PG Music Home
Posted By: Samuel Davis Ordinary Places - 03/06/18 04:03 PM
Ordinary Places

Like David Snyder I saw the Songtradr listing for a Neil Young replacement of "Journey Through The Past." I thought I had missed the deadline but they extended it an extra day. So I wrote this and threw it together late last night. I'm not real familiar with Niel Young but this seemed similar to the reference song.

Ordinary Places

Real Tracks:
532: Bass, Acoustic, Pop Sw
2124:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm, Country Shuffle
952:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm, Country Boogie Open
2856:Harmonica, Background, Country Slow Swing Jelly Roll
609:Guitar, Resonator, Background Roundup
Real Drums=Nashville Swing 8

Vocals, Mixing and Editing done in Cubase 9

Lyrics:

Do you ever think of me and the times we had?
We always seemed to have a good time wherever we were at.
Sitting down at the coffee shop watching people walk by
Laughing and joking bout what they were wearing and wondering why.
Your hand in mine was soft as silk on that bench we’d share.
Now every time I pass by that shop I still see you there.

Those ordinary places
bring me thoughts of you.
Do those ordinary places
Bring thoughts of me to you?

I catch myself when I’m out and about starring into space
A big ol' grin thinking of you plastered on my face.
Standing in line at the grocery store I can see you there.
Reading the covers of the magazines and playing with your hair.
The little memories of me and you, they take me away.
Popping up everywhere I go every single day.

Those ordinary places
bring me thoughts of you.
Do those ordinary places
Bring thoughts of me to you?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Ordinary Places - 03/06/18 04:11 PM
I really like this one. Your vocals are stellar. It's a good write and arrangement and the mix is spot on. Glad they extended a day so you could get this one in.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Ordinary Places - 03/06/18 11:14 PM
Really liked this track...great choice of RT's to fit your idea; vocals strong, and good lyric message. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Ordinary Places - 03/07/18 12:05 AM
Very good and emotive stuff Samuel. Very good vocals as well.
Keep them coming!

Rob
Posted By: PeterF Re: Ordinary Places - 03/07/18 02:10 AM

Very nice composition - good set of lyrics and an excellent vocal(which considering Neil's somewhat ragged vocal style may not win you the Neil Young gig!).

Has a really good overall feel.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Ordinary Places - 03/07/18 05:34 AM
I really like this one, good write and vocal. Enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Ordinary Places - 03/07/18 12:04 PM
What a tune! I thoroughly enjoyed this one. As others have mentioned - your vocals are superb here, Samuel. Not only do you hit every note perfectly but the delivery is so raw and passionate. It really adds a wonderful dynamic. Plus, the lyrics carry a good weight too. It sounds very sincere and heartfelt.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Ordinary Places - 03/07/18 02:22 PM
I really enjoyed your vocals on this song. Neil Young attempt or not, I think at the end of the day that this is a really good song that you should be proud of no matter the outcome.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Ordinary Places - 03/07/18 11:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. No deal on the song but another one to add to the collectiong. On to the next one.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Ordinary Places - 03/08/18 11:59 PM
Very familiar with Neil Young being a Canadian boy from Manitoba. I think you did a great job capturing a Neil Young song. Well done..
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Ordinary Places - 03/09/18 01:30 AM
Nicely done. Rob
Posted By: kybordr Re: Ordinary Places - 03/09/18 04:04 PM
I liked this a lot, very compelling. The intro hooked me in the first few bars. Vocals perfect for the tune. And some fine craftsmanship in the lyrics. Nicely done!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Ordinary Places - 03/09/18 04:32 PM
Good write, production and vocals. I enjoyed listening to it.

Even more impressive when I read you "threw it together late last night" - it certainly doesn't sound like a last minute submission.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Ordinary Places - 03/10/18 01:54 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Good write, production and vocals. I enjoyed listening to it.

Even more impressive when I read you "threw it together late last night" - it certainly doesn't sound like a last minute submission.

Thanks dcuny. I tend to do some decent work under preasure lol. Otherwise it takes forever to get something done.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Ordinary Places - 03/10/18 11:30 AM
Good job man.

I am not sure how this whole thing works to tell you the truth. I have had some stuff shortlisted that were really, really goofy stupid things that took two seconds and other stuff that I spent more time on I got:

This song was listened to at 2:01 p.m.

We decided not to use this song at 2:01 pm.

I will keep giving it a try for a year, because I figure why not, but I do have questions. For example, I know for a fact that last month they scraped a list from a small time music placement firm's list and made it look like they had these great deals. It actuality, they were pitching to someone else's pitch sheet. I know this because I have email correspondence with the music placement director for that project.

So, that may be how the "business" works but there is a lot I don't get right now, and maybe I am not supposed to get it.

For the Neil Young thing, I dunno, if they didn't pick yours or mine for a longer listen, what DID they pick. I can see mine, because it was tongue in cheek from the get go, but yours was dead on.

So, are they real, or not?

I can't figure it out.

It seems really, really murky to me at this point.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Ordinary Places - 03/10/18 11:28 PM
Samuel, I thought this was great. Laid back arrangement with a big soulful vocal. Good luck with it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Ordinary Places - 03/11/18 05:06 PM
A good listen, Samuel.

An interesting idea for a write. Actually reminded me more of something from The Band than a Neil Young thing - but that puts it in the same area...
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Ordinary Places - 03/11/18 09:22 PM
Cool song, and wonderful use of the band (sounds custom)!! There are some great lines here...natural and comfortable! Really well done in all aspects! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Ordinary Places - 03/13/18 06:25 PM
We've listened to Young through all his permutations and given that you haven't you did a fine job of nailing his vibe...vocally and lyrically.

Re Songtradr we joined last spring, have had 56 shortlists, made the finals many times (on the wanted list) and never got licensed until last week when we were notified that Mood Music had licensed 14 of our tunes - albeit on the deals board.

Hang in. It's cheap and you never know!

We enjoyed this song!

J&B
© PG Music Forums