your favorite alibis
   hiding your intentions
   only makes 'em clearer
   it's what you're made of
   smoke and mirrors

The BAND:

RealTracks in song: 1418:Bass, Electric, SouthernRock Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 380:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 2690 Guitar, Electric, Soloist Slow16thsPopBrentSimple Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 2203:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopPromiseBrent Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 623:Banjo, Background Backporch Ev 098
RealTracks in song: 3020 Vocal Aahs, Background Pop3-part Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: ModernPopBallad16ths^01-a:Quiet hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

Harmonies: Janice Merritt (Thanks to you both!!)

Comments welcomed and encouraged.
Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: rsdean Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/23/18 06:07 PM
Floyd,

A really excellent song... Love your vocal and the harmonies by Janice. Great arrangement and mix as well. Some high production values here!

Loved it.

Bob
Posted By: Biglad Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/23/18 07:21 PM
Great production again. Vocal and harmonies are spot on ,another great write.well done to you all
Posted By: MarioD Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/23/18 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

A really excellent song... Love your vocal and the harmonies by Janice. Great arrangement and mix as well. Some high production values here!

Loved it.

Bob

I agree 100%.

This is another winner from Floyd and Janice!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/23/18 08:36 PM
Floyd

That was a song I would swear I've heard before, because its catchy and commercial and just so easy going and simple.

I'm singing the chorus as I type.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/23/18 10:46 PM
Cool song. Sounds great!!!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/23/18 11:45 PM
Floyd,

All the hallmarks of a Floyd rocker are there- sharp, honed lyrics, feeling and prescence in the vocals, a punchy chorus and nothing out of place in the production.
So darn good.
I should add I enjoyed thinking about who I pictured as the song`s villain... could be wrong, but if I`m right, someone call Stephen Colbert and get Floyd on the show!

Robert
Posted By: critter Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/24/18 02:37 AM
Another great one from the master king.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/24/18 08:41 AM
Yeah, I love this!

Vocal and harmonies are spot on.

Great job on the write and I really like the chorus, very strong.

Production as always is top notch, man, those drums! Such a great sound.

Enjoyed the listen, floyd!
Posted By: ROG Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/24/18 09:39 AM
Hi Floyd,

A fabulous track and for me, it has to be my favourite so far.

A wonderful production with so much going on, yet all still coherent and everything
in it's own space. Excellent stereo both on the mains and the 'phones. Loved the whole
thing, but especially the sound of the bass and the kick drum, which REALLY kicked.

Great lyrics, melody, harmony and super performance from both you and Janice.

All this and a guitar solo too! I'd like to think you put that in just for me, but
I have to be realistic....

Not been here as much as I'd like recently, but happy to have caught this one.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/24/18 12:24 PM
What? What?! WHAT?!? Who wrote this? Did you hire a ghost writer? Floyd, you are a MASTER of story telling in a song. That's your lane. Stick to it. You are NOT allowed to venture over to the "non-specific listener fill in their own story" lyric and dominate that too! No! No! No! Go back to what you were great at before you were great at this please. I'm not sure how you got in here, but...security!

Seriously, I am beyond impressed. I love everything about this song.

The lyrics are fantastic...
Quote:

hiding your intentions
only make 'em clearer

the production is fantastic...
You had me at the drums and never lost me. Everything is clear and represented so well.

The performance is fantastic...
Anyone with ears and a heart can tell that!

The arrangement is fantastic...
Love the structure and how parts move in and out as they should. A sprinkle of guitar between vocal phrasing to keep in interest, the backing vocals at chorus two forward for heightening was OMG! I'll stop but...just...wow!

Melodically, THAT sir, was CATCHY!

I noticed people only bring Janice in when they have a song good enough to be awesome. Or is it when people bring Janice in, the song is now awesome? OH! That's what it is! (secret to a great song there.)

You may want to consider a name change. Drop the "e" in "Jane" and just add "ice." wink

**Edit**

Oh yeah, if this song is about me, then forget everything I said. Actually, I wouldn't be able to deny that it would still be my favorite song I've heard on the forum so far. smile

Thank you for making this song!

Posted By: David Snyder Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/24/18 12:27 PM
Floyd,

I swear to God I have heard this before. Maybe it was in a conversation or something, but I KNOW I have heard these words before.

Strangely enough, I think I know WHO it is about.

I called Carly and she swore it wasn't about Mick, so now I think I know for sure. But I ain't saying.

smile

Great song man!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/24/18 01:38 PM
Oh now I remember who it was about. Caaron, we need to talk man. I want you to be sitting down and take a deep breath first though.

Kidding!!!!!!

smile

Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/24/18 04:35 PM
Floyd,

Loved it.

Bob

Appreciate that, Bob - and thanks for your continued support...

Originally Posted By: Biglad
Great production again. Vocal and harmonies are spot on ,another great write.well done to you all

Thanks for having a listen, John...
Posted By: Scott C Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/24/18 07:36 PM
Boy this song has such a cool feel to it. Lyrics were just excellent. You tell such a great story with you lyrics. Super vocal and harmonies were so well done. I just loved the guitar on it. Just growled on the low register and the highs have such a cool bite to them.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/24/18 09:38 PM
As a self-proclaimed songwriter/lyricist, I'm supposed to be able to come up with new, catchy ways to say something. But ya know what, Floyd? I agree with all that has been said. The only words that comes to mind I've not yet seen is ... WOW!

It's a great song, production and delivery in every sense of the word. Who says only Nashville can produce top-quality country music suitable for the massive audience of the genre? Some of those Nashville suits might want to have their guys take a listen to this - they might get a real good lesson on lyric writing, production technique,arrangement and delivery. That's all I have to say about this gem.

Alan
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/25/18 02:41 AM
Hello, floyd

Excellent song!
Very catchy and melodically,.
Really love your vocal and the harmonies by Janice.
The chord progressions repeated one after the other with descent and ascend of the bass line many times are very powerful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: PeterF Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/25/18 03:23 AM
floyd

Loved it!
Brilliant song writing - great concise lyric and a really catchy hook.
Janice & you always sound wonderful together and this is no exception.
Superb production & excellent all round.

Peter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/25/18 10:38 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd,

Loved it.

Bob

I agree 100%.

Thanks, Mario.

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Floyd

That was a song I would swear I've heard before, because its catchy and commercial and just so easy going and simple.

I'm singing the chorus as I type.

beatmaster - what more could a songwriter/producer want to hear???... Thanks!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/25/18 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Cool song. Sounds great!!!

Thanks, Josie.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

All the hallmarks of a Floyd rocker are there- sharp, honed lyrics, feeling and prescence in the vocals, a punchy chorus and nothing out of place in the production.
So darn good.
I should add I enjoyed thinking about who I pictured as the song`s villain... could be wrong, but if I`m right, someone call Stephen Colbert and get Floyd on the show!

Robert

Appreciate all that, Robert. Let me know if you run into Stephen Colbert!!!

wink
Posted By: P Glaser Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/25/18 05:13 PM
Holy Cow! First class all the way!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/25/18 05:30 PM
Fun listen, solidly done all around. Loved the banjo poking through near the end.

The only nit is "what you're made of"... Hey, I had to look for something! grin

It's a good reminder that it I looked hard enough, I could find everything I needed to build my track in BiaB.

Except for Janice, of course! laugh
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/26/18 02:27 AM
Floyd,

Boy, I really like this tune. The repetition of “twisted’ in the chorus really gives this tune a hook—magnetic. But the lyrics just work throughout the song and it’s what, for me, makes this song work in all the right ways. Killer guitar solo, BTW. Add to it the great production—you have a terrific song here. Bravo!

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/26/18 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: critter
Another great one from the master king.

Steve - thanks, again, for stopping in...always good to hear from you...
Posted By: PeterF Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/26/18 08:25 PM
floyd,
Sent Leon a link and he said:

"Tell Floyd great job from me"

Peter (it's the best I can do....)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/27/18 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah, I love this!

Thanks, Dave...really appreciate that...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/28/18 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

A fabulous track and for me, it has to be my favourite so far.

A wonderful production with so much going on, yet all still coherent and everything
in it's own space. Excellent stereo both on the mains and the 'phones. Loved the whole
thing, but especially the sound of the bass and the kick drum, which REALLY kicked.

Great lyrics, melody, harmony and super performance from both you and Janice.

All this and a guitar solo too! I'd like to think you put that in just for me, but
I have to be realistic....

Not been here as much as I'd like recently, but happy to have caught this one.

Cheers, ROG.

thanks, ROG. I always look forward to hear what you might have to say about how things sound through the mains... and, yes! I do think about you every time I mix a solo... What Will ROG Think?? smile
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/28/18 12:14 PM
I really love the chorus. It's so punchy and really sticks with you. I can definitely relate to this song right now. Thank you for sharing this song with us all. Also just wanted to say that the lyrics of this song are really lovely and perfect.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/28/18 05:06 PM
Hi, Floyd and Janice !:))

You´ve just produced my
new Floydfav !
Ubelievable wonderful
and such a superb collab
too !

Congrats to both of you !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/29/18 10:50 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
What? What?! WHAT?!? Who wrote this? Did you hire a ghost writer? Floyd, you are a MASTER of story telling in a song. That's your lane. Stick to it. You are NOT allowed to venture over to the "non-specific listener fill in their own story" lyric and dominate that too! No! No! No! Go back to what you were great at before you were great at this please. I'm not sure how you got in here, but...security!

Quote:

hiding your intentions
only make 'em clearer

You had me at the drums and never lost me. Everything is clear and represented so well.

Love the structure and how parts move in and out as they should. A sprinkle of guitar between vocal phrasing to keep in interest, the backing vocals at chorus two forward for heightening was OMG! I'll stop but...just...wow!

I noticed people only bring Janice in when they have a song good enough to be awesome. Or is it when people bring Janice in, the song is now awesome? OH! That's what it is! (secret to a great song there.)

You may want to consider a name change. Drop the "e" in "Jane" and just add "ice." wink

**Edit**

Oh yeah, if this song is about me, then forget everything I said. Actually, I wouldn't be able to deny that it would still be my favorite song I've heard on the forum so far. smile

I'm not sure "Thank you" suffices for such a wonderful review... you definitely made my day! (and I'm sure Janice would say "thanks", too.. she is a treasure...)
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/29/18 11:46 AM
Tight as all get- out! Floyd and Janice, this is really, really nice work... in every aspect. Kudos!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/30/18 12:38 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Floyd,

I swear to God I have heard this before. Maybe it was in a conversation or something, but I KNOW I have heard these words before.

Strangely enough, I think I know WHO it is about.

I called Carly and she swore it wasn't about Mick, so now I think I know for sure. But I ain't saying.

smile

Great song man!!

Yes... it's a song about Carly Simon...

smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/30/18 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Boy this song has such a cool feel to it. Lyrics were just excellent. You tell such a great story with you lyrics. Super vocal and harmonies were so well done. I just loved the guitar on it. Just growled on the low register and the highs have such a cool bite to them.

Scott - thanks for your continued support...appreciate it...
Posted By: RnAM Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/30/18 05:29 PM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

This has a slightly more rock feel, than some of your previous recordings.
Very cool chord progression and craftsmanship as usual.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/30/18 07:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
As a self-proclaimed songwriter/lyricist, I'm supposed to be able to come up with new, catchy ways to say something. But ya know what, Floyd? I agree with all that has been said. The only words that comes to mind I've not yet seen is ... WOW!

It's a great song, production and delivery in every sense of the word. Who says only Nashville can produce top-quality country music suitable for the massive audience of the genre? Some of those Nashville suits might want to have their guys take a listen to this - they might get a real good lesson on lyric writing, production technique,arrangement and delivery. That's all I have to say about this gem.

Alan

Alan - thanks for that nice review!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 06/30/18 07:52 PM
Floyd,

Loved it.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Biglad

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd,

Loved it.

Bob

I agree 100%.

Hey y’all! Thanks for mentioning the harmony. When floyd invites me in I always know it’s going to be music fun!

Janice
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/01/18 01:14 AM
A great write, performance and production. You really have the drums popping on this one. You and Janice are developing an almost signature sound and there's a tightness that can't be overlooked. Enjoyed this one a lot.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/02/18 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah, I love this!

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Quote:

hiding your intentions
only make 'em clearer

**Edit**

Originally Posted By: Scott C

I really appreciate y'all mentioning the harmony!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/03/18 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

Excellent song!
The chord progressions repeated one after the other with descent and ascend of the bass line many times are very powerful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - Thanks for listening to another! And for the nice review...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/04/18 10:22 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Loved it!

Peter

Thanks, Peter...can't ask for better comments than that!...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/04/18 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

Excellent song!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

floyd

Loved it!

Peter

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Fun listen, solidly done all around. Loved the banjo poking through near the end.

It's a good reminder that it I looked hard enough, I could find everything I needed to build my track in BiaB.

Thanks for commenting on the harmony!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/05/18 11:15 AM
Originally Posted By: P Glaser
Holy Cow! First class all the way!

Paul - I certainly appreciate that. Thanks for stopping in for a listen...
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/05/18 02:38 PM
TOP TOP TOP NOTCH!!! As a bunch of songwriters, all of us know how difficult it is to find rhymes which are not overused or lines that are fresh and really convey the message. Floyd does it all the time, and beautifully so here. This is so sharply written and so well produced. The repeated use of "twisted" makes the hook even hookier. Great melody, great write, great production, and great use of "the band"! Another home run Floyd!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/06/18 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks, David. I corrected my spelling error. smile I don't know about "looking hard" - but there is so much to choose from, you seldom need to look elsewhere - and looking is half the fun. (Oooh! Song title! Don't steal that one...).

It is surprising there isn't a Janice RT yet...

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Boy, I really like this tune. The repetition of “twisted’ in the chorus really gives this tune a hook—magnetic. But the lyrics just work throughout the song and it’s what, for me, makes this song work in all the right ways. Killer guitar solo, BTW. Add to it the great production—you have a terrific song here. Bravo!

All the best,

Deej

Deej - thanks for the nice review...

floyd,
Sent Leon a link and he said:

"Tell Floyd great job from me"

Peter (it's the best I can do....)

Peter - thanks for relaying the message! Nice to hear form Leon! smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/07/18 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I really love the chorus. It's so punchy and really sticks with you. I can definitely relate to this song right now. Thank you for sharing this song with us all. Also just wanted to say that the lyrics of this song are really lovely and perfect.

Ember - Thanks for having a listen to this one....

Originally Posted By: dani48

You´ve just produced my
new Floydfav !
Ubelievable wonderful
and such a superb collab
too !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks, Dani - we appreciate it..
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/08/18 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: DIOECHOOTO
Tight as all get- out! Floyd and Janice, this is really, really nice work... in every aspect. Kudos!

Eric - thanks for stopping by for a listen...

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks to you both...
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/08/18 08:46 PM
Floyd, this is as well written and performed as anything I have heard from you. The mix on this is as good as it gets! You have raised the bar once again!

Steve
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/09/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: dani48

You´ve just produced my
new Floydfav !
Ubelievable wonderful
and such a superb collab
too !

Cheers
Dani

Originally Posted By: DIOECHOOTO

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Rob and Anne-Marie

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
A great write, performance and production. You really have the drums popping on this one. You and Janice are developing an almost signature sound and there's a tightness that can't be overlooked. Enjoyed this one a lot.

Thanks y’all. I know it’s gonna be fun when floyd invites me to Sing!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/10/18 11:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Thanks for the nice review, Charlie. I love singing with Janice - we've been at it for at least 5 years now... one of the great advantages of this forum...
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/11/18 12:08 AM
Fabulous job, Floyd. There's only one thing wrong with this song, and I do mean only one. I didn't write it. Waaaaaa!
Posted By: cliftond Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/11/18 10:57 AM
A great song in every way, the vocals, lead and harmony are so clear and consistent, the music is just amazing, and the lyrics define the emotion so well. Great song Floyd and Janice!!!!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/11/18 11:01 AM
Hi floyd. This is excellent. That is quite a list of realtracks. Wonderful production all round.
Posted By: rayc Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/12/18 07:31 AM
Excellent songwriting & vocal performance.
The arrangement, production and mix, (that wonderful kick that kicks), mark you out as a classic.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/13/18 09:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
TOP TOP TOP NOTCH!!! As a bunch of songwriters, all of us know how difficult it is to find rhymes which are not overused or lines that are fresh and really convey the message. Floyd does it all the time, and beautifully so here. This is so sharply written and so well produced. The repeated use of "twisted" makes the hook even hookier. Great melody, great write, great production, and great use of "the band"! Another home run Floyd!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - thanks for that very nice comment. Could not ask for any more than that!!

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Floyd, this is as well written and performed as anything I have heard from you. The mix on this is as good as it gets! You have raised the bar once again!

Steve

Steve - I really appreciate all of that... Thanks!

Originally Posted By: guitar1
Fabulous job, Floyd. There's only one thing wrong with this song, and I do mean only one. I didn't write it. Waaaaaa!

Thanks, Gary...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/13/18 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
A great song in every way, the vocals, lead and harmony are so clear and consistent, the music is just amazing, and the lyrics define the emotion so well. Great song Floyd and Janice!!!!

Thanks, Cliff, for that very nice review...

Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi floyd. This is excellent. That is quite a list of realtracks. Wonderful production all round.

Joanne - thanks for stopping in...

Originally Posted By: rayc
Excellent songwriting & vocal performance.
The arrangement, production and mix, (that wonderful kick that kicks), mark you out as a classic.

ray - thanks for having a listen....
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 07/20/18 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond

Thanks for mentioning my part. I always look forward to singing with floyd!

Janice
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 08/08/18 09:09 AM
floyd,

I might late to the party with this one but WOW! that has done nothing to diminish just how impressed I am with what I've just heard (a few times, in fact).

As you know, your writing has been inspirational to me in so, so many ways over the years. This chorus is a fantastic example of creating a list chorus. It's not a skill I have but I think with a little of my own modelling based on how you've done it here, I might, at last, be able to create one.

These lyrics flow so incredibly well, too. As I was reading them out loud, I marvelled at how you managed to join the words together so seamlessly while maintaining an easy conversational lyric flow.

I really enjoyed this a great deal. You and Janice sound really awesome singing together!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 11/30/20 09:41 PM
I really love the feel and flow of this one Floyd! Especially partial to the texture change in the chorus!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 11/30/20 11:37 PM
What can i say that others haven't?

Polished to perfection.
Excellent writing!
Fantastic vocals.

Mixed just right.

And..............a timely message.

Well done!

moto
Posted By: Kajun Jeaux Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 09/25/22 02:52 AM
Great job on that one, Floyd. To tell the truth they're all top quality...

Kajun Jeaux

Posted By: Derochette Re: Smoke And Mirrors - 09/25/22 04:05 PM
Hi floyd jane,

Composition always so well done. All the ingredients for pleasing are present. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
© PG Music Forums