PG Music Home
Lady In The Fedora

Dunno what genre this little ditty fits - Americana (folk rock) I guess. I took the SC photo of Janice last fall and it recently inspired the write as she does love her fedora! Hey, even Bud can write an upbeat love lyric every now and then smile Tom (tommyad) contributed a very cool guitar lead that really elevated the tune and seemed to fit the vibe so well (as I recall he capoed at the 12th fret to get that sound).

Janice: vocals (lead, lead doubled on bridge and two harmony tracks) Rodes NT1 > Scarlett interface > Logic Pro X / Nectar 2

Tom: lead guitar / whatever the man does

Bud: production, engineering, mix and photo of Janice

RTs/RDs and effects:

RT 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120 / Waves Bass Rider / Neutron 2

RT 2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120 / Neutron 2

RT 1681:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 12 / Neutron 2, Ozone 8 Imager / EMT 140 Reverb sim

RealDrums: NashvilleEven8 (snare doubled and additional cymbals added) / Neutron 2 / Waves CLA Drums / EMT 140 Reverb sim

Mastering: Ozone 8 and Ozone Tonal Balance

Thanks to Tom and floyd for mix counsel.

V1
lost in thought driving into the evening sun
It been a long day, he was about half past done.
he pulled off the highway for gas and a meal
a live music sign hung in front of a local grill

V2
she was perched on a barstool looking so serene
singing with heart and soul, the room was cheering
She was playing cool licks/riffs on a fine old Martin
but she had something special that got his attention

Chorus
she smiled at him beneath the brim of her hat
lord he had never seen anything quite like that
he couldn’t quit staring at the lady in the fedora
oh that lady in the fedora how he adored her

Bridge
years have past since that night
but he never forgot his first sight
Oh the day he drove down to Georgia
he still adores her his wife in the fedora

Chorus
One of my favorites from you two, I heard it a while back, and have listened a couple of times since.

Janice is her usual awesome self with that tone and phrasing smile

And Tom had me right from the start with that super cool intro.

Love the mix on this, especially the drums, those Toms sound awesome! I have a few of those CLA plugins, I don't however have CLA drums. Will need to pick that one up the next time it goes on sale for $29!

Thanks also for the additional mix details, never thought about putting an imager on an individual track before but I'll give it a try soon. You mentioned Ozone reverb, I didn't know they had a reverb module?

Excellent track, listened a few times and will listen again.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
One of my favorites from you two, I heard it a while back, and have listened a couple of times since.

Janice is her usual awesome self with that tone and phrasing smile

And Tom had me right from the start with that super cool intro.

Love the mix on this, especially the drums, those Toms sound awesome! I have a few of those CLA plugins, I don't however have CLA drums. Will need to pick that one up the next time it goes on sale for $29!

Thanks also for the additional mix details, never thought about putting an imager on an individual track before but I'll give it a try soon. You mentioned Ozone reverb, I didn't know they had a reverb module?

Excellent track, listened a few times and will listen again.

My bad Dave. I meant to say Izotope reverb. I used the Izotope Nectar 2 reverb module for all my reverb. It's a sim of the old EMT 140 unit. I'll edit the post. Good call!

I'm glad you like the drums. Tom told me about the CLA Drums and I grabbed it cheap.

I've found the Imager to sound good at times when I have a track panned near to the center. I convert all stereo RTs to mono before mixing except for keyboards and drums - pretending that I know what I'm doing smile It's always seemed odd to me to pan a stereo track. I leave keyboards very near center...something I learned from fj.

Thanks for everything you said. We appreciate it!

J&B
Wow - this is fantastic! Where this really got me was the vocal performance. Those harmonies are absolutely flawless. And when the chorus came in - boom, I was sold. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio. A++ on this one!

You really should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing smile

Nice love song y'all. I knew you had it in your Bud!!

Great guitar sound too Tom. Excellent vocals as always Janice.

Are you sure that was capoed at the 12th fret? That wpould be craY high. Didn't sound like it. I guess I will have to listen again.

smile
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

I'm glad you like the drums. Tom told me about the CLA Drums and I grabbed it cheap.

J&B

Man, adds on facebook are getting *way* too smart! Scary actually.

I mentioned CLA drums in my review, then just now when I go to facebook there is an add from waves for CLA Drums. And, it's still on sale for $29, so I bought it.

Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 04/25/18 01:22 PM
J&B, Thanks for letting me take part in this great write, performance and production. I had a blast! Yes David, that's the Tele capoed at the twelfth fret and fingerpicked. Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone about the guitar part, Tom
Posted By: Skyline Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 04/25/18 02:02 PM
Hey guys, this is a great track. Love the super guitar work and the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced. Thanks for the listen!

John
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 04/25/18 06:48 PM
Hi Guys. You are always posting some thing memorable and this is no exception.
Great vocal, production and performance. Rob
Posted By: PeterF Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 04/25/18 07:17 PM
Janice Tom & Bud

Like Dave I heard this a little while ago and playing it again is like hearing an old familiar favourite.
Lovely guitar work - not easy playing with a capo at the 12th fret - great mix and sound, strong lyrics and of course a beautiful vocal with some lovely harmonies.

Another top notch composition.

Peter
This was a really awesome collab you guys. I really enjoyed this one! And I feel the genre fits as well.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 04/25/18 08:00 PM
Janice, Bud & Tom,

I love this... The sound and overall feeling are great. It's fresh, and as always Janice has full emotional control of where the song is going.

Perfect write, mix and delivery - absolutely pro all the way!

Bob
J&B,
What the listeners above said... and I like the softness at the centre of the story. A happy ending with ringing guitars ( great work, Tom!) and standout vocals, of course.
A little of the Byrds, with all the goodness of Janice & Bud.
Excellent work.

Robert
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this is fantastic! Where this really got me was the vocal performance. Those harmonies are absolutely flawless. And when the chorus came in - boom, I was sold. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio. A++ on this one!

You really should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk. This one was fun from start to finish. Thanks for mentioning the harmony. They are two tracks by Janice with slightly different amounts of reverb and delay.

Glad you liked it!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 04/26/18 01:13 AM
Heartwarming write, well sung, solid mix. Subtle harmonies. The kick certainly comes through on the headphones!

As usual, nicely done!
I always have high expectations when I see you post a song. Yet, they are never high enough.

To me, it's catchy, has a cool feel to it, produced really well, and has really nice instrumentation all the way around. I like that drum sound, too. smile

Do I also need to mention that the guitar and vocals are great? Ice is cold...as long as we are mentioning things that are REALLY obvious.

Great job all!
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Nice love song y'all. I knew you had it in your Bud!!

Great guitar sound too Tom. Excellent vocals as always Janice.

Are you sure that was capoed at the 12th fret? That wpould be craY high. Didn't sound like it. I guess I will have to listen again.

smile

Thanks David. Yep that’s what the man did - on his tele.

J&B
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Hey guys, this is a great track. Love the super guitar work and the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced. Thanks for the listen!

John

Thanks John and, wow, did you ever make Janice’s day mentioning Linda Ronstadt!

J&B
Hello, Janice & Bud, Tom

Really wonderful collaboration!
Tom's guitar work is great.
And it is surprising twice that it is the Tele capoed at the twelfth fret and fingerpicked.
As John said, I also love the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rayc Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 04/27/18 05:31 AM
B&J + Tom,
EXCELLENT stuff.
The vocal is just the San Francisco side of country - the Tom guitar is very cool.
My only suggestion would be to take the 12 string guitar track and hammer it with a good compressor & add a little top end to bring out some chime - it'd be Byrdsian then. Alternately add a strummed 12 string with the same compressor/EQ treatment to get chime happening - that'll go well with Tom's work.
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hi Guys. You are always posting some thing memorable and this is no exception.
Great vocal, production and performance. Rob

Thanks Rob for listening and commenting.

J&B
Fantastic work Bud and Janice! Great arrangement and vocals. Quite the journey through the lyrics I must say. Well done!
Get out my J&B&T rubber stamp...

Superb vocal. (J - Stamp!)
Super production and awesome mix. (B - Stamp!)
Tasty guitar. (T - Stamp!)

A good story write. (I take it that's still working out?... smile )

Very cool band.

Your songs always really stick in my head. There's another...

fj
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice Tom & Bud

Like Dave I heard this a little while ago and playing it again is like hearing an old familiar favourite.
Lovely guitar work - not easy playing with a capo at the 12th fret - great mix and sound, strong lyrics and of course a beautiful vocal with some lovely harmonies.

Another top notch composition.

Peter

We appreciate that Peter! Thanks for mentioning the harmony...I spent a little more time than usual mixing it.

J&B
Just really enjoyed listening to this.
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This was a really awesome collab you guys. I really enjoyed this one! And I feel the genre fits as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ember!

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 04/28/18 10:06 PM
Lovely song Janice and Bud. Just loved your lyrics and just a super vocal. Toms guitar was so complimentary to the song. Super mix Bud. Loved it
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Tom,

I love this... The sound and overall feeling are great. It's fresh, and as always Janice has full emotional control of where the song is going.

Perfect write, mix and delivery - absolutely pro all the way!

Bob

Thanks Bob and in particular for mentioning the write!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J&B,
What the listeners above said... and I like the softness at the centre of the story. A happy ending with ringing guitars ( great work, Tom!) and standout vocals, of course.
A little of the Byrds, with all the goodness of Janice & Bud.
Excellent work.

Robert

Thank you Robert. I had not thought of the Byrds but, yep, Tom’s guitar definitely adds a bit of that.

J&B
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Heartwarming write, well sung, solid mix. Subtle harmonies. The kick certainly comes through on the headphones!

As usual, nicely done!

Thanks David. I was listening in our vehicle the other which has a sub and I thought the same about the kick...hmmmm perhaps a few db's too much.
Lovely sweetheart song!
Vocals top-notch, and great production.
Really enjoyable listen.
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I always have high expectations when I see you post a song. Yet, they are never high enough.

To me, it's catchy, has a cool feel to it, produced really well, and has really nice instrumentation all the way around. I like that drum sound, too. smile

Do I also need to mention that the guitar and vocals are great? Ice is cold...as long as we are mentioning things that are REALLY obvious.

Great job all!

Thank You!! Really glad to hear the word “catchy.” We were hoping for something of that ilk and upbeat. Unlike some of my more Southern Gothic vibes.

We always appreciate hearing from you.

J&B
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 05/04/18 12:06 AM
J&B,

Great intro. Don’t know why, but had a Jimmy Buffet feel to me--but still unique and fresh. It works great. Wonderful vocals and a nice melody. My only thought would be to try to rhyme “fedora” with someone more than “adores her”—even just one time to serve as a change up on the rhyme. Just my two cents, but a very cool listen.

Kind regards,

Deej
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice & Bud, Tom

Really wonderful collaboration!
Tom's guitar work is great.
And it is surprising twice that it is the Tele capoed at the twelfth fret and fingerpicked.
As John said, I also love the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

We appreciate your comments Shigeki. Thanks for the very nice remarks about the vocal!

J&B
Nothing wrong with a happy love song now and then!! And this is a nice one!! Nice song, nice solo, and (as usual) a very top notch vocal from the lady in the fedora! Enjoyed this happy tune! Take care. Greg

Great song, production, mixing and playing.
Nice to listen to your voice again Janice.

Well done.

Sergio

Originally Posted By: rayc
B&J + Tom,
EXCELLENT stuff.
The vocal is just the San Francisco side of country - the Tom guitar is very cool.
My only suggestion would be to take the 12 string guitar track and hammer it with a good compressor & add a little top end to bring out some chime - it'd be Byrdsian then. Alternately add a strummed 12 string with the same compressor/EQ treatment to get chime happening - that'll go well with Tom's work.

Hey Ray, love your description of the vocal and glad you like the tune. When I get caught up, I'll try your suggestions on the 12 string. Most guitar processing is above my pay grade but I'm game. Thanks!

J&B

PS Byrdsian is good smile

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Fantastic work Bud and Janice! Great arrangement and vocals. Quite the journey through the lyrics I must say. Well done!

Thanks Joe!

J&B
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Get out my J&B&T rubber stamp...

Superb vocal. (J - Stamp!)
Super production and awesome mix. (B - Stamp!)
Tasty guitar. (T - Stamp!)

A good story write. (I take it that's still working out?... smile )

Very cool band.

Your songs always really stick in my head. There's another...

fj

Working out well indeed mr jane! And we both thank you for every such a nice review. Your feedback and suggestions were invaluable.

J&B
Such a pretty love song! Nice imagery. Love the guitars and the vocal and harmonies. The doubling was cool too. Great mix and production.
One after another after another! You folks just keep putting out material that proclaims excellence! Everyone involved here is proving you are at the top of your game! Thanks, Torrey
Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
Just really enjoyed listening to this.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely song Janice and Bud. Just loved your lyrics and just a super vocal. Toms guitar was so complimentary to the song. Super mix Bud. Loved it

Thanks Scott. Yep, that guitar worked out really well. We appreciate your supportive comments.

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: Lady In The Fedora (feat. Tom on guitar) - 05/12/18 09:51 PM
First: VERY COOL ARTWORK!
This really stands out when it comes to quality of the mix. Crystal clear sound quality!
The song is very well crafted with cool vocals and backing vocals by Janice.

Rob
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Lovely sweetheart song!
Vocals top-notch, and great production.
Really enjoyable listen.

Thanks for listening and commenting and giving that great description. That's what we tried for!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Deej56
J&B,

Great intro. Don’t know why, but had a Jimmy Buffet feel to me--but still unique and fresh. It works great. Wonderful vocals and a nice melody. My only thought would be to try to rhyme “fedora” with someone more than “adores her”—even just one time to serve as a change up on the rhyme. Just my two cents, but a very cool listen.

Kind regards,

Deej

Thanks for listening and the kind remarks! Yeah, I felt it was a bit redundant also but by then the muse had departed. She only makes rare appearances for me smile

J&B
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nothing wrong with a happy love song now and then!! And this is a nice one!! Nice song, nice solo, and (as usual) a very top notch vocal from the lady in the fedora! Enjoyed this happy tune! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great song, production, mixing and playing.
Nice to listen to your voice again Janice.

Well done.

Sergio

Thank you Sergio!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Such a pretty love song! Nice imagery. Love the guitars and the vocal and harmonies. The doubling was cool too. Great mix and production.

Thanks! We appreciate you mentioning the vocals and the doubling of the bridge. And, yep, Tom did a great job.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
One after another after another! You folks just keep putting out material that proclaims excellence! Everyone involved here is proving you are at the top of your game! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks for the kind words Torrey.

J&B

Originally Posted By: RnAM
First: VERY COOL ARTWORK!
This really stands out when it comes to quality of the mix. Crystal clear sound quality!
The song is very well crafted with cool vocals and backing vocals by Janice.

Rob

Thanks for mentioning both the mix and the vocals Rob!

J&B
Great song. Crystal clear mix, everything sits perfectly to me. I always like that 1681 12 string. It has the Roger McGuinn Byrds sound and fits many songs. Enjoyed this one from start to finish.
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Great song. Crystal clear mix, everything sits perfectly to me. I always like that 1681 12 string. It has the Roger McGuinn Byrds sound and fits many songs. Enjoyed this one from start to finish.

Thanks Charlie and we appreciate you mentioning the mix. Glad you like it!

J&B
Hi Janice and Bud,

Really enjoyed this. The hook is really memorable and a great image.

The guitar work is really nice and you can't tell this is a mostly BIAB tune IMO. Nice work,

Peace,

Ian
© PG Music Forums