonely night that's like a bad dream
One more day
One more day that never seems to end

REPEAT CHORUS

You are not alone
Your heart will guide you home

REPEAT CHORUS

Technical Details
Piano - ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
Guitar - Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent Ev16 085
Piano - Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 085
String Quartet - Rhythm PopChamber Ev 085

Drums - EZDrummer, Americana
Strummed Guitars - Session Guitars 1 & 2
Bass - Bass On Demand

Solo Violin, Horns, Oboe - Garritan Personal Orchestra
Vocal Processing - Waves Tune, Nectar Elements
Mastering - Ozone Elements
DAW - Reaper
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 07:42 AM
Nice! I think this is the first time I've heard your music.

Good song! Man, that chorus is great, I love what you did with the vocals there.

Enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 11:21 AM
Loved it! But too short!!
How about extending with an instrumental chorus repeating taking it out?
It has a very reflective nature, and I think that allowing the listener to savor a few more non-verbal choruses would be great!
I especially liked the orchestration--I can see how high-quality sounds like Garritan make a difference.
Let us know how you did the vocals--multiple tracks, or all done in processing?
I will be turning around and looking back today!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 12:08 PM
David,

This is a very enjoyable listen.

The chorus is excellent! Great sound. Nice vocals. Really nice orchestration...

Drums sound good, too...

Well done. There is something about this that brings to mind songs from the AM radio top 10 - late 60's maybe?

fj
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 12:14 PM
Outstanding. A wonderful listen.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 03:07 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice! I think this is the first time I've heard your music.

Good song! Man, that chorus is great, I love what you did with the vocals there.
Thanks, Dave!

I don't write songs very often, but I'm making an effort this year to do more. President's Day was Monday, and I carved out some time to finally put something together.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 03:45 PM
That is a great use of tracks from multiple sources. My head would be spinning trying to put that together.

Your vocal although singing an uplifting lyric has a slight melancholy feel that is very effective. And the harmony is very nice.

For us everything works with the production, the mix, the arrangement and as mentioned the vocals.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 03:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Loved it! But too short!!
How about extending with an instrumental chorus repeating taking it out?

You're right, it's too short. As a challenge to myself, this song didn't follow my normal workflow. I decided to use some of the VSTi's that I'd bought but never used. So I started with the drum part in EZDrummer.

Since the tempo was slow (about 80 bpm) I figured that it was best to try to keep the song short. But as it stands, the ending sort of comes to a grinding halt, and it's not really satisfying. So, original mission accomplished, but it should be fixed at some point.

Quote:
Let us know how you did the vocals--multiple tracks, or all done in processing?

Each vocal line was sung separately.

• 1 Soft + 1 Loud lead
  • 3 voices backing of the main lyric
  • 3 voices on the harmony

When I sang the initial vocal, I had a lot of problems with pitch - I scoop into the start of notes, and add vibrato at the end, which makes the sound pinched, unpleasant and flat.

Best practice is to re-record vocals, but that wasn't getting me anywhere. So I recorded a softer version of the lead vocal, which helped a bit.

I'd initially thought of doing an echo part along the lines of what the violin is playing in the last chorus, but then I remembered floydjane mentioning singing in thirds on top of the melody in a recent song, so I figured I'd try something like that. So that's where the harmony came from.

I typically use ReaTune to fix the vocals, but it just wasn't up to the task. I was going to try out Melodyne, but Waves Tune offered a number of features that didn't come with the affordable version of Melodyne, so I ended up using that. It was a bit difficult to install and get working with Reaper, and the small window is a bit of a pain. But I'm pretty happy with the results.

Thanks for the feedback! smile
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

smile

Quote:
Drums sound good, too...

Hah! I was thinking about you when I put together the initial track. I have all these lovely EZDrum sounds, and figured that I should make use of them. Not that BiaB drums are bad... I just needed to justify spending all that money on other things. wink

Quote:
Well done. There is something about this that brings to mind songs from the AM radio top 10 - late 60's maybe?

Thanks! I'm a sucker for that 70's overly-produced sound. As I added in the french horns, the lyric from Rupert Holmes' "Studio Musician" came to mind:

I am the strings that enter softly
Or three guitars that glitter gold
I am the thousand trumpet lines
That were an afterthought
Intended as a way to get a dying record sold

Thanks for listening!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Outstanding. A wonderful listen.

Thanks, Bob!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 04:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
For us everything works with the production, the mix, the arrangement and as mentioned the vocals.

Enjoyed it!

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you! smile
Posted By: PeterF Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 05:05 PM
David

I like the treatment of the vocal (I have similar issues) - they sound very nice in the mix.
Pretty song - well written and produced. Looking forward to a few more.

Peter
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
I like the treatment of the vocal (I have similar issues) - they sound very nice in the mix.

Hi, Peter.

One of the side-effects of using pitch correction software is that you can see exactly what kind of issues there are. Sadly, awareness itself isn't enough to make a problem go away, especially when they're deeply ingrained habits.

So in addition to trying to write more songs, I'll need to work on improving my singing so the pitch correction software doesn't have to work so hard. laugh

Thanks for the feedback!
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 06:27 PM
Hi Dcuny, Thank you for sharing this with us. Great progressions and harmonies with this! Really dig the piano. Well done!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great progressions and harmonies with this! Really dig the piano. Well done!

Thanks, Joe.

It's always pleasant to drop a BiaB track in and find that it's playing exactly what's needed in a song.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 07:18 PM
Hey David,

Really nice job on this! Orchestration, mix, vocals are all excellent. I think that's the most I've ever heard you sing. I didn't necessarily think it was too short.

I notice some thing you said in another post:
Quote:
Sadly, awareness itself isn't enough to make a problem go away, especially when they're deeply ingrained habits.

This directly speaks to the title of my latest song, and will eventually make you: "So Damn Good At Doin It Wrong" wink

Again, I very much enjoyed it!

Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
This directly speaks to the title of my latest song, and will eventually make you: "So Damn Good At Doin' It Wrong" wink

Hi, Greg.

I really enjoyed your song! Also, it reminded me that I really need to focus on polishing my hooks.

Thanks for you comments,
Posted By: Scott C Re: Just Turn Around - 02/23/18 11:01 PM
What a nice song David. Awesome vocal and harmonies. Super backtrack and excellent choice of realtracks. Very well done..
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/24/18 12:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a nice song David.

Thanks, Scott! smile
Posted By: kybordr Re: Just Turn Around - 02/24/18 12:58 AM
This is a really good song and recording. I’m particularly impressed with how many elements you have integrated without getting muddy. Kudos!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/24/18 04:22 AM
Originally Posted By: kybordr
Kudos!

Thanks, kybordr!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Just Turn Around - 02/25/18 06:21 AM
Great beautiful pop song, lovely chords progression with all those nice maj7 chords, excellent arrangement, I like especially the drums and violins. This has some nice Neil Finn vibe. And your singing is nice, I hope too that you don't have to use so much pitch correction in the future smile I'll be waiting for your next song.

Janne
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/25/18 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
And your singing is nice, I hope too that you don't have to use so much pitch correction in the future smile I'll be waiting for your next song.

Hi, Janne.

I see what you did there! laugh

I'm a big fan of the group America, and a sucker for that major 7th sound. And the BiaB string trio has a very lovely sound.

I've been trying something different with my songwriting these days. I typically start with lyrics, and then work out a melody and a (hopefully) interesting chord progression.

Now, I'm starting with a chord progression, trying to build a melody with a strong chorus, and then adding the lyrics.

I end up using much simpler chord changes which actually come across as better than before. Lesson learned.

That said, I changed the chorus from:

Dmaj7 | Dmaj7 | Gmaj7 | Gmaj7

to:

Dmaj7 F#m/D | A/D F#m/D |Gmaj7 Bm/G | D/G Bm/G

I don't really think of that as changing the chord progression, though - it's basically the same harmony. It was more a trick to get some additional movement from the strings.

Thanks for listening! smile
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Just Turn Around - 02/25/18 06:25 PM
This is a beautiful song, David! Really like your arrangement. All the orchestration works really well together. Very well thought out. I agree, it ends a little abruptly. Your voice sounds good, really fits this genre. This one is good enough to make the extra effort to redo your lead vocals without so much pitch correction (intended as a compliment). Great job on the harmonies. Very much enjoyed this. Would like to hear more like it!

Steve
Posted By: dani48 Re: Just Turn Around - 02/25/18 06:35 PM
Hi, David !

This is the best
I´ve heard from you
and that means it is
just fantastic !

Love those nice mayor 7th:s or 9th:s

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Just Turn Around - 02/25/18 06:51 PM
David, what a pretty sound!! To me a very late 70’s sounding pop tune! This to me sounds like something the group America would have done! It has a really pretty chorus in it! I could just hear Gerry Beckley singing this! Very nice work! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/25/18 08:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
This is a beautiful song, David!

Coming from you, that's quite a compliment! smile

Quote:
This one is good enough to make the extra effort to redo your lead vocals without so much pitch correction (intended as a compliment).

And taken as such, thanks!

My son is working on a remix, and I'll post that when he gets done. After that I'll put this aside, and revisit it later once I've got better control of my voice.

Speaking of redoing a song, I was sorry to hear about you losing your hard drive. I lost my backup drive last year, with years of family photos on it. Fortunately, I was able to find a service to recover most of them, but it wasn't cheap. So I feel your pain. frown

Quote:
Great job on the harmonies. Very much enjoyed this. Would like to hear more like it!

So would I. wink I'll see what I can do.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/25/18 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
This is the best I´ve heard from you
and that means it is just fantastic !

Thanks, Dani.

Even the 11ths are quite nice! grin
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/25/18 08:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
This to me sounds like something the group America would have done! It has a really pretty chorus in it!

Thanks, Torrey!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Just Turn Around - 02/25/18 10:44 PM

Hey Dave,

This is really awesome. What a beautiful production.

I can tell you put a lot of work into this. I like everything about the it, the vocals, the lyrics, the arrangement.

Super piece of work. So good to have posting!!

smile
Posted By: RichMac Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 04:59 AM

Loved this David.

Strong melody and tasteful harmonies.
Reminds me a little of some of my favorite King Crimson sounds (from long ago).

Tasteful indeed.

Cheers.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 05:38 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
This is really awesome. What a beautiful production.

Hi, David.

It's good to hear from you. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 05:39 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Reminds me a little of some of my favorite King Crimson sounds (from long ago).

Hi, RichMac.

I'm glad it brought back good memories for you! smile

Thanks for stopping by!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 07:09 AM
David,

This is excellent! A very cool song and great vocal - love what you did with the track selection and mix.

Bob
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
A very cool song and great vocal - love what you did with the track selection and mix.

Hi, Bob.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 03:34 PM
David,
I agree with all the kudos- this is very well done! Such a pretty melody on the chorus and your vocal doubles and harmonies work very well.Nice strings too.
I have the same issue with an underpowered computer struggling to handle all the tracks- in RealBand anyway - it sure makes mixing a bigger headache, so I admire your perseverance with this!

Robert
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc

I have the same issue with an underpowered computer struggling to handle all the tracks- in RealBand anyway - it sure makes mixing a bigger headache, so I admire your perseverance with this!

Hi, Robert.

Yeah, it's past time for an upgrade, but it's not in the budget.

Usually the CPU issue are the VST effects. I can typically render stems so that I'm working with a plain .wav file, but for some reason getting the Waves VSTs has been a challenge. I think I've got a workaround for that, but that'll wait for future productions.

Also, I've typically added the mastering effects after the mix chain. I think I'll change my workflow by rendering a final mix, and then do mastering as a separate process. That'll take a small load off the computer.

Anyway, thanks for the kudos! They're appreciated.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 08:55 PM
I'm late to the party, really glad that I could hear this and I agree with everything that has already been said. But am I the only one that heard a touch of The Beatles in this? That was the first group that came to mind when you started to sing, which BTW was absolutely outstanding.

You should write and sing more often.

I think this is the best you have ever done.

This is a keeper.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm late to the party, really glad that I could hear this and I agree with everything that has already been said.

Hi, Mario.

That's my line! There are too many excellent songs posted here, and far too few adjectives not already used by the time I get around to listening! wink

Quote:
You should write and sing more often.

blush I'll do what I can, thanks!
Posted By: gruverider Re: Just Turn Around - 02/26/18 09:35 PM
Bravo! Great song writing! Fill with engaging elements throughout.

A creative chorus and strong lyrics, lush instrument choices and flourishes, dreamy harmonies.

And the auto-tune/chorus effect on the vocal is a great choice. It reminds me of the band 10cc.

super job!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 02/27/18 01:06 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
And the auto-tune/chorus effect on the vocal is a great choice. It reminds me of the band 10cc.

Hrm... I'll definitely need to re-do the vocals at some point. I'm just no good at layering vocals! wink

Thanks for the positive feedback!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 04:47 AM
Hello, David

Very nice tune with great orchestration!
The beginning of melody is really good.
I am a big fun of orchestral sounds.
Your orchestration of solo violin, French horn, oboe is modest but very brilliant and comfortable.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: tommyad Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 09:41 AM
Man, This sounds really good. The vocals are excellent. Great melody throughout. The mix is just right. Love the drums. I liked every bit of it, Tom
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 01:40 PM
This is a really nice piece. I like the way it builds. Lots of good stuff here. I love the horns. Them and the strings give this a very ellegant sound.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Hi, Shigeki.

Thanks for having a listen - I'm glad you enjoyed it. smile
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Man, This sounds really good.

Hi, Tom.

Thanks! laugh
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 06:03 PM
David,

You've done a wonderful job with this.

The orchestration is fantastic... lush and very, very tastefully arranged. It must have taken hours and hours to get this so precise and so seamlessley integrated.

From start to end, my attention was focused on what I was hearing. When the ending arrived, I blinked because it seemed like I'd only started listening a few seconds earlier. I don't know how you did it but you managed to make time stand still for me for three minutes! Amazing!!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
I love the horns. Them and the strings give this a very elegant sound.

Hi, Samuel.

I love the horns, too! I also tried to sneak in an english horn - which is neither English nor a Horn - but I ended up using an oboe instead. Maybe next time.

Thanks!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
The orchestration is fantastic... lush and very, very tastefully arranged.
It must have taken hours and hours to get this so precise and so seamlessly integrated.

Hi, Noel.

Obviously, I tried to create a build and flow to the song. But I think another factor was the I put this song together backwards, starting with the backing tracks, then adding BiaB to sweeten it, figured out a melody, and finally wrote the lyric.

So I think that had a lot to do with how well the parts locked in together. Where a BiaB track sounded good, I turned it up, if only for a measure or two. Where it clashed, I just took it out.

Quote:
From start to end, my attention was focused on what I was hearing.

That's what every songwriter wants to hear, thanks! laugh
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great progressions and harmonies with this! Really dig the piano. Well done!

Thanks, Joe.

It's always pleasant to drop a BiaB track in and find that it's playing exactly what's needed in a song.

You're welcome! - Glad you're enjoying the program!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Just Turn Around - 03/02/18 10:58 PM
Nice!! I'm a sucker for soft rock. Love those sweet harmonies and the arrangement. Also a very pretty melody David.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 03/03/18 04:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Nice!! I'm a sucker for soft rock. Love those sweet harmonies and the arrangement. Also a very pretty melody David.

Thanks, Josie.

Glad you could stop by for a listen. I appreciate the kind words.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Just Turn Around - 03/03/18 07:08 PM
David,

We don't believe we actually ever heard you sing smile
We do remember some vocaloid like recordings in the past.
This is really good! A 70s/Dan Fogelberg kind of sound.
Beautiful harmonies as well.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 03/03/18 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
We don't believe we actually ever heard you sing

Hi, Rob and Anne-Marie.

That's 'cause I don't sound as good as you two. wink

I've actually sung on some other songs, but this is one where I've actually put some work into the vocals. So you haven't missed much.

Quote:
We do remember some vocaloid like recordings in the past.

Sometimes it's hard to find quiet time around the house. Right now, my daughter is doing dishes, my son is loudly and dramatically running a D&D campaign on his computer in the other room, and the heater is wooshing. I'm grateful for all of these, but it does make recording vocals difficult. smirk

Quote:
This is really good! A 70s/Dan Fogelberg kind of sound.

Thanks!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Just Turn Around - 03/11/18 08:12 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
David,

This is a very enjoyable listen.

Drums sound good, too...

fj

I agree with my friend Floyd. Excellent!!! I don't know that I've heard you sing before and now I wonder: WHY NOT??? Really beautiful, warm, feel good song. DO MORE!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just Turn Around - 03/13/18 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I don't know that I've heard you sing before and now I wonder: WHY NOT???

Hi, Greg.

In all honesty: thank goodness for pitch correction.

I'm an OK singer, but recording vocals has brought front and center many things I need to work on vocally.

Thanks!
© PG Music Forums