PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/11/18 10:16 PM
Hello forum friends. I have been very delinquent lately. The only thing I love more than music (my family) has kept me very busy. I have been cook, chauffeur, tutor, coach, and about everything else you can think of with my kids' increasingly crazy busy lives. This is a song which was conceived in Hanalei Bay in the North shore of Kauai about 18 months ago. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I was wading in chest deep blue waters, looking at the skyline of emerald green and waterfalls, and this melody popped into my head. The title just seemed to fit, and I wrote an extended metaphor. You'd think I'd have learned to not write myself into a corner with LIFE for a rhyme but I did my best to work my way out with as little rhymitis as possible. I just finished a marathon on the forum trying to catch up with most of what I've missed (tons of great stuff there) before I posted this. I'd love to hear what you think. Will post lyrics soon. Take care all. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/sea-of-life
Posted By: rsdean Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/11/18 10:21 PM
Greg,

It's so good to hear you again. This song has such a beautiful and peaceful vibe - captures the mood perfectly.

Great vocal and production - loved the tracks selection.

Bob
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/11/18 11:50 PM
Very serene tune with great back story. Quality write. Rob
Posted By: Sundance Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 11:27 AM
Beautiful song Greg! I loved everything about it. I think it's one of your best - lyrics, arrangement and vocals. I was totally immersed. And those harmonies are so downright dazzling Brian Wilson comes to mind.
What a great soft rock sound!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 11:52 AM
Greg, we just listened through a couple of times and it would be hard to add to what Josie said.

This is easily one of the top rock ballads that has been posted on the forum.

It's lush and full sounding yet, somewhat counterintuitively, it still maintains an airy feel.

The vocals are outstanding and along with the "band" so well support the well written lyric.

Kudos and we much enjoyed the spins!

J&B
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 12:42 PM
It's always fun when the kids keep you busy! I was always a pretty low maintenance kid and walked myself everywhere. But that's beside the point -- the point here is your music! And it's lovely. It has such a lovely, soothing feeling to it. Almost like a lullaby? It really relaxes you. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 02:10 PM
Greg,

This is one of the most beautiful things I have heard in a while.

Just flat-out gorgeous.

I really admire your productions and arrangements so much.

This is breathtaking.

Could you supply the tracks etc?

smile
Posted By: kybordr Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 02:59 PM
Echo all of the above. Just beautiful. There’s a lot of music I hear in this forum where I’m listening and thinking “gosh I wish I could do that.” This song is that in spades.
Posted By: ROG Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 04:07 PM
Hi Greg,

Simply beautiful.

The backing track stands as great in it's own right, but with your fabulously smooth
vocal added it takes it to a new high.

Like Josie, I was thinking Brian Wilson - not just the harmonies, but also the production.

There has to be a movie somewhere that needs this song.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 04:20 PM
Man, those vocals! And the harmonies .... excellent!

Track sounds great too, nice arrangement and mix.

Really good, Greg, enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 08:12 PM
Greg,

Stunning. In all regards.

A gorgeous write.

A wonderful, cohesive production. Smooth. One of your best! Excellent mix.

Beautiful vocal!

Top shelf all the way.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 08:25 PM
What an awesome song Greg. Vocal was so beautiful. Backtrack was so relaxing. Loved it
Posted By: gruverider Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/12/18 08:40 PM
Magical!!!

You have captured exactly what you set out to do. I can see the waves, smell the salt air and feel the sand beneath my feet.

The percussion and your use of delay on the vocals is inspired!

Music does not get any better than this for sure!

(edit) ps. I was sitting at my desk weary and fatigued and then I heard this. Thank you for lift.
Posted By: tommyad Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/13/18 09:02 AM
Wow! Greg, This is among if not your best work. The delay on the vocals and the reverb on the lead guitar fills is exceptionally well done. The arrangement with the synth parts is inspired and the production is gorgeous. Your vocals are some of the best ever posted here. There is nothing here that could be better. Pro quality write and performance, Tom
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/13/18 09:31 AM
Wow, I knew this was going to be great from the first note.

Your songwriting skills continue to epitomize excellent song writing.

Another fantastic contribution.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/13/18 12:48 PM
This is a beautiful tune, Greg smile The lyrics themselves have an ethereal vibe to them, definitely. That aside though I can't get over how dreamy and cloud-like the music here is. The music almost wraps around you like a blanket of comfort. It is so cozy and tranquil.

You seriously outdid yourself. Great, great work - and of course, thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: cliftond Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/13/18 01:27 PM
beautiful song, so well developed, perfect timing and feel. put me on the seashore.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/13/18 08:49 PM
Greg,
Hypnotic and serene. Some of the loveliest harmony vocals I`ve heard here or anywhere.The whole production is top level.
Hanalei Bay is gorgeous - thank you for taking me back there!

Robert
Posted By: animarorecords Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/14/18 03:29 AM
Hello, Greg

Really, really comfortable vocals and harmonies!
The feeling being shaken by the waves is expressed so well.
The melody and the chord progression are very nice.
The way to attach echoes to the vocals is wonderful.
Strings sounded slightly in the background are also fashionable.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/15/18 02:16 PM
Hi Greg, I enjoyed this! Very easy to listen to and great effects with the vocals too. The guitar noodling around 2:26 is a great bridge section. Well done!
Posted By: PeterF Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/15/18 07:11 PM
Greg

Lovely - stunning vocal - magical backing vocals, really gorgeous song.
Excellent work.

Peter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/17/18 02:47 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Greg,

It's so good to hear you again. This song has such a beautiful and peaceful vibe - captures the mood perfectly.

Great vocal and production - loved the tracks selection.

Bob

Thanks so much Bob! Love your latest! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/17/18 02:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Very serene tune with great back story. Quality write. Rob

Thanks Rob! I appreciate the listen and the kind words. Your new one is great! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/17/18 02:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Beautiful song Greg! I loved everything about it. I think it's one of your best - lyrics, arrangement and vocals. I was totally immersed. And those harmonies are so downright dazzling Brian Wilson comes to mind.
What a great soft rock sound!

THanks so much Sundance! Good to see you around these parts more often!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: beatmaster Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/17/18 07:59 PM
This Is coming through really nice and well sung and recorded.

Love the haunting backing vocals.

Now cmon how do you do those backing vocals like the bee gees did in a lot of the ballads.

Top.
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/17/18 09:27 PM
Greg, I think this is one of if not your best song yet! Everything about this one is top notch. What a beautiful vocal you have here. The lyrics are outstanding also as are the backing tracks.

This is a keeper.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/18/18 12:03 PM
Greg,

Welcome back to forum. This song was wircertainly worth waiting for. Gorgeous.

SD
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/18/18 05:09 PM
Outstanding Greg! This song is such a pleasure to listen to! You have done a marvelous job on this and your vocal work could not be any better! You always produce great work and I appreciate it! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: RichMac Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/19/18 12:56 AM

Hi Greg,

Most delightful and has a lyrical nautical vibe.
Magnificent vocal.

Cheers.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/20/18 06:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Greg, we just listened through a couple of times and it would be hard to add to what Josie said.

This is easily one of the top rock ballads that has been posted on the forum.

It's lush and full sounding yet, somewhat counterintuitively, it still maintains an airy feel.

The vocals are outstanding and along with the "band" so well support the well written lyric.

Kudos and we much enjoyed the spins!

J&B

Thanks so much J and B! High praise from you is very much valued. You guys continue to do great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/20/18 06:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
It's always fun when the kids keep you busy! I was always a pretty low maintenance kid and walked myself everywhere. But that's beside the point -- the point here is your music! And it's lovely. It has such a lovely, soothing feeling to it. Almost like a lullaby? It really relaxes you. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much Ember!! I love hearing from the PG music people. Thanks for listening and commenting. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/22/18 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Greg,

This is one of the most beautiful things I have heard in a while.

Just flat-out gorgeous.

I really admire your productions and arrangements so much.

This is breathtaking.

Could you supply the tracks etc?

smile

Thanks David. I really appreciate your very kind words! You have been putting out a huge volume of top shelf material!! The RTs are 2448 (Brent Mason Dreamy-I thought about listing him as a collaborator since that track really captured the vibe for the song), 1814 (Celtic Air-finger picking), and 405 (Acoustic strumming). I just put a little groove together with EasyDrummer Latin percussion set and let it run throughout (a la Don Henley in end of the Innocence), and the Fretless bass is from Sampletank 3. Thanks again! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/22/18 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: kybordr
Echo all of the above. Just beautiful. There’s a lot of music I hear in this forum where I’m listening and thinking “gosh I wish I could do that.” This song is that in spades.

Thanks so much kybordr!! A great compliment indeed! I guess we're nearly neighbors. Great to see you around the forum. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/23/18 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Greg,

Simply beautiful.

The backing track stands as great in it's own right, but with your fabulously smooth
vocal added it takes it to a new high.

Like Josie, I was thinking Brian Wilson - not just the harmonies, but also the production.

There has to be a movie somewhere that needs this song.

Cheers, ROG.

Thanks so much ROG for those extremely kind words! I'd love to get a song in a movie... my dream. Always love to hear your stuff... such high level production! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jannesan Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/25/18 04:05 AM
This is really beautiful song, catching perfectly the atmosphere of deep blue waters. All instruments blend superbly together to give feelings of waves, without using sound effects smile Vocals, including the backing voices sound like a wind on the seashore, fantastic! And lyrics are very uplifting. I can really sink into this relaxing landscape.

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/29/18 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, those vocals! And the harmonies .... excellent!

Track sounds great too, nice arrangement and mix.

Really good, Greg, enjoyed the listen!

Thanks so much Dave! Always enjoy your outstanding blues!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/29/18 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg,

Stunning. In all regards.

A gorgeous write.

A wonderful, cohesive production. Smooth. One of your best! Excellent mix.

Beautiful vocal!

Top shelf all the way.

fj

Thanks so much for those extremely kind words Floyd! You know that they mean so much to me. Love Praying for Rain!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: cliftond Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/29/18 01:49 PM
Back for another listen to this beautiful song!!!, So well done, so radio ready.
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 03/29/18 04:38 PM
Dang, I thought I'd already posted a rave review about this song.

I must have drifted off to some happy place while listening and dreamed that.

Soooooo nice. laugh
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 04/03/18 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What an awesome song Greg. Vocal was so beautiful. Backtrack was so relaxing. Loved it

Thanks Scott! Pleasure to work with you and Robert on Wonderland!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 04/03/18 08:53 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Magical!!!

You have captured exactly what you set out to do. I can see the waves, smell the salt air and feel the sand beneath my feet.

The percussion and your use of delay on the vocals is inspired!

Music does not get any better than this for sure!

(edit) ps. I was sitting at my desk weary and fatigued and then I heard this. Thank you for lift.

Such nice words Lawrence! The use of the word "magical" by you is great praise because you do so much musical magic yourself!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 04/03/18 09:35 PM
hi greg wow its all been said totally engaging +10 eric
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 04/08/18 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Wow! Greg, This is among if not your best work. The delay on the vocals and the reverb on the lead guitar fills is exceptionally well done. The arrangement with the synth parts is inspired and the production is gorgeous. Your vocals are some of the best ever posted here. There is nothing here that could be better. Pro quality write and performance, Tom

Thanks so much Tom for those extremely kind words. Much appreciated!! Loved your new one with Bud...Fantastic!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 04/08/18 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Wow, I knew this was going to be great from the first note.

Your songwriting skills continue to epitomize excellent song writing.

Another fantastic contribution.

Thanks so much Trevor! I appreciate your consistent support. Another new one from you one of these days? The last one I remember was great! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 04/08/18 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
This is a beautiful tune, Greg smile The lyrics themselves have an ethereal vibe to them, definitely. That aside though I can't get over how dreamy and cloud-like the music here is. The music almost wraps around you like a blanket of comfort. It is so cozy and tranquil.

You seriously outdid yourself. Great, great work - and of course, thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk! I love hearing from the staff there. A lot of the magic of the song was from Brent Mason. He is AMAZING!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 04/08/18 12:53 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
beautiful song, so well developed, perfect timing and feel. put me on the seashore.

Thanks Clifton! I have enjoyed your songs lately...very, very good!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 04/08/18 04:15 PM
Greg,

As I said on Soundcloud, this is mesmerising.

I sat here, headphones on, closed eyes and just let the music carry me along like I was a sailboat carried across the ocean by a gentle summer breeze. Your song, your singing and your arrangement and production lulled me into a wonderful state of relaxation.

This song ticks all the boxes. I thoroughly enjoyed my listen.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: dani48 Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 04/08/18 06:29 PM
Hi, Greg !

Wonderful tune and performance !
You sound like the Beach Boys
in their experimenting years -
absolutely wonderful !

I really don´t have words
for this masterpiece !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Ian Ferrin Re: NEW SONG POST: Sea of Life - 05/18/18 06:15 PM
Very cool tune Greg. Very nicely done and produced.

Seeing as how there's what, 4 verses? and no choruses to speak of (or 4 chos and no vs), I'd suggest dropping out an instrument or 2 in the next to last verse to give interest. Like maybe the drums? Without the drums for a bit, It might even become more dreamy.

Loved the lyric too.

Peace,

Ian
© PG Music Forums