PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance It's On Us - 06/22/18 12:33 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,
Here's a new one from me. It's a Pop Soul upbeat positive message love one another song. This is the first time I've used the oo's and ah's RT's in a song of mine. Lyrics are below.

It's On Us

Realtracks used include:
Realdrums Nashville Even 16, Realdrums PraiseWorshipUptempo16, Percussion loops, Real Drum Shakers. Real Bass 1434 Jazz Funk Poppy 16. RT 2680 and 2081 Guitars Electric Rhythm Pop8ths. RT 2619 Organ Rhythm Funk. RT 2348 Horn Section. RT BGV - pieces from most.

Thank you for your time listening. I appreciate it and hope you enjoy.

IT'S ON US
©2018 Josie Beck ASCAP
Ooo Ooo
It's on us to turn the wheels around
It's on us to show what love's about
It's on us and we haven't got a minute to wait

If change is ever coming now is the time
We're looking back at Sunday school
and dusting off the Golden Rule
We're all God's children
His rainbow of hands
We're gonna do all that we can do
To make our little lights shine again

When signs are all around us it's no surprise
We're walking the talk we've always heard
and turning love back to an action verb

Ooo it's not too late
Til nobody's left outside
It's on us

Posted By: Noel96 Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 03:14 AM
Josie,

This is s-o-o-o-o-o engaging to listen to. I love it!!! The composition, the rhythm, your singing, the arrangement... everything!

You've certainly come up with some exceptional lyric phrases...

Firstly, I LOVE the opening metaphor, "It's on us to turn the wheels around". It paints the background really well and sets the stage purposefully for the lyrics that are to follow.

And what about "dusting off the Golden Rule"? ..... the way that you've taken the phrase "Golden Rule" and made it into a really easy-to-picture action appealed to me. The description "rainbow of hands" also resonated powerfully... it's a multi-layered phrase that works on many levels.

I really, REALLY enjoyed this journey.

It's terrific to see you again. The site is just not the same when you're not here smile

All the best!
Noel
Posted By: rsdean Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 05:44 AM
Hey Josie,

I love this! Great song and vocal... A very cool sound and vibe.

Outstanding production as well - it's got a "live" feel to it.

Bob
Posted By: beatmaster Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 06:15 AM
Excellent song, loved the instrument choice, along with strong sounding vocals to me gave this a nice modern sound.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 08:03 AM
Carole King!!! And that’s a major compliment! Great job Josie!! Such a sweet vibe and message! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 11:04 AM
Josie,

This is really well done.

A well written "lesson song". Catchy and very "listen-able".

The arrangement and production carry the song perfectly. And nicely mixed. Really nice background vocals (and ooohs). A lot of nice "little touches". The horns work well.

The whole thing harkens back to Motown. Sounds like an early record from Diana Ross and the Supremes - a radio song.

One of your best - in all regards.

fj
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 12:18 PM
Josie, that was GREAT! You've really stepped up your game. There's a lot going on in your song; and going on in the right ways. So many ways you created interest. Great use of the background vocals too!

Special kudos for changing so many things sonicly at 2:10

Great job! More please!
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 02:15 PM
Hi Sundance, Quite enjoyed the organs and vocals in this! Great use of Reverb/space with all the elements. Solid harmonies too. Well done!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 02:54 PM
hi josie I agree with everything said very engaging song well done thanks eric
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Josie,

This is s-o-o-o-o-o engaging to listen to. I love it!!! The composition, the rhythm, your singing, the arrangement... everything!

You've certainly come up with some exceptional lyric phrases...

Firstly, I LOVE the opening metaphor, "It's on us to turn the wheels around". It paints the background really well and sets the stage purposefully for the lyrics that are to follow.

And what about "dusting off the Golden Rule"? ..... the way that you've taken the phrase "Golden Rule" and made it into a really easy-to-picture action appealed to me. The description "rainbow of hands" also resonated powerfully... it's multi-layered phrase that works on many levels.

I really, REALLY enjoyed this journey.

It's terrific to see you again. The site is just not the same when you're not here smile

All the best!
Noel

Thank you so much Noel! I wrote the music first on this song and pages of lyrics before settling on these and keeping it simple. Than as you know, I almost drove myself batty over the mix...at one point I was ready to scrap it all. So I was happy by the grace of God I hung in there and finally just let the chips fall. I won't say the number of tracks on this song just thank God for reaper stems. blush smile I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Hey Josie,

I love this! Great song and vocal... A very cool sound and vibe.

Outstanding production as well - it's got a "live" feel to it.

Bob

Thanks so much Bob!
Posted By: PeterF Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 09:31 PM
Josie

Superb! - not a style often show cased here. Really excellent in all ways.
Great composition.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 10:05 PM
I agree with everything that has been said. Your mix here is very professional.

I loved this!

I think this is your best to date. You should be very proud of this one!
Posted By: Scott C Re: It's On Us - 06/22/18 11:01 PM
Very cool song Josie. Super backtrack. Infectious rhythm to it. Super vocal and lyric..
Posted By: David Snyder Re: It's On Us - 06/23/18 12:12 PM

Wow!

This is super. Construction wise, this sounds like a great classic old song you have heard on the radio a million times, but it is new!

Awesome!

smile

I would like to hear the vocals a tad louder though, just because I love your voice so much.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: It's On Us - 06/23/18 03:05 PM
Josie,
A really good song in an infectious style.So many good things going on with the vocals & harmonies - and the backing has a nice groove.
All your work shines through and I hope you`ll make more like this.

Robert
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 06/23/18 11:21 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Excellent song, loved the instrument choice, along with strong sounding vocals to me gave this a nice modern sound.

Thank you so much! There's a lot of new and retro mixed together in some of my fav pop songs these days so I wanted to do that too.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Carole King!!! And that’s a major compliment! Great job Josie!! Such a sweet vibe and message! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey thank you! I've loved Carole's work forever so that is a wonderful compiiment.
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 06/24/18 12:04 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Josie,

This is really well done.

A well written "lesson song". Catchy and very "listen-able".

The arrangement and production carry the song perfectly. And nicely mixed. Really nice background vocals (and ooohs). A lot of nice "little touches". The horns work well.

The whole thing harkens back to Motown. Sounds like an early record from Diana Ross and the Supremes - a radio song.

One of your best - in all regards.

fj

I appreciate that alot FJ! If I could I'd add a little Motown to almost everything. grin I'm tryiing new things but it's still so hard to get the mix/mastering where i'd like it to be. If I could ever mix one like Bob Ohlisson I'd be happier than a little pig in a big mudhole.
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 06/24/18 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Josie, that was GREAT! You've really stepped up your game. There's a lot going on in your song; and going on in the right ways. So many ways you created interest. Great use of the background vocals too!

Special kudos for changing so many things sonicly at 2:10

Great job! More please!

Thank you so much! It was a fun song to do experimenting with all the different fx and stuff in there. I'm so happy you liked it.
Posted By: critter Re: It's On Us - 06/24/18 02:38 AM
Very cool like the licks.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: It's On Us - 06/24/18 08:17 AM
Really good, Josie!

Great groove happening on this one, and I really like the way you produced the vocals, very effective.

Love the lyrics too, good writing and positive message.

One of your best I think, very much enjoyed!
Posted By: ROG Re: It's On Us - 06/24/18 09:50 AM
Hi Josie,

Well, that is SO professional in every respect.

Lots and lots of interest and texture in the arrangement, which holds
the interest from bar one through to the very end and all very cleverly
put together.

Such a good song with wonderfully relaxed vocals - some of your very best.

Great lyrics, too and everything working so well together.

This is SO commercial, in the best possible sense.

Loved the whole thing.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It's On Us - 06/24/18 11:34 AM

Outstanding Josie!

"It's a Pop Soul upbeat positive message love one another song."

Your description was perfect.

"The whole thing harkens back to Motown. Sounds like an early record from Diana Ross and the Supremes - a radio song."

floyd nailed our feelings. Motown indeed!

The open, air feel of the production is a perfect was to carry your fine vocal. No need to parse it out. it's a great production...everything worked well for us!

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's On Us - 06/24/18 10:05 PM
Josie,

Loved it! This is my kind of music! Somewhere between Carol King and Diana Ross. That's a pretty good meeting place. love the intricate production. great song and nicely out together and sung. Sweet!

Alan
Posted By: animarorecords Re: It's On Us - 06/26/18 02:42 AM
Hello, Josie

Really good!
Everything is great, singing, arrangement and its rhythm as well.
I feel a little bit the old Motown in this tune, such as Diana Ross & the Supremes and it is so wonderful.
I love it much.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: It's On Us - 06/26/18 01:42 PM
You made the vocal Oohs and Aahs sound so good! I almost didn't recognize them! Great job, and a wonderful message. grin
Posted By: furry Re: It's On Us - 06/26/18 04:20 PM
Hi Josie, loved this one. Apologies for not listening to more of your music recently, been kida busy.
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 06/26/18 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe-PG Music
Hi Sundance, Quite enjoyed the organs and vocals in this! Great use of Reverb/space with all the elements. Solid harmonies too. Well done!

Thank you Joe!

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi josie I agree with everything said very engaging song well done thanks eric

Thank you Eric!

Josie

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Superb! - not a style often show cased here. Really excellent in all ways.
Great composition. Peter

Thank you Peter!
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 06/26/18 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I agree with everything that has been said. Your mix here is very professional.

I loved this!

I think this is your best to date. You should be very proud of this one!

Thank you Mario!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool song Josie. Super backtrack. Infectious rhythm to it. Super vocal and lyric..

Thank you Scott!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Wow! This is super. Construction wise, this sounds like a great classic old song you have heard on the radio a million times, but it is new! Awesome! I would like to hear the vocals a tad louder though, just because I love your voice so much.

Thank you David!
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 06/26/18 10:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Josie,
A really good song in an infectious style.So many good things going on with the vocals & harmonies - and the backing has a nice groove.
All your work shines through and I hope you`ll make more like this.
Robert

Thank you Robert!

Originally Posted By: critter
Very cool like the licks.

Thank you Critter! Nice to see you - hope all is going well.
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 06/28/18 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Really good, Josie!

Great groove happening on this one, and I really like the way you produced the vocals, very effective.

Love the lyrics too, good writing and positive message.

One of your best I think, very much enjoyed!

I appreciate that very much! The vocals were done with Neutron Elements EQ on oo/ahs, Nectar 2 various tweaked presets on different bgv groups/parts and Newfangled Audio's Equivocate EQ (a cool freebie I picked up awhile back) on the lead vocal. One of the most challenging things was dialing down all those esses… on so many tracks. grin crazy
Posted By: dani48 Re: It's On Us - 06/28/18 05:28 PM
Hi, Josie !

I love this, just love it !!!
I so like everything with this
production but most of all the
positive upbeat feeling it conveys !!

Wonderful, Josie ....and WOW !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: dcuny Re: It's On Us - 06/28/18 08:45 PM
That was fun! laugh

I'm so glad you didn't give up on this!
Posted By: RnAM Re: It's On Us - 06/30/18 06:21 PM
Josie,

This is different from your other songs!
The oo's and aah's RTs work out fine.
Latin like atmosphere, it has an Astrud Gilberto feel to it.
Posted By: jannesan Re: It's On Us - 07/02/18 01:55 PM
Very nice groovy motown feel upbeat song, a song I would gladly listen to while jogging to give me good pace. All instruments are so well present - especially bass and organ.

Janne
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: It's On Us - 07/05/18 12:21 PM
Wow - what a tune! Your vocal performance is unreal, and the production is top notch too. I'm getting some Feist vibes here for a modern comparison - it is remind me of an artist from the 70's I grew up listening to that I can't put my finger on. Great groove too and the hook is the perfect level of catchy.

Great job, ands thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 07/08/18 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Josie,

Well, that is SO professional in every respect.

Lots and lots of interest and texture in the arrangement, which holds
the interest from bar one through to the very end and all very cleverly
put together.

Such a good song with wonderfully relaxed vocals - some of your very best.

Great lyrics, too and everything working so well together.

This is SO commercial, in the best possible sense.

Loved the whole thing.

Cheers, ROG.

Thank you so much Roger!
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 07/08/18 05:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Outstanding Josie!

"It's a Pop Soul upbeat positive message love one another song."

Your description was perfect.

"The whole thing harkens back to Motown. Sounds like an early record from Diana Ross and the Supremes - a radio song."

floyd nailed our feelings. Motown indeed!

The open, air feel of the production is a perfect was to carry your fine vocal. No need to parse it out. it's a great production...everything worked well for us!

Kudos!

J&B

Thanks so much Janice and Bud! Wishing you all the best with the new album. Great accomplishment and I couldn't be prouder and happier for you both!
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 07/08/18 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Josie,

Loved it! This is my kind of music! Somewhere between Carol King and Diana Ross. That's a pretty good meeting place. love the intricate production. great song and nicely out together and sung. Sweet!

Alan

Thanks so much Al & Di! I know how frustrating it is not to be able to record. I hope y'all overcome that obstacle and meanwhile I'm enjoying the remixes.
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 07/08/18 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Josie

Really good!
Everything is great, singing, arrangement and its rhythm as well.
I feel a little bit the old Motown in this tune, such as Diana Ross & the Supremes and it is so wonderful.
I love it much.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you Shigeki! I'm always amazed by your productions.
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 07/08/18 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
You made the vocal Oohs and Aahs sound so good! I almost didn't recognize them! Great job, and a wonderful message. grin

Thank you so much Ember! It's so cool to have those bgv tracks to work with.
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 07/08/18 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Hi Josie, loved this one. Apologies for not listening to more of your music recently, been kida busy.

Thank you very much! I'm happy you listen when you can. I know how those life distractions can pile up on ya.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: It's On Us - 07/08/18 08:26 PM
Josie, this is excellent! Great arrangement. Nice job on the vocals, and the mix is very impressive. I really like this one! (Great message, too.)

Steve
Posted By: Tano Music Re: It's On Us - 07/10/18 09:57 AM
Josie..Absolutely loved this! Everything about it—the overall construction, your vocal, background oohs, production level..just really excellent. I liked those little sax riffs that you put in the background, just soft enough that your ear can pick them out. I liked the way you wound the song down at the end and especially that nice clear ending, emphasizing your focused message. Thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: It's On Us - 07/12/18 02:46 PM
WONDERFUL!!! You've captured that great Motown vibe...catchy and infectious. Great to see you posting again Josie. Come around often!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's On Us - 07/18/18 01:56 PM
Greg, Tano, Steve, Deryk, Janne, Rob & Anne-Marie, David C., and Dani - thank you all so much for listening and your comments. Forgive me for not replying sooner and to you each individually. I wish they didn't but those danged old real life distractions get in my way sometimes. I appreciate each of you, your wonderfully diverse talent and your thoughtful encouragement very much.

Josie
© PG Music Forums