PG Music Home
Posted By: Skyline New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/09/18 12:53 PM
Nothing deep this time, just a song about being too shy to ‘plight one’s troth’, as they say.
Here's an accompanying video which includes glimpses of yours truly in action:

(Switch to 1080HD if it doesn't do so automatically).

Lyrics and technical notes can be found Here.

BIAB Components:
Electric Piano - PIANO CRAY1.STY Cray 1 90's Rock Blues (but I made the opening trill!)
Organ - ECST_GRV.STY East CoastGroove Rock Organ (choruses and middle 8 only)
Electric Rhythm Guitar - 500WATT.STY_Guitar_Real 1718 Guitar TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120

All at 120bpm but little trick I use is to speed things up in final choruses to add a sense of excitement, to 121.4bpm here.

John
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/09/18 07:37 PM
Hi Skyline, Very cool song! Excellent chords and easy to listen to. Really enjoyed the visualizations too, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/09/18 07:39 PM
This is great John! I'm hearing some Ray Davies in this one - very cool.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Tano Music Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/10/18 09:35 AM
Hey John, really enjoyed listening to your work. I loved the way that you ended the song… Kind of an uncertain note… You don’t know what eventually happens! I like a lot of the Rhyme schemes that you used, and I especially like the background vocals done so expertly. Thanks for sharing !
Posted By: rsdean Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/10/18 11:05 AM
John,

Wow! Excellent song and vocal - love the video as well.

Bob
Posted By: Scott C Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/10/18 03:44 PM
Excellent tune. Really loved your video. Super vocal and backtrack. Well done
Posted By: Robertkc Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/10/18 05:31 PM
John,

I liked the upbeat feeling conveyed here...infectious in a Ringo/Jerry Rafferty way.
Production, vocals and especially your harmonies are on the money.
The video is cool - both the freeform stuff and your in home shots.
The cat looks comfortable!

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/10/18 05:40 PM
John, you had me from the git-go. Everything about this is top shelf. Your vocals were perfect. As was the guitar lead and tone! Super chops also! The backing tracks and the mix were spot on.

I think this is your best to date.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/10/18 06:01 PM
I really like this song! Your vocals tied in really well to the song and added another level of depth. I think you made a lot of really smart choices here. Well done. grin
Posted By: Sundance Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/10/18 09:39 PM
Sounds and looks terrific John! I also enjoyed reading all the details in the link.
Posted By: PeterF Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/11/18 03:57 AM
John

Liked it all - great video and catchy song, overall a lovely production.

Peter
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/11/18 02:12 PM
Really nice work! I enjoyed how catchy and groovy this tune is. It is the precisely the kind of thing I'd imagine sounding unreal in a live setting. Lots of energy and charisma, and a top notch hook to boot.

Not a thing I'd change - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/11/18 04:00 PM
Sweet.... man I loved that punchy mix. Very well executed.

Nothing there not to like.

Interesting song and loved the chord changes you selected. One of the best ones here ..... at least in the top 10 of my favorites this year.
Posted By: LPman Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/11/18 06:57 PM
Hi Skyline

Well done... Impressed with the guitar solo & how honest you're about writing lyrics. I just turned "journeyman" grin
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/11/18 07:39 PM
Cool song, John.

Excellent production and mix (as always).

A very catchy chorus (had a bit of a Badfinger thing going).

Very enjoyable.

fj
Posted By: dcuny Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/11/18 11:04 PM
I'll have to repeat that word: "catchy".

Nice video, excellent production. I especially liked the vocoder and the harmonies.
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/12/18 08:19 AM
Many thanks friends, I'm glad you liked this one. I had a lot of fun putting it together.

Ray Davies, Badfinger: wow, it would be good to even hold a small light to them in terms of composition!

Robert: yes, I only spotted our cat Buffy in the background when I began to edit the video!

David: the vocoder was courtesy of the demo version of iZotope's VocalSynth2. I'm not sure I'll spring for the full version as I don't think it's an effect I will use much, even though it's (regrettably) all over modern pop songs. I still remember how the Syndrum was overdone in the 80s!

John
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/12/18 12:52 PM
Great mix...the drums are superb.

Enjoyed reading the techie stuff and watching the cool vid.

This one has those great qualities of catching you immediately, holding you and ultimately making you want to listen again.

Great work!

J&B
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 06/14/18 05:00 AM
Many thanks J&B for taking a listen!

John
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song "Tongue Tied" - 08/01/18 08:11 PM
John,

This is exceptional! You always manage to present and to produce songs that sparkle with talent in every direction. Every time I listen to your work, you give me ideas and help me think beyond my own boundaries. I really appreciate that!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Great video, too!
© PG Music Forums