PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Revisiting an old song - 06/12/18 08:54 PM
I saw a few folks bring out some older songs recorded back in the day, so I decided to rework one too. I had been contemplating it but this was the push I needed to drag it out, dust it off and redo it completely from the ground up. Nothing in this was in the original.

This is a song I wrote with a buddy of mine way back in the day. We were sitting in my living room discussing the sad state of affairs in our lives, playing gigs for the door take in a few of the bars in our town. We wrote this song. It's probably the first "real" song I wrote.

Band:
Drums: Hard rock style
B3: 686
Piano: 890
Bass: 995

Main vocal and 2 harmonies. I deleted the doubling tracks from this project.
Acoustic Guitars: 2 unique Taylor tracks
Electric: I think there's 3 main tracks and a few this and that's. Most was recorded mic'd on my Mesa, with the cleaner solo recorded on my POD2. Looking back, maybe I would have or should have recorded the other parts a bit cleaner but hey... it sounded good while it was happening.

This is the first tune in a long time where I have used MIDI:

Bass is augmented at the end with Cakewalk Sound Center Ricko Bass.
Drums are Jamstix : snare pop and final "take it home".

Hanging Around

In case you're wondering and are curious.... the original is still on my other music page way down at the bottom.
The original is 100% me. It was recorded back before I got BB and started using it. A combination of live and midi with me playing the midi. I even played the piano on it. Not so on the new version.

Anyway, I had a good time recording this and I hope you enjoy the listen.

BTW: Mike and I were in a band called Boot Hill which played a lot, and I mean a lot of Charlie Daniels and the Marshal Tucker Band. We were heavily influenced by those bands. Maybe you can tell in the style.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/12/18 09:02 PM
Yes, this definitely has that Marshall Tucker and Charlie Daniels vibe going on. Brings back some great memories of seeing those two acts back in the day. Enjoyed this one.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/12/18 09:38 PM
Yep you can hear that Marshal Tucker and Charlie Daniels influence.
You did a great job on this. The lyrics reminded me of my youth. Everything about this is top shelf.

This is a winner in my book!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/13/18 03:51 AM
Hello, Herb

Very nice vocals and guitars!
As you mentioned on your SoundClick's page this has certainly the scent of the Eagles.
The new one is harder than the old one and the total volume is more maximized.
I cannot say which is better, but I think that the old one has the Eagles feel more.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/13/18 04:53 AM
Herb,

I had a listen to both the Soundcloud and the Soundclick versions and both sound really good to my ears. I'd have to toss a coin to pick a favourite. First class music all the way.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/13/18 09:06 AM
A fun listen. Definitely from the Marshall Tucker side of town.

The guitars and background vocals are highlights. Nice work on both.

The main vocal is a bit "muffled" sounding. I thought both the drums and bass could use a bit more "punch" (the lead guitar dominants often).

A nice catchiness to the melody (again, quite Tucker sounding).
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/13/18 11:59 AM
Wow - right from the get go, the opening riff is killer! There are tons of highlights here. Your vocal performance is fantastic, especially with the background vocals leading up to hook, and those harmonies at the hook. The groove is fantastic and the whole tune just flows so smoothly. The solos are on point too. I can't think of anything I'd change here, honestly. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio.

You outdid yourself here - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: cliftond Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/13/18 01:10 PM
Now this is some great country music, Herb this is just right in my opinion I love songs like this!!!, Wish they were all like this!!! Keep them coming my friend!!!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/14/18 02:29 PM
Hey.... thanks for listening everyone. Yeah, this was a fun project to redo.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/17/18 11:15 PM
Loved this tune Herb. Super vocal. Really like the way you did the guitars. The intro was very cool the way the guitar solos melded together. Very cool..
Posted By: Al-David Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/18/18 04:59 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Yep you can hear that Marshal Tucker and Charlie Daniels influence.
You did a great job on this. The lyrics reminded me of my youth. Everything about this is top shelf.

This is a winner in my book!

I think Mario said it perfectly. This is a great song - glad you gave it some CPR! Great song and performance. A little beyond cool - well, actually, a lot.

Alan
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/18/18 11:13 AM

Great music and lyrics Herb.

Definitely has the Marshall Tucker vibe.

Super mix.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/21/18 07:52 PM
Herb,

I almost missed this one. Wow! You really nailed the Marshall Tucker sound - love the song and vocal.

Outstanding work here...

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/22/18 11:26 AM
Hey...again, thanks to everyone listening and commenting. I do appreciate the kind words.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/22/18 12:14 PM
I'm really glad you revisited this. It's a genre I really like; and you do it very well. I really enjoyed this...especially your phrasing vocally and guitar.

Nice share Herb!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/22/18 01:12 PM
I remember before I took the plunge to buy biab, I researched a lot of the forum.

And the user showcase, especially for the postings of songs, to hear the potential of biab.

You where one of the members that sold me it, By listening to songs like this I knew then that was the sound I wanted.

Now you cannot get a better applause than that!!.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/22/18 03:09 PM
You really captured that Marshall Tucker country rock era vibe on this one Herb. Cool song and loved your vocal, really pretty harmonies and arrangement. Great job. Glad you redid this one and I didn't miss it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/25/18 08:45 PM
Thanks again for listening to the new commenters......

And yes Beatmaster..... that is a high form of applause. You are one of several here who have come to BB via my music and production.

Glad you all got in and heard this before it fades to digital oblivion.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Revisiting an old song - 06/26/18 02:29 AM
Guitarhacker,

Very Southern Rock; others have nailed it—Tucker, Daniels, etc. Just a fun listen that would play live really well. A head-bobbing tune. Nice job on this one!

Regards,

Deej
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Revisiting an old song - 07/04/18 07:54 PM
Cool song Herb!! Guitar is really cool.....harmonies remind me of the Allman Bros., and solo work is kind of Eaglish. I agree with Floyd that the lead vox could use a bit more definition and drums more punch. Really good stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Revisiting an old song - 07/04/18 09:31 PM
Herb,

This is solid all the way from start to finish—so well done. Definitely that Southern Rock vibe; like the lead guitar solo a lot. Great job on this one!

All the best,

Deej
© PG Music Forums