PG Music Home
In 2015, Joanne Cooper motivated a number of us on the forum to write a song about the plight of the rhinoceroses.

As I consequence, I wrote "He’s an African Rhino". At that time, I did some research and, for inspiration, I downloaded a picture of Sudan, the world’s last male northern white rhino. Last week, I was saddened to read that Sudan passed away on Monday March 19, 2018. As a result, I revisted and updated my song.

In memory of Sudan and his legacy...

Until Joanne brought it to my attention, I had no idea that rhino species everywhere are endangered and that the risk of losing them to history is very real. In 2015, I read that it was estimated that all species would be extinct in just 20 years. For some species, the situation looks slightly better these days.

In returning to "He’s an African Rhino", I’ve brought it into 2018 using the Audiophile edition of Band In A Box (I had the UltraPak in 2015) as well as some new software tools to help shape the revised arrangement and the final mix.

Thank you in advance for listening. Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the song.

Regards,
Noel

Band In A Box

518: Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
2024: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryJohn Ev 085
378: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
689: Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
RealDrums: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Lyrics

Clouds of dust billow and swirl
As he thunders across the land
Such a fearsome beast with those horns at the end of his nose
He's as strong as a team of horses
The savannah is his to command
He's a mighty statement of power wherever he goes

He's an African rhino
An African rhino
Running wild and free
So awesome to see
Full of majesty

Millions of years, his family walked Earth
With never a worry in sight
Then men came along bringing trucks and guns and chains
With their greedy eyes and hungry hearts
These hunters are deadlier than dynamite
So far luck’s been a friend and kept him hidden from their callous campaigns

He's an African rhino
An African rhino
Running wild and free
So awesome to see
Full of majesty

In twenty years,
If nothing changes
All of his race 'll be gone
He's crying out for friends
Will you join us and help make amends?

He's an African rhino
An African rhino
Running wild and free
So awesome to see
And he's desperately needing you and me to...
...Save the rhino
Save the rhino
Running wild and free
So awesome to see
Full of majesty

Be a bridge to tomorrow
Help save the rhino

©2015 Noel Adams, words and music, all rights reserved.

Other Tools

Realband: multiple track generating with Multiriff
Miroslav Philharmonik: chimes (MIDI)
Reaper: recording vocals and mixing
Ozone 8: mastering
Nectar 2: vocal processing
Melodyne Studio 4: vocal harmonies
Very nice tune Noel. Inspirational message.
Noel,

I remember this song very well - it was outstanding back in 2015 and the revisions / updates make it even better.

Incredible mix...

Bob
That was a really nice song Noel!! I appreciate the effort you put into that it sounded great! Thanks, Torrey
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very nice tune Noel. Inspirational message.

Thanks for finding the time to have a listen, Scott. Always appreciate your visit...
Hi Noel, thank you for sharing this with us! Very attractive title and easy to follow lyrics. Awesome! Well done!
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Noel,

I remember this song very well - it was outstanding back in 2015 and the revisions / updates make it even better.

Incredible mix...

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you for dropping in. I thought of you when I was mastering this using Ozone 8 because I picked a preset called "Smooth Folk" and the thought popped into my mind, "I bet Bob Dean would like this preset!". Seems that you did smile

Thanks again!

All the best,
Noel
Noel,
THANKS for putting this issue to the fore via a powerful musical statement.
A wonderful arrangement bright as well as solemn as needed.
I enjoyed it.
I was so sad to hear about his passing. Our local museum has a Wildlife Photography exhibit every year, and this year it focused on the impact humans have on wildlife around the world. Of course, rhinos were featured. Very sad imagery.

This sound was sad and wonderful at the same time. Thanks for sharing!
Hi, Noel !:))

What a beautiful tune
so delicately sung
and with an important
message to us all !

I must say that this
is one of your absolute
best !

Cheers
Dani

Noel,

This is a wonderful production! Everything sounds great.

Just a spectacular performance and engineering job all around.

Happy Easter, too, by the way!

smile
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
That was a really nice song Noel!! I appreciate the effort you put into that it sounded great! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey,

Thank you for having a listen. Appreciate the comments.

All the best,
Noel
Noel
Sounds great - beautiful mix everything is wonderfully clear.
Excellent song.

Peter
Great to hear again, Noel.

Mix sounds great.

It would be nice to have a forum here to collect the "politically conscious" songs... We could have a bunch of good ones...

fj
I thoroughly enjoyed this one smile It has a sad tone to it but I definitely feel a glimpse of hope in it as well. It is a very sad reality what is happening, and refreshing to hear this usually covered-up topic publicly addressed.

Really well done - thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Noel, thank you for sharing this with us! Very attractive title and easy to follow lyrics. Awesome! Well done!

Hi Joe,

I appreciate the visit and the comments! Thanks for visiting the thread.

All the best,
Noel
Hello, Noel

A really beautiful song!
I also remember this song very well.
I think the mixing has improved much better than the previous version.
Your characteristics often appear in this melody.
I love especially the short intro and the deceptive cadence at the ending.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Enjoyed it then and again today. We had read about his passing a couple of days ago.

We've always enjoyed your songs for many reasons but each time I (Bud) hear one I realize just how well you present a lyric. Your enunciation is very musical but also the sheer clarity of it makes every word understood...even for my failing ears smile And if you have something to say, as you always do, that is a great gift.

Excellent song about a sad state of affairs.

J&B
Originally Posted By: rayc
Noel,
THANKS for putting this issue to the fore via a powerful musical statement.
A wonderful arrangement bright as well as solemn as needed.
I enjoyed it.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to have a listen. It's always good to see you. Appreciate the comments.

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I was so sad to hear about his passing. Our local museum has a Wildlife Photography exhibit every year, and this year it focused on the impact humans have on wildlife around the world. Of course, rhinos were featured. Very sad imagery.

This sound was sad and wonderful at the same time. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Ember,

I'm glad you had a chance to have a listen. Thank you for the comments. Hopefully Sudan's passing will make a difference as his legacy lives on.

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Noel !:))

What a beautiful tune
so delicately sung
and with an important
message to us all !

I must say that this
is one of your absolute
best !

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani,

I really appreciate the visit. It's always great to see you. Thanks for having a listen and for the continued support!

All the best to you and Li,
Noel

Hi Noel.

A good song and a fabulous production.
Beautifully done.

Cheers.
Hi Noel
Always loved this one. Thanks for bringing it to life again.
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Noel,

This is a wonderful production! Everything sounds great.

Just a spectacular performance and engineering job all around.

Happy Easter, too, by the way!

smile

David,

Thanks for listening and also for the uplifting comments. Really appreciate it.

Hope you and your family had a Happy Easter, too!

All the best,
Noel
Noel,

I`m hearing this for the first time and its a powerful statement delivered with an excellent vocal performance and crystal clear arrangement.
There`s a steady build which suits the message ( I like the entry of the B3 ) and subtle vocal effects in just the right places.
Fine work!

Robert
A perfect revisit and at an unfortunate and very sad time.

I hope people throughout the world take heed of the message of your song, Noel.
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Noel
Sounds great - beautiful mix everything is wonderfully clear.
Excellent song.

Peter

Hey Peter,

Good to see you! Thanks for the visit. I appreciate that you had time to have a listen and to make a comment.

All the best,
Noel
We remember this one! We were in that project as well.
Your contribution is great.
Would you mind also placing a link to the "non-audiophile" version so that we can compare both versions?

Rob and Anne-Marie
Noel, I remember this one. The new mix sounds great. Beautifully sung and some very meaningful lyrics. I like the echo on the gone part. This is a super song with just the right melancholy feel, Tom
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Great to hear again, Noel.

Mix sounds great.

It would be nice to have a forum here to collect the "politically conscious" songs... We could have a bunch of good ones...

fj

Thanks, floyd. Appreciate it.

I'm not usually someone who writes politically conscious songs but they definitely have a place and a lot of good can come from them (as the late 60s protest era showed). This forum has certainly featured some excellent high-powered politically and socially conscious songs over the years. I listened to your One More Rhino just the other day. It really is such an excellent song and really hits home!

Thanks again for taking the time.

All the best,
Noel

Very nice lyrics about an argument I have in my heart.
Sad picture you posted on Soundcloud that says a lot in which direction the world is going.

Sergio
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I thoroughly enjoyed this one smile It has a sad tone to it but I definitely feel a glimpse of hope in it as well. It is a very sad reality what is happening, and refreshing to hear this usually covered-up topic publicly addressed.

Really well done - thanks for sharing!

Hi Deryk,

Thanks for having a listen and thanks, too, for the comments.

Regards,
Noel
Noel,

Incredible mix...

Bob

+1! Great job Noel. Moving song and sparkling mix.

I heard on the news the last white one died but I didn't catch in what country. Sad.
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Noel

A really beautiful song!
I also remember this song very well.
I think the mixing has improved much better than the previous version.
Your characteristics often appear in this melody.
I love especially the short intro and the deceptive cadence at the ending.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki Adachi,

Thank you for listening and for taking time to write your thoughts down. I think that as the years fly by, I'm getting a little better at mixing. It's been a long and slow journey! And yes, I'm a huge fan of the deceptive/interrupted cadence smile I like the element of 'surprise' that it brings with it.

Thank you again!
Noel
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Enjoyed it then and again today. We had read about his passing a couple of days ago.

We've always enjoyed your songs for many reasons but each time I (Bud) hear one I realize just how well you present a lyric. Your enunciation is very musical but also the sheer clarity of it makes every word understood...even for my failing ears smile And if you have something to say, as you always do, that is a great gift.

Excellent song about a sad state of affairs.

J&B

Hi Janice&Bud,

Thanks for having a listen this second time around. It's always great to see you and I always appreciate reading your take on things.

You took me by surprise and made me smile. Many thanks for that. The skies have been a bit gloomy over here lately. No-one has ever mentioned 'clarity' and 'enunciation' before and I'm not sure what to say! I'm pretty certain that they're more about good luck than good management smile

Thank you for visiting and best wishes to you both!
Noel
Sounds great, Noel!

Mix is spot on, and your vocal sounds great too. I especially like the way you handled the bridge, the echo on "will be gone", and the way you sang "help make amends".

Well written and performed song!
Originally Posted By: RichMac

Hi Noel.

A good song and a fabulous production.
Beautifully done.

Cheers.

Richard,

Thanks for dropping by, listening and commenting. Appreciate it!

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi Noel
Always loved this one. Thanks for bringing it to life again.

Hey Joanne,

It's terrific to see you! Thanks for passing through. Most important, though, thank you heaps for being the driving force that got me to write this song. It would not have existed without you.

May good things come your way,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Noel,

I`m hearing this for the first time and its a powerful statement delivered with an excellent vocal performance and crystal clear arrangement.
There`s a steady build which suits the message ( I like the entry of the B3 ) and subtle vocal effects in just the right places.
Fine work!

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the support and positive feedback. Appreciate it.

All the best,
Noel
Noel,

What a powerful song. Very sad situation. Well thought out and presented. Great job on the vocals, especially the harmonies.

Steve
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
A perfect revisit and at an unfortunate and very sad time.

I hope people throughout the world take heed of the message of your song, Noel.

Hi Trev,

Good to see you. I don't usually write protest songs but I hope this one makes a difference to someone somewhere. It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

I appreciate that you had time to have a listen and to comment. Thanks for that.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: RnAM
We remember this one! We were in that project as well.
Your contribution is great.
Would you mind also placing a link to the "non-audiophile" version so that we can compare both versions?

Rob and Anne-Marie

Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,

Thanks for passing through the thread and having a listen. Much appreciated.

I remember your song, too!

The original version of "He's An African Rhino" is no longer on Soundcloud. That said, though, I'll upload both versions as wav files to Dropbox so that you can compare them. I just need to make sure that the original version uses the same processing as this later version so that you can compare the two on equal footing.

I'll send you a private message with details as soon as I've done this.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Noel, I remember this one. The new mix sounds great. Beautifully sung and some very meaningful lyrics. I like the echo on the gone part. This is a super song with just the right melancholy feel, Tom

Thanks, Tom. It's always good to see you pop in. I remember your entry from that time, too... Brother Rhino. Like all your other songs, it's a worthy listen! Hopefully these songs from 2015 help somehow.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Very nice lyrics about an argument I have in my heart.
Sad picture you posted on Soundcloud that says a lot in which direction the world is going.

Sergio

Hi Sergio,

I appreciate your thoughts. I agree with what you say. It's sad that something so mighty and so amazing is treated so badly. Hopefully, right with win.

Thank you for visiting and for listening.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Noel,

Incredible mix...

Bob

+1! Great job Noel. Moving song and sparkling mix.

I heard on the news the last white one died but I didn't catch in what country. Sad.

Thanks, Josie. It's always a pleasure to see you. Appreciate the listen and comments.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds great, Noel!

Mix is spot on, and your vocal sounds great too. I especially like the way you handled the bridge, the echo on "will be gone", and the way you sang "help make amends".

Well written and performed song!

Dave,

Thank you for your generous words. I appreciate that you had time to have a listen and write some thoughts.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Noel,

What a powerful song. Very sad situation. Well thought out and presented. Great job on the vocals, especially the harmonies.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for dropping in an having a listen. Very much appreciated.

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums