PG Music Home
Posted By: JoanneCooper The Day You went away - 04/21/18 02:34 AM
Hi All.

Here is a song that I wrote during February but never got round to posting to the forum.

I recently sent the BIAB RealTracks and the dry vocal recordings to my producer (Ogi Feel the Beat) who lives in Serbia and this is what he did with it.

THE DAY YOU WENT AWAY

The song is hosted on the new hosting site called Musicoin that you may have heard of being discussed on the Off-Topic forum. This is a revolutionary new hosting site where musicians are directly remunerated each time their song is streamed.

I am very positive about this prospects of this site because my view is that we all need somewhere to "put" our music so that it can be heard and here is a good place as any (but may be better because of the fact that we get rewarded for our creative efforts, even if it is only a few cents!).

I think it is like any thing else where you only get out what you put in. So to get results you need to participate in the community (they have quite a lively forum as well as competitions, artist and song of the week, remix challenges etc).

If anybody is interested in signing up to Muscoin I would appreciate it if you would use my referral link.

In writing this song I tried to imagine what the next morning would be like if my partner left me (although "how" he leaves me is up to the listener's interpretation:)

I wont answer the cell phone ringing
The dishes lie dirty in the sink
the dog is sleeping on your side of the bed
I cant even clear my mind to think

I wont throw out your toothbrush in the bathroom
There's even some old clothes in a case
The grass is growing high outside our bedroom door
Theres never any laughter in this place

I feel so shattered, falling into grief
I feel so shaken, falling apart

It was the morning
when you went away
autumn leaves falling
when you went away
I remember everything clear as the day
the day you went away

I wont clean the wine stains on the carpet
I dont have to make the dinner anymore
The cat is walking round wondering what he lost
he'll go back to the way he was before

I feel so broken, floating into grief
I feel so beaten, falling apart

It was the morning
when you went away
autumn leaves falling
when you went away
I remember everything clear as the day
the day you went away

The realtracks used are:
RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 891:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopLiverpool Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 870:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernRnBRockWarmQuarters Ev 065
RealDrums in style: NashvilleBrushesBalladPushEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes
RT891:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopLiverpool Ev 06

Comments are always much appreciated.

Posted By: Scott C Re: The Day You went away - 04/21/18 06:36 PM
Very pretty song Joanne. Super vocal loved the backtrack and lyric.
Posted By: dani48 Re: The Day You went away - 04/21/18 07:03 PM
Hi, Jo !

I think this is one
of your absolute best
if not even the best !

Everything works so
well here ! I like
it when you sing
in voices with yourself !
Sounded absolutely
superb !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: The Day You went away - 04/21/18 07:34 PM
Hi Joanne,
Lovely Vocal as usual,effortless and its very beautiful on the ear .Liked the line "floating into grief" .The Liverpool piano is a very pretty realtrack I think and a good choice.I will definitely look at musicoin and sign up through ur link when I get how it works .Great Job all round wishing you success with the song Hugh
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Day You went away - 04/21/18 09:58 PM
Joanne

Loved the slow build and arrangement. Superb song - wonderful vocal and lyric.
Really great songwriting.

Peter
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Day You went away - 04/22/18 02:25 AM
Hello, Joanne

I thought it was a wonderful folky tune, and that your vocals' main character was demonstrated very well.
Melody seems to come to mind naturally when reading your English lyrics.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Day You went away - 04/22/18 08:20 AM
Beautiful Joanne... Perfect mix and vocal.

Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: Tano Music Re: The Day You went away - 04/22/18 09:07 AM
Very nice work! It’s the first of your tunes that I’ve had the opportunity to listen to, and I look forward to hearing more. Vocal, arrangement, and overall tone of the song perfectly aligned. Good luck with this one!
Posted By: cliftond Re: The Day You went away - 04/22/18 10:13 AM
Powerful and beautiful, song about losing someone special. Well done Joanne,
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Day You went away - 04/22/18 01:16 PM
I have yet to get a song to play from this site. An album pops out of the cover and spins but no sound.

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Day You went away - 04/22/18 02:12 PM
Joanne,
This is moving and lovely- among the best I`ve heard from you.A showcase for your voice... with some irresistible ache!
The production is top notch.
Thanks for the recommendation of the new site- will have a look.

Robert
Posted By: Skyline Re: The Day You went away - 04/22/18 02:24 PM
Beautiful lyrics perfectly expressed in a lovely melody, Joanne. I love the vocal harmonies and the overall arrangement. Very nice indeed.
cool

John
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Day You went away - 04/22/18 06:09 PM
Joanne, this is such a nice song! A great write and your vocal is really strong/superb! Your harmony parts are perfect to my ear! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: The Day You went away - 04/22/18 11:17 PM
Lovely song Joanne as always. Great clean production.Rob
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Day You went away - 04/23/18 10:52 AM
Wow - you nailed this one! And your vocals are absolutely incredible here. Super powerful, and super impactful. The production is crystal clear too. This is the kind of tune I'd imagine hearing on the radio and it not sounding out of place one bit.

Great job, and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Day You went away - 04/23/18 11:12 AM
Joanne, the lengthy pauses in the delivery create great wonderful anticipation.

This is a great write all of the way through. The voice overlay reinforces dimension, and the build is just ever so subtle that it slots in perfectly with this excellent ballad.

Definitely one of your best, no question.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: The Day You went away - 04/23/18 07:21 PM

excellent song. Your best of ever.
super vocal as usual a great feeling in the song.

Really well done.

Sergio
Posted By: RichMac Re: The Day You went away - 04/24/18 10:23 PM

Hi Joanne.

Tried several times but like J&B it won't play for me.
My PC plays all other sites I have tried.
Do i need to sign up to listen or something?
(not interested in signing up).
Also where does the money come from?
Is it just created out of thin air?

Cheers.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: The Day You went away - 04/24/18 11:55 PM
Joanne,

Nicely done, really like the piano in this one . . . haunting and sad, all accentuated by the soulful lyrics. Great harmonies on this as well, used wisely and effectively. Enjoyed my listen.

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Day You went away - 04/25/18 01:49 AM
It took multiple clicks before the song played.

It's a lovely song, good write, well sung.

The mix isn't quite my cup of tea, but that's probably just me. The drum seems out of place - it seems "disembodied" and unreal. I've probably heard the prior mix, and so I've already been spoiled. wink

I love the Liverpool piano, but the way it jumps registers drives me batty - I really wish there were MIDI versions of all these piano tracks, because it would be so easy to fix in a MIDI editor. I've given up on being able to use some of those RealTrack pianos because of that. Which is a shame, because they're so nice. Again, maybe this is only a problem for me. crazy

But no matter what (minor) complaints I have about the mix - lovely song, good write, well sung!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: The Day You went away - 04/25/18 03:28 AM
UPDATE: For those who have been trying to sign-up to Musicoin, they have given me an extra 20 invites so my referral link should be working again. From Musicoin. "It would be very beneficial if people could complete their profiles and upload one release to have a chance to be verified"

David, Bud and Janice and RichMac. Sorry you are having problems streaming on the site. They are still in "Beta" and respond that there are "some difficulties" with the streaming but that doesn't really help me! Anyway. I am sure they want to get those all ironed out before embarking on a massive roll out.

David. Thanks so much for your feeback on the mix and the piano track. Really helpful. Here is a link to my original mix but I think the vocal on this one was far to way up front.

https://musicoin.org/nav/track/0x178be42431af48a9d528aae704f3e2745c6abb8a

Torrey. The harmonies are made using a "cheating" technique described here.

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/the-lazy-way-to-make-harmonies-with-band-in-a-box-and-melodyne

Sergio, Trevor,Deryk, Rob, Robert,Clifton, Tano Music, Bob, Shigeki, PeterF, Hugh, Dani and Scott: Thank you each for commenting and encouraging on the song. I really appreciate it.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Day You went away - 04/27/18 03:09 PM
Touching lyrics, beautiful melody, the acoustic piano sets up the mood nicely and the guitar plays chords smoothly, excellent vocals - especially the backing ones. Nice very low bass at some point.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Day You went away - 04/30/18 05:20 PM
Hey Joanne, I just tried to play this via cellular bypassing my net provider and it still would not play. It's got to be some Apple issue as it will not play on my iPhone, iPad or my iMac using cellular (AT&T) or the net. Just wanted to mention that we did our best.

J&B
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: The Day You went away - 05/03/18 11:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Hey Joanne, I just tried to play this via cellular bypassing my net provider and it still would not play. It's got to be some Apple issue as it will not play on my iPhone, iPad or my iMac using cellular (AT&T) or the net. Just wanted to mention that we did our best.

J&B

Thanks for trying Bud
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The Day You went away - 05/03/18 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
It took multiple clicks before the song played.

It's a lovely song, good write, well sung.

The mix isn't quite my cup of tea, but that's probably just me. The drum seems out of place - it seems "disembodied" and unreal. I've probably heard the prior mix, and so I've already been spoiled. wink

I love the Liverpool piano, but the way it jumps registers drives me batty - I really wish there were MIDI versions of all these piano tracks, because it would be so easy to fix in a MIDI editor. I've given up on being able to use some of those RealTrack pianos because of that. Which is a shame, because they're so nice. Again, maybe this is only a problem for me. crazy

But no matter what (minor) complaints I have about the mix - lovely song, good write, well sung!

Dcuny sums up my feeling quite well regarding the mix. Not sure if it has anything to do whether the site compresses the song or whatever but I too felt a disconnect in the mix as well as the last lyrics of each line trails back into the mix and I cannot hear your voice clearly.

That is usually the result of improper gain staging during the mix and/or poor compression applied to a vocal with a lot of dynamic range. Your vocal level is fairly even so I would look first toward the initial gain staging which may not have been noticeable until MusicCoin applied their dynamics or reduced the resolution of the song if any of that occurred.

As Dcuny stated, no matter the complaints I have about the mix, it's a lovely song, good write and well sung as always.
Posted By: Buford Re: The Day You went away - 05/08/18 02:06 PM
Joanne,

Lovely. Wonderful. And that world-class voice never disappoints. Reminscent of Janis Ian's "Jesse". Piano obscures that wonderful vocal somewhat. Guitar is sweet and a perfect addition. Another memorable project.

Bob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Day You went away - 05/08/18 02:48 PM

Really nice Joanne.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: The Day You went away - 05/08/18 04:02 PM
Hi Joanne,

That's a great song, very pretty. As others have stated the mix is not to my taste. To my ears while listening through laptop speakers the piano is too loud against your vocal. Also it doesn't sound like your vocal and the piano are in the same space.

I hope Musicoin is working out for you. I should note that I had no trouble with the sound playing.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: The Day You went away - 05/09/18 09:49 AM
Janne, Charlie, Bob and Jim

Thanks so much for the comments. It is really interesting that the mix is not to a lot of people taste. and thank you so much for your constructive criticism.I appreciate the feedback and the learning opportunity .. As I mentioned a friend does some mixing on some of my songs. I send him the BIAB tracks and he mixes to taste. He mixes a lot of EDM, Dubstep etc tracks.

So my conclusion is that my mixing is not as bad as I like to think smile
Posted By: Buford Re: The Day You went away - 05/09/18 10:17 AM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Janne, Charlie, Bob and Jim

Thanks so much for the comments. It is really interesting that the mix is not to a lot of people taste. and thank you so much for your constructive criticism.I appreciate the feedback and the learning opportunity .. As I mentioned a friend does some mixing on some of my songs. I send him the BIAB tracks and he mixes to taste. He mixes a lot of EDM, Dubstep etc tracks.

So my conclusion is that my mixing is not as bad as I like to think smile

You're quite a good producer. Go with that.

B grin
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Day You went away - 05/11/18 02:26 PM
Pretty song Joanne!! Really nice harmonies, and the arrangement works really well. Excellent all the way around!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums