PG Music Home
A few years ago while working on a song together floyd and I discovered we share a

birthday. (March 4th) In an unusual moment of clarity, I realized this week that it also

serves as a code to live by. (March Forth!). We have posted collabs the past few years

to celebrate. This year it is a little different. Bud Merritt had sent me some notes on a

song he was working on using the words pier and peer. He wanted an island feel and I

immediately thought to bring in floyd and turn it into a duet. I knew that both floyd and I

have spent many wasted hours with beers in hand at the famed sunset celebration at

the pier in Key West called Mallory Square, so we used that as the setting. With Bud’s

OK we decided to use this as our annual birthday post. Of course Janice was willing to

help out with harmonies. To make an already long story short, here it is.

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/pier-pressure

https://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

Style is _ISLANDP.STY

RealTracks in style: ~~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1564:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm IslandJohn Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 1175:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1177:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 2670:Pedal Steel, Background HippieTrainEddy Ev 110
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: PopCalypso^1-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 1797:Piano, Rhythm IslandJohn Ev 110
RealTracks in song: ~2201:Guitar, Nylon, Background CountryBrent Ev 120

Recorded in Logic Pro X
Plug Ins : Nectar 2, Neutron 2, Ozone 8, Tonal Balance, Waves LinMB, Waves, L3-LL Multi Limiter

PIER PRESSURE

I don't feel the need to intercede
Y'ALL can right the ship
i might get loud, but i don't follow the crowd
ain't in nobody's grip
I make my own decisions
when I cast my vote
You can leave me here
I’ll just drink my beer
don't feel i'm missing the boat

always going along to get along
how'd we all get there
That little voice inside of me asking
do you really care

Yeah I’ve been giving in to pier pressure
I join my friends for a drink at Mallory Square
as long as the beach is within reach
there's treasure
Let’s have another rum
before the setting sun
THAT'S pier pressure

my Facebook friends with their latest trends
tend to bring me down
I don’t wanna text what happens next
my every mis-step making the rounds
If they want to give their opinion
i’ll tell them where to go
I won't post what i eat
try not to tweet
and pull my hat down low

always going along to get along
how'd we all get there
That little voice inside of me asking
do you really care

Yeah I’ve been giving in to pier pressure
I join my friends for a drink at Mallory Square
as long as the beach is within reach
there's treasure
Let’s have another rum
before the setting sun
THAT'S pier pressure

drink 'em down
here comes another round
that's pier pressure

2018 B. Merritt/ T. Adams/ floyd jane
Happy Birthday, bro!

J&B - smile thanks!
Nice one, guys, and happy birthday!

Vocals are great, I think Tom is the first vocal, then Floyd the second? And I love the harmonies too of course.

Nice mix too!

BTW, no such thing as a wasted hour if you have a beer in your hand IMHO wink
Wow - what a tune! There isn't anything I didn't enjoy about this. It's wonderfully catchy, got a great groove, and both of your vocal performances are seriously on point. I'm getting a Highwayman sort of vibe here - which is definitely a good thing in my books. It showcases a clear understanding of songwriting, and is overall just a great tune.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile
Tom,Floyd,J&B,
Everything about this is kicking-back fun! Nice to hear the "brothers" trading verses and Janice adding her warmth on the chorus.
I love the humour in the lyrics- especially this nugget:
"I won't post what i eat
try not to tweet
and pull my hat down low"
Jimmy Buffet`s got nothing on you guys - Happy Birthday!

Robert
This is such a cool way to celebrate a birthday together! You guys did a really great job on the vocal performances. Happy birthday guys (a few days early), and hope it treats you well!
Happy Birthday fellow March babies! Made me smile! Always up for some Jimmy Buffet influenced island beer and snark. You three (four counting Bud) always sound good together. I enjoyed it a lot.
Tom,floyd,Janice & Bud

Happy birthdays.

Well that was a treat. Great work from all involved. Super engaging, comfortable, catchy and fun.
Loved the mix of vocalists, lyrics, harmonies and and excellent backing track.
Top song.

Peter
Happy Birthday Tom and Floyd. Loved this tune. Super vocal and backtrack. Has the Jimmy Buffett feel.. Guitar was excellent.
@Dave - this Bud's for you!

@Deryk - Highwayman...cool...

@Robert - thanks!

@Ember - no one I'd rather share a birthday with! Thanks for dropping by..
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Happy Birthday, bro!

J&B - smile thanks!

Back at ya! Let's have many more!
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Vocals are great, I think Tom is the first vocal, then Floyd the second? And I love the harmonies too of course.

Nice mix too!

Dave, You are correct on three counts. That was me on the 1st verse, floyd on the 2nd, and beer is a good thing. Thanks, Tom
Cool collaboration. It has a lovely island vibe that would make Jimmy Buffet smile. Now I need some rum. Cheers and Happy Birthday.
I came for the Pun, I stayed for the song.
Some really cool TROP-ROCK.

This has a definite Jimmy Buffet sound, groove, vibe, to it.

It was so good I had to go back for another round. I have a few Corona's in the fridge.... kinda makes me wanna grab one.

I love the twist of the phrase...... pier pressure. Perfect.

All very together (prosody).

Very good lyrics and sentiments to live by.
I could imagine this as part of Jimmy B's repertoire.
Not that it needs any improving.
Great as it is.
Thumbs up.

Cheers.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Nice mix too!

Particularly if it is a handcrafted IPA from a small brewery smile

Janice said thanks for mentioning the harmony.

Bud
I love birthdays where you give gifts to us. Like Josie, it made me smile, too. laugh
Hello, Tom, floyd, Janice & Bud,

A very nice collaboration!
Super vocals and harmonies!
It is very well mixed everywhere.
Very comfortable!
I have little knowledge about island style, but it is a very happy and good sound.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.
Happy birthday, Tom and floyd,

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - what a tune! There isn't anything I didn't enjoy about this. It's wonderfully catchy, got a great groove, and both of your vocal performances are seriously on point. I'm getting a Highwayman sort of vibe here - which is definitely a good thing in my books. It showcases a clear understanding of songwriting, and is overall just a great tune.

Deryk, thanks so much for stopping by and giving it a listen. All four of us appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Tom,Floyd,J&B,
Everything about this is kicking-back fun! Nice to hear the "brothers" trading verses and Janice adding her warmth on the chorus.
"I won't post what i eat
try not to tweet

Robert

Thanks Robert. Glad you liked it. If I remember correctly the first two lines you quoted were floyd's and the hat line was Bud. Those guys always make me laugh, Tom
Happy birthday Tommy and Floyd!
Nice song too!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

Thanks Deryk. We had a blast working with Tom and floyd on this!

J&B
Happy Birthday gentleman !

Wonderful all around by everyone

you guys are the high shining beacon of light!

great musicians, super song

enjoyed,

Kenny
Janice, Bud, Tom and floyd,

'Outstanding' is a word that I regularly type when I respond to one of your posts on the forum. It seems that no matter how much I use it, though, this word never gets tired in my mind. Time after time, the compositions, performances and productions that are left in the wake of each of your individual creativities are outstanding. And with "Pier Pressure", yet again you've all comfortably jumped that often admired bar of achievement that separates the 'cream of the crop' from the 'rest of world'. I sit here at my computer in Australia and marvel at the consistency of your work.

The lyrics and the lyric flow are fantastic! I don't know how these words grew but the finished product travels along like greased lightning and with highly focused attention to lyric detail. I loved the way that the pun 'pier/peer pressure' developed.

In these lyrics, what stood out most to me was the way with which the inner rhymes worked in conjunction with the end-of-line rhymes and accented that laid-back, rock-meets-swing lilt that's often found in Caribbean/Island styled music. That...

• A A
    B
    C C
    B

...rhyme pattern found in the first four lines of each of the verses is the stuff of genius. This pattern also helps to drive the tongue-in-cheek humour that radiates from these words.

Something that I discovered a while back but have never tried is that if rhymes are plentiful and happen in quick succession, they can enhance any comedy that's present in the words. The master of this technique was Cole Porter. Have a look at and listen to his lyrics for "Your The Top" (Youtube link) and I think you'll see what I mean. While Porter also uses clever lists that anticlimax (i.e. Mickey Mouse, cellophane, etc.) to deliver laughs, rhyme-flow is the generator that paces and powers the lyric humour.

Originally Posted By: Cole Porter
(a lyric excerpt)

You're the top! You're the Colosseum,
You're the top! You're the Louvre Museum,
You're a melody from a symphony by Strauss,
You're a Bendel bonnet, a Shakespeare sonnet,
You're Mickey Mouse.

You're the Nile, You're the Tower of Pisa,
You're the smile on the Mona Lisa.
I'm a worthless check, a total wreck, a flop,
But baby, if I'm the bottom,
You're the top!

(Full lyrics found here)

As I see it... with "Pier Pressure", just like Cole Porter, Merritt/Adams/Jane have shown us all how it's done! Outstanding!

Last, and most important... Tom and floyd, I wish you both a sincere and enthusiastic...

...may you enjoy many, many more as you both march forth into the years to come! (Thanks for the 'march forth' pun, Tom, I'd never have stumbled onto it myself.)

Best wishes to everyone,
Noel
Sometimes the stars align perfectly in the sky over the Pier called Mallory Square. The right day, the right beer and the right group of friends. Magic happens.

For those stars to be the BIAB Forum superstars, B&J, Tom and Floyd and on their BIRTHDAY to boot ---

Nothing else could come of such a happening except the perfect song to commemorate it.

Excellent job and enjoyable song to listen to this morning.

Happy Birthday to you guys and thanks for sharing it with us in song....
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This is such a cool way to celebrate a birthday together! You guys did a really great job on the vocal performances. Happy birthday guys (a few days early), and hope it treats you well!
Ember, Thanks for listening and for the birthday wishes, Tom
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Happy Birthday fellow March babies! Made me smile! Always up for some Jimmy Buffet influenced island beer and snark. You three (four counting Bud) always sound good together. I enjoyed it a lot.
Well hey there March Mama, sure am glad you were able to check in on this one. It was fun for all of us, Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom,floyd,Janice & Bud

Happy birthdays.

Well that was a treat. Great work from all involved. Super engaging, comfortable, catchy and fun.
Top song.

Peter
Peter, We are glad you liked it. Your opinion is highly valued, Tom
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Happy Birthday Tom and Floyd. Loved this tune. Super vocal and backtrack. Has the Jimmy Buffett feel.. Guitar was excellent.
Scott, Thanks for stopping by and giving it a spin. The guitar track was that Brent Mason nylon real track, one of our favorites, Tom

Great collab y'all! And Happy Birthday!

Love the title, hook, mix, vocals, everything.

Just a great song. Love it!
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Tom,Floyd,J&B,
"I won't post what i eat
try not to tweet

Robert

Hey Robert, you can throw some ideas at Tom or floyd and, man, they're off and running. I was thrilled to be along for the ride. smile

Bud
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Cool collaboration. It has a lovely island vibe that would make Jimmy Buffet smile. Now I need some rum. Cheers and Happy Birthday.
SD, Thanks for the birthday wishes and thanks for dropping by, Tom
Originally Posted By: Mikke - PG Music
I can see by your signature line you enjoy a good pun. Thanks for listening, Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

It was so good I had to go back for another round. I have a few Corona's in the fridge.... kinda makes me wanna grab one.

Herb, We're glad you liked it, Tom
A late Happy Birthday to both of you. Mine is coming up real soon - March 22. I'll be 71 - yikes!!!

Love when the birthday guys give us a gift, and such a great one! never been to Key West but it's on my bucket list! great job on this - lots of fun and some great entertainment.

Alan
@Sundance - thanks...

@Peter - thanks for all of that from all of us...

@Scott - thanks for having a listen...

@Samuel - appreciate the listen...

@Mikke - HA!

@Herb - save one for us!

@Richard - thanks fro the thumbs...
Great song, puts me on the beach laying back in chair!!!!
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

Originally Posted By: Sundance

Thanks y’all. Janice enjoyed singing on the project and I had a blast writing with these guys. I learned a lot.

Bud
Originally Posted By: RichMac

Great as it is.
Thumbs up.

Cheers.
Thanks a lot, Tom
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I love birthdays where you give gifts to us. Like Josie, it made me smile, too. laugh
Thanks David. We had a lot of fun with this one, Tom
Originally Posted By: animarorecords

Very comfortable!
I have little knowledge about island style, but it is a very happy and good sound.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Shigeki Adachi, Thank you for the nice comments and the birthday wishes, Tom
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Nice song too!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Thanks, We appreciate it, Tom
@David - smile

@Shigeki Adachi - we all say "Thanks!"

@RnAM - glad y'all stopped by...

@Kenny - good to see you!

@Noel - We ALL LOVE! to be compared to Cole Porter!!!! smile smile smile
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom,floyd,Janice & Bud

Happy birthdays.

Top song.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I got lucky with this one. Nearly tossed the idea. These guys turned it into a real song!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thanks Scott...yep, it has Buffett written all over it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

enjoyed,

Kenny
Thanks Kenny, Glad to hear from you, Tom
Originally Posted By: Noel96

'Outstanding' is a word that I regularly type when I respond to one of your posts on the forum. It seems that no matter how much I use it, though, this word never gets tired in my mind. Time after time, the compositions, performances and productions that are left in the wake of each of your individual creativities are outstanding. And with "Pier Pressure", yet again you've all comfortably jumped that often admired bar of achievement that separates the 'cream of the crop' from the 'rest of world'. I sit here at my computer in Australia and marvel at the consistency of your work.

The lyrics and the lyric flow are fantastic! I don't know how these words grew but the finished product travels along like greased lightning and with highly focused attention to lyric detail. I loved the way that the pun 'pier/peer pressure' developed.

In these lyrics, what stood out most to me was the way with which the inner rhymes worked in conjunction with the end-of-line rhymes and accented that laid-back, rock-meets-swing lilt that's often found in Caribbean/Island styled music. That...

• A A
    B
    C C
    B

...rhyme pattern found in the first four lines of each of the verses is the stuff of genius. This pattern also helps to drive the tongue-in-cheek humour that radiates from these words.

Something that I discovered a while back but have never tried is that if rhymes are plentiful and happen in quick succession, they can enhance any comedy that's present in the words. The master of this technique was Cole Porter. Have a look at and listen to his lyrics for "Your The Top" (Youtube link) and I think you'll see what I mean. While Porter also uses clever lists that anticlimax (i.e. Mickey Mouse, cellophane, etc.) to deliver laughs, rhyme-flow is the generator that paces and powers the lyric humour.

(a lyric excerpt)

You're Mickey Mouse.

You're the top!

(Full lyrics found here)

As I see it... with "Pier Pressure", just like Cole Porter, Merritt/Adams/Jane have shown us all how it's done! Outstanding!

Last, and most important... Tom and floyd, I wish you both a sincere and enthusiastic...

...may you enjoy many, many more as you both march forth into the years to come! (Thanks for the 'march forth' pun, Tom, I'd never have stumbled onto it myself.)

Best wishes to everyone,
Noel
Noel, Your reviews are always so informative and educational. We all are thankful for your kind words and your willingness to share your knowledge, Tom
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Sometimes the stars align perfectly in the sky over the Pier called Mallory Square. The right day, the right beer and the right group of friends. Magic happens.

For those stars to be the BIAB Forum superstars, B&J, Tom and Floyd and on their BIRTHDAY to boot ---

Nothing else could come of such a happening except the perfect song to commemorate it.

Charlie, Thank you so much for your extremely generous comments. We are very appreciative, Tom
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Great collab y'all! And Happy Birthday!

Love the title, hook, mix, vocals, everything.

Just a great song. Love it!
David, Thanks. Glad you liked it, Tom
Originally Posted By: Al-David
A late Happy Birthday to both of you. Mine is coming up real soon - March 22. I'll be 71 - yikes!!!

Love when the birthday guys give us a gift, and such a great one! never been to Key West but it's on my bucket list! great job on this - lots of fun and some great entertainment.

Alan
Alan, Thanks for dropping by and giving it a spin, Tom
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Great song, puts me on the beach laying back in chair!!!!

cliftond, Thanks for listening and commenting, Tom
All, great song! Very clever and wonderful production / delivery.

Enjoyed!

Bob
Originally Posted By: rsdean
All, great song! Very clever and wonderful production / delivery.

Enjoyed!

Bob
We all thank you Bob, Tom
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis

Originally Posted By: Mikke - PG Music

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Originally Posted By: RichMac

Great as it is.
Thumbs up.

Thanks y'all. We are proud to be a small part of this!

J&B
@Charlie - thanks for all the nice comments!

@David - glad you stopped by...

@Alan - There's no other place like Key West! Gotta go!

@cliftond - thanks!

@Bob - good to see ya!
Great lyrics!!! Love the song and congratulations to all!

Now where can I find that bar? I'd like to put about 190 pounds of pressure on that pier!
Great track. I really enoyed ot.
What a gem!!! Too bad Buffett doesn't do many covers.....this is PERFECT for him! Love the clever use of Pier Pressure. Everything in this song could not be done any better!!!

tend to bring me down
I won't post what i eat
try not to tweet
and pull my hat down low

AMEN!!!!!! Love it guys!! Happy Birthdays and MARCH FORTH!!!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Great lyrics!!! Love the song and congratulations to all!

Now where can I find that bar? I'd like to put about 190 pounds of pressure on that pier!
Thanks Lawrence. You would like Key West if you've never been. It's one of the great American drinking towns, Tom
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Great track. I really enoyed ot.
Thanks SD, Tom
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
What a gem!!! Too bad Buffett doesn't do many covers.....this is PERFECT for him! Love the clever use of Pier Pressure. Everything in this song could not be done any better!!!

tend to bring me down
I won't post what i eat
try not to tweet
and pull my hat down low

Thank You Greg. We all value your opinion, Tom
@Lawrence - glad you stopped by...

@SD - thanks...

@Greg - we appreciate that...

Tom - A big THANKS for all your work on this - for carrying the heavy load!...

Bud - A huge THANKS for letting us join you on this...

Janice - You are the BEST!
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: animarorecords

Very comfortable!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki!

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Nice song too!

Rob and Anne-Marie

It was fun...thanks

J&B

Originally Posted By: 44kfl

enjoyed,

Kenny

That's very thoughtful of you Kenny. Nice to hear from you!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Noel96

• A A
    B
    C C
    B

(a lyric excerpt)

You're Mickey Mouse.

You're the top!

(Full lyrics found here)

Best wishes to everyone,
Noel

Noel, as always I read your response with great interest. I'm glad you like the pier/peer notion because with only a couple of other general ideas that's about all I (Bud) contributed. But I will revel in your wonderful comments anyhow smile

Thank you so much!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Charlie, thanks for your kind remarks and continued support. We consider it a privilege and a pleasure to work with these guys.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

tend to bring me down
I won't post what i eat
try not to tweet
and pull my hat down low

Thanks Greg. It was cool working with Tom and floyd - more like just being along a for a fun ride!

J&B
Tom, Floyd, J&B, Mr Buffet would certainly be proud to call this one his! Great work by all! To me it sounds that you have captured the vibe you were going for in this one! Thanks, Torrey
Sounds great to me. Nice collab.

SD
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Tom, Floyd, J&B, Mr Buffet would certainly be proud to call this one his! Great work by all! To me it sounds that you have captured the vibe you were going for in this one! Thanks, Torrey

Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Sounds great to me. Nice collab.

SD

Thanks y'all -- these collaborators make me look like a writer...hahahahha!

Glad you liked it.

J&B
Nice play of words & a good job on the collaboration & production... really a cool song!
© PG Music Forums