PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan The Weeds Of Love - 06/04/18 11:50 AM
Here is a pop-rock tune called The Weeds Of Love.

The message is that sooner or later comes a time to remove the alien species with all memories from the garden of life and start again in a clean landscape.

I'm singing here although my vocal track sounds quite harsh. I know there are many many things I should fix... But I hope you like the song itself smile I originally wrote the lyrics in Finnish and later made the English translation. Here you can find the Finnish version.

RealDrums: BluesRockSlowEv
RealTracks:
Electric bass #387
Acoustic guitar #2780
Electric guitar #1257, #636, #799, #2687

Vocals by me
Mixed in Adobe Audition 2018.

Lyrics:

I suffocate the lilies that remind
of the godly beauty that once made me blind
I burn the daisy petals of this plot
where you counted earnestly loves me or loves me not
I turn the stones and stumps on which you hid
I saw off those thujas
at their feet sweet love we did.

I tear the roots of memories from you
I dig out every seed from the view
that species, harmful & alien
gone is the burning on my skin
finally rid of
the weeds of love.

I cut the thorns of roses since they nip
stains of fuchsias bleeding on my fingertip
in this private wood you have no right to bud
I weed my heart won't let your poison in my blood
crop, water, light or warmth you can't displace
backfire is the last flame on your fading face.

I tear the roots..

I know you're now only mold to me
wilderness like a barren lea
by the cut down field I leave the past
walking alone towards the new at last.

I tear the roots..

------------
Janne
Posted By: LPman Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/04/18 12:55 PM
Hi jannesan
This song feels 70's and has a nice instrumental. The vocals are well sung. The lyrics throws me off a bit... and leaves me standing on the fence about the purpose which you wish to convey. Politics about aliens is an interesting choice to pursue, not sure if you made your case clearly. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/04/18 11:12 PM
Well, the lyrics lost me, but I enjoyed the melody, singing and production. laugh
Posted By: Tano Music Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/05/18 09:55 AM
Janne.. your musical ideas are very inventive!! I love the unusual turn unexpected changes in the music. It really kept my interest, I was always listen closely to hear where you’re going next with the music. I listened to both the English and the Finnish versions. You are a very courageous musician to have rendered your lyrics into English! I really appreciate your efforts to do that, given that translation be so difficult. In the end, I like your Finnish version much better because I could hear the rhymes and also how your musical thinking flows out of your native tongue. Really enjoyed listening to this, and I think I learned a bit from your efforts!
Posted By: cliftond Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/05/18 11:05 AM
THe tune is excellent, groove feels right, Sounds good!!
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/05/18 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: LPman
Hi jannesan
This song feels 70's and has a nice instrumental. The vocals are well sung. The lyrics throws me off a bit... and leaves me standing on the fence about the purpose which you wish to convey. Politics about aliens is an interesting choice to pursue, not sure if you made your case clearly. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks LPman for your nice comment smile The lyrics were inspired by a plant called giant hogweed, which is not native European plant, thus foreign or alien species. Very difficult to get rid of and it is phototoxic. In the lyrics I'm using similar weed as a metaphor to a bad relationship, to get totally out of it you have to destroy all memories of it, good and bad.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/05/18 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Well, the lyrics lost me, but I enjoyed the melody, singing and production. laugh

Thanks David for your kind words smile Well I thought my lyrics were quite clear having analogy between getting rid of a difficult weed and forgetting a bad relationship, obviously I was wrong wink

Janne
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/05/18 04:27 PM
Thanks for sharing this with us jannesan! Quite enjoyed the progression and overall vibe to this. Good guitar tones too. Well done!
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/05/18 08:53 PM
Janne,

This is a very cool write... I really like the delivery and production.

Very nice!

Bob
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/06/18 12:35 PM
Very cool song. Excellent lyric and vocal well done
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/06/18 01:43 PM
Janne,
Your analogy was clear to me... but then I`m a career gardener ( Thuja is pronounced ThuYa btw) and have played around with writing a song about plants.
I agree with Tano, you are a creative song writer and I always find something surprising and new in your music.
I don`t find the vocal harsh - will have a listen to your Finnish version to compare.

Robert
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/06/18 06:23 PM
I couldn't make out the lyrics in some parts, but I think that it is a really pretty song and that the vocal style does suit the song. smile Great job so far.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/07/18 11:30 AM
Wow - this was incredible smile Some very fascinating lyrics on this, and I love the subtly catchy chorus here. I'm getting a 70's rock sort of vibe with this one.

Really well done - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/07/18 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Janne.. your musical ideas are very inventive!! I love the unusual turn unexpected changes in the music. It really kept my interest, I was always listen closely to hear where you’re going next with the music. I listened to both the English and the Finnish versions. You are a very courageous musician to have rendered your lyrics into English! I really appreciate your efforts to do that, given that translation be so difficult. In the end, I like your Finnish version much better because I could hear the rhymes and also how your musical thinking flows out of your native tongue. Really enjoyed listening to this, and I think I learned a bit from your efforts!

I really appreciate your very positive feedback and kind words smile I'm glad you find my songs inventive and you have time and interest to dig deeper into them laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/07/18 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
THe tune is excellent, groove feels right, Sounds good!!

Thanks cliftond for your very kind words smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/07/18 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Thanks for sharing this with us jannesan! Quite enjoyed the progression and overall vibe to this. Good guitar tones too. Well done!

Thanks Joe for enjoying my simple tune smile I agree, BIAB has really good guitars laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/07/18 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
This is a very cool write... I really like the delivery and production.
Very nice!
Bob

Thanks Bob for your kind feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/07/18 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool song. Excellent lyric and vocal well done

Thanks Scott for your kind words about my lyrics and vocals smile

Janne
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/08/18 03:30 AM
Hello, Janne

Very nice pop-rock tune!
The melody and the chord progression are excellent as usual.
I prefer Finnish version.
Finnish fits this melody really well.
English is easier to convey the meaning of lyrics to everyone, but I think that mother tongue is also wonderful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/09/18 07:30 PM
Janne, I wasn't able to quite pick up on some of the underlying meaning of the lyrics but I love the melody and chord structure in this! You always have neat little twists and turns in the structure of your songs! I really like what you did with the chorus in this! Great production and mix! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/10/18 09:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janne,
Your analogy was clear to me... but then I`m a career gardener ( Thuja is pronounced ThuYa btw) and have played around with writing a song about plants.
I agree with Tano, you are a creative song writer and I always find something surprising and new in your music.
I don`t find the vocal harsh - will have a listen to your Finnish version to compare.
Robert

Thanks Robert for your uplifting comment smile I feel honored to be called a creative song writer laugh

About the pronunciation, I trusted google translator and wikipedia, well I think there is also thuya, but I don't how it differs from thuja...

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/10/18 09:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I couldn't make out the lyrics in some parts, but I think that it is a really pretty song and that the vocal style does suit the song. smile Great job so far.

Thanks Ember for liking and nice comment despite the difficult lyrics smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/10/18 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this was incredible smile Some very fascinating lyrics on this, and I love the subtly catchy chorus here. I'm getting a 70's rock sort of vibe with this one.

Really well done - thanks for sharing!

Thanks Deryk for your very kind words smile 70's rock, very interesting - I don't listen to it much.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/10/18 09:55 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Very nice pop-rock tune!
The melody and the chord progression are excellent as usual.
I prefer Finnish version.
Finnish fits this melody really well.
English is easier to convey the meaning of lyrics to everyone, but I think that mother tongue is also wonderful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.
Best regards.
Shigeki Adachi

Thank you Shigeki Adachi for your positive words smile I'm glad you find the Finnish version better, it is more natural to sing it, when singing in English I have to concentrate on technical issues and that fact is easy to notice.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/10/18 09:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Janne, I wasn't able to quite pick up on some of the underlying meaning of the lyrics but I love the melody and chord structure in this! You always have neat little twists and turns in the structure of your songs! I really like what you did with the chorus in this! Great production and mix! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey for your kind words smile Interesting that you find twists also in this one, because I think this is one of the more straightforward songs I have made...Glad to hear you noticed the chorus smile

Janne
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/11/18 12:00 AM
Janne

Nice inventive tune - clever songwriting - listened to the Finnish version as well which as I think you mention elsewhere flows a bit more.
Nicely done.

Peter
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/12/18 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janne
Nice inventive tune - clever songwriting - listened to the Finnish version as well which as I think you mention elsewhere flows a bit more.
Nicely done.
Peter

Thanks Peter for your kind feedback, always rewarding to hear words like inventive and clever blush

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/12/18 06:52 PM
That was interesting and enjoyable. Invasive (alien) plant species practically surround us in our part of the country so I had no problem with the analogy.

Good job on putting together something different for us!

J&B
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/14/18 02:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
That was interesting and enjoyable. Invasive (alien) plant species practically surround us in our part of the country so I had no problem with the analogy.
Good job on putting together something different for us!
J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for enjoying my song and finding it interesting smile

Janne
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/15/18 10:48 PM
Great job on the arrangement and nice production. I got your metaphor but I'm not sure I would have if I'd just listened without reading what the song was about first. Like Ember, I had some trouble hearing all the lyrics. Really nice melody. A lot of folks can't do this well in their native language much less translating it into English.
You are quite talented. Bottom line, I enjoyed it very much.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Weeds Of Love - 06/17/18 02:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Great job on the arrangement and nice production. I got your metaphor but I'm not sure I would have if I'd just listened without reading what the song was about first. Like Ember, I had some trouble hearing all the lyrics. Really nice melody. A lot of folks can't do this well in their native language much less translating it into English.
You are quite talented. Bottom line, I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks Josie for your very kind and encouraging words smile blush

Janne
© PG Music Forums