PG Music Home
Posted By: cubanpete New Age tune - 04/16/18 02:03 PM
Hi guys, probably starting a new series of New Age/Smooth Jazz kind of tunes. Also trying my hand at mixing with Sonar Platinum. Still a long ways to go on this new DAW for me. Opinions always welcomed.
https://soundcloud.com/cubanpete/turning-the-page

Style is ANSWERS.STY (Answers - New Age - Smooth Jazz)
BassCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
DrumsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
MelodyCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
SoloistCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
Style MIDI Instruments are : Strings (49), Pad-New Age (89), 26/1 12-Strings Guitar, GM2 Bank 1, Pad-Bowed (93),
MIDI Drums :9 Room Drum Kit (9)
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: New Age tune - 04/16/18 04:50 PM
What you have so far sounds pretty good to me! I dig the sound of it and the instrument choices you made. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: New Age tune - 04/16/18 06:42 PM
I enjoyed listening to this new style that you're working on... What I especially liked is the way you use the hi-hats / symbols to color your track, from the minimalistic beginning tap tap tap to opening up the high hats to give it more texture... Looking forward to hearing more on this one!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New Age tune - 04/16/18 07:52 PM
Thanks Ember and Tano for the comments. Working on the second one. Always looking for new sounds.
Thanks

Mike B.
Posted By: dani48 Re: New Age tune - 04/17/18 04:31 PM
Hi, Mike !

This is just magic !
Liking everything
about it !

Your selection of
instros is absolutely
perfect as is the mix
and solo too !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Age tune - 04/17/18 07:34 PM
Soothing and engaging all the way through. Enjoyed discovering all the nuances.

Very nice! Sounds like you have already well adapted to the new DAW.

J&B
Posted By: rayc Re: New Age tune - 04/17/18 09:28 PM
The 1st thing that struck me was how toppy, narrow & midi sounding the drums are.
The cymbals are the main cause of that I think - whilst they do add almost all of the stereo image they are also the most in need of some softening.
There's a lot of build up in the high mids across the mix.
Your elements are pretty good though that lead thing sounds like a really low quality MP3 - the tunnel sound - it may be an effect you've chosen but it degrades the sound.
Over all for a new age/ambient construction you need more delay & reverb to soften things into each other.
I like your melody & arrangements but it's probably the newness to the DAW, that will soon be overcome, taht's holding the piece back.
A great start.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: New Age tune - 04/18/18 11:15 AM
Really nice job! I'm getting a Brian Eno-ish kind of vibe with this one. Definitely a really relaxing and really spacey tune. I love the sparse percussion you used here. It works very nicely with the atmospheric instrumental.

Great work - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Skyline Re: New Age tune - 04/18/18 01:30 PM
A very evocative track Pete, I was seeing cold blue shades as I played this!
The instruments and arrangement sound fine to me; and for me it leans more to smooth jazz than New Age. With that in mind, if I were mixing it I think I would bring the drums and bass forward a tad, there needs to be a little more anchor in the bottom end to contrast with the sparkling sounds higher up. I'd ease off the reverb a weeny bit. Oh, and here's me being a bit OCD, the end fadeout needs to be long to suit the mood of the piece maybe? But that's just my ears!

Off for another listen...
cool

John
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New Age tune - 04/18/18 05:43 PM
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, that's what this forum is all about. So many fine musicians to be considered. The next one is coming.

Mike B.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: New Age tune - 04/18/18 06:33 PM
Hi Pete. Great mix with the new daw. Well done on all fronts. Rob
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Age tune - 04/18/18 06:48 PM
Nice one Mike! It did seem a little light on the low end, but based on your past work, I know you know what you’re doing. So maybe you made the conscious choice for what you’re going for. I enjoyed it regardless, Tom
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: New Age tune - 04/18/18 07:11 PM
Very nice Mike! This carries the listener along on a smooth as silk journey! Great all the way around! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Age tune - 04/18/18 09:20 PM
Mike, I really like this! I like what you are doing with the hats and cymbals. Like the sparkle. I agree the bottom end could be a little fuller, but that's just my taste. I think you should definitely do more with this genre!

Steve
Posted By: Scott C Re: New Age tune - 04/19/18 07:56 AM
Awesome back track Mike. Super mix on everything. So clear and clean sound. Loved the melody.. Well done
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New Age tune - 04/19/18 06:01 PM
Thanks Rob,Tommy,Torrey,Steve and Scott for the time of your listen and comments. Always looking forward to your opinion.
More to come.

Mike B.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: New Age tune - 04/19/18 07:40 PM
This is a cool venture into new territory- "sparkling" is a good word already used to describe the sound. I enjoyed the atmosphere you`ve created and interested to hear where you go next with this style.

Robert
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Age tune - 04/20/18 08:13 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Mike !

This is just magic !
Liking everything
about it !

Your selection of
instros is absolutely
perfect as is the mix
and solo too !

Cheers
Dani

Absolutely!! Wonderful, interesting, engaging music!! Great mix too! Very cool Mike!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums