PG Music Home
Posted By: MrJones? A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/19/18 08:29 AM
Hi people of Band In A Box.
I'm pleased to present my second original recording (I've been doing a few covers but I believe it's not allowed to post them here due to copyright complications).

Not really sure which direction to take this one because I really was trying to make something a bit more Bob Dylan, but as usual I got carried away with the arrangement and it's gone off at a bit of a tangent.
Still I'm quite pleased with it and when I'm doing gigs, just me and my guitar and harmonica will be able to strip it right back to the more Dylan-esque sound I had in my head.

Lesson Learned - Soundcloud

I'm just about to type up the (at the moment) handwritten (scribbled) lyrics so they'll be in my next post... Thanks. smile
Posted By: MrJones? Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/19/18 08:36 AM
Lesson Learned:

She breezes in like a summer storm
She keeps you busy and she keeps you warm
The pressure's high
And you don't know which way to turn
So you ride the high winds
And that's a lesson learned

She wears a face that never wears a frown
She lifts you up when the chips are down
She got her problems
But it just not your concern
Till there's no food at the table
Then it's a lesson learned

She makes her exit when the winter falls
She says you drive her up the walls
The house is cold
But you think someday she'll return
So you keep on doing what you're doing
That's no lesson learned

(Break)

She breezes in like a summer storm
She keeps you busy and she keeps you warm
Spark in the dark
And your love light will start to burn
This time don't blow the flame out
That's a lesson learned
That's a lesson learned
That's a lesson learned
That's a lesson learned
That's a lesson learned
That's a lesson learned
Posted By: Scott C Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/19/18 11:19 PM
Excellent tune. Super vocal, lyric and backtrack. Super mix. Nice acoustic
Posted By: MrJones? Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/20/18 06:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent tune. Super vocal, lyric and backtrack. Super mix. Nice acoustic

Thanks Scott, much appreciated.
To me, it sounds better on the recording set up than on my regular computer speakers, where it sounds a bit bass heavy, but those are the only two places I've had a listen yet, so it may be my computer speakers that just need the sub-bass box turning down bit.

Forgot to give a rundown of the tracks used, so here we go:
Bass: 366. Bass, Electric, Country Ev65
Guitar 1: 365. Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
Drums: RealDrums=NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat, b:Snare, HiHat
Guitar2: 362. Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev085
Guitar3: 2650. Guitar, Electric, Background DreamyPopBalladFillsBrent Ev085
Organ: 2692. Organ, Rhythm ModernPopSlowMike Ev075

Harmonica is me.
Vocal is me.

If I was to re-do it, I'd also take some of the gappy bits out where there's not a lot happening, but I decided to leave them in for this to see if it added to the 'mood' of the song.
Having listened a few times, I'm not now not sure it does. smile
Posted By: Tano Music Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/20/18 09:53 AM
Really nice track… I like the overall mix and the lyric quality of the song was succinct and perfect for the melody. I found your comment about getting to a Dylan-type sound interesting… I think that this track, as a reflection of your own creativity, can stand on its own without trying to make it sound like someone else’s sound, if that makes sense. Keep on with what you’re doing and I’m looking forward to hearing more from you!
Posted By: dcuny Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/20/18 07:02 PM
Well, the harmonica certainly gives it a Dylan-esque feel. But your voice is much too pleasant, and lacks a resonant nasal twang.

Quote:
It started off a bit Dylanesque but turned a little bit Elvis in the end.

Your words, not mine. laugh

But seriously, all those nice things that Scott said? Ditto!
Posted By: MrJones? Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/22/18 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Really nice track… I like the overall mix and the lyric quality of the song was succinct and perfect for the melody. I found your comment about getting to a Dylan-type sound interesting… I think that this track, as a reflection of your own creativity, can stand on its own without trying to make it sound like someone else’s sound, if that makes sense. Keep on with what you’re doing and I’m looking forward to hearing more from you!

Thanks for the feedback. smile
Oh yes, I completely agree. When I write a song (and even when I do a cover), I start with an idea in my head, but let it grow organically. I don't think sticking rigidly to the "original plan" is a good idea because as you rightly say, it needs to "stand on it's own" and if the music is taking it in a different direction, that's where I'll be following it. laugh
Posted By: MrJones? Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/22/18 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Well, the harmonica certainly gives it a Dylan-esque feel. But your voice is much too pleasant, and lacks a resonant nasal twang.

Quote:

Haha... I have been known to do a Dylan parody voice sometimes (live), but more for laughs than trying to copy that sound... I'm more comfortable with deep and (hopefully) rich sounding vocals. Not that I think there anything wrong with Dylan, I think he is genius.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's appreciated.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/23/18 11:30 AM
I really enjoyed this one! Really strong and powerful vocal performance, and the addition of those poetic lyrics does give it a bit of a Bob Dylan feel. As others have said - what sets you apart is your singing ability. You are definitely a better singer. That aside - I liked the progressions and the harmonica fits perfectly among everything.

Great work - thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/23/18 01:36 PM
Sounds really great.

Love the mix, and the song as well.

Great vocal sound the harmonica part is great.

Again, a super mix.

Welcome to the forum.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/23/18 08:17 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Quote:

Before reading David's post, I was going to say the vocal is too good for a Dylan style. This reminds me of early Neil Diamond. Very catchy groove and some good lyrics. Really great job with this! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Robertkc Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/24/18 07:30 PM
Good song with a nice flow to it... and I`m partial to a folkie who plays harp!
Your vocal is strong ( more Kristofferson than Elvis, I`d say) and the mix sounds fine.
Welcome to the forum!

Robert
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: A Lesson Learned (ballad) - 05/24/18 07:54 PM
What a beautiful song. The vocals were very moving and emotional. Thank you so much for sharing with us!
© PG Music Forums