PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Mistakes - 04/08/18 10:54 AM
The sum total of my mistakes is what got me here.

A little history...

MISTAKES

man, i made a mess of montreal
i fought and failed in philly
denver was a dead end
and jersey, hell, that was just silly
nearly found that nashville rainbow
until it all came undone
somehow i landed here in paridise
all sand and sea and sun

bumps and bruises and bad breaks
   been bounced along the way
   but all and all I'd say I've had a ball
   the sum total of my mistakes
   is what got me here today
   so maybe they weren't mistakes at all

teri really turned my head
man i thought i was in love
when that fell through i took up with tammy
what the hell was i thinking of
broken promises and broken hearts
all played out in song
figured i was destined for lonely
and then... you came along

bumps and bruises and bad breaks
   been bounced along the way
   but all and all I'd say I've had a ball
   the sum total of my mistakes
   is what got me here today
   so maybe they weren't mistakes at all

it's been a great life...
no mistake at all

RealTracks in song: ~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1262:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 698:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 646:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopRockBritEdgy Ev 120 (A:arp)
RealTracks in song: ~522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2604:Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzRock8thsJon Ev 120
Royalty free loops
vocals, harmonies, additional acoustic and electric gutiar: me

Hope you enjoy the journey. (I have).
Comments welcome.

floyd
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 11:06 AM
Great writing as usual, Floyd, I love songs that tell a story.

I think when you reach a certain age (I'm in my 60s), assuming your current life is good, you can look back at all the stupid stuff you did when you were younger and see how it shaped the person you are now. I'm the same, wouldn't change a thing. Well, maybe one or two things wink
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 11:51 AM
This is really really good. Brevity is soul of wit, so allow my brief comment to suffice for an entire novel.

Regards,

Lefty
Posted By: Skyline Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 12:33 PM
Cool song, as usual Floyd! The unfolding story and chorus payoff work really well.

Cheers
John
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 01:53 PM
Floyd,
A cool, catchy summing up of a life. I like the way you punch out the "what got me here today" line and then get reflective again on the last line of the chorus
Beautifully sung, arranged, mixed and all that stuff.
Excellent song!

Robert
Posted By: rsdean Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 04:15 PM
Floyd,

Excellent song and arrangement. I love the wistful feel of this - great vocal and the mix is stellar.

Awesome listen...

Bob
Posted By: Scott C Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 04:55 PM
Another super song Floyd. Excellent lyric. Super story telling. Excellent backtrack. Guitar was very sweet. Super vocal and harmonies. Instruments and vocals so we so well placed in the mix. You are a master at this. Well done
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 05:06 PM
Boy can we all relate Floyd!! A great song (again) from you that's just brimming reminders of our own realities of life! Very nice use of pushes and holds in this...you pulled this off in a great fashion with total fluid motion...not easy to do! Great effort again! Thanks, Torry.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 05:09 PM
Another dandy, Floyd.
(How did you miss memphis? jus' askin')
Posted By: dani48 Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 06:01 PM
Hi, Floyd !:))

I´d say that we are
lucky to have your
mistakes taken you here !!!
Oh how I love that voice of yours
It shines on this as on all of
your songs but somehow absolutely
specially on this one - my
new favourite of your tunes !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 06:09 PM

Really nice song; a melodic country hit.
Everything goes well as usual.

Sergio
Posted By: MarioD Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 06:23 PM
Another winner! This can get us all thinking about our past! I just refuse to tell my kids what I did long ago let alone do a song about it!

Everything, as usual, is perfect.

This is a keeper.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Mistakes - 04/08/18 11:14 PM
I love this FJ! Terrific hook. Personal and universal plus romance to make the country ladies go ahh. Great vocal, arrangement and mix.
This is my new fav of yours.
Posted By: critter Re: Mistakes - 04/09/18 02:38 AM
Another great track from the master, what else can I say.

Steve
Posted By: PeterF Re: Mistakes - 04/09/18 03:19 AM
Floyd

A songwriting class in a song. Stunning.

Peter
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Mistakes - 04/09/18 10:40 AM
I like this one.

Nice production chops. And just the slightest hint of Jimmy Buffet hiding in there too.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Mistakes - 04/09/18 11:53 AM
Floyd,

Another Floyd Jane classic, love the guitar solo. And the lyrical theme is incredible, a truly wise song about the path of life itself.

Great job. Maybe every day wasn't so bad after all.

smile
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Mistakes - 04/09/18 02:33 PM
Quality delivery throughout.

Your phrasing is just so excellent, and the song has a fantastic powerful vibe.

Make no mistake about it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/09/18 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Great writing as usual, Floyd, I love songs that tell a story.

I think when you reach a certain age (I'm in my 60s), assuming your current life is good, you can look back at all the stupid stuff you did when you were younger and see how it shaped the person you are now. I'm the same, wouldn't change a thing. Well, maybe one or two things wink

Thanks, Dave.

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
This is really really good. Brevity is soul of wit, so allow my brief comment to suffice for an entire novel.

Regards,

Lefty

I appreciate the novel, Bob. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Cool song, as usual Floyd! The unfolding story and chorus payoff work really well.

Cheers
John

Thanks, John. wink
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Mistakes - 04/09/18 07:34 PM

Your work always stands out Floyd. Great song. Rob
Posted By: tommyad Re: Mistakes - 04/09/18 10:15 PM
There are certainly no mistakes in this one. The sum total of all your talents is on full display. Arrangement, vocal, playing, production and editing chops are at 100% full power. And of course none of that means anything without the song. This is songwriting at a level that makes you sit up a little straighter and really pay attention. Beautifully executed in every regard. It has gotten to the point where it’s a sure bet when your latest song pops up on this forum. You surely know what you’re doing, Tom
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Mistakes - 04/10/18 02:45 AM
Hello, floyd

It's a very catchy sound again.
The combination of bass drums and rim shots throughout the song is very comfortable.
Your productions are very stable. Always at a high level, they will not fall below that.
Your vocal and lead guitar are also very nice as usual.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rayc Re: Mistakes - 04/10/18 04:15 AM
No nits to pick: ace writing, performing, mixing etc.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Mistakes - 04/10/18 10:19 AM
You did an unreal job with this one, Floyd! A big stand out to me here is how vivid the lyricism is. It really does a great job in painting a picture, and really makes the listener feel connected - well, this listener at least! That aside, your vocals are full of charisma and that chorus is excellent. It showcases a very proper songwriting ability.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Mistakes - 04/10/18 12:44 PM
Wow. Just, wow. This song is so personal and really says a lot. I like the choices you've made for this song. It has a bit of that sorrowful nostalgia, but it also has a bit of this upbeat sound to it at the same time. I feel that works really well considering that they "weren't mistakes at all".

Love it!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/10/18 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
A cool, catchy summing up of a life. I like the way you punch out the "what got me here today" line and then get reflective again on the last line of the chorus
Beautifully sung, arranged, mixed and all that stuff.
Excellent song!

Robert

Appreciate that, Robert..

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

Excellent song and arrangement. I love the wistful feel of this - great vocal and the mix is stellar.

Awesome listen...

Bob

Thanks for the nice comments, Bob...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/10/18 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Another super song Floyd. Excellent lyric. Super story telling. Excellent backtrack. Guitar was very sweet. Super vocal and harmonies. Instruments and vocals so we so well placed in the mix. You are a master at this. Well done

Scott - thanks for those very nice comments... really appreciate it..
Posted By: dcuny Re: Mistakes - 04/11/18 03:23 AM
I've been reminding myself to use more alliteration in my own lyrics, and then I hear it done excellently here.

Your verses are always great, but the way the chorus wraps everything up in bow and tugs at the heart knocks me out. As PeterF says, a "songwriting class".

And a great arrangement to boot! Nice solo and rhythm guitar parts.

As usual, good music done right. smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Mistakes - 04/11/18 10:04 AM
Mine would require an opus...until I met Janice.

Is there any subject one could bounce off you for which you could not create a great lyric?

Other than the write what stood out for us were the, as always, fine vocals and the piano...man, it sounds like you and the player sat down and worked out the arrangement.

As Josie said, “personal and universal plus romance...” Yeah!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/11/18 07:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Boy can we all relate Floyd!! A great song (again) from you that's just brimming reminders of our own realities of life! Very nice use of pushes and holds in this...you pulled this off in a great fashion with total fluid motion...not easy to do! Great effort again! Thanks, Torry.

Thanks, Torrey...always pleased to hear you enjoyed one of mine - as I enjoy yours as well...

Originally Posted By: edshaw
Another dandy, Floyd.
(How did you miss memphis? jus' askin')

ed - nice of you to stop by... Memphis never really had a "gotta go there to do the music thing" for me - but that was a good question....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/12/18 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !:))

I´d say that we are
lucky to have your
mistakes taken you here !!!
Oh how I love that voice of yours
It shines on this as on all of
your songs but somehow absolutely
specially on this one - my
new favourite of your tunes !

Cheers
Dani

Appreciate that, Dani! Thanks...
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Mistakes - 04/12/18 09:45 PM
Wow, this is good! I've been out for a couple months (again)! Been working way too many hours. Fell at work and hurt my back the other day, so I've got some down time for a few days while recovering. Getting caught up on some of the great tunes on the forum.

Every time I hear a new song of yours, I think it's my new favorite. They're all good. This one is especially good. Great write. Great job on the vocals. Great job on the production. Other than all these harsh criticisms, I think this is really good!

Steve
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/13/18 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Really nice song; a melodic country hit.
Everything goes well as usual.

Sergio

Sergio - glad to see you around! Thanks for having a listen...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Another winner! This can get us all thinking about our past! I just refuse to tell my kids what I did long ago let alone do a song about it!

Everything, as usual, is perfect.

This is a keeper.

Appreciate that, Mario...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/14/18 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
I love this FJ! Terrific hook. Personal and universal plus romance to make the country ladies go ahh. Great vocal, arrangement and mix.
This is my new fav of yours.

Really appreciate those nice comments, Josie. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: critter
Another great track from the master, what else can I say.

Steve

Thanks, Steve.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/15/18 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd

A songwriting class in a song. Stunning.

Peter

What a nice thing to say, Peter! Thanks - a bunch...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I like this one.

Nice production chops. And just the slightest hint of Jimmy Buffet hiding in there too.

Thanks for stopping in for a listen, Herb...
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Mistakes - 04/15/18 02:39 PM
Another example of great composition. Story told clearly, supporting parts tasteful.

And you have that voice....
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Mistakes - 04/16/18 03:18 PM
WHAT A SONG SHOULD BE!!! Catchy, fun, and meaningful...all woven together into a beautiful 4 minute package!! The groove is infectious from the first few bars. The drum part keeps your foot tappin' and the lyrics keep your mind engaged. BEAUTIFUL!! An instant CLASSIC!!! Congrats on this fine work Floyd!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/16/18 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Floyd,

Another Floyd Jane classic, love the guitar solo. And the lyrical theme is incredible, a truly wise song about the path of life itself.

Great job. Maybe every day wasn't so bad after all.

smile

HA! Thanks for that! That solo guitar RT (2604:Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzRock8thsJon Ev 120) is a GREAT RealTrack - it does different stuff all the time - generates some truly musical leads - sometimes a bit busy, so you have to edit things out to let it breathe, but it has become one of my favorites...
Posted By: Phil Leith Re: Mistakes - 04/17/18 09:29 AM
Yup, this is right up my alley. Well done.

Got a bit of that Gulf and Western attitude, combined with the humble wisdom that age can bring.

Sounds great!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/18/18 10:02 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Quality delivery throughout.

Your phrasing is just so excellent, and the song has a fantastic powerful vibe.

Make no mistake about it.

Thanks, Trev... appreciate your continued support...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/18/18 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580

Your work always stands out Floyd. Great song. Rob

Appreciate that, Rob...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/19/18 10:13 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
There are certainly no mistakes in this one. The sum total of all your talents is on full display. Arrangement, vocal, playing, production and editing chops are at 100% full power. And of course none of that means anything without the song. This is songwriting at a level that makes you sit up a little straighter and really pay attention. Beautifully executed in every regard. It has gotten to the point where it’s a sure bet when your latest song pops up on this forum. You surely know what you’re doing, Tom

Tom - I really appreciate such nice comments - especially from you, someone at the top of their game...

Thanks!
Posted By: kybordr Re: Mistakes - 04/20/18 02:34 AM
Floyd, you are SO good at story telling in song. This is just really great, catchy, great production quality and performances. A little Jimmy Buffet (well, maybe a lot Jimmy Buffet). Definite keeper, kudos, well done!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/20/18 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

It's a very catchy sound again.
The combination of bass drums and rim shots throughout the song is very comfortable.
Your productions are very stable. Always at a high level, they will not fall below that.
Your vocal and lead guitar are also very nice as usual.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - glad you enjoyed this. Thanks.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/21/18 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
No nits to pick: ace writing, performing, mixing etc.

Thanks, ray.

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
You did an unreal job with this one, Floyd! A big stand out to me here is how vivid the lyricism is. It really does a great job in painting a picture, and really makes the listener feel connected - well, this listener at least! That aside, your vocals are full of charisma and that chorus is excellent. It showcases a very proper songwriting ability.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile

Deryk - I really appreciate that...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/22/18 11:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Wow. Just, wow. This song is so personal and really says a lot. I like the choices you've made for this song. It has a bit of that sorrowful nostalgia, but it also has a bit of this upbeat sound to it at the same time. I feel that works really well considering that they "weren't mistakes at all".

Love it!

Ember - Thank you. I really appreciate that nice review...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/23/18 11:09 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I've been reminding myself to use more alliteration in my own lyrics, and then I hear it done excellently here.

Your verses are always great, but the way the chorus wraps everything up in bow and tugs at the heart knocks me out. As PeterF says, a "songwriting class".

And a great arrangement to boot! Nice solo and rhythm guitar parts.

As usual, good music done right. smile

Thanks, David. I've been considering doing a post in the Songwriting forum about using alliteration. It is a valuable tool that only a handful of songwriters have in their arsenal...
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Mistakes - 04/23/18 11:22 AM
This is still really really good. grin

Regards,

L
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/24/18 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Mine would require an opus...until I met Janice.

Is there any subject one could bounce off you for which you could not create a great lyric?

Other than the write what stood out for us were the, as always, fine vocals and the piano...man, it sounds like you and the player sat down and worked out the arrangement.

As Josie said, “personal and universal plus romance...” Yeah!

J&B

Thanks, y'all!
Posted By: RichMac Re: Mistakes - 04/25/18 12:49 AM

Hi Floyd.

Nice and relaxed.
Like the Jimmy Buffet I used to listen to at sea.
Enjoy the more personal aspect of the song and
"that was just silly".

Cheers.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/25/18 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Wow, this is good! I've been out for a couple months (again)! Been working way too many hours. Fell at work and hurt my back the other day, so I've got some down time for a few days while recovering. Getting caught up on some of the great tunes on the forum.

Every time I hear a new song of yours, I think it's my new favorite. They're all good. This one is especially good. Great write. Great job on the vocals. Great job on the production. Other than all these harsh criticisms, I think this is really good!

Steve

Steve - Coming from you, that means a lot - you knock me out with every song you post... Thanks.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/26/18 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Another example of great composition. Story told clearly, supporting parts tasteful.

And you have that voice....

Thanks, eddie. Nice of you to stop by...

Originally Posted By: Phil Leith
Yup, this is right up my alley. Well done.

Got a bit of that Gulf and Western attitude, combined with the humble wisdom that age can bring.

Sounds great!

Appreciate that, Phil...
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Mistakes - 04/26/18 02:30 PM
Mr jane, welcome to the forums!

For a first post, you should be REALLY proud of the work you've done.

The writing, production and performance are of a high standard, in my opinion. This makes me excited for your future works. I hope it's not too far between before we hear more of what you have in store?

At any rate, I see you have gotten a few number of comments already. I'm thinking it's because of cleverly starting out your chorus with the word "bump." Brilliant subliminal worked cleverly into the lyrical content.

On a different note, is your wife "Mary" by chance? If she is, I hear she's smokin'. smile

(I am clearly running out of ways to say how great your songs are!)
Posted By: tommyad Re: Mistakes - 04/26/18 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

At any rate, I see you have gotten a few number of comments already. I'm thinking it's because of cleverly starting out your chorus with the word "bump." Brilliant subliminal worked cleverly into the lyrical content.

On a different note, is your wife "Mary" by chance? If she is, I hear she's smokin'. smile

Carron, That thar is Funny!!! I’m still laughing, Tom
Posted By: Phil Babylon Re: Mistakes - 04/27/18 11:09 AM
Great.
I wish I could get within an inch of your production.
Loved every second of it!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/27/18 06:42 PM
Originally Posted By: kybordr
Floyd, you are SO good at story telling in song. This is just really great, catchy, great production quality and performances. A little Jimmy Buffet (well, maybe a lot Jimmy Buffet). Definite keeper, kudos, well done!

Thanks, kybordr... appreciate that you stopped in for a listen...

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
This is still really really good. grin

Regards,

L

And I still really really appreciate you saying so! Thanks, Lefty!

Originally Posted By: RichMac

Hi Floyd.

Nice and relaxed.
Like the Jimmy Buffet I used to listen to at sea.
Enjoy the more personal aspect of the song and
"that was just silly".

Cheers.

Glad you enjoyed it, Richard...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mistakes - 04/27/18 06:46 PM
Mr jane, welcome to the forums!

For a first post, you should be REALLY proud of the work you've done.

The writing, production and performance are of a high standard, in my opinion. This makes me excited for your future works. I hope it's not too far between before we hear more of what you have in store?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

smile smile smile smile

Thanks for the Welcome! And the Laugh! And the nice sentiment!...

Originally Posted By: tommyad

Carron, That thar is Funny!!! I’m still laughing, Tom

Ditto.

Originally Posted By: Phil Babylon
Great.
I wish I could get within an inch of your production.
Loved every second of it!

Thanks, Phil. I'd say you have a pretty good handle on things yourself...
© PG Music Forums