PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder While You Were Sleeping - 04/12/18 03:05 PM
One night I was up at 3 a.m. and my wife opened the door to my studio and came in and said "What are you doing in here?" and I turned around and said "Band in a Box."

She turned around and as she was walking away she said:

"I should have known."

Ha ha ha! Anybody else been here?!? Thus, this little ditty was born.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsfilmmusic/while-you-were-sleeping

This may only be for guitar freaks, I don't know, but it highlights a feature of Band in a Box I love.

On this, I played the original guitar part first, to a click track, and then I went and put the other instruments in later. I messed with the guitar later, but I recorded it in reverse order--the instruments are following the guitar as opposed to having the guitar follow the bed, if that makes any sense. The idea was just to go totally free form on the guitar and then build the music to fill in around it. This challenges the notion that BIAB keeps you in the "box." In this case BIAB becomes the virtual equivalent of a real band playing behind the soloist, instead of having the soloist jam with Band in a Box.

David Snyder: Stratocaster

RealTracks in style: 2362:Bass, Electric, MotownFunkyTriplets Sw 120
RealTracks in style: ~425:Organ, B3, Background Blues Sw 120
RealDrums in style: LaPopJazzUpbeatSw^1-a,b:Cycling

Posted By: eddie1261 Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/12/18 03:11 PM
Is the alternate title "While You Were Keeping Me Awake?"
Posted By: David Snyder Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/12/18 03:27 PM
No, that's the name of the album Eddie.
Posted By: jimmadsen Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/12/18 03:43 PM
Interesting concept for recording - never thought of trying it that way. I may have to tinker with trying that - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/12/18 03:45 PM
Hi David.. Interesting approach, building backwards.. Did you really start on the clock track with no chord structure entered? If so, did you go back afterwards and do that so that you could get the bass to follow correctly?
Thanks for choosing BIAB over snoozing!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/12/18 04:24 PM
Hey Thanks Jim!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/12/18 04:29 PM
Tano,

Yes. I did the guitar first. Then when went back and added in the chords in a style I knew would "groove."

I did several more takes on the guitar to fix some mistakes, but I used the original as a reference.

The point was to give the guitar part a sense of freedom. The way Jeff Beck plays--his band follows him. He does not follow his band.

Hope that makes sense.

smile
Posted By: rayc Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/13/18 08:09 AM
Nice result David.
In my ignorance the method you described was how I 1st used BIAB.
More delay & reverb on that cool guitar.
Posted By: cliftond Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/13/18 11:02 AM
Hard to do that David, following the solo, great job, the music is top notch.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/13/18 11:18 AM
I don't recall the last time I saw the clock at 3:30am. I sleep like a rock. Heck I slept through a hurricane that my wife thought was going to blow the house apart..... outside next morning looked like a disaster zone, because it was.

Cool tune and interesting way of working it up. That's the way In A World Without You and I Know You're Up To It was recorded..... vocals ... just vocals, I had to create the music to fit the vocals.

It's useful to shake things up from time to time to keep from getting into a rut or getting you out of a rut. I do the same thing from time to time. Rather than composing on guitar, I crank up the keyboard and mess around. It provides a totally different approach to writing.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/13/18 05:00 PM
Conventional and "David Snyder" would never be used in the same sentence.

That is one interesting way to put together a song!

Sounds good. Has a nice feel and flow...

fj
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/13/18 06:14 PM
David, I used to get that same question. She quit asking after about 10 years (38 together now). I liked that guitar sound and I have a feeling a lyric may be on the way at some point. Keep on rockin' Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Scott C Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/14/18 02:15 PM
Very cool way to build a song David. I only get minor riffs playing with out accompaniment then I have add some chords then pick a style that sounds like what I was thinking in the riff. Allot of the rest of the song comes from the drums and bass runs. I would definitely have to fight my ocd developing a song like this lol..

I love the way it turned out. Your guitar work was excellent and awesome BIAB chops putting in the backtrack to compliment the guitar. Well done David..
Posted By: animarorecords Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/17/18 02:33 AM
Hello. David

The melody played by lead guitar is very beautiful.
I would like to hear your vocal version of this tune.
I feel this melody wants lyrics.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/17/18 07:58 AM
My wife is used to that by now. First thing I do in the morning is head down to my studio, and if I can't sleep I'll be down there too. She always knows where to find me!

Cool concept, I've never tried to do that before. I did something similar with Chris once a couple of years ago, she sent me a track with just her singing to a click track and I built a backing track around it.

Hey, great tone on the guitar BTW, and nice playing too. You should play more often!

Good one man, enjoyed the concept and the listen!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/17/18 10:41 AM
Interesting....and the "little ditty" turned out quite well.

Enjoyed it...

J&B
Posted By: David Snyder Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/17/18 02:56 PM

Thanks Ray. I appreciate that man!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/17/18 02:57 PM

Hey Herb,

Thanks man! I guess great fingers think alike, eh??

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/17/18 02:57 PM

Thanks Floyd!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/25/18 01:23 PM
Torrey,

Ha ha ha! So I only have7 more years to go??

Thanks for the feedback man. Hope you are great!

smile
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/25/18 01:35 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
One night I was up at 3 a.m. and my wife opened the door to my studio and came in and said "What are you doing in here?" and I turned around and said "Band in a Box."

She turned around and as she was walking away she said:

"I should have known."

Followed by her muttering under her breath "Why can't you just watch [*****] for 10-15 minutes and then come back to bed like any other warm-blooded male?" Lol.
Posted By: Phil Leith Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/25/18 05:22 PM
Won't be long and I'm sure it'll happen to me.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: While You Were Sleeping - 04/27/18 06:59 PM
My wife only interrupts my BIAB sessions when she wants me to do something for the kids. Otherwise, I guess she's happy to see me otherwise occupied. This is a cool instrumental!! It rolls along so nicely....really like the rhythmic groove, and very nice playing! I am an incompetent musician so I rely heavily on BIAB and just program a few MIDI parts at times. Nice work David! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums