PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/04/18 07:22 PM
SO, just for laughs I saw SongTradr was looking for a Neil Young replacement with a 24 hour turnaround. I said "Let me see how fast I can do this."

I do not pretend this is my best work, but it was two hours from seeing the request to posting the tune and I was laughing the entire time, so at least it was fun. Can we call March Neil Young songwriting month???

https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs2/harvest-moongirl

Harvest Moongirl

By David Snyder

Well I’m driving to Alabama
With a crazy look in my eyes
Don’t know if I’ll make it this evening
But maybe by sunrise

CH:

Cause I miss you baby
And the good life that we had
And I want your honey
You know I miss it bad
I miss it bad
I miss your honey
I miss it bad

Bridge

And when we climb aboard the silver spaceship
With the full moon in our eyes
Will you tell me that I’m the old man
Sing me a song that makes me cry
Will you talk about the needle
Or will you talk about the silver spoon
Will you dream about Laurel Canyon
Or will you dream about the Harvest Moon
The Harvest Moon
The Harvest Moongirl
The Harvest Moon
The Harvest Moongirl

V2

They don’t want me back in Canada
They say they’re glad that I am gone
They tell me I can’t sing at all
But I just wrote you this song

CH:

Cause I miss you baby
And the good life that we had
And I miss your honey
You know I want it bad
I want it bad
I want it bad
I miss your honey
And I want it bad

Tag:

So I’m driving to Alabama
With a crazy look in my eyes
I might not make it by this evening
But maybe by sunrise

Words and Music by David Snyder copyright 2018/ASCAP/Day of Faith Records

Performed by David Snyder

File: Harvest Moongirl.SGU

Key=C, Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=2:56

Style is _CLOUDED.STY (Clouded Songwriter Folk)

RealTracks in style: ~2478:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 110
RealTracks in style: ~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~1119:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 408:Guitar, Resonator, Background Allis Ev 120
RealDrums in style: BrushesFolk16ths: a: Brushes b: Brushes Tap

Posted By: cliftond Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/04/18 07:31 PM
You hit every button on the radio with this one David, Neil would have to listen hard to be sure it wasn't him. HAHA Great job buddy!!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/05/18 03:19 AM
David,

I saw that opportunity and wanted to put something together for it, but just didn't have the time. I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Sounds remarkably like NY. You're spot on with this. Your mixes are always so clean - no exception here. yeah - great song and perfect for the opportunity. Good luck!

Alan
Posted By: RichMac Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/05/18 06:08 AM

Hi David

Amazing what you can do in 2 hours.
Wanders a bit.
Like Neil Young.
Very clever.

Cheers.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/05/18 08:07 AM
Two hours?! Man!!!

Brilliant the way you took pieces from various songs of his, added your own stuff, and made a totally new Neil Young song out of it.

I've been a fan of his ever since his Buffalo Springfield days, brilliant songwriter IMHO. His hometown, Omemee, is just about a 10 minute drive from where we live. He did a concert there last december, invite only though so no chance of getting to see him.

But, I digress! Great stuff David as usual, I enjoyed it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/05/18 12:06 PM
"They don’t want me back in Canada
But I just wrote you this song"

Hilarious!

Always enjoy your hurry-up-and-get-er-done songs!

If you haven't read "Waging Heavy Peace" you need to. You and Neil could have some great conversations, no doubt...

fj
This song was so funny! I can't believe you did it in two hours, though. That's so insane. I definitely wouldn't be able to do that, and I am so floored that you were able to. Very impressive considering the turnaround time.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/05/18 01:38 PM
Nice tune. I had seen that listing too. Thought it sounded interesting but havent had the time to put anything together.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/05/18 06:09 PM
Definitely has that Neil Young Vibe going on.
Rob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/05/18 09:36 PM
David,

Outstanding! Great, great song. Love the everything about it.

Bob
Wow - very well done, David smile As others have mentioned, the Neil Young influence comes through strong on this one. Your vocal performance is so strong and sincere in this one. You almost force an intensive listen through your vocals. Not to mention, you came up with some outstanding lyrics on this one.

Great job - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/06/18 12:49 PM

hahahahaha...perfecto.

Two hours? It takes me that long to drink enough coffee to just think about putting a new production together.

Alabama? Hey now, that got Skynyrd all fired up smile

Cool and two hours or two days...it's most excellent!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/06/18 06:19 PM
David

Love all the song quotes - very clever lyric. Nice backing and performance.
An enjoyable "tribute".

Peter
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/06/18 09:13 PM
David,
You nailed the Neil vibe and intonation- very cool.We do still love him up here in the great white north!
Actually it would be fun to have a "theme month" on the forum...only your good self and Al can put something out in 2 hours though.

Robert
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/08/18 02:53 AM
Hello, David

2 hours!
It is also important to write quickly.
However, it takes 2 hours including lyrics and recording, it is more than phenomenal.
You must be a genius.
An enjoyable "tribute" to Neil Young.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Scott C Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/09/18 12:02 AM
Excellent tune David. Lots of Neil Young references David. Well done. Brought a smile to my face. Well done..
Posted By: LPman Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/10/18 12:09 AM
Hi David Snyder
I envy how you manage to sing words, in a way that your about to sing out of tune, and then the last second go for an epic moment, and make the vocals your own.

Good job....might be better with an instrumental bridge which modulates out of the key a little, and then back into the song. An enjoyable listen
Posted By: dcuny Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/10/18 02:20 AM
floydjane already took my comments!

Gotta learn to git-er-done myself.

Clever write.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/10/18 08:11 AM
Very nice David. Did it get forwarded? If not it should have been. So good. I submitted an old one that a friend of mine Nick Oldert sang but it wasn’t shortlisted.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/10/18 11:24 AM
Thanks Clifton! Glad it made you smile buddy!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/10/18 11:25 AM

Thanks Al! Say hi to Di for me! Hope you guys are doing better! Been praying for you every day.

Glad you liked it man!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/10/18 11:25 AM

Wanders?????

Huh???

smile

Ok, I am glad you got the joke! Thanks Rich!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/10/18 11:27 AM

Thanks Dave!! If you see him don't show him this song. I hear he has a temper and I don't want him driving to North Carolina with a crazy look in his eye.

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/10/18 11:28 AM

Thanks Floyd!

I read a review on Waging Heavy Peace and they said it was rough sledding in those 700 pages unless you wanted to know every single detail about how he took the knobs of his amps and put them back on again.

Did you like it?
Posted By: Sundance Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/10/18 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Hilarious! .....

fj

+1 LOL! I always enjoy your get 'er done and go for it songs too. I've never tried that site so have no idea how it works.

BTW, A little personal NY experience. Several years ago, Bob Dean and I were contacted out of the blue by his site admin who put one of our songs and the video on the living with war page on Neil's site. You'd have thought we'd won a Grammy we were so beside ourselves.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/11/18 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Thanks Floyd!

I read a review on Waging Heavy Peace and they said it was rough sledding in those 700 pages unless you wanted to know every single detail about how he took the knobs of his amps and put them back on again.

Did you like it?

It gets a little tedious after a couple of hundred pages. But "getting to know Neil Young" through his stream-of-consciousness writing style is interesting. It's as though he never grew past being 19 years old. Ever. And just keeps going. Still 19.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/11/18 05:26 PM

Floyd,

Interesting.

On a completely unrelated note that has nothing to do with it whatsoever, I have read a lot of medical articles that say if you start drinking massive amounts of alcohol and smoking massive amounts of weed as a teenager that you will become "emotionally frozen" and never develop emotionally one year beyond, say, the age of nineteen, until you stop drinking and smoking weed.

Then if you are, say 70, and you finally stop drinking massive amounts of alcohol and smoking weed then, you grow one year at a time. So, if you live to be 80, you will about 29 when you die.

But again, that is totally unrelated to the subject at hand.

P.S. Why does everyone say I act like I am a two year old? How did I get into reverse????
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/11/18 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Floyd,

Interesting.

On a completely unrelated note that has nothing to do with it whatsoever, I have read a lot of medical articles that say if you start drinking massive amounts of alcohol and smoking massive amounts of weed as a teenager that you will become "emotionally frozen" and never develop emotionally one year beyond, say, the age of nineteen, until you stop drinking and smoking weed.

Then if you are, say 70, and you finally stop drinking massive amounts of alcohol and smoking weed then, you grow one year at a time. So, if you live to be 80, you will about 29 when you die.

But again, that is totally unrelated to the subject at hand.

P.S. Why does everyone say I act like I am a two year old? How did I get into reverse????

Actually, that sounds like a perfect explanation of "who Neil Young is". He claims to have stopped both just recently...
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/11/18 07:54 PM
Really great sound. Nice work.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/11/18 09:56 PM
Very, very Neil!!! And, I am a fan (of both of you)!! You've captured it so well. Some nice references in here, mixed with a little humor, and a lot of enjoyable music! Take care. Greg
Posted By: gruverider Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/12/18 01:12 AM
Far Out! Great song and mimicry of N Young!

much enjoyed!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/15/18 10:48 AM

Hi Josie,

Wow!!

That is so cool! You will have to teach me how to do that!!!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/15/18 10:52 AM

Thanks Ember! I am glad it made you laugh. That is what I live for!!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/16/18 10:01 AM

Thanks Samuel! I enjoyed your Neil Young song too!
Posted By: Jim Re: Harvest Moongirl_Neil Young Month - 03/31/18 06:52 PM
Nicely done David... nicely done.
© PG Music Forums